SM LC Flying spam is not dead (peaked #1)

Hi everyone.

So I actually made this team to prove how powerful diglett and drifloon can be once put together on the same team. And now, well… To be honest, I still don’t know if I would like them to be banned…

Anyway, maybe you will get an opinion by looking at this rmt (which is also my first one here).

While trying to prove how cheated these two mons are I actually went higher and higher in the ladder and I finally decided to try to make a peak.

So did I as you can see here:

So, let’s get started with the team process:

Since I wanted to prove diglett and drifloon’s power, I began by choosing both of them as the base of my team. I chose the acrobatic set of drifloon cause I actually wanted to try a Flying-spam. After all, since fletching is pretty much useless now, peoples usually give less attention to the flying-resist and that’s in my opinion something that can be used to break through their teams.

Since I wanted to build around a flying-spam, I basically had the choice between three mons: Vullaby, Doduo and Rufflet. But I also wanted to be able to get rid of flying-type checks by using diglett’s ability. So I chose Rufflet because of his access to U-turn.

Then I figured out that the rocks really were annoying, since I had two flying-types and diglett which had the focus sash. So I decided to add the mon which is for me by far the best spinner in LC in SM, bulky Staryu.

Then I decided to take something that would allow me to have an answer to vullaby, shellder and most of the set-up mons, while completing the VoltTurn core. So I chose Magnemite.

Finally I simply chose something that would provide me some switch-ins while helping the team with some support. That’s why I chose Snubbull, since he was able to switch-in on most of the physical attackers, while being able to help the team with heal bell (in case were drifloon or ruffles would be burned by the contact with a Ponyta, and so on) and by removing some of the opponent’s items thanks to Thief.

The team in depth:

Item:
/ Ability: Unburden

Evs: 196 Atk, 84 Def, 196 Spe, 4 SpDef/ Adamant Nature

-Acrobatics

-Will-O-Wisp

-Substitute

-Recycle​

Here it is, one of the most controversial mon in LC. To be honest, I think it is really powerful. Don’t really know if it is too much for LC, but anyway. So the set is a quite classical one, which was one of the most used in ORAS. So the goal is simply to burn any physical sweeper that would try to stop you, then use substitute if needed to activate the berry juice and then make big damages with Acro. This set wins against Pawniard and Mienfoo if they switch-in when you use substitute.

On the one hand it is true that the burn nerf doesn’t allow Drifloon to « stall-out » his opponents as before, but on the other hand flying-type moves are even better than they were in ORAS since the flying-resist seems to be less present than they were in ORAS. And anyway, even if your opponent has a flying-resist, there’s a big chance that it will be handled by the next mon…

Item:
/Ability: Arena trap

Evs: 36 HP, 236 Atk, 236 Spe/ Timid Nature

-Earthquake

-Stealth rock

-Rock slide

-Sucker punch​

This mon is great. I wanted to see it banned when I first made this team, but after playing it… Well I’m not so sure about this. Anyway, the set is pretty classical too. I put stealth rocks on him because I couldn’t put it on anyone else and anyway, it’s pretty cool after all. Because diglett is usually pretty useless when there isn’t any « big threat » to trap. Since it has stealth rocks, well it isn’t that useless even against those teams. And I also have to say it’s quite funny to switch-in on a volt switch from a scarfed mon and set up your rocks before you remove that electric-type.

I chose the focus sash set to make the stealth rock easier to set but also because pawniard is a quite big threat to this team. So the focus sash allows me to take him out if needed. There’s not a lot more to say: Diglett really is the most important mon in this team since he is the one who allows Rufflet and Drifloon to clean the game by removing their counters (And there are a lot of them: Chinchou and Magnemite of course, but also Ponyta which can be annoying with its Flame body and high speed that allows it to burn Drifloon before it can use Substitute, and so on).

Item:
/Ability: Hustle

Evs: 252 Atk, 36 Def, 196 Spe/ Jolly Nature

-Return

-U-turn

-Superpower

-Aerial ace(/Brave Bird)​

That mon really is something in SM. It really hits like a truck and the Choice scarf allows him to outspeed almost everything in the meta. I chose to use Aerial ace even though it can now use Brave bird for two reasons: first I don’t want to lose many Hps on my own attack since rufflet is there to sweep and not just to make big holes in my opponent’s team, and secondly I want to have a way to revenge kill dangerous mons such as snivy without fearing the miss. That being said, I still have to admit that Brave Bird hits so much stronger than aerial ace that it can be interesting, so you can of course play it with Brave bird if you prefer it like that.

U-turn helps a lot, it allows to send diglett if needed and that really is great since diglett can’t really switch-in as he wants. Finally, the 36 Evs in defense allows Rufflet to hold jolly +2 Pawniard’s sucker punch 62 % of the time (while without this Evs the OHKO would be guaranteed).

Item:
/Ability: Natural Cure

Evs: 116 HP, 156 SpDef, 236 Spe/Timid Nature/ 0 Ivs Atk

-Scald

-Recover

-Rapid Spin

-Ice Beam​

Staryu was already really good in ORAS but I feel it clearly is the best spinner in SM LC. It’s decent bulk and his great movepool allow him to spin quite easily and even the classical spin blockers can’t really come that safely since Ice beam usually deals a lot of damages to them since the main spin blockers right now are Pumpkaboo and Drifloon. That mon really is important for the team since a lot of mons are weak to stealth rocks. It’s also probably the best pokemon when it comes to deal some damage to Mudbray since scald will 2HKO it most of the time.

There’s not a lot more to say, I chose Ice beam so that I could hit Pumpkaboo while being still able to damage a bit Foongus (which can be useful if snubbull achieved to take his eviolite)

Item:
/Ability: Sturdy

Evs: 36 Def, 236 SpAtk, 236 Spe/Modest Nature

-Recycle

-Endure

-Volt Switch

-Flash Cannon​

That’s a really classical set so I won’t explain the reasons of each move’s presence, but I will explain why I chose him to be in this team. So as I said before, I needed something to revenge kill something that would have achieved to set-up because some mons in this team allow this set-up. So we can take the example of Vullaby which can set-up on Drifloon. And the thing is that there aren’t a lot of mon that can really stop a placed Vullaby and even less that can stop it while fitting in this team -for instance by completing the VoltTurn core. That’s the main reason why I chose him. I also have to say that I don’t really have any other way to deal with Fairies (since diglett doesn’t have sludge bomb) so it’s flash cannon can be really useful.

Item:
/Ability: Intimidate

Evs: 44 Hp, 196 Atk, 196 Def, 36 SpDef, 36 Spe/Adamant Nature

-Play Rough

-Fire Punch

-Thief

-Heal Bell​

That’s the last mon who joined the team but it actually is very useful. It’s access to heal bell saved several games and Thief allows him to get an item and can be used a bit like Knock-off even though it’s a bit more difficult to use effectively. Play Rough is the obvious stab, and Fire Punch is the move chosen over Earthquake since it usually is there to handle fire and poison types and diglett traps them. So I chose Fire Punch which allows me to handle Ferroseed more easily.

Threatlist:

Can be very annoying since my only real way to get rid of him is to trap him with Diglett (and it will cost me my sash). If this mon really annoys you, you can play Drifloon with the Jolly nature over the adamant one since it will allow you to outspend him and potentially win the 1v1 (or at least burn him which is always really useful).

Men that mon is far too powerful, ban it please. Seriously, it can trap a lot of things in this team and if your opponents plays well he can get rid of the most important mon (depending on the match-up, for instance staryu if your opponent plays a lots of entry hazards, and so on). just ban this thing please :c

Can actually be really annoying in only one case: if it gets two flinches in a row over Magnemite. If it happens, well… You can just cry… That’s more or less the best you can do.

+
The full hazards teams can be pretty annoying since a lot of mons in this team really hate hazards. If you face one of these team then you should get rid of the hazard setters as soon as possible and quickly begin the sweep with drifloon or the game might be over.

Here are the importable and some replays:

Importable:
Drifloon @ Berry Juice
Ability: Unburden
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Atk / 84 Def / 4 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Recycle
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

Diglett @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Slide

Magnemite @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Recycle
- Endure

Rufflet @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Return

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 156 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Snubbull @ Berry Juice
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Play Rough
- Thief
- Heal Bell

So that’s all, I hope you enjoyed reading this rmt (even though I probably did a lot of mistakes :/). See ya :)

Last edited:

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
Hey Adri!

So first of all, I would replace Acrobatics with Hex on Drifloon, and change the EVs and nature accordingly. This allows you to beat a lot of Pokemon that resist Acrobatics and allows you to beat Rest Talk Mudbray. It may not hit Normal-types, but there aren't too common and the rest of your team deals with them just fine.

I would also replace Focus Sash with Life Orb on Diglett. Life Orb secures you a lot more kills, and allows you to help defeat certain mons such as Eviolite Chinchou easier. It does a lot more damage that Diglett really needs, and you often find yourself not needing the Sash anyways. Even though you are carrying Stealth Rocks, I would still use Life Orb over Focus Sash because it helps you trap and kill so many more things.

I would really use Brave Bird over Aerial Ace. Rufflet is not a sweeper really, it is more of a wallbreaker, there to punch holes into the enemy team that they cannot ignore. Brave Bird is so much harder to switch into because it does so much damage. Even resists have a hard time switching into it, often taking a ton of damage trying to switch in. You could also cut Return or Superpower and use both Aerial Ace and Brave Bird so you can have the option of huge damage or consistent damage.

Finally, Thunderbolt over Ice Beam on Staryu. Your team already has several ways to deal with Grass-types in Drifloon and Rufflet, and Thunderbolt allows you to hit opposing Staryu and Flying-types. Since Staryu is the best spinner in the tier, you will see it a lot and having Thunderbolt to deal with it is very helpful.

Hope you find this rate helpful!

Thx for the comment ^^
Hex on drifloon might be a good idea yeah, I'm gonna try it.
For diglett well... The problem is that pawniard is really threatening and to handle it while holding the LO I would be forced to run Sub... Which wouldn't really be good since I couldn't then keep sucker punch (which is really useful :/)

For Rufflet, well... To be honest, the matches I lost were mainly due to Rufflet's miss, so I don't really want to have only moves that aren't 100% accurate XD
More seriously, I think Brave bird might be a decent option too, so I will maybe slash it with Aerial ace and test it to see what I prefer ^^

And for staryu yeah, to be honest I tried thunderbolt, Ice beam and psychic and never really decided about that XD
But I guess Thunderbolt might be the best choice (even though I like the idea of being able to threaten the spinblockers that would come on staryu... I will try it out)

Thanks again for the rate ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)