SM OU Flying Spam, starring M-Pinsir and Z-Salamence!

Hello, everybody! I've been focusing more on the early stages of UU and RU than OU, but I made this team yesterday and it's so far it's been performing really well. That doesn't mean it cannot be improved of course, so I'd love to hear your input :D

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

A great set-up sweeper-- fun for you, scary for the opponent. After a dragon dance, SSSS nukes anything that doesn't resist it. Moxie really helps the late game sweep. At 1.5 speed, Salamence outspeeds scarf Lele and other slower scarfers. Earthquake is good coverage for hitting heatran, or any stray steels not taken care of by the next member of our lineup, none other than:

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Magnezone is a standard part of any flying spam team. Traps and eliminates troublesome steel-types which could pose problems for Salamence and M-Pinsir: skarmory, celesteela, ferrothorn, etc. Specs are standard. Minimum investment in speed, as I don't really value speed on specs Mag. The move set is fairly self-explanatory.

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

This thing can tear through teams. It can wall-break for its partner Salamence (or vice versa). After a swords dance, this thing hits like a truck. I'll link to a replay where this guy just tears through bulky mon after bulky mon. As well as ripping apart bulky mons, quick attack allows it to clean against fragile offensive mons.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 16 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness

Everyone's favorite defogger! I'm always doubtful that I'm using the most effective EV spread with Fini, so if you have any input on that, I'd appreciate it. Defogs for Pinsir and Sal. Taunt has enormous utility, preventing setup, hazards, opposing defog, etc. Moonblast is standard STAB move. I use nature's madness in the 4th slot to take big chunks out of switch-ins.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

I use defensive rocky helmet Lando-T as my rocker and a great pivot. I'm also not sure about this spread. Do the 8 SpD EVs really help that much against HP Ice? Also the speed EVs could be put towards more bulk. I prefer knock off to stone edge in the 4th slot, as otherwise I wouldn't have any access to knock off on this team.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Scarf Lele is for speed control and is a great mon to sop up any potential survivors of the flying spam tag team. A great glue mon, obviously (also just a great mon period). I teeter between Shadow Ball and HP Fire, but feel that HP Fire on Lele is less relevant since I have Magnezone to take out opposing steels.

Importable:
Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 16 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

A few replays (the third is particularly lulzy):
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-517622695
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-517636293
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-517644589

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Hey nice team. One of the biggest threats I could see to this team was Tapu Lele. This is a huge threat since a Magnezone without Assault Vest fails to switch in multiple times. Landorus-T is also a huge threat to this team as your main way of dealing with it is your own Landorus-T, but that set fails to even beat Rockium Z Landorus-T. With Intimidate, Landorus-T can also setup on your own Landorus-T, a choice locked Magnezone, and even a weakened Salamence. Other than that the team looks pretty solid, so here are my changes.

On Landorus-T running Hidden Power Ice over Knock Off could help a ton. Hidden Power Ice's main use is to smack opposing Landorus-T with a powerful hit, meaning it cannot setup +2, +2 on you like it normally would. This definitely helps your team out vs opposing DD Lando-T teams as you shut down a potential threat and put it in range of attacks from Salamence, and Mega Pinsir. This wouldn't hurt your team as Knock Off's main usage is to knock off things that would normally switch into Landorus-T, like Celesteela, but with access to U-Turn you could easily just trap it with Magnezone. Also running 8 speed lets you outpace other Landorus and 2hko with HP Ice
Running Assault Vest over Choice Specs is a fantastic option. Firstly, AV Magnezone can switch into Tapu Lele with ease, making this pokemon much less of a threat. One other great factor about it is it gets to switch moves. This could be crucial when playing a team of say Celesteela, and Tapu Bulu. You can trap the Celesteela, with Thunderbolt, and blow away the Tapu Bulu with Flash Cannon. (This usually works as if they think you're choiced locked they would most likely predict a Superpower resist coming in like Tapu Fini.) This won't hurt your team too much as the extra bulk is usually a lot more useful than the extra power, especially vs offense teams.

Not much to change about this, I'd just prefer a different set. First of all, running Scald over Moonblast is one of the biggest changes. Scald allows you to burn things like Celesteela, Skarmory, and Tapu Bulu. Weakening these threats, specifically Celesteela opens a door for either Salamence, or Mega Pinsir to sweep. Also running 248/200+ Defense is usually the set I use, since running 16 SPDef has no real use, while the defense lets you eat phsyical hits such as Alola-Marowak's Shadow Bone, or Latios' Psyshock better. Also an odd HP number is used so you can switch into rocks an extra time.

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Scald
- Nature's Madness

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

have fun :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)