Furret and the Girls

Hi there Smogon this is MuchPokemon here with my first RMT :D. I only started competitive battling a few months ago but I instantly fell in love with the NU tier. I finally came up with a solid team that is original and fun to use. This is a balanced team based around offensive Furret because it is a complete boss and needs more love. Mmkay with that over with, here is my team don't hate on me if this is the wrong format or whatever.

Mah Team
alomomola.jpeg
upload_2014-1-3_21-51-50.png Shiny Dragonair.gif Ivysaur.png upload_2014-1-3_21-54-6.png Raichu.png

upload_2014-1-3_21-51-50.png

Too Pwrful (Furret)
Furret @ Choice Band
Ability: Frisk
Ev Spread: 252 Atk/252 Spe/ 4HP
Jolly Nature
-Trick
-U-turn
-Sucker Punch
-Double-Edge/Return

Furret is the pokemon I wanted to build this team around as I feel that it is more usable than people think. I use it as a lead if I see a predicted ground type lead such as golurk, seismitoad etc. Then I usually U-turn out as my team doesn't really mind rocks. Jolly nature to get as much speed as possible while carrying a band which allows it to hit hard with Double-Edge. You can run Return to avoid recoil, however I HIGHLY recommend Double-Edge for the power boost. Sucker punch is for priority that is better than quick attack as it allows me to hit Golurk extremely hard. Trick is to mess with walls such as Alomomola.

upload_2014-1-3_21-54-6.png

Mandibitch (Mandibuzz)
Mandibuzz @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
Ev Spread: 252 SAtk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Modest Nature
-Nasty Plot
-Heat Wave
-Dark Pulse
-Roost

You are probably saying "Wut Offensive Mandibuzz this guy's just a troll" but no fine Mr.'s and Ms' I have found some success with this set. After a Nasty plot Mandibuzz becomes a decent special attacker and when you combine that with the speed boost from Weak Armor your opponent has themselves a problem. Heat wave is just for coverage as it hits steel types and such. Roost is for recovery if you get a turn

alomomola.jpeg

Palindrome (Alomomola)
Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EV Spread: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Atk
Impish Nature
-Wish
-Protect
-Waterfall
-Toxic

Now for something a little more standard. Standard Defensive Alomomola is an absolute monster when it comes to taking physical hits. I prefer to put all of my Ev's into physical defense rather than what Smogon says because Alomomola's special defense is garbage anyways. Great Wish Passer, Wall and an adorably awesome picture.

Raichu.png

Power Station (Raichu)
Raichu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightningrod
EV Spread: 252 SAtk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Modest Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Grass Knot
-Hidden Power Ice

I love my Scarfed Raichu, it is one of my favourite pokes along with Furret. If there is no ground type suspected leads I run it as my lead and immediately Volt Switch. Being one of the faster scarfers in the tier with base 110 speed which allows me to run a Modest nature. I used to run Focus blast but I became extremely frustrated with accuracy issues. (colour me surprised...) Grass Knot is to hit pesky ground types like Seismitoad and Golurk. HP Ice is so I don't get walled completely by grass types.

Ivysaur.png

#002 (Ivysaur)
Ivysaur @ Eviolite
Ability: Chlorophyl
EV Spread: 252 HP/ 252 SDef/ 4SAtk
Calm Nature
-Giga Drain
-Sleep Powder
-Leech Seed
-HP Fire/Sludge Bomb

Ivysaur is my special wall and works really well with Alomomola forming the formidable Alomosaur Core. I used to run a Roselia in this spot however, I didn't really enjoy using it as much as this cute little poke. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are good STABs however I prefer to run HP Fire due to the presence of steel types. Sleep Powder and Leech seed are used to cause shenanigans to my opponents team. I am open to switching this to a Roselia if the right set is suggested.

Shiny Dragonair.gif

Girly Girl (Dragonair)
Dragonair @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
Ability: Shed Skin
EV Spread: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Adamant Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Rest
-Outrage
-Extremespeed/Waterfall

Dragonair is a huge part of my team and a great physical sweeper. Eviolite offers workable bulk while setting up DD's. The ShedRest combo is a great one as it leaves me a pseudo full-recovery move. Outrage is a great STAB and after setting up it breaks down walls like crazy. I prefer to run E-Speed over Waterfall because I enjoy having the extra priority for my team however waterfall lets you not be walled against steel types.

If you read this thanks and please reply if there is anything major that you see that is wrong. I hope to contribute to the Smogon community as I continue to learn about competitive battling. This is MuchPokemon signing out. :D

Attachments

This team has decent ideas, but I feel just is a bit gimmicky. A lot of the sets which you are utilizing are completely outclassed by other pokemon. Jynx completely decimates your team, by having a typing advantage over your defensive core, while being strong enough and quick enough to completly wreck your offensive pokemon. Your team is also incapable of touching Probopass and Klang (HP Fire Ivysaur won't do much), allowing the former to wall your team to death, and the second to setup and proceed to sweep your team, especially if it is the wild charge variant.

That being said, I understand that Furret was the pokemon you based your team around, but it doesn't benefit you at all. It's weak even with a choice band, and lacks the necessary coverage to beat the above threats. Instead, I suggest you run Standard Golurk, who even without the choice band has a higher attack stat than your furret. On top of that, it has stealth rocks to support your two main sweepers, and it has far better coverage to beat out Probopass and Klang, who your team previously had no way of killing. Shadow Punch will also eliminate jynx on the switch if you are playing a more ballsy player.

Another option over furret is Magnet Pull Probopass, who again beats all of the aforementioned threats, and helps to set up stealth rocks for your team, which is key for both Dragonair and Mandibuzz to sweep. It absolutely walls jynx, and it can trap opposing probopass and klang, eliminating threats. It also carries a slow volt switch, to bring momentum to your side, as well as to safely bring in your frail sweepers such as Raichu and Dragonair.

There is almost no reason to use Nasty Plot Mandibuzz over Nasty Plot Liepard who is quicker, has a higher special attack, and has access to prankster encore, allowing it to support your team as a better sweeper. Mandibuzz's bulk is also ruined in a Nasty Plot set, due to lack of recovery, and being incapable of using its amazing bulk, which is why I suggest NP Liepard instead, who fits the role of sweeping much better.

Also you should probably switch your Ivysaur to Roselia, as Spikes aids your team greatly. Spikes Roselia is on site, so I wont post the set below.

Golurk @ Leftovers / Expert Belt
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 180 Spd / 76 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Drain Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Stealth Rock

-OR-

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 100 Spd / 156 HP
Modest Nature
- Power Gem
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch

Liepard @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Encore / Taunt
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / U-Turn

Last edited:
Thanks Brawlfest for your input. I am going to make the switch to Roselia due to the factor that it can lay spikes. I am also in full favor of switching out Mandibuzz as I feel there are better alternatives.

I like the NP Liepard set however I really do have a problem with steel types. Due to the fact that I really want to keep furret on my team I am going to test the Magnet Pull Probopass over NP Mandibuzz. Thanks again for your advice and I'll get back after testing.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I won't do a full rate, but I just want to point out something about Alomomola's EV spread. I highly recommend you use the standard EV spread of 104 HP / 252 Def / 152 SDef, because the Special Defense investment goes a long way in allowing you to switch into certain special attackers, such as Samurott, Charizard, Seismitoad, etc. which allows you to serve as a much more reliable pivot. Alomomola is not supposed to *wall* these Pokémon; however, the increase in overall special bulk allows it to switch in, scout out their move, and respond accordingly. Besides, thanks to Mola's fatass HP stat the loss of physical bulk is much less significant that it might seem.

I might do a full rate later, but this is what I've got for now.

Unless you like having the overlapping coverage of the pseudo bolt-beam coverage, you could try running Signal Beam over HP ice. That would do several things for it:
  • Covers grass types
  • lets you OHKO scarf Jynx
  • lets you run 0 attack IVs
  • provides some additional coverage for dark and psychic types
Of course, the ice move has it's strengths too, mainly being a consistently safe type for for a choiced user to attack with. I don't know which one would fit your play style better, but it's something to give a try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)