GEN 4: Underground Pokemon League

Hi Smogoners,

I have been a lurker for awhile, but I haven't visited Smogon since the end of the DPPt era, so I'm a little inexperience with all this new Gen 5 stuff. Thankfully, my college is hosting and Underground Pokemon League that is using Gen 4 and below, so I don't have to learn too much new stuff.

There are several special rules in the UPL that I have to follow. The most important rules are that I'm initially restricted to 4 pokemon and must earn my last 2 spots through defeating gym leaders. I initially choose 6 pokemon, but can only use 4 so I'm having trouble covering types at the beginning. Secondly, there is a specific "legendary" list that I'm really having trouble working around. I have included it in the rules below with the common OU pokemon in red. Thirdly, the gym leader list is as follows:

Donald, Dark
Greg, Fighting
Michael, Flying
Xena, Psychic
Blair, Electric
Tyler, Fire
Nick, Ground
Anton, Water
Kira, Steel

I only have to defeat 8 different leaders over the course of 5 weeks, and I can choose 3 per week (including reattempts). Notice there are 9 leaders. Here are the other rules in depth:

LEAGUE PLAY:
1. Round One

The first round of competition will pit individual players against each of eight gym leaders. This round will last for five weeks. Each week, a player is allowed to challenge three gym leaders. Addiditionally, each player is allowed to challenge any gym leader to which they have previously lost. However, each gym leader can only be battled once a week by each player. If said player loses, he/she must wait until the next week to challenge the gym leader again.

Upon defeating a gym leader, the gym leader will present the player with a badge. Each gym leader possesses a unique badge, for a total of eight different badges. These badges are the key to qualifying for the second round of play. Additionally, for every two badges in a player’s possession, the player will receive an additional Pokѐmon slot. (see section II)

Players will receive regular e-mail updates containing information on when and where each gym leader will be available each week to battle.

2. Round Two

The second round of competition will pit players against the Elite Four. In order to enter the second round, players must present all eight unique badges from round one. Play will take place during a set time period one weekend, still to be determined. During this period of time, qualifying players will test their strength in a series of structured battles.

The first player to defeat the Elite Four will become the Champion. Any player who defeats the Champion will take the place of the Champion and face others who make it through the Elite Four.

Players who succeed in defeating the Elite Four will receive a congratulatory prize. Players who succeed in defeating both the Elite Four and Champion will receive a separate prize commemorating their achievement. Whoever is Champion at the end of round two will win the grand prize.

GUIDELINES
1. Player Party Composition

Before the start of round one, each player will be allowed to choose a team of six Pokѐmon to use in league play. Each party must:
-Consist of six Pokѐmon, no more, no less (see section III)
-Contain Generation I-IV Pokѐmon
-Contain no more than one Legendary Pokѐmon (see section III)
-Contain no two Pokѐmon with the same number in the NationalDex

Each player will be allowed to choose ten held-items. Each Pokѐmon, however, may only hold one item at a time. Also, a player may only possess one of each item. NO REPEATS. Items may be changed anytime outside of battle, but are set in stone once a battle starts. A player’s ten items can’t be changed once chosen.

Once a player has earned two gym badges, he/she will have to option to choose an additional Pokѐmon. Said player will still only use six Pokѐmon in battle, with the extra Pokѐmon being “stored” in a PC Box. Players may change their six party Pokѐmon anytime outside of battle, but the party is set in stone once a battle begins. One more additional Pokѐmon will be granted for every two badges earned.

When the player selects his/her Pokѐmon, he/she will also choose each Pokѐmon’s move set. Each Pokѐmon may change one move per week, along with one move at the beginning of round two.

Similarly, when a player selects his/her Pokѐmon, he/she will choose each Pokѐmon’s ability. The abilities are chosen from the list available to each individual Pokѐmon (listed on ShoddyBattle). A Pokѐmon’s ability can’t be changed after it is set.

Finally, and most importantly, each player must verify that he/she possesses each Pokѐmon he/she chooses in an actual Pokѐmon game. (see section IV) Move-sets will also be matched against each Pokѐmon, based on the level to which a player has raised it. Players need to prepare for league play by training their individual parties in a Pokѐmon game. (It would be wise to also train several back-ups that can be used to fill any extra slots earned.)

2. Gym Leader Party Composition

Gym leaders follow all of the rules that players follow when choosing a party. However, each gym leader must also declare a set type. All of said gym leader’s Pokѐmon must be of this type, with one exception: each gym leader may choose one Pokѐmon similar to his/her type, but not of his/her type.

At the beginning of round one, gym leader names and respective badges will be announced.

3. Elite Four Party Composition

The Elite Four follow the same rules that players follow. It is important to note, however, that nothing will be known about Elite Four members until they are challenged.

4. Battles

All battles are 1 v 1. Battles will be fought using ShoddyBattle, following Generation IV rules. Every battle will begin with both players having fully healed parties of six Pokѐmon. [Even during the Elite Four] Additionally, the level cap for all Pokѐmon is 100. Players may have Pokѐmon under level 100 if they wish.

For all battles, the sleep clause will be turned on in ShoddyBattle. This means that no more than one of a player’s Pokѐmon can be asleep at any one time.

Since ShoddyBattle uses generation IV battle mechanics, generation I-III players may want to familiarize themselves with the differences between previous generations and generation IV.

GAMEPLAY RESTRICTIONS
1. Legendary Pokѐmon

As stated above, each player may choose only one Legendary Pokѐmon. The following Pokѐmon are classified as Legendary:

-Zapdos (Gen. I)
-Articuno (Gen. I)
-Moltres (Gen. I)
-Mew (Gen. I)
-Mewtwo (Gen. I)
-Entei (Gen. II)
-Suicune (Gen. II)
-Raikou (Gen. II)
-Lugia (Gen. II)
-Ho-Oh (Gen. II)
-Celebi (Gen. II)
-Regice (Gen. III)
-Registeel (Gen. III)
-Regirock (Gen. III)
-Latias (Gen. III)
-Latios (Gen. III)
-Groudon (Gen. III)
-Kyogre (Gen. III)
-Rayquaza (Gen. III)
-Jirachi (Gen. III)
-Deoxys (Gen. III)
-Azelf (Gen. IV)
-Mesprit (Gen. IV)
-Uxie (Gen. IV)

-Dialga (Gen. IV)
-Palkia (Gen. IV)
-Giratina (Gen. IV)
-Cresselia (Gen. IV)
-Manaphy (Gen. IV)
-Phione (Gen. IV)
-Heatran (Gen. IV)
-Regigigas (Gen. IV)
-Shaymin (Gen. IV)

2. Banned Pokѐmon

The following Pokѐmon are banned and may not be used by any players:
-Wynaut
-Wobbuffet
-Darkrai (Gen. IV)
-Arceus (Gen. IV)

3. Remaining Pokѐmon

All Generation I-IV Pokѐmon not listed as above Legendary or Banned can be used by players. (Exception is CAP pokemon)

4. Restricted Moves

The following moves may not be used by any Pokѐmon:
-Fissure
-Horn Drill
-Guillotine
-Sheer Cold

OK WE ARE DONE. All that being said and done, here is my team that really worked for me in Gen 4:
HTML:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66414
To start this team is ineligible because I have 2 life orbs and 2 leftovers. Outside of that I don't know if this is viable because it really depends on the 6-poke synergy.

My questions to you forum-goers is as follows:

• Given the 4-poke initial restriction, is my team viable? Or would you reconstruct a team of 4 that can stand on it's own and then add 2 pokes later?
  • What order would you challenge the gym leaders and which gym leader would you avoid facing?
  • Given my team, are there any "standard" items you would grab within the 10-item rule?
Thanks for the feedback!

I'd throw this in stark, honestly. But besides that, I just wanted to mention something:

If you can use legendaries, don't fuck around with stuff like zapdos and latias. Use either Kyogre or Mewtwo. I'd suggest using Kyogre to fuel a rain team, as Pokemon like Kingdra, Ludicolo, and the like can be especially deadly fueled by infinite rain. Some ideas: Kingdra, Ludicolo, Toxicroak, Scizor, etc.

Also, if you really don't like rain, do something like Garchomp | Wobbufett | Mewtwo | (annoying Pokemon, smeargle/breloom)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)