Gen V Initial RU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I was wondering how eviolite bulky DD scraggy would perform, any good ev spread for bulky DD?

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay. Now I've always been a fan of SubRotom in any tier it was available, and have also used it in RarelyUsed of course, but Heysup brought up something interesting to me in a match last night on the RU ladder. That is that SubChargeBeam Rotom pretty much on its own annhilates most forms of stall in RarelyUsed. This is further backed by the fact that unlike Ubers, Overused, and even Underused; there has always been a Blissey/Chansey available etc. that could sponge hits etc. that lacks a presence in Rarelyused. (of course you could look to Happiny....but yeah)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay. Now I've always been a fan of SubRotom in any tier it was available, and have also used it in RarelyUsed of course, but Heysup brought up something interesting to me in a match last night on the RU ladder. That is that SubChargeBeam Rotom pretty much on its own annhilates most forms of stall in RarelyUsed. This is further backed by the fact that unlike Ubers, Overused, and even Underused; there has always been a Blissey/Chansey available etc. that could sponge hits etc. that lacks a presence in Rarelyused. (of course you could look to Happiny....but yeah)
Mandibuzz is weak to electric but it could take a charge beam and phaze it out, and cress is pretty bulky.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mandibuzz is weak to electric but it could take a charge beam and phaze it out, and cress is pretty bulky.
That's true. Although with Stealth Rock easily a regular presence, it won't be able to come into SR and then eat a Thunderbolt reliably at all. Similar story with Cresselia, especially if a prior boost got grabbed on the switch to Cresselia, then it gets slammed by a boosted Shadow Ball while Cresselia is far from threatening Rotom 1 vs 1

I do suppose there are a few certain mons like Munchlax that can phase it out, but that's not really gonna solve the problem unless you can Toxic it or something, especially as Rotom as immune to all Spikes.

That's true. Although with Stealth Rock easily a regular presence, it won't be able to come into SR and then eat a Thunderbolt reliably at all. Similar story with Cresselia, especially if a prior boost got grabbed on the switch to Cresselia, then it gets slammed by a boosted Shadow Ball while Cresselia is far from threatening Rotom 1 vs 1
That is true although it will have a lot of trouble with munchlax (although it will be hesitant to switch in do the possibility of trick)

Zephyr

Life Stream
That is true although it will have a lot of trouble with munchlax (although it will be hesitant to switch in do the possibility of trick)
Lol I was editting that in right while you were posting about that. (see my above post for thoughts on it)

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I haven't run calcs or anything, but I'd assume that Munchlax is capable of phazing +1 Rotom or Rotom-A. Of course then stall's open to a ton of threats like Yanmega and Moltres that Munchlax has to be in good health to counter.

However, a much cooler option is SpDef Cryo, who can hit Rotom hard with Ice Beam, Haze away its boosts and any SpDef drops, and is really good in general outside of countering Rotom.

Zephyr

Life Stream
I haven't run calcs or anything, but I'd assume that Munchlax is capable of phazing +1 Rotom or Rotom-A. Of course then stall's open to a ton of threats like Yanmega and Moltres that Munchlax has to be in good health to counter.
We've been over this for like the past 4 posts Izzy .-.

Although yeah, Cryonogal won't be a bad answer, but with Stealth Rock out, It'll need to consistently be in good health too be able to lose 25% health to SR and then proceed to eat a hit from Rotom on the switch, get hit again as its outsped before it can Phaze it, and then get hit a 3rd time before it can use Recover.

I'd like to reply to the person above me, but what is a commonly used set for SubRotom?
I'd imagine a +1 HP Fire might still sting. Especially considering he's a spinner and thus, usually enters the field with SR.

Edit:Damn them ninjas...

Has no one ran mean looking Umbreon with BP+curse to priority abuser? I've been wanting to but haven't had the time to really...

Aw no more classic Umbreon set. :/

Yeah I was just skimming over RU's list and saw Umbreon and thought that'd be pretty good. Has anyone ran Carracosta for a check for Yanmega? Or does specs timid Yanmega OHKO him too?

Aw no more classic Umbreon set. :/

Yeah I was just skimming over RU's list and saw Umbreon and thought that'd be pretty good. Has anyone ran Carracosta for a check for Yanmega? Or does specs timid Yanmega OHKO him too?
1. Modest SpecLens Bug Buzz does 81.82-96.59% to a max HP/ 4 Sp. Def Sassy Carracosta, without hazards
2. Many SB Yanmega's carry Giga Drain. Carracosta's dead on the spot, and all he did was heal the enemy Yanmega up.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yanmega and Moltres are so powerful, it's crazy! pair it up with something like Hitmonlee to keep rocks and Munchlax away and you can't go wrong

Togetic is very annoying :<

Zephyr

Life Stream
Yanmega and Moltres are so powerful, it's crazy! pair it up with something like Hitmonlee to keep rocks and Munchlax away and you can't go wrong

Togetic is very annoying :<
Toxic Spikes actually works really well with that too, burns down pokemon quickly especially when using SubRoost Moltres and friends.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Stall has a problem with sub charge rotom? Then look no further than clefable, RU's premier stallbreaker, breaker. (Seismic Toss / Toxic / Softboil / Shadow Ball is the set of choice obviously, you need it for Rotom)

Stall has a problem with sub charge rotom? Then look no further than clefable, RU's premier stallbreaker, breaker. (Seismic Toss / Toxic / Softboil / Shadow Ball is the set of choice obviously, you need it for Rotom)
However that is a suboptimal set since Protect + Wish make a much better combo. You are sacrificing your effectiveness vs: Hitmonlee and Medicham while also giving up the ability to pass Wish, Stall with Toxic, and essentially win every prediction.

SubCharge Rotom can be beaten by Cryogonal, Steelix, and certain other bulky mons but it is really adept at dismantling teams entirely.

I've been having a lot of success with Sceptile as well. It's bulky, fast, has great coverage, and literally destroys something if Blastoise comes in.

Another useful Pokemon I found was Torkoal. Stealth Rock? Yes. Rapid Spin? Yes. Ability to destroy common Spinners (besides Blastoise, but that's why i use rotom...)? Yes. Ability to deal damage? Yes, 95 BP Flamethrower off of 85 base attack still hurts (or use Lava Plume for burn). And best of all, ability to beat Moltres and Yanmega? Yes (Stone Edge OHKOes, it survives an attack from either).

Zephyr

Life Stream
I agree with Heysup. The common Cleffable moveset is usually Protect / Toxic / Wish / Seimic Toss. Although if I'm ever building a stall team anytime soon I may try Shadow Ball to help remedy the situation, as the current one I was using (the one above) couldn't touch Rotom :'(

Shadow Ball is actually quite an interesting move on Clefable; but it suffers from the same problem as having Seed Bomb/Bullet Seed on Ferroseed though: it's just there to not be set up on by a few select Pokemon but outside of that it is as good as a useless moveslot. Wish support, Stealth Rock, Heal Bell... there are many other things that Clefable could be doing with that moveslot...

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
God i hated using wish + protect on Clefable heh. That set was more of a gen IV thing, back when Mismagius and Rotom dominated, its pure theorymon in gen V. Though scouting out those fighting types is a good idea.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
i've been playtesting bulky dd scraggy to moderate success, it either aweeps like a boss or fails epically.

heres the set:

Scraggy W/ eviolite
Adamant
Evs: 252hp 36atck 220spe
Dragon dance
hi jump kick
crunch
drain punch

likes baton passed subs and dual screens

i've been playtesting bulky dd scraggy to moderate success, it either aweeps like a boss or fails epically.

heres the set:

Scraggy W/ eviolite
Adamant
Evs: 252hp 36atck 220spe
Dragon dance
hi jump kick
crunch
drain punch

likes baton passed subs and dual screens
That looks nice.
But I have 0 experience with using Eviolite Offensive mons.
The only Eviolite poke I have used is Ferroseed. So yeah.
Also, what about that SubCharge Beam set for Rotom(-A)?
Seriously looks like an awesome way to troll Stall.

I've found CB Druddigon (not TR) to be pretty good in this tier. He basically takes on a similar role as Haxorus in OU.

Druddigon @ Choice Band
4 hp/252 atk/252 spe
Adamant
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Fang
Dragon Claw

Max speed in my experience has worked out better than max hp, as it lets you outspeed common defensive pokemon (up to Blastoise) and get the jump on other slow pokemon who similarly think why bother investing in speed? Outrage/EQ combo covers most everything and FF OHKOs Ferroseed. Dragon Claw is a very useful option when you're not ready to go all out. Druddigon is also decently bulky which allows it to take at least a few hits. Similar to Bouffalant, but with better typing.

Not set on the moveset since Crunch/Sucker Punch/whatever could be good, but this has worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)