Walrus Genesis7's Walrus

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
What is a 'Walrus'? This is a game where you submit songs according to each category and then I judge each song, assigning a score out of 10. I’ll announce beforehand the time I'll reveal each category. The winner is whoever has the most points at the end.

-Rating on a 1-10 scale, 5 being completely average and forgettable. Anything under 5 is a song I actually disliked, nothing will ever be a 10, a 9 is something that I was absolutely floored by and I am extremely thankful that you introduced or re-introduced me to.

-Submit on time please! I’ll announce the reveal date for the first category once I feel I have enough submissions, each proceeding reveal will be 5 days after the last. Late submissions take a 1 point penalty.

-I’ll be grading more subjectively, no rubric or anything like that. So if I like your song and it is a track that I haven’t heard before, I may be happier while listening to it than something I listen to all the time, which may help your score.

-If you do not stick with the category that will negatively affect your score, if you really hit the nail on the head with your song and it encompasses the category perfectly the may positively affect your score.

-Be open and take some risks in linking your tracks, don’t necessarily play it just to win, have some fun and introduce me to some new music you genuinely love! I’m a big fan of numerous genres so I’m sure I won’t be too perturbed by any submission.

1. Introduce yourself!

Submit 3 tracks that you feel sum up your musical taste or what you’re into right now. I’ll aggregate the scores I give for one final score for this category. Try to have some variance within genres here as if the first song misses the mark for me and the rest are cut from the same cloth, your score isn’t going to be too nice.

2. Woooow man

Submit a song you can really vibe to, the one you secretly belt out or jam out to in the shower. Upbeat and funky is the name of the game.

3. Melancholy

The exact opposite of the above, the song that is a great soundtrack for when you’re having a rough day or just want to mellow out a bit. Not something you’d play at a party but the track you love listening to with your headphones on.

4. Charting

Something mainstream and popular, doesn’t have to be a pop song but it can be. Does not have to be actually charting at one point either, but something that has a lot of plays and isn’t exactly a hidden gem.

5. I discovered it

An underground artist who you think is next up. Someone you tell all your friends about but secretly hope stays indie and the best kept secret.

6. International

A song done by a group outside of North America, Australia, or the UK, does not necessarily have to be a track in a non-english language, or one that has lyrics at all, but if you can find a song that is really enjoyable even though I can understand none of it, props.

7. Degenerate shit

That song that gets you really heated, maybe you listen to it on a run or at the gym, or it’s just a banger that’s a personal fav of you and your friends.

8. It tells a story

A song that is very strong lyrically, one that really speaks to you or one that you feel is very powerful. The days of the singer-songwriter is slowly fading away, so let’s celebrate some of the greats.

9. FUCK IT! WE’LL DO IT LIVE!

Has to be a live performance. Concert, radio station, awards show, doesn’t matter.

Please submit to me by messaging me on discord Genesis7#2863

Signups (bolded names are those who have submitted their songs):
Jrdn
Sharp Ladder UU
Asek
Da Letter El

Aladyyn
Bedschibaer
Isa
Lectrys
Villa
Robert Alfons
Wishes
MyNameisNothing
old_gregg

Last edited:

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Revealing now:
12. Sharp Ladder UU:

1a). Eminem ft. Béyonce – Walk on Water
Song seemed like it was going to pick up when the hook added on to itself but it just abruptly shifted back to another verse. Funny that Eminem raps about feeling like he should give up or that he’s washed, because he should and he is.
4.8/10

1b). Sam Smith – Writing’s on the Wall
This gave me SERIOUS Skyfall vibes, this guy should lawyer up. But I enjoyed this track and liked his voice, very strong for a ballad like this.
7.6/10

1c). XXXTENTACION – SAD!
Catchy hook, which is good because it’s almost all the song is. Dude really threatens to kill himself if his girlfriend leaves, on that 13 yo girl shit. Pretty vapid.
5.6/10

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
11. Wishes:

1a). Poppy – Lowlife
This was pretty catchy and enjoyable, repetitive af but I guess that’s what makes it so palatable.

7.5/10

1b). Charli XCX – Vroom Vroom
Man this fails as a pop song and as a club song. Real bad.

4.8/10

1c). Marina and the Diamonds – Primadonna
This song has that classic pop grabber line in the chorus but the verses are so forgettable and vapid.

5.9/10

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
10. Lectrys:

1a). Robert Schumann - Bunte Blätter, Op. 99, No. 13 – Scherzo
A bit barebones I guess, just kept looping like I’m stuck on a merry-go-round or something.

5.8/10

1b). Mario Kart: Double Dash!! – Circuit Theme
Oh man haven’t played this one in so long. Mario music is always catchy and fun.

7.2/10

1c). Máté Pribelszky - Maxwell's Demon
https://musescore.com/matepribelszky/scores/957266
Well I enjoyed this more than the first track, but like I don’t know what to say I just feel like I can’t get into this sort of stuff.

6.2/10

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
9. Bedschibaer:

1a). Comus – Song to Comus
Man you really made me listen to this whole thing.

5.3/10

1b). Kamasi Washington – Change of the Guard
Great experience, definitely some Coltrane influence but a really well put together piece that flows really well.

8.1/10

1c). Swans – Jim
Boring and forgettable, idk what to say. I guess the singer has a nice voice.

6/10

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
8. Robert Alfons:

1a). The Jesus Lizard – Puss
Hmmm… this one is tough, I’m digging the riff and the percussion a lot but it’s like the song never develops much because of how incoherent and lackluster the vocals are. It is trying to be catchy with the riff but fighting with itself and counteracting it with some noisy vocals.

6.8/10

1b). David Thomas Broughton – Ambiguity
This voice is a nice change of pace from the typical effeminate “Midwest-emo” vocals that you always hear on melancholic tracks. When he started to muffle his vocals near the end is when this started to lose me, but otherwise a nice emotional track that is pretty well done.

7.6/10

1c). DJ Screw – Tell Me Something Good
Never really got this just slowed down chopped n’ screwed craze, I feel like the instrumentals work as a beat for an actual track, but when it is the track I just can’t get into it.

5.3/10

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
7. MyNameisNothing:

1a). M83 – OK Pal
Doo dooo doo

7.7/10

1b). Jeff Rosenstock – I Did Something Weird Last Night
Corny but not terrible.

7.2/10

1c). Alex G – Sarah
Tries way too hard to be imperfect and “nostalgic”, ruins it.

5.8/10

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
6. Villa:

1a). Snow Patrol – Chasing Cars
I thought this was Coldplay for years, also forgot how boring it is.

6.9/10

1b). Dean Lewis – Waves
This one is such a tease, the track keeps on leading him into belting out a chorus but he just sticks with that “indie” pop voice the whole song. Underwhelming is the word I guess.

6.2/10

1c). Fleetwood Mac – Go Your Own Way
See now this is how you write a catchy memorable track, Dean Lewis should take some notes.

7.8/10

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
5. Da Letter El and Isa

1a). Slowdive-Alison
Very 90’s, I could imagine the bridge of this being played in a teen romcom from that era. Definitely not a bad one though, I like how the band picks up on the bridge but the singer keeps the same tempo for the whole song, it works. Pretty decent relaxing track that I could probably listen to a lot without getting tired of.

7.4/10

1b). Pixies – Debaser
Has a really early-2000’s vibe with some 90’s punk vocals. The vocals get a bit grating after a while, luckily I feel like this song is the perfect length for itself. Just not one I was overly impressed with.

6.8/10

1c). Kendrick Lamar – The Recipe
Nice rhythm and a catchy hook, verses have a really similar flow to the hook which made them seem less polished and they were a bit lackluster overall. Pretty enjoyable and catchy track though.

7.2/10

1a). Sweet Trip – Fruitcake and Cookies
Felt like this one went downhill after the 3 minute mark. Still pretty unique and a cool listen, just a bit grating at times.

7.4/10

1b). This Heat – S.P.Q.R.
Kept waiting for this one to pick up but it never did, great instrumental but the vocals just dragged it down.

6.3/10

1c). Yo La Tengo – I Heard You Looking
Pretty good track, not much to add, strong but not amazing.

7.7/10

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
3. Asek and old_gregg

1a). The Pharcyde – Soul Flower
Really dug the second and last verses, the last line had me dying too lmao. One of those songs that wasn’t of the same quality the whole way around, but still a decent beat and a good listen.

7.7/10

1b). Flying Saucer Attack – My Dreaming Hill
The distortion was just too overdone in this one, I felt like I was really gonna like this before the vocals came in but then it just became meh.

6.4/10

1c). Stereolab – Cybele’s Reverie
Man I was gearing up for a nice instrumental break or something at the end but never got it. This song really came into its own once the tempo picked up about halfway through, prior to that it was a bit droning. Pretty good composition that almost oversteps into that avant-garde sort of genre. Enjoyed it but I felt like it was missing something.

7.7/10

1a). Megadeth – In My Darkest Hour
This song really comes into its own at the 4 minute mark, before that it’s like some corny song by Ratt or something.

7.6/10

1b). Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole – Somewhere Over the Rainbow
A classic for sure.

7.8/10

1c). The Doors – People Are Strange
I’ve always thought The Doors were supeeer overrated, and ya I still think so, boring.

6.4/10

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
1. Jrdn:

1a). Bon Iver – Holocene
Pretty calming tune and an easy listen, vocals were a bit uh… bad though.

7.5/10

1b). Nas – Memory Lane
Always been a big fan of Illmatic, but this is one of the more underwhelming tracks on the record for me.

7.8/10

1c). The Eagles – Hotel California
A classic.

7.8/10

This category didn't quite turn out the way I planned, I feel the people who played it more safe were rewarded. Rest assured if I scored you really high on some and low on others I applaud you for introducing me to some new stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)