Other Getting CAP back on track!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Posted with the approval of Tennisace, [DK: also Deck Knight]

Lets face it, CAP hasn't been doing well lately. Every since PO screwed up CAP and a lot of key members left, CAP has been pretty much dead. I hate to see CAP die, so the purpose of this thread is to get these problems solved so we can get to CAP 2!

The first thing to address here is the lack of being able to use CAPs anywhere. Thankfully, I have solved this! I have implemented CAPs on the Streetmons server, download this new db here to get playing with the CAPs! This doesn't have the streetmons stuff implemented, because I don't want people using stuff like V-create Ursaring on the CAP ladders. I haven't implemented the custom abilities or moves yet. I'm currently unsure how to do so, but if anyone thinks of a way, I'll try it! Besides that, almost everything from gen 4-5 has been implemented. I just need individual back sprites for Scrachet. Hell I can even have usage stats for the CAP battles!

Now the first big thing we need to do is make it very apparent to the smogon community that CAP isn't dead. I think the best way of doing this is to start doing minor CAP work that involves the community, so then we can have enough people to get CAP 2 on the road.

One thing I think we should do is write 5th gen analyses for the old caps, and get use to playing with them in gen 5. I understand that the old CAPs weren't made for gen 5, but that's what I think makes them so interesting! Looking at this gen by itself, you can see that several mons that haven't changed much have reacted to the metagame in different ways. For example, Tyranitar is even more common this generation thanks to Excadrill. On the other hand, Deoxys-D dropped from Ubers to UU this generation due to the dramatic changes! I think we should figure out how the old CAPs fare this generation, and note that in new gen 5 analyses. Its okay if our CAPs don't stand the test of time, because noting how they preform in gen 5 is in itself very interesting! Also, the allure of a new metagame involving all the CAPs (known on the server as CAP all stars) could attract people back to CAP. We could even make a "gen 5 cap metagame" thread to encourage people to explore, thus giving the CAP subforum the activity that it needs.

Another project I'd like to see is an article for each CAP describing its history. Sorta like the CAP final product threads, only on site and in much more detail. For example, the CAP history article for Syclant can discuss how being the first cap made the process, what was considered for it, how it effected the metagame, and how the movepool changes were made for it later. Documenting past CAP projects like this can also be a nice way of avoiding past mistakes, seeing what worked, ect.

Another little project we could do is adding new moves to gen 4 CAPs. Don't get me wrong, this isn't to make them cope with generation 5. Rather, these should be strictly TM flavor additions instead. It's sorta weird how stuff like Pyroak doesn't have Incinerate! Now of course, some flavor moves could be good, such as say, Wild Charge Krillowat. We could always ban very good moves and just stick to the flavor stuff. It just seems weird that we updated the sprites but not the movepools for gen 5. We could always do this via the CAP process as well.

Finally, I think a possible way to make CAP more active is to expand its scope. Currently, CAP only focuses on OU, but what about other metagames? For example, making an Uber CAP could help us learn more about centralization, and hell we already have CAP prevos (granted they aren't made competitive for LC as far as I know). Maybe we could even make CAPs for RU and UU, but since those tiers are less stable due to being effected by the usage of other tiers, Im not sure how they would be handled.

These are just a few of my ideas, but I want some CAP veterans to talk about their own ideas so we can finally revive CAP!

Stratos

Banned deucer.
A) HALLELUJAH IT'S RAINING CAP

B) I would love an all-CAP meta, we've had that in the past I know and I remember it being really chill, though I was heartbroken when Stratagem lost Charge Beam D:

C) I'm more than willing to help as much as possible, though I sadly am too new to CAP to do anything of real value

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I for one am incredibly happy that, 1) CAPs can once more by used somewhere, and 2) that the idea of starting up CAP stuff is back. I personally would love to help out as much as I can with anything related with getting CAP back up.

That being said, as much as I would love for all the suggested stuff to happen, I believe the only real way to "get CAP back on track" is to start gen V CAP 2. CAP 1 and the creation of Tomohawk was what got me to really become an active member of Smogon in the first place, and I think that having a full project is the only way to fully revive interest in the project.

However, I understand that the way Smogon works does not allow us to just dive right in on that, and if doing other things in the meantime can help bring more traffic to this forum, then I am all for it.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
One thing that I just thought of after you pm'd me the thread is reworking some of the process. I think it's gotten really large and bulky in some places, and I'd like to sit down and get it a bit more streamlined. People come to CAP to participate in threads, and I feel like if we cut down on some threads, we can get greater participation in the threads. Basically, I always found fewer, longer threads to be more effective than more short threads, since they don't allow a lot of good discussion. Some examples are combining primary/secondary typing into one typing thread/poll (since typing is a combination after all), and moving the counter discussion to event #5 (after stat/movepool limits). I will explain more in-depth in a separate thread once I read through the current process again (it's been a looooong time).

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You know, while we are at it we could give the caps DW abilities. it would be very interesting, to have DW caps such as moxie collosoil, or snow cloak syclant.

the one thing I don't like about CAP is how long each and every decision takes. Seriously, it takes about over a month for each CAP to be made, and then another month or two of playtesting. I'd so much prefer an all CAP metagame with much more frequent CAPmons being made, and quicker decisions without these raging debates occuring. If we make more CAPs more often, people might not spend days trying to decide on whether or not to include one move or one minor detail.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You know, while we are at it we could give the caps DW abilities. it would be very interesting, to have DW caps such as moxie collosoil, or snow cloak syclant.
IMO DW abilities that are added should be strictly flavor abilities. Any good abilities will actually alter the way the old CAPs work, and as far as I know, we aren't going to be giving the old CAPs stuff to adapt to gen 5.

IMO DW abilities that are added should be strictly flavor abilities. Any good abilities will actually alter the way the old CAPs work, and as far as I know, we aren't going to be giving the old CAPs stuff to adapt to gen 5.
But then, the old CAPs might not work in the same way any more, what with all the changes. I'd argue that viable DW abilities and moves should be allowed if they continue in the tradition of the original concepts. :)

As a newcomer to CaP (and to Smogon in general), I agree with Theorymon in terms of getting something going. Newcomers like me can only read through the old CAP projects so much before they ask, "When the hell is the next one going to start?"

A few smaller projects could go a long way towards getting more community involvement, reducing the number of noob threads in CAP (which I'm sure people found to be incredibly stupid).

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the one thing I don't like about CAP is how long each and every decision takes. Seriously, it takes about over a month for each CAP to be made, and then another month or two of playtesting. I'd so much prefer an all CAP metagame with much more frequent CAPmons being made, and quicker decisions without these raging debates occuring. If we make more CAPs more often, people might not spend days trying to decide on whether or not to include one move or one minor detail.
I agree that the long time it take to make a CAP almost makes the actually playing with them an afterthought. However I would not think that making CAPs faster is a good solution. The true goal of the CAP project is to learn about the Pokemon metagame, and just flying through for the sake of getting done faster kind of defeats the purpose.

However, if we could include more things, such as updates for old CAPs, or the suggested CAPs for other tiers, and always have something going on, it would help keep new things coming in all the time.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Before this gets too out of hand:

There is some level of discussion already going on for 5th Gen CAP metrics, though it's presently located in the ASB.

These would be canonical updates and would supercede anything done there, as stated plainly in the ASB's Data Audit Thread.

However it is of primary importance to remember this is the first and foremost goal of CAP:

Creating Pokemon to test against an existing OU metagame.

Side Projects are helpful to boost up forum activity, but ultimately they fall under "Old Business" rather than "New Business," no matter how novel the idea is.

Process Length:

The only weaknesses we've had with process length are when polls aren't closed in a timely manner. Discussions are monitored by the TLs and closed when they are no longer contributing new ideas or don't contain good discussion. All Moderators, the Topic Leader, and the ATL monitor those threads, so while there is an occasional drag, the system works by and large.

Otherwise 24-48 hours is a perfectly normal timeframe. Remember that wherever you are, you are not the only time zone that Smogon represents. Due to the international nature of our userbase, 24 hours is the minimum possible timeframe and 48 hours is the most reasonably expedient timeframe.

6-7 weeks for creation is pretty much the end result of this process, with 9-10 weeks overall running through the playtest period. The results we've had with this process time have been high-quality, and to be fair given the complexity that goes into the process as well as the largely democratic nature of the decisions, it's proven to be a good mix for results and community participation.

There's precedent set by CAP ASB, maybe some of that stuff could be worked off of.

Have people really played 5th gen CAP to be knowledgeable enough to write analyses?

But yeah, I really want to see CAP back on track. The old days with the server regulars (well, my old days are not as old as some of your old days) were good times.

Currently, CAP only focuses on OU, but what about other metagames? For example, making an Uber CAP could help us learn more about centralization, and hell we already have CAP prevos (granted they aren't made competitive for LC as far as I know). Maybe we could even make CAPs for RU and UU, but since those tiers are less stable due to being effected by the usage of other tiers, Im not sure how they would be handled.
I see two ways of doing this.

• Keep the system as it is at the moment, but make it clear during the concept & mission stage that any of the tiers are fair game. If the community wants a UU idea, they can vote for it.

• Have more than one CaP project running simultaneously, with a limited list of registered participants. This would allow projects to take a more experimental approach (as there would be more of them, with more scope for individuals to influence the project's direction). It should also mean fewer of the 'out-of-control' threads that can result when forty people all try to comment in a forum (and some post ten times each).

• If we did this, we would need to be careful not to shut anyone out. It's all very well making sure that each group has an experienced member or two, but our goal would be that everyone who asks to join a project is able to do so; to make their voice heard; and (whatever we think of their opinions!) to get good-quality feedback on their ideas.
In fact the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of 'nimbler' projects with just ~a dozen voices. Even if we just ran one of them alongside the main project. I really think we could see more thoughtful discussion and more diverse projects if a different group of people took the reins each time.

Such a small project would also be useful for training up new TLs (and deputies). And it might be handy to run a project with a smaller scope while CaP is finding its feet again...

I would totally support making the prevos tailored towards the 5th gen LC metagame.

...or 4th gen, because that one was better.

It would be cool to see how the concepts fit a much smaller/centralized metagame.

But just saying Monohm would maul both LC metagames into swiss cheese, and probably Syclar too.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
DW Abilities that are added should just be made "unavailable." They have them, but you can't use them on the regular ladder, like Shadow Tag Chandelure atm. If you want to have an unrated match with a friend while using, I dunno, Anger Point Colossoil, knock yourself out.

Also, I am willing to help however I can, although school may interfere at times.

I don't even care what changes are made to the process as long as the project gets up and running again. I have some great concepts, and my spriting skills have improved.

I also think that smallvizier has some great ideas for the direction this could take. We could make seperate CAP projects for each of the 5th-gen tiers all running at the same time!

before you consider anything i say, im a noob to cap. so dont blame me if i say something thats wrong.

1. i think you should update the 'how to participate in CAP' thread, and explai in greater detail as it is confusing. this would mean that newcomers and people who dont understand the instructions now, will more than likely understand them after the update.

2. stream line the threads please!im sick of seeing someones battles in cap here! make a new thread that is designed for this purpose like battleCAPacity. this CAP projects easier to find, participate in, and really, it would be more convenient.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I agree completely with making primary and secondary typing one poll. For example, a primary typing of normal is FUCKING COCK SHITTY ASS but when you make it normal/ghost suddenly oooooh

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If we all agree we want to start it back up why dont we discuss the concept we want to focus on for this CAP. Personally I'm partial to something that would deviate the speed tiers from their current centralisation, whether that be through multiple priorities, prankster or an auto trick room ability.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Well that's for another thread at another time, but I think we're all itching to start it back up right now.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd rather not choose both typings at the same time. each typing servers a distinct purpose to the cap and i think trying to do both typing will take away something.

I'm here, Deck is queer, and I want more bear mons

cap lc let's go!

but on a more serious note, i think we should get rid of the pokedex poll /: it kinda slows the process by a lot imo

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
thats what i was getting at, we could either give flavor abilities or move illegalities if we dont want to alter how the Caps function. OR we could treat all the abilities as unreleased, and only use them on a special server.

edit: yay 400th post!

cap lc let's go!

but on a more serious note, i think we should get rid of the pokedex poll /: it kinda slows the process by a lot imo
Meh, we could always just have it be a random flavor thing we do during playtesting.

I'd rather not choose both typings at the same time. each typing servers a distinct purpose to the cap and i think trying to do both typing will take away something.

I'm here, Deck is queer, and I want more bear mons
What would it take away exactly? What if there's a type that fits the concept well, but comes from two types that would otherwise be subpar for the concept if not presented in tandem?

Why not to update the CAPs?
Give them DW abilities and gen 5 moves, while keeping their purpose and staying in the power boundaries of the metagame
this would gie some nice disscusion about how the CAPs work in Gen 5, a little befoe and after, like how Kitsunoh works scouting in a battle were you can see your opponents entire team, maybe trough new abilities, new moves, or his concept now is useless, and if that's the case, what would be it's new use, a supporter, a spin bloquer, a revenger? every CAP has it's own niche and hw are those niches gonna adapt to Gen 5 it's an interesting idea to see how a pokemon can evolve though metagames, and how a great pokemon one generation is just not good enough to OU the next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)