Gligar

Bloo

Banned deucer.

Gligar

This thread was made by iss and I. With the advent of Pre-Evolution Stone, Gligar's potential as a defensive tank increased exponentially. According to Wichu's post, Pre-Evolution Stone boosts NFE's Defense and Special Defense by 1.5, making Gligar one hell of a Pokémon to take down. This thread is for the discussion of Gligar competitively. Have fun!

Code:
[B]
#207[/B]: Gligar

[B]Typing: [/B]Ground / Flying

[B]Ability: Hyper Cutter:[/B] Opponent cannot lower this Pokémon’s Attack value. This Pokémon may still lower its own Attack value using a move of by itself.
[B]
Sand Veil:[/B] Raises the Pokémon’s evasion during a sandstorm by one level. 

[B]Dream World Ability:  [/B]Immunity: The Pokémon cannot be under the POISON condition while having this ability. 

[B]Base Stats:[/B]
HP: 65
Attack: 75
Defense: 105
Special Attack: 35
Special Defense: 65
Speed: 85

[B]Level-Up Moves:[/B]

Lv1: Poison Sting
Lv5: Sand-Attack 
Lv9: Harden
Lv12: Knock  Off 
Lv16: Quick Attack 
Lv20: Fury Cutter
Lv23: Faint Attack 
Lv27: [M512] 
Lv31: Screech
Lv34: Slash 
Lv38: Swords Dance
Lv42: U-turn
Lv45: X-Scissor
Lv49: Guillotine

[B]Learnable TMs:[/B]

TM01 - Claw Sharpen 
TM06 - Toxic
TM09 - Venom Shock
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - Taunt
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM28 - Dig
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM36 - Sludge Bomb
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM48 - Troll
TM54 - False Swipe
TM56 - Fling
TM62 - Acrobat
TM66 - Payback
TM69 - Rock Polish
TM71 - Stone Edge
TM75 - Swords Dance
TM76 - Bug Resistance
TM78 - Smooth Over
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM81 - X-Scissor
TM84 - Poison Jab
TM87 - Swagger
TM89 - U-Turn
TM90 - Substitute
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM01 - Cut
HM04 - Strength

[B]Egg Moves: [/B]

Metal Claw
Wing Attack
Razor Wind
Counter
Sand Tomb
Agility
Baton Pass
Double-Edge
Feint
Night Slash
Cross Poison
Power Trick
Rock Climb
Poison Tail
Now, let's examine Gligar further:

• With Pre-Evolution Stone, Gligar reaches a spectacular 508 Defense, and a decent 250 Special Defense, enabling it to take a wide array of attacks. With access to a reliably recovery move in Roost, Gligar will be a tough bugger to kill. Pair it up with sandstorm + Sand Veil, and you have yourself one annoying 'mon.

• Unfortunately, unlike Gliscor, Gligar is slower than Lucario, leaving it susceptible to Hidden Power Ice before it has a chance to strike it with a STAB Earthquake. Gligar's older brother also has access to Poison Heal, which is a significant selling point it has over Gligar, seeing as it allows it to recover a substantial amount of HP.

• Again, Gliscor has better Attack, Speed, and Defense (although Pre-Evolution Stone makes Gligar's Defense higher than Gliscor's), which will likely make it shine in higher tiers. If Gliscor ends up stealing Gligar's limelight, I can definitely see Gligar being put to good use in the lower tiers, such as UU, in order to combat Pokémon the Fighting- and Bug-types that lurk about.
Nonetheless, even though Gligar faces some tough competition from Gliscor, it still has the potential to shine. Let's take a look at how much damage Gligar takes from some of DPP's top offensive threats, with a max / max set:

Gligar @ Pre-Evolution Stone
Nature: Impish / Careful
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 6 SpD
-Earthquake
-Roost
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic / Taunt

If anyone of you wish to make some calculations with a Gligar running a faster spread, feel free to do so. Courtesy of Setsuna for providing the below damage calculations.

Code:
Lead Machamp's Ice Punch vs max / max Gligar: ([B]50.30% - 59.88%[/B])

350 Atk Luke's CC + LO vs max / max Gligar:([B]17.37% - 20.66%[/B])

350 Atk Luke's Ice Punch + LO vs max / max Gligar: ([B]58.68% - 69.46%[/B])

CS Flygon's Outrage (325 Atk) vs max / max Gligar: ([B]25.15% - 29.64%[/B])

394 Atk Breloom's Focus Punch vs max / max Gligar: ([B]18.86% - 22.16%[/B])

Dragonite's +1 Outrage (max Atk, 403) vs max / max Gligar: ([B]45.81% - 54.19%[/B])
As you can see, Gligar's boosted Defense allow it to take on various Pokémon (particularly Fighting-types) like a champ. It's also worth noting that Gligar can handle Tyranitar particularly effectively, seeing as it takes 30.54% - 36.23% from a CB Tyranitar's Crunch. That's pretty impressive coming from a 'mon that never sees use in OU.

Baton Pass Abuser.

Gligar @ Pre Evolution Stone
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
-Rock Polish
-Swords Dance
-Taunt / Earthquake
-Baton Pass

Gliscor is already an effective Baton Pass in the current gen IV standard metagame, but with the Evolution Stone, Gligar could potentially usurp that position. With the Pre-evolution stone, it's defensive stats skyrocket, allowing Gligar to set up a BP significantly easier. Specific EV's have not been determined, but for now Max HP and max SpD are used. The SpD EV's alleviate Gligar's poor special defense and allow it to survive unstabbed Ice Beams. Play it up as follows (preferably behind Dual Screens) Rock Polish on something you can force out and Swords Dance / Taunt depending on your foe. (very few pokemon will force you out) Taunt can stop status / roar users but Earthquake provides you with reliable STAB and does decent damage after a boost. Baton Pass when set up (hopefully to a capable recipient like Metagross)

Now, let's take a look at what Gligar can do in LC!

With Pre-Evolution Stone, Gligar becomes almost untouchable in Little Cup. With just 236 HP EVs and a Impish nature, Gligar reaches defenses of 26 / 24 / 19. Those defenses are comparable to DeepSeaScale Clamperl. What's more, Gligar has access to an instant recovery move in Roost. Combine this with its stellar 19 Speed and decent 14 Attack, along with access to moves like Stealth Rock, Taunt, and the aforementioned Roost, and you have one of the hardest Pokémon in Little Cup to take down.

Gligar @ Pre-Evolution Stone
Nature: Impish
EVs: 236 HP / 236 Spe
-Earthquake
-Roost
-Stealth Rock / Taunt
-Aqua Tail

Earthquake is an obligatory STAB move. Roost gives Gligar an edge over other walls in Little Cup. Gligar is a great user of Stealth Rock, and will often get chances to set it up with this set. Taunt protects you from status and boosting moves. Aqua Tail is quite helpful in hitting threat in Little Cup, as you will see below.

Gligar takes little damage from many common attacks in Little Cup with this set. A few calculations are listed below:

Code:
[B]Gastly [Shadow Ball][/B]

Life Orb (max Special Attack + Modest/Timid [same output]): [B]46.2% - 57.7%[/B]

Choice Scarf (max Special Attack + Modest/Timid [same output]): [B]34.6% - 46.2%[/B]

Aqua Tail v. 116 HP Modest/Timid Gastly: [B]52.4% - 61.9%
[/B]
This means that if a Gastly is locked into Shadow Ball (via Choice Scarf), Gligar can switch in, survive two hits easily, and 2HKO back with Aqua Tail. If the Gastly is Life Orbed, Gligar outspeeds and 2HKOes with Aqua Tail. Either way, Gastly is no longer guaranteed to beat Gligar one on one.

Code:
[B]Opposing Gligar (Aqua Tail) (using on-site analysis)[/B]

Choice Scarf/non-LO Rock Polish (max Attack + Adamant): [B]38.5% - 46.2%[/B]

Life Orb Rock Polish (max Attack + Adamant) : [B]38.5% - 53.8%[/B]

Swords Dance (max Attack + Jolly): [B]38.5% - 46.2%[/B]

+2 Swords Dance (max Attack + Jolly): [B]69.2% - 84.6%[/B]

Aqua Tail v. 0/0 Gligar: [B]43.5% - 60.9%[/B]
Gligar counters itself even better now. This Gligar can beat every single Gligar set that does not run maximum HP (with the exception of Choice Scarf, but that's only if your Gligar switches in on Aqua Tail, which is very easily set up on). You can even beat Swords Dance Gligar if you switch in on Aqua Tail and win the speed tie. This is a good example of Pre-Evolution Stone making a decent check into a counter.

Code:
[B]Water-types using Surf[/B]

16 Special Attack (ScarfChou, Scarfyu): [B]69.2% - 92.3%[/B]

16 Special Attack + Life Orb (Agilichou, LO Staryu): [B]92.3% - 115.4%[/B]
Gligar's never been a great counter to Water-types, but Pre-Evolution Stone gives it at least a chance in a last-ditch situation. It can take a Surf from Scarf Chinchou or Scarf Staryu, and OHKO Chinchou back while doing reasonable damage back to Staryu (but you'll need extra damage beforehand to KO). With Life Orb, Gligar's hopes are destroyed, but Gligar really shouldn't be fighting Water-types in the first place. However, Gligar does outspeed un-boosted Chinchou and ties with Staryu.

Well, that's all. Let me know if there are any errors with the calculations. Feel free to post your thoughts on Gligar, and whatever else you guys feel warrants a mention.

Gliscor and Blissey were the two of the top five "walls" of the sort last generation in OU. Chansey and Gligar did well in UU.

I'm thinking they'd stay in the same place, no?
Here's a Gliscor set that I revamped for Scor Jr.

Stallbreaker @ Pre Evolution Stone
Nature - Jolly
212 HP/80 Def/212 Spe
Taunt
Toxic
Earthquake/U-Turn
Roost

Gliscor's best set. The nightmare of 83% of OU, so why can't Gligar utilize it? Taunt is for here for obvious reasons, while Toxic and Roost allow it to do a little stalling of it's own. EQ is here for decent STAB, although U-Turn works too.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I want to see a Baton Pass set there. He could theoritically abuse it and have more bulk than even the mighty Mew! Gligar is monstrous in this gen.

Edit:
Baton Pass Abuser.
Gligar @ Pre Evolution Stone
Jolly
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
-Rock Polish
-Swords Dance
-Taunt / Earthquake
-Baton Pass

Gliscor is already an effective Baton Pass in the current gen IV standard metagame, but with the Evolution Stone, Gligar could potentially usurp that position. With the Pre-evolution stone, it's defensive stats skyrocket, allowing Gligar to set up a BP significantly easier. Specific EV's have not been determined, but for now Max HP and max SpD are used. The SpD EV's alleviate Gligar's poor special defense and allow it to survive unstabbed Ice Beams. Play it up as follows (preferably behind Dual Screens) Rock Polish on something you can force out and Swords Dance / Taunt depending on your foe. (very few pokemon will force you out) Taunt can stop status / roar users but Earthquake provides you with reliable STAB and does decent damage after a boost. Baton Pass when set up (hopefully to a capable recipient like Metagross)

Gligar could probably run a good SD+RP+BP set with its amazing physical defense and reasonable special defense. Gliscor was always hampered by its lackluster defenses even behind screens.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Yes - breed a Baton Pass Scyther in the 3rd Gen and use the move tutor to teach it Counter.

I think Knock Off deserves a mention if u don't need Stealth Rock. Taking items off ur oponent is great, especially something like P2's evo stone.

Gliscor and Blissey were the two of the top five "walls" of the sort last generation in OU. Chansey and Gligar did well in UU.

I'm thinking they'd stay in the same place, no?
Here's a Gliscor set that I revamped for Scor Jr.

Stallbreaker @ Pre Evolution Stone
Nature - Jolly
212 HP/80 Def/212 Spe
Taunt
Toxic
Earthquake/U-Turn
Roost

Gliscor's best set. The nightmare of 83% of OU, so why can't Gligar utilize it? Taunt is for here for obvious reasons, while Toxic and Roost allow it to do a little stalling of it's own. EQ is here for decent STAB, although U-Turn works too.
Shouldn't you max hp? 65 hp vs 105 defense (and Pre-Evolution Stone) means hp would make you tankier (on both sides, too).

...right?

So old thread is old, but I got me some questions about Gligar. :D

I've noticed a lot of posts suggesting Swords Dance, but what do you think about a Gligar with Power Trick instead?

Combined with Eviolite (if it stacks, anyway), that beastly Defence stat can be traded in for a beastly Attack stat and then back again on the fly.
With the right set-up, say, a Baton Passed Agility boost (or even Gligar's own Rock Polish) or a Trick Room (against the right opponent), Gligar could, IMO, become a fairly reliable sweeper when you need one, and a decent staller when you don't.

Let's say, something like this:

Purple Facehugger @ Eviolite
Ability- Sand Veil
Nature - No idea, probably something that ups Defence or HP
EV's - High Defence, with the remaining points into HP and Speed

Earthquake
Sandstorm/Toxic
Power Trick
Roost/Rock Polish

Up against a Special Attacker? Earthquake that mofo into next week with your 450-ish Attack! Anyone else? Hide in a Sandstorm, Roost when needed, and whittle down their HP with your not-so-great Earthquake and Sandstorm damage.

I think it's got potential. Anyone with me?

Power Trick swaps the boosts, not the actual stats. Too bad. :(

Either way, I can attest that it's extremely trolly on a pure BP team. Based on the hypothesis that anything with an attacking move will rape with +6 in all stats, I built a recent Baton Pass team with Eviolite Gligar providing the attack and backup speed boosts. It never failed to get off the Swords Dance and carry on the chain, and when I didn't have any defence boosts along the line Gligar was my best go-to. It partners great with Mew by the way.

breh

強いだね
incorrect, power trick switches stats.

power swap switches stat changes... think of heart SWAP, not heart TRICK

set looks interesting. optimally, something like this:

Adamant Gligar @ Eviolite
Sand Veil (no immunity ;_;)
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Earthquake
Ice Fang / Rock Slide
Roost / Swords Dance
Power Trick

Gliscor would seem to be better though, as gliscor doesn't need a turn to switch its defense and attack.

incorrect, power trick switches stats.

power swap switches stat changes... think of heart SWAP, not heart TRICK

set looks interesting. optimally, something like this:

Adamant Gligar @ Eviolite
Sand Veil (no immunity ;_;)
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Earthquake
Ice Fang / Rock Slide
Roost / Swords Dance
Power Trick

Gliscor would seem to be better though, as gliscor doesn't need a turn to switch its defense and attack.
Immunity would be the better ability unless he was part of an oh-so-common weather team. Sand Veil gives it a cool dodge factor when paired with tyranitar/other sand-streamer.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Compatible*

Once I really get into competitive battling, I'll have to check out Gligar. I do think its best bet is a set with Roost though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)