Golem

Golem:
Rock/Ground

80/110/130/55/65/45

Rock Head- Recoil moves deal no recoil damage.
* Sturdy- OHKO moves will fail. This now includes attacks that would KO at full health. This ability now acts like a Focus Sash
(Dream World) Sand Veil- Evasion increases by 20% in Sandstorm

LV Up Moves:
Lv1: Tackle,
Lv1: Defense Curl
Lv1: Mud Sport
Lv1: Rock Polish
Lv4: Mud Spor
Lv8: Rock Polish
Lv11: Rock Throw
Lv15: Magnitude
Lv18: Hard Roller
Lv22: Rock Blast
Lv27: Knock Down
Lv31: SelfDestruct
Lv36: Level Ground
Lv42: Stealth Rock
Lv47: Earthquake
Lv53: Explosion
Lv58: Double-Edge
Lv64: Stone Edge
Lv69: Heavy Bomber

TM:
TM05 - Roar
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM23 - Knock Down
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM28 - Dig
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM35 - Flamethower
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM38 - Fire Blast
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Sing Around
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM56 - Fling
TM59 - Incinerate
TM64 - Explosion
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM69 - Rock Polish
TM71 - Stone Edge
TM74 - Gyro Ball
TM78 - Level Ground
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM04 - Strength

Egg:
Mega Punch
Block
Hammer Arm
Flail
Curse
Focus Punch
Rock Climb
Endure
Body Purge

New Attacks:
Hard Roller: 65 BP, Bug Type, Chance to Flinch

Knock Down: 50 BP, Rock Type, Knocks the opponent to the ground

Level Ground: 60 BP, Ground Type, Lowers opponent's speed

Heavy Bomber: Steel Type, BP varies on how much heavier you are in regards to the opponent

Body Purge: Raises Speed and makes pokemon lighter

Sing Around: 60 BP, Normal Type, Special, Attacks the opponent with song. Power increases when used by others or consecutively

Incinerate: 30 BP, Fire Type, Special, Burns away opponent's held berries

Thoughts:
The original beast from 1st Gen did not receive much movepool wise. Attacks like Heavy Bomber and Hard Roller could serve for some gimmicky purposes (and a possible slightly less gimmicky role for Knock Down), but really did not help Goelm's movepool. In fact, Golem's movepool may have taken a hit with Explosion's BP effectively being cut in half. He did get one humongous upgrade that may change Golem use greatly. Lets take a look at some pros + cons

Pros:
- Base 110 Attack
-Solid Physical Defense
- Access to Rock Polish
-STAB Edge/Quake
-Access to Explosion
- Priority in the form of Sucker Punch (4th Gen)
-ACCESS TO SR
-Sturdy!

Cons:
-Putrid Speed
-Plethora of Weaknesses
-Relatively Shallow Movepool
-Lack of Versatility
-Explosion not halving opponent's defense =(
-Generally being outclassed =( =(

The main reason I'm making this Golem thread is due to the revamping of it's old ability, Sturdy. It takes an anti-lead I used often in DPPT to a new level. With Sturdy's new prowess, I feel Golem can become one of the most effective leads in the metagame. Of course his traditional sets still also pack some punch.

Movesets:

The Best Around
Golem @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk/244 Spe/12 HP
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SPAtk)
-Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
-Earthquake/Sucker Punch
-EQ/SP/Explosion

Ladies and Gents, the reason why Golem is no longer totally outclassed! A lead set that worked well in the last gen probably just got better. This thing no longer has to hold sash as it's ability serves as an auto sash. This leaves room for whatever item you choose. Personally, I'm fond of Lum totally shutting down status leads. This thing effectively can deal with most type of leads, whillist setting up SR very reliably. Facing a fast taunt? Smack them with one of your powerful stabs, and finish them off with priority. Playing something Bulky? Set up your rocks, then proceed to beat down. Albeit the power drop in Explosion, a 250 BP move off of base 110 attack is nothing to scoff at. Golem may not have tons of moves, but it has enough solid choices to pull this set off wonderfully. I think it can work equally aswell as the ever popular Occa Berry Meta last gen. Edit: apparently some new rock type can also do this, lol. So while not totally outclassed, it's pretty close

Banded Beast
Golem @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head/Sturdy/Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Double Edge/Sucker Punch
-Explosion

Bust some heads, then come back and end with a bang. Don't take this rock lightly. For some extra fun, try to abuse some new found Sand Veil hax by putting this on a SS team.

A Very Polished Rock
Golem @ Life Orb
Ability: Sturdy/Sand Veil
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Rock Polish
-Explosion

Send that Golem through some conditioning and start outrunning things. EdgeQuake will smack some things around, then go out with a bang. Certainly could be prevalent, but outclassed.

Come on Down!
Golem @ Life Orb
Ability: Sturdy/Sand Veil
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Knock Down
-Explosion/Rock Polish

I just though of this rather gimmicky set, not even sure if the mechanics on this are correct. Basically, this set is very similar to the Rock Polish set. In fact, if running Rock Polish, Knock Down is just another option on the RP set. The basic premise is this. Presumably to me, the move knock down acts sort of like Gravity, therefore removing flying type immunities and Levitators. Theoretically, you could catch two of the more common Physical Walls, Bronzong and Skarmory, on the switch. After removing their ground immunity, blast away with that fine stab EQ. This could also force some switches, racking up entry hazard damage and possibly giving a chance to boost up with Rock Polish, or smack something expecting an EQ with a nice Stone Edge. No idea if this would even work, but it sounded fun.

Overall, Golem still seems like the same mediocre rock. A closer look reveals potential to be something more, a very reliable lead. I hope this bad boy can find a niche role this generation. If not, it should be able to tear up lower tiers. Thoughts/Opinons/Comments?

I don't see getting much usage in this generation. Since Gigiaasu has Expolsion, now with 25 higher base attack, Golem is pretty much outclassed by that and Rhyperior, and the Steel Mole. The only thing that Golem has that the other rock and grounds don't have is sucker punch. I am glad it gut sturdy, so it looks like it could be become a decent lead., but it really doesn't stand out since explosion is only half of its former glory.

I do like golem, but the part about not being outclassed I think was and still is a bit of a typo due to the numerous other rock types with stealth rocks which can effectively lay stones with sturdy and to the same thing, the new rock type does the same thing with the power of mence and being pure rock means no nasty 4x weaknesses to grass or water so maybe it even has a chance of not being damaged to 1hp with aqua jet. Overall I think golem is cool, but the competition has blown it away and unless something major and exclusive happens to it I dont see it making OU for a while! But I think it would make a good lower teir rocks user.

Doesn't Golem have 110 base Attack, not 130?

Anyway, I like how the anti-lead set used in Gen IV gets to take advantage of the improved Sturdy. But it'll still be taken down by priority (for instance, if the anti-lead Golem is used against lead Metagross, Metagross will smack Golem with Meteor Mash for huge damage, then follow up with Bullet Punch, but then again, Golem might get Stealth Rock or an Earthquake in before it goes down).

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
sturdy + life orb on life orb set is kind of...well suicidal.

I suppose its ok for a powerful last ditch explosion, but after explosions nerf its not going to do much to physical walls or resisted opposition. If you want to use sturdy, try something like liechi berry so if sturdy activates, then you get an attack boost.

Just a thought :P

Oh Golem, still trying in all your x4 weakness glory.

In a storm-
Sand Veil
252hp/252atk/4spd --Adamant
@Bright Power
Substitute
Focus Punch
Stone Edge
Earthquake/Sucker Punch/Level Ground

Sandstorm helps his pitiful SpD. 1/3 chance to miss, hopefully you get lucky and can set up.

Sucks it doesn't have Head Smash. Head Smash + Rock Head would be very good. At least it got a new ability which gives it a free Rock Polish, or it could abuse Sturdy...but I'm not sure how. It got a bit better since the last generation.

Yeah Gigaiasu outclasses this 100% seriously. But Custap Berry should be an option on the lead set since you get to boom first after Sturdy activates. Body Purge also sounds more useful than Rock Polish; it might survive a Grass Knot or Low Kick you never know..

My favorite pokemon, still denied Head Smash (so cruel), but I do like its use as a lead in this generation. Level Up Stealth Rock is also nice.

Gamefreak sure hates Golem. Outclassed by both Rhyperior and the new Rock poke I don't see any use for him which is a damn shame since he's one of my faves.

Yah ikr i remember the good old Fire red days when me and ma Golem kicked every1's ass =L.They really need to give him something reasonable.

Golem didn't really have much a niche last gen anyway, but now it has no niche at all! Gigaisu has Explosion and is of better quality, and Explosion isn't really a good move anymore anyway!

Poor Golem. You're my favorite Pokemon; you don't deserve to be treated like this.

Golem does have a niche and something Gigaiasu can't boast.

Golem @ Custap Berry
Adamant
Sturdy
252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

This is meant to be used in the lead slot. Unlike Gigaiasu, Golem can outspeed Lead Metagross and 2HKO it with STAB Earthquake. It also has Sucker Punch so you can beat other leads such as a Azelf and still get your SR up (SR first turn, Stone Edge it, Sucker Punch it). This is of course with a basis on the 4th Gen lead metagame, but I've been using this Golem on Wi-Fi and it's incredibly reliable at setting up SR and getting -at least- a kill every match.

Golem does have a niche and something Gigaiasu can't boast.

Golem @ Custap Berry
Adamant
Sturdy
252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

This is meant to be used in the lead slot. Unlike Gigaiasu, Golem can outspeed Lead Metagross and 2HKO it with STAB Earthquake. It also has Sucker Punch so you can beat other leads such as a Azelf and still get your SR up (SR first turn, Stone Edge it, Sucker Punch it). This is of course with a basis on the 4th Gen lead metagame, but I've been using this Golem on Wi-Fi and it's incredibly reliable at setting up SR and getting -at least- a kill every match.
Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch. I don't see Golem beating Metagross one on one.

Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch. I don't see Golem beating Metagross one on one.
At least it's not setting up Stealth Rock, I guess? And there's a smaaaall chance you can KO it with Earthquake + Sucker Punch.
It only beats you with Meteor Mash though, and I believe some like to run Earthquake in that slot.

Your point remains though. ): But let's see how the 5th gen leads metagame develops.

This doesn't change the fact that he has Rock Head, and -still- no Head Smash. Not even Aerodactyl gets Head Smash with his Rock Head. :/

with that tiny little head, i couldn't even imagine it head smashing. aggron? yeah. rampardos? yeah. doesn't explain why aerodactyl doesn't have it but... oh well.

Eh i dont use him much myself but when i do i run this set

@Normal Gem
-Explosion
-Toxic
-Roar
-Earthquake

i pretty much just spam Toxic and Roar w/ EQ in there to take down anything w/o too much bulk then suicide bomb a mofo w/ a gem charged explosion after sturdys been activated or if i just need to take somethin out fast even if it doesnt OHKO whatever takes that Explosion is in bad shape

but idk w/ plenty of other pokemon out there i like KamiGoKazeLem isnt my #1 pic for a team slot most days

Poor Golem. I like him, he's a cool dude, but he was always the crappier Rhydon (and then Rhyperior) that learned Explosion...and yet they managed to nerf that attribute and give him even more competition in Gigalith. He's a sad, sad boulder.

As soon as game freak changes him to rock fighting/ rock dragon will golem finally have his niche in SS teams. He doesnt even look ground.

gigalith outclasses golem in pretty much everything and he is way cooler anyway. But if you wanna run golem you can its all about if you wanna rock polish sweep or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)