Golurk Discussion

Played around with DPunch Golurk a bit. Ran No Guard - Jolly - Life Orb - Rock Polish/DynamicPunch/Stone Edge/Earthquake. It doesn't have the raw power of Iron Fist, plus it gives Golurk trouble against opposing ghost types, especially opposing Golurk, since my Golurk didn't carry any Ghost STAB. Shadow Punch isn't worth it on this set since it's pathetically weak without Iron Fist.

BUT you can't argue with the disruption DPunch brings. I had an unchecked Subseed Serperior wreaking havoc on my team (I had 2 checks which were both brought down with crits). Champion No Guard Golurk (my last mon) waltzed in, took a Giga Drain, landed a Dynamic Punch, and then got to set up a Rock Polish while Serperior bashed itself in the face, setting me up for the winning sweep. Luckily I had SR and 3 layers of Spikes up to aid the sweep - Golurk needs the help without Iron Fist. I have this on video and will eventually put it up on my youtube channel, I will link it when I do.

Obviously this is anecdotal evidence but it just goes to show that the disruption from the confusion is very valuable, if unreliable. I guess it's better to look at DPunch Golurk as a sort of utility sweeper in a sense. Maybe a more bulky attacker with some defensive EVs, Leftovers, DynamicPunch, Toxic, and Protect/Sub would work (obvious problem here is taking EQ vs. Stone Edge for the 4th moveslot- massive power or ability to hit Haunter/Missy?). Shame his support movepool is so lacking. And man do I wish he could use Curse.

Is DPunch better than Iron Fist Golurk? No, I don't think so. But he's pretty damn fun to use and fairly viable if you're more concerned with having fun than your win/loss ratio. If you're hardcore competitive, stick with Iron Fist.

Edit: Here's an easy reference build for my set

Golurk @Life Orb
No Guard

Jolly
4 HP
252 Atk
252 Spe

Rock Polish
DynamicPunch
Earthquake
Stone Edge/Ice Punch/Shadow Punch

The best check for golurk is hazards IMO, being that it isn't immune to any of them. Armaldo is definitely not the most used spinner (In my experience online), it is Wartortle. This is not an ideal matchup IMO because it can poison or do super effective damage to it. I still prefer misdreavus.

The best check for golurk is hazards IMO, being that it isn't immune to any of them. Armaldo is definitely not the most used spinner (In my experience online), it is Wartortle. This is not an ideal matchup IMO because it can poison or do super effective damage to it. I still prefer misdreavus.
Spikes, yes. Toxic Spikes, definitely. But keep in mind he has a resistance to SR and is often carrying Lefties to recover the tiny damage he takes from it. Sucker Punch users are great checks to non-SubPunch Golurk, especially if it's not always obvious the poke is carrying it. Cacturne also makes a great check since he often carries a Sub of his own and STAB Sucker Punch, plus if the Sucker Punch is too obvious he also carries supereffective STAB Seed Bomb. Since Sucker Punch is the most widely-used priority move in the tier, Rock Polish Golurk can't go for a sweep before removing all Sucker Punch users, as he often doesn't live one--especially considering LO recoil. Unless it's from like, Spinda or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)