Gravity?

All right so i am new to these forums, but have been doing smogon doubles for a while.
anyways here's a brief recap of what gravity does
  • negates ground type immunity through flying-typing and levitate
  • makes those pokemon susceptible to grounded entry hazards like spikes (but come on, this is doubles)
  • cancels certain moves, notably bounce and fly
  • decreases evasion by two stages (everything with 60% accuracy and better hits)
the move has decent distribution, with Sableye as your only prankster option. (most trick room setters can use it but you might not have that much room on your moveset)

i think this is an underrated threat, and i have done a bit of testing on it myself, but lets hear what you think.

Sableye+Telepathy mon+Choice Band Landorus-T

I've used this combo to stomp the low ladder (pre 1800) so that I can test new teams on new alts without dealing with the awful gimmicks associated with the lower scores.

yeah that works, i've run it next to a darkrai which gets 100% hypnosis and awesome speed. also blizzard users get 100%

yeah that works, i've run it next to a darkrai which gets 100% hypnosis and awesome speed. also blizzard users get 100%
I find it better used with Trick Room Musharna and CB Lando-T to spam EQ. If you're against something fast like a Kingdra Rain team, you can set sun with Sableye or Trick Room up and spam Helping Hand boosted EQs while Telepathy blocks Mushy from the after effects. It can even use After You in TR to give LandoT a "fast" 35 base speed for the turn.

I can see this doing well for Prankster Sableye and some hard hitter (Exca? Lando-T?) with CB Land's Wrath (90 BP Ground Physical) So you don't have to run trick room at the same time. With this set, not only do you have free burns on everything, but STAB non-EQ ground moves.

I can see this doing well for Prankster Sableye and some hard hitter (Exca? Lando-T?) with CB Land's Wrath (90 BP Ground Physical) So you don't have to run trick room at the same time. With this set, not only do you have free burns on everything, but STAB non-EQ ground moves.
Isn't Land's Wrath a signature move of Zygarde only?

The reason you use Musharna and Trick Room is to super power your CB Lando. Mush gets Trick Room/After You/Helping Hand/Gravity with Telepathy to dodge the Gravity Earthquakes, while boosting their power, or using After You to "outspeed the slow enemies under Trick Room conditions.

hey if trick room is up then glaceon becomes a little bit more viable. it has good defenses, a useless ability, weakness to common priority moves, 65 base speed, and 130 base special attack
give it 252 hp, 252 spa, and 4 spd, quiet nature, 0 speed ivs, life orb maybe?
  • blizzard
  • detect/protect
  • HP electric
  • ice shard/helping hand/wish
also sableye has eject button which is awesome for everything except kangaskhan

Last edited:
I love gravity in Doubles! Moxie Krookodile is a beast and can clear through teams with just a little priority and feint support and intimidators gone. I tried making it more central to my team but I think I was more successful with gravity on only sableye, leaving the combo as an end game.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's easy to find beneficiary of Gravity's effect, but what do you guys use to set up Gravity? There was a mention of Musharna, which makes sense if you're using Trick Room, but what about Gravity for fast mons? Is Sableye the go-to Gravity user in this case? Are there other promising Gravity users? I think I also heard Pwnemon talking about using Gravity Landorus(-T), which can be cool for not using up a teamslot for a more niche mon.

I've used cresselia as a gravity setter. This may seem odd because she looses her ground immunity, but the sheer destruction that garchomp can output (especially with a helping hand boost) under gravity is worth the risk of cresselia dying early. I personally run gravity over reflect.

I prefer Musharna as a Gravity setter mainly because of Telepathy. Spamming HH EQ is great, and even moreso if you're not hurting your teammates.

Here's a pretty interesting core I came up with a little while ago that uses/abuses gravity and Trick room. The members are Mega Ampharos, Ferrothorn, and Chandelure. I chose these 3 because not only do they cover each others weaknesses fairly well, but they also have movepools that allow them to function extremely well under gravity.
mega

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Thunder
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect

100% accurate Thunder and 100% accurate Focus Blast make Mega Ampharos one of the premier gravity abusers available, I know that it was mentioned to concentrate more on Gravity setters than abusers because there are so many, but Mega Ampharos stood out to me as one of the best mons to use under gravity.

Ferrothorn @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Gravity

The Gravity setter of the core is Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn is a bulky enough mon to reliably set up Gravity and covers Ampharos's weakness to fairy. Ferro also gets a 100% accurate Power Whip and Leech Seed from Gravity. The EV spread allows Ferrothorn to OHKO Rotom-W with Powerwhip with Lum Berry to heal off the burn from Will-O-Wisp

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 HP / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Inferno
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

The most common reason that Ferrothorn wouldn't be able to set up Gravity is that it was threatened with a fire move that I didn't want Ampharos to have to take, so I decided to bring in Chandelure. Chandy is a great Trick Room setter but my favourite part of the set is Inferno. Inferno is base 100 power move that burns the opponent 100% of the time, you never see it used because it only has 50% accuracy, however under gravity that changes to a whopping 83.5%!!! It's basically a Will-O-Wisp with 100bp :]

Anways guys I hope you enjoy this core, I know its a lot of set up to count on so if you decide to use this core I would reccomend running only partial Trick Room, and at least one fake out or follow me user like Togekiss or Hitmontop. GLHF :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)