Pokémon Greninja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Debating whether I find this preferable to other more dedicated leads such as good ol' Forretress. I've been dabbling with both and I've found that Forretress' access to Rapid Spin is better from a defensive standpoint, but Forretress is pretty flimsy when I use it, do you think Greninja is an overall better choice? (It definitely has the Dark-type edge if Azelf decides to make a comeback)
You're talking about OU, right? The only viable suicide leads/hazard stacking leads left are Deo-D and Deo-S. Fast Taunt, can guarantee 2 layers of hazards, Magic Coat, T-Wave, Knock Off, Dual Screens... They do a shit ton.

Last edited:
Ok fair enough, I was going off of first impressions of Greninja, I'd never used Deoxys, but now that you bring it up, it does seem like an obvious choice, although the new develop of protean as a hidden ability makes me think you could sneak in a STAB Dark move against Deoxys, but seeing as I'm relatively new to the metagame I could be wrong.

Hi!

So I don't know if it matters or why it happened but my greninja tryied to relearn Water Shuriken at level 75. Can you tell me if this has happened to anyone else.

Thanks!

Hi!

So I don't know if it matters or why it happened but my greninja tryied to relearn Water Shuriken at level 75. Can you tell me if this has happened to anyone else.

Thanks!
Yes, the 3 starters learn their signature move when they evolve at 36 and again at 75. Not sure why, maybe it's in case you missed it the first time.

wise glasses, expert belt, Muscle Band, or life orb are still good and don't lock you n
Greninja's base Special Attack is only 103. Wise Glasses don't give enough of a boost to justify using it. Expert Belt might be okay but Life Orb is generally much more useful.

Don't even bother with Muscle Band though. Protean's key benefit is having powerful coverage because every move is STAB. Physical Greninja suffers from some lackluster coverage with less power overall to begin with, Muscle Band suffers the same issues as Wise Glasses except its on a much worse set.

I was wondering, what do you guys run with Greninja for coverage or support? I'm using a Greninja/Mawile/Garchomp offensive core right now with good results. Mawile can't handle ground, fire, or physical walls, which Greninja eats alive. Garchomp cleans up miscellaneous threats.

I really want to try Mega Scizor and Greninja on a core, could it work?

Oh wow, checked out the speed calcs, and running Modest was dangerously slow. But I guess I should ask now is running Extrasensory over Dark Pulse advisable? I feel like Extra is mainly for hitting Mega Venu and maybe Tentacruel, while D. Pulse has a better flinch chance and hits Aegis and such. I'm a bit conflicted on this now though.

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
Being able to muscle past Mega Venu is fucking insane and Extasensory also lets you check Keldeo and Gengar. Hydro 2HKOs Aegislash anyway and doesn't leave you open to Sacred Sword afterwards.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Being able to muscle past Mega Venu is fucking insane and Extasensory also lets you check Keldeo and Gengar. Hydro 2HKOs Aegislash anyway and doesn't leave you open to Sacred Sword afterwards.
And also has the benefit of not activating its weakness policy, if the aegislash is carrying one

I was wondering, what do you guys run with Greninja for coverage or support? I'm using a Greninja/Mawile/Garchomp offensive core right now with good results. Mawile can't handle ground, fire, or physical walls, which Greninja eats alive. Garchomp cleans up miscellaneous threats.

I really want to try Mega Scizor and Greninja on a core, could it work?
Think about what Greninja struggles with. Greninja hates things like Chansey and Sylveon, so it appreciates things that can muscle past stall and special walls.

Hello everyone. Please forgive me if my question is stupid, but I'm kind of a newbie to competitive battling...
I was thinking of using my Greninja with Ice Beam, Grass Knot, Dark Pulse, and Extrasensory.
...Yes, no water-type moves.
Now, before you shoot me, I was thinking that grass and water have sort of similar coverage... with the exception that grass hits water and water hits fire.
But I reckon fire-types likely wouldn't stay in on a Greninja anyway, right...? And, before anyone says that hydro pump has raw power... I dislike using hydro pump because of its low accuracy and PP. (also the reason I choose to run Flamethrower instead of Fire Blast on my Megazard Y)
But I figured I'd ask here first. Is there something I missed when considering this moveset?

Hello everyone. Please forgive me if my question is stupid, but I'm kind of a newbie to competitive battling...
I was thinking of using my Greninja with Ice Beam, Grass Knot, Dark Pulse, and Extrasensory.
Now, before you shoot me, I was thinking that grass and water have sort of similar coverage... with the exception that grass hits water and water hits fire.
But I reckon fire-types likely wouldn't stay in on a Greninja anyway, right...? And, before anyone says that hydro pump has raw power... I dislike using hydro pump because of its low accuracy and PP. (also the reason I choose to run Flamethrower instead of Fire Blast on my Megazard Y)
But I figured I'd ask here first. Is there something I missed when considering this moveset?
Using Grass Knot over Hydro Pump is definitely fine, but do consider that Hydro Pump is Greninja's most powerful move without drawbacks (besides accuracy of course). You're also letting Heatran wall you and Charizard to an extent. Grass Knot is still fine though and lets you get those water types like Keldeo and Quagsire.

You're losing out on your strongest move if you forego Hydro Pump, so you'll lose some wallbreaking power. On the upside, an interesting target you gain the upper hand on is Mega Gyarados (252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 346-408 (104.2 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO) who otherwise walls Greninja's usual coverage and can set up a DD

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
You're losing out on your strongest move if you forego Hydro Pump, so you'll lose some wallbreaking power. On the upside, an interesting target you gain the upper hand on is Mega Gyarados (252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 346-408 (104.2 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO) who otherwise walls Greninja's usual coverage and can set up a DD
Grass Knot is already on standard Greninja, which also runs Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, and Extrasensory. Dark Pulse doesn't get you any KOs that Hydro Pump doesn't (both 2HKO Aegislash), so it's unnecessary.

I see... thank you everyone for your input. I guess that using grass knot over hydro pump is okay, but the extra coverage from dark pulse isn't worth the loss in power from hydro pump? I suppose I compared it with grass knot earlier because of their similar coverages, but the move that isn't deserving of its spot is dark pulse?
I wonder, if one were to use scald over hydro pump for greninja, would it be a fair trade for the added accuracy and burn chance? Wouldn't dark pulse's extra accuracy and flinch chance make it an attractive candidate over hydro pump though?
Or even scald over hydro pump isn't a good idea because of the loss in power?
Are there different considerations to be made considering a competitive environment and a semi-competitive "for fun" environment between friends, where you may see more unusual pokémon choices other than OU standard?
Sorry for all these questions! I am not very familiar with all the different choices, but wouldn't want to look like a fool running a Greninja without a crucial move, even if I dislike its inaccuracy... so I wanted to establish exactly how crucial hydro pump is over dark pulse's extra coverage.

I see... thank you everyone for your input. I guess that using grass knot over hydro pump is okay, but the extra coverage from dark pulse isn't worth the loss in power from hydro pump? I suppose I compared it with grass knot earlier because of their similar coverages, but the move that isn't deserving of its spot is dark pulse?
I wonder, if one were to use scald over hydro pump for greninja, would it be a fair trade for the added accuracy and burn chance? Wouldn't dark pulse's extra accuracy and flinch chance make it an attractive candidate over hydro pump though?
Or even scald over hydro pump isn't a good idea because of the loss in power?
Are there different considerations to be made considering a competitive environment and a semi-competitive "for fun" environment between friends, where you may see more unusual pokémon choices other than OU standard?
Sorry for all these questions! I am not very familiar with all the different choices, but wouldn't want to look like a fool running a Greninja without a crucial move, even if I dislike its inaccuracy... so I wanted to establish exactly how crucial hydro pump is over dark pulse's extra coverage.
A 20% chance to flinch given the frailty of Greninja is in no way reliable and is too huge a gamble considering that the entire point of using Greninja is picking off opponents before they get a chance to hit you. Scald is ok to use but again this is more for trying to spread status to potential switch ins but the power of Hydro Pump is often more preferred especially since it allows to more reliable muscle past Heatran, and that in itself is important enough bench mark to consider over Dark Pulse. As noted above Hydro Pump accomplishes the same 2 OHKO on Aegis which is one of the more important ghost types to consider, the others have a dual typing that your other coverage moves already hit.

I don't think the use of Greninja to punch holes or clean would particularly change in a serious or casual environment if you are aiming to use him to his best potential.

Some set some passerby used:

Nature:Jolly
-Fling
-Water Suriken/Waterfall
-Night Slash/U-turn/Power up punch
-Acrobatics
Ability:Protein
Poison Barb
Ev spread: 252 Atk | 252 Spe | 4 HP

I liked this set so much that I couldn't help posting it. It's a neat physical Greninja set because really? Special Greninja is way to overrated. :P
I have no idea why we're still discussing this. Physical Greninja is, and most likely always will be, inferior to Special Greninja. Also, the Special set isn't "overrated". It's good. It really is. You can do whatever you want to make the "physical set" work, but the Special set will always be a better option.

Physical greninja
Some set some passerby used:

-Fling
-Water Suriken/Waterfall
-Night Slash/U-turn/Power up punch
-Acrobatics
Poison Barb

I liked this set so much that I couldn't help posting it. It's a neat physical Greninja set because really? Special Greninja is way to overrated. :P
The thing about physical (and mixed for that matter) is that you have moves with both a lower base power and a lower base attack stat to use them from, and also don't gain any significant coverage from them. This one at first glance is at least a small amount better than most physical sets, as power up punch means that you do possibly hit harder than special greninja(only potentially with acrobatics however, as waterfall = 80*1.5=120, the same as unboosted hydropump). However power up punch itself has very low power and you can only use fling once, doubly crippling your coverage and options. Water shuriken is redundant because its power is always less than waterfall and Greninja is already incredibly fast. If you're absolutely adamant about using this set I'd highly recommend changing it to night slash/acrobatics/waterfall/power up punch with a flying gem.

Ultimately the only reason for going with physical greninja is as a lure to decimate special walls and upon the way for another special sweeper, which isn't really worth it since you could just as easily lay down some extra hazard support or employ a mixed thundurus.

A 20% chance to flinch given the frailty of Greninja is in no way reliable and is too huge a gamble considering that the entire point of using Greninja is picking off opponents before they get a chance to hit you. Scald is ok to use but again this is more for trying to spread status to potential switch ins but the power of Hydro Pump is often more preferred especially since it allows to more reliable muscle past Heatran, and that in itself is important enough bench mark to consider over Dark Pulse. As noted above Hydro Pump accomplishes the same 2 OHKO on Aegis which is one of the more important ghost types to consider, the others have a dual typing that your other coverage moves already hit.

I don't think the use of Greninja to punch holes or clean would particularly change in a serious or casual environment if you are aiming to use him to his best potential.
I see..! Thanks for the help.

-Power up punch
-Waterfall
-Acrobatics
-Night slash
Item:Flying Gem

It's a neat physical Greninja set because really, Special Greninja is way to overrated. :P
Flying gem isn't even in the game so how is this set going to work. Physical Greninja at all just isn't really that good and special Greninja is better.

Also physical Greninja is more overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)