Pokémon Gyarados

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It OHKOs the first two with STAB boosted Bite. Do people even use Slowbro? Mega Gyarados imo will be used for the its ability to instantly change its typing and the massive sp def boost. Being able to take roughly a third the damage you previously did from Thunderbolts is pretty huge on something that effectively auto-wins at +2. Being weak to Mach Punch is lame, but don't megavolve if your opponent has a Breloom I guess.
The problem with Bite is that it's too weak to deal with Pokemon that resist Waterffall and Earthquake. For example, +1 Crunch OHKOes both Salamence and Dragonite, and has a chance to OHKO Kyurem-B too, all after SR. It can also OHKO 252 HP / 100 Def Jirachi while Bite can't. Bite just doesn't have the power to make Mega Gyarados very difficult to stop.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
To be fair on Bite, it at least catches the majority of Pokemon that originally could "wall" it such as Celebi and Jellicent without relying on a two-turn move.

It definitely needed Crunch for its mega evolution. Who wants to write a letter to Gamefreak?

Mega Gyarados really wants Crunch, but Bite does have merit. Rather than be a powerful STAB move, it'll just have to serve as a "coverage for your usual counters/checks" sort of move instead. If it doesn't get Crunch, the standard setup for an offensive DD set might be Waterfall and Earthquake, with either Stone Edge or Bite in the last slot. If you want to beat Salamence, Dragonite, and Kyurem-B more easily, you go with Stone Edge. If you want to have a weapon for Celebi, Slowbro, and Jellicent, you run Bite. You'll have to choose your counters, but it's not like Mega Gyarados is the only sweeper with that problem.

The real perk of Mega Gyarados, as Yamborksi mentioned, is the fact that it can change up its typing (and as a result, some of its checks) and send its bulk through the roof. 95/109/130 defenses with Intimidate on the first switch-in is just...wow. Just to put this into perspective, here's Scarf Thundurus-T's Thunderbolt against an offensive Mega Gyarados.

252 SpA Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 270-318 (81.57 - 96.07%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If it can avoid Stealth Rock, it has enough bulk to always survive a STAB Thunderbolt from the most powerful Electric-type in the game with no defensive investment whatsoever. Of course, Mega Gyarados has a few other perks. Destroying Rotom-W and Gastrodon with Earthquake and Waterfall, respectively, is a nice little tool, and it maintains a little over 90% of the power of a Life Orb Gyarados without the recoil. However, the bulk increase and typing change is the most interesting part of this Mega form. It'll probably need Crunch to be great, but even without it, Mega Gyarados might turn out to be a pretty cool sweeper.

I don't see how it's possible that Gyarados can't even learn Crunch. I guess they're expecting us to use Payback with the increased bulk. They probably didn't even fix Payback either. Ugh.

I don't see how it's possible that Gyarados can't even learn Crunch. I guess they're expecting us to use Payback with the increased bulk. They probably didn't even fix Payback either. Ugh.
Well, to be fair, you rarely see Gyarados with its mouth closed... maybe a Bite is all it can manage xD

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but with the bulky set, your opponent would know that you aren't mega evolve the second it heals with left over.

For what its worth, I've got a gyrados at low 80s, and it hasnt learned a new move in ages, so I really doubt it gets crunch.

Mega Gyarados has merit, merely because of the extra bulk it provides with Intimidate and much better special defense. Mold breaker is an okay ability in that it lets you spam Waterfall and Earthquake. The extra bulk is what lets it guarantee Dragon dancing, but sacrificing an item means no passive healing (unless you go for rest), and the dark type is a liability in that it is a major lightning rod for fighting attacks, especially as revenge.

I think what I really like is how good he is going to be at destroying the Battle Mansion in combination with Entertainment Durant. Mold Breaker lets him sweep easily those very annoying sturdy pokemon, as well as water absorbers etc. Earthquake + Waterfall is all you need. I don't there there is a priority move that can OHKO him with the new bulk. Can anyone calculate Iron Fist Mach punch from Conkeldurr and crit? Probably against 252 HP/Attack Mega Gyrados.

Is mega gyara the most viable set? Sure it's attack skyrockets and it gets much bulkier, but (like a lot of people in this thread have stated) in exchange it gains a less optimal typing (bite is best stab, loses ground immunity + fighting resist), loses its leftovers, and loses what makes it a huge lategame threat, moxie.

Is mega gyara the most viable set? Sure it's attack skyrockets and it gets much bulkier, but (like a lot of people in this thread have stated) in exchange it gains a less optimal typing (bite is best stab, loses ground immunity + fighting resist), loses its leftovers, and loses what makes it a huge lategame threat, moxie.
Mega Gyardos is far from its most viable set, but it definitely has its uses (even besides fooling the opponent into thinking it will mega evolve). Mega Gyardos can come in with an Intimidate, and mega evolve to get better bulk for guaranteed dragon dances.

Actually mega gyarados is a huge boost to gyara's taunt+DD set. Water+dark is pretty even with water+flying when it comes to coverage but crunch is far superior to bounce. It still retains the intimidate boost on its first switch-in and gains an immense amount of bulk.

Mold breaker is pretty useless though and lack of lefties hurt.

Actually mega gyarados is a huge boost to gyara's taunt+DD set. Water+dark is pretty even with water+flying when it comes to coverage but crunch is far superior to bounce. It still retains the intimidate boost on its first switch-in and gains an immense amount of bulk.

Mold breaker is pretty useless though and lack of lefties hurt.
Too bad it doesn't get Crunch. Man Nubbins, first Greninja's speed and now this?!

i think you guys are missing the whole point of an optional mega evolution

if gyarados runs DD, it has a really good chance of getting a DD off safely

if you predict an electric attack, mega and DD on the same turn

if you predict a fighting attack, DD but don't mega

you can either keep flying type or switch to fighting based on what they have out.

EVs will be tweaked from the older generation, but the nature and IVs listed allow it to outspeed neutral-natured Base-130s after a Dragon Dance
I could be wrong, but doesn't a Jolly Gyarados with 168 speed EVs outspeed a positive-natured base 130?

EDIT: (after one dragon dance, of course)

why cant it be water/dragon? it would still have two weaknesses. both dark and dragon are weak to dragon anyway but with dark, it has loads more weaknesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)