ORAS OU Hail Hydra (Hydreigon Balance, Peaked #5)

Ricardo

Banned deucer.
Hail Hydra

Art Created by njnp

Introduction:

Hello everyone!
I am Snowtop also known as Ricardo and today i bring a team with a rather peculiar mon: Specs Hydreigon.
I had the idea for this set when some of my friends were arguing about this mon and it's viable sets. One of them said the only viable set was scarf and i had to call him retarded and explain hydreigon's breaking powers. I made a lo Hydreigon team but i ended up clicking dark pulse or draco most of the time so i decided to try it out with specs and it worked brilliantly as special dark is so spammable. I came up with a different version but njnp helped me in refining the team to what it is today.
The set "debuted" in wcop where Hydreigon had amazing results and the set got some traction on both ladder and tour play. The team is also 2-0 in tournament usage as far as i know
Let's get into the team!

Team in Depth:

Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

Overview
Hydreigon is a monster. With specs this mon 2hko'es the whole tier outside of chansey.
It has an amazing dual stab offensively and enough bulk to switch into a plethora of mons like bulky waters and punish something with dark pulse or erase them from this plane with a specs draco. Hydreigon punishes most balance/semi stall builds since nothing switches into specs dark pulse and clef takes A LOT from flash cannon, disabling it as a switch in for the rest of the game.
Fire Blast is used over Thrower since it 2hkoes Bold Clef and eases prediction vs certain cores. It also does well vs most chansey less stalls. You can run some other moves in the last slot (although i think flash cannon is the best since it removes clef from checking you), focus blast and earth power are to ease prediction vs heatran/tar cores. Please never run u turn on this team, hydreigon breaks pretty much everything, no need for momentum when you will most likely get a kill.
Special dark resists really dont exist outside of tyranitar, klefki, and clefable all of which don't like taking hydreigon's coverage moves. Adding to the fact that hydreigon resists pursuit and has decent bulk which allows it to switch into weak attacks such as scalds, it becomes difficult to stop and is very efficient at breaking walls.

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Stun Spore

Overview
Although Hydreigon is an offensive monster, it's typing and average speed open it to a lot of mons like Diancie and Keldeo. Amoonguss is a great check to those due it's typing and large HP stat.
Giga drain is a mandatory stab move which allows amoonguss to have some offensive presence on the team against bulky waters and even some ground types.
Clear smog has incredible utility because it stops certain problem mons from just using amoonguss as set up fodder as well as pressuring things like clefable more.
Spore is one of the main reasons to use amoonguss since if the opponent doesnt have a grass type, you essentially guarantee something will be put to sleep. A wall breaker like hydreigon, or even wall breakers in generally, love the free turns that a sleeping mon provides. It is just more opportunities to throw out dark pulses. Stun spore is also amazing utility since it slows down the opposing team for hydreigon. Amoonguss' role on the team is a very important one since it compresses a lot of utility in one slot while also managing to avoid being set up fodder with clear smog and spore. Not to mention its very self sufficient because of regenerator.

Lopunny-Mega (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Return

Overview
I don't think Lopunny needs an introduction, everyone knows what this mon does. It is pretty one dimensional. It breaks offense which is Hydreigon's most hated matchup.
The moveset is pretty standard with fake out as an amazing priority move that ensures a safe mega evolution, gets necessary chip damage, and turns certain 2hkos into ohkos. Ice punch is honestly the best option for lopunny's last move because it hits garchomp and landorus, many player's go-to lopunny checks on bulky offense and even some offensively-oriented balances.
Other moves to consider are power-up punch or toxic each of which do different things. Power up punch gives lopunny the power to break through balance which hydreigon already does while toxic helps vs unaware clef and calm mind slowbro which the team handles fairly well.
Having coverage to immediately threaten bulky offense and offense builds, which hydreigon hates, is preferred on this team. Lopunny also baits in mons like slowbro or skarm which allow for an easy double switch to hydreigon to just click dark pulse.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Overview
Heatran compresses many roles on this team. It's the wisp absorber, the rocker, the scizor check, the latios check (surf was uncommon back then), the clef check and the stallbreaker.
Heatran is the glue of this team, it prevents the team from being 6-0ed by the most common threats in the tier. It also traps chansey so hydreigon can break through stall. The set is nothing special.
Max speed has many merits such as being able to consistently check offensive scizor and even outspeed mons like heracross and adamant excadrill (both of which are annoying for this team).

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Overview
Scarf Landorus is the second revenger and first momentum grabber of the team. It also has surprisingly good bulk without investement, making it my main scarf Excadrill switch in.
The speed ev's are to underspeed other scarf landos for u-turn momentum.
Landorus has quite an important role on the team since its the main form of speed control. It also baits in mons that allow hydreigon to just click dark pulse and kill something. Mons that like switching into landorus such as rotom and landorus dont enjoy taking hydreigon's attacks.
The main thing about lando (and its role within the context of this team) is that it's able to create situations where because hydreigon checks dont easily fit onto teams (besides clef), the opponent has to choose to sack something. At that point, it becomes a mind game where the hydreigon user will usually come out on top because of the offensive pressure the team applies. If the opponent decides to let rotom or lando take damage, just to prevent something else from taking a hit, then they are that much more susceptible to lopunny.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 112 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Roost
- Volt Switch

Overview
Mew is the second momentum grabber of this team and the main Fighting switch in. Mew is here to defog hazards, switch into lop/medicham and volt around bringing lopunny and hydreigon for free. It also has some spdef so it can be a secondary Latios Switch in if they're Surf.
Will o wisp in conjunction with volt switch is very dangerous because mew can volt on opposing wisp absorbers allowing free switches into hydreigon or lopunny. If the opposing team doesnt have a good wisp absorber then it becomes easy to cripple their team and set up either a lopunny or scarf lando sweep.

Threatlist

Latios @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Surf
- Trick

Not even Heatran likes switching into specs draco and it just gets erased as a switch in on a surf prediction.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

It can be outplayable but it's really hard to switch into and can kill landorus with shard from a high %.
Put up rocks asap vs this.

Gardevoir-Mega (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 52 Def / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Will-O-Wisp
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Heatran can damage it and Mew can burn it but Gardevoir poses a big threat to this team if it comes in for free, especially if Heatran is low.

+
+

Gliscor Stall is gg at team preview.

Conclusion

I really enjoy this team and feel that it had a large impact in showcasing specs hydreigon as a legitimate threat. This team was the first team in world cup to showcase specs hydreigon and many other hydreigon teams (with a very similar structure) followed. With the use of 2 momentum grabbing mons to accentuate hydreigon's wall breaking prowess as well as incredible utility from amoonguss, the team has a lot of room to outplay almost every match up.

Proof of peak: Lt5AeducatingLHill

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-169219 <- World Cup
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-195517 <- OLT

Import:

Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Stun Spore

Lopunny-Mega (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Return

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 112 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Roost
- Volt Switch

Last edited:

Gilbert arenas

Rex rhydon
is a Tiering Contributor
Just another threat this team should be wary of IMO is taunt sd/bu talon sets up on tran amoong mew and even hydra and kills everything(but tran) @+3
cool team
grats on peak

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I always felt like bp along with manaphy and eject button dugtrio stall was a big issue to this team. Manaphy is the most manageable out of them cause u can at least revenge with lop or lando if its under around 55. I think this team being able to keep off hazards and provide opportunities with volt switch from mew and u turn from lando for specs hydregion. Glad I was able to help in the buildig process of this team. Certainly is one of my favorite teams of gen 6.

Ricardo

Banned deucer.
Just another threat this team should be wary of IMO is taunt sd/bu talon sets up on tran amoong mew and even hydra and kills everything(but tran) @+3
cool team
grats on peak
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 190-225 (52.9 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Talonflame doesn't setup on hydreigon bro, you just pp stall roosts, taunt can be annoying though.

Ricardo

Banned deucer.
I
I always felt like bp along with manaphy and eject button dugtrio stall was a big issue to this team. Manaphy is the most manageable out of them cause u can at least revenge with lop or lando if its under around 55. I think this team being able to keep off hazards and provide opportunities with volt switch from mew and u turn from lando for specs hydregion. Glad I was able to help in the buildig process of this team. Certainly is one of my favorite teams of gen 6.
I forgot about manaphy and duggy stall, fuck. I didn't remember duggy stall since it wasn't big back but manaphy certainly is annoying. Scarf lando, mew and lop are enough though, you know this :]

Gilbert arenas

Rex rhydon
is a Tiering Contributor
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 190-225 (52.9 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Talonflame doesn't setup on hydreigon bro, you just pp stall roosts, taunt can be annoying though.[/quote
I mean that's pulse, other 3 moves it gets free setup. But ya I wasn't clear

Ricardo

Banned deucer.
You'll be clicking pulse most of the time, dw.
If not, you can put yourself in a position where you force it to attack you with something like amoonguss and revenge with hydreigon.
It's definitely outplayable imo.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi :3

- maybe slash yache as a potential item on amoonguss for Weavile.
- sick team otherwise, seems like it can outplay pretty much any match up in the right hands

Been using the team I find it very fun but a few problems I have found are your dark resist doesn't really exist and I've not fount much use for mew as amoonguss switches into keldeo unless it's running icy wind I don't know what to change it to but i found the team slightly slow baring scarf landorus and mega lopunny. But I could be talking nonsense as you've peaked with the team

Ricardo

Banned deucer.
Been using the team I find it very fun but a few problems I have found are your dark resist doesn't really exist and I've not fount much use for mew as amoonguss switches into keldeo unless it's running icy wind I don't know what to change it to but i found the team slightly slow baring scarf landorus and mega lopunny. But I could be talking nonsense as you've peaked with the team
Haha, glad you liked it.
Thanks for the input, although i don't really see why you have those opinions.
While darks can be annoying, the only one that is actually dangerous is weavile as it revenges a lot of the team, hydreigon dies to crash and lop takes a shit ton. The best way to deal with it is to make a smart trade with a member of your team.
Mew does a lot for the team, it gains momentum, it defogs hazards, tit's a backup check to mons like Surf Latios and most of all, it is a sturdy check to Medicham which got a kill everytime if mew wasn't on this team.
Lastly, the team has a lot of speed imo, Lopunny is one of the fastest megas, it revenges most of the unboosted tier. Same with lando, it outspeeds the whole game outside of scarf jirachi and scarf keldeo which aren't common mons atm.
Glad you like the team :]

Hey I found one problem when playing w/ this team and it was it's matchup against volcanion. which can be kinda annoying to play around if they get the burns since ur only switch to it is hydriegon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)