Hail/Weather Check/Build Up Team

Team Preview:

Team Build Reasoning: Hail. Hail was the first reason. This challenge is very great, considering today's Rain and Sandstorm Dominated Metagame. The idea then morphed into a Weather Check Team and, eventually, to a team dedicated to the build-up of a single Pokemon, the only named Annihilate (I'll give you a guess). The biggest rule: Item Clause is on.

Chill (Abomasnow) (F) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Snow Warning
Shiny: No
EVs: 252 Atk / 172 SAtk / 84 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Unless you're running a Rain Dance+Swift Swim Team, having the Weather Inducer is required for the Weather in the OU Metagame. Abomasnow holds Snow Warning as its Signature Ability, and Chill here has a few tricks up her non-existent sleeves. She runs the Expert Belt set--an extra punch and a great Choice-Item Fake Out. An unsuspecting opponent will likely have at least two Pokemon fall, given the conditions. Protect and Hidden Power Fire, outside of Rain, gives Abomasnow a safe Fight or Flight choice against Scizor, the most commonly seen Pokemon in the metagame. Using Protect against a Choice-Locked Scizor gives you 99% prediction. If it decides to use Pursuit, staying in and using Hidden Power Fire is definitely the best option. Against most other moves, particularlty Bullet Punch, fleeing is the way to survive.

Starfish (Starmie) @ Icy Rock
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Rapid Spin
- Thunder
- Hail

Starfish has four jobs in the team. For starters, it makes for a great Spinner. Secondly, it makes a relatively good Rain Team Check with Thunder. Third, if push comes to shove for the team, Hail with Icy Rock gives temporary Hail in a pinch. Finally, when Hail is up, Blizzard becomes a powerhouse that won't miss, giving Sandstorm Teams some hassle. Being Physically Weak, though, doesn't help, but it does resist common Priority like Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, and Ice Shard. Quick Attack is rare and the only ExtremeSpeed user that doesn't fear Blizzard is Lucario.

Fury (Scizor) (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

I don't like the fact that Scizor is the most used Pokemon the tier considering some of its weaknesses are far too common, but it does make for a great Revenge Killer. In Sandstorm or Rain, Fury here makes a great choice to use thanks to either the immunity or the Fire-Weakness reduction. The EV spread here is different than the typical Choice Band set, as it promotes Special Bulk over Speed. This allows Fury to allow somewhat weaker Special Attacks so she can safely U-Turn after the opponent and give Chill a free switch-in, activating Hail without taking damage. Fury remains with the Attack EVs and Adamant because of the natural power of Bullet Punch and Pursuit, two common moves. I personally have well enough prediction to know which of the two moves to use successfully.

Scorcher (Heatran) (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Stealth Rock

Sun Teams would be wrecking this had it not been for Scorcher. Heatran runs the Offensive Set with Air Balloon, having an answer to Earthquake and Earth Power users. Earth Power, Fire Blast, and Hidden Power Grass get great coverage together, while Stealth Rock allows the team to set up a very annoying Hazard on the field. Scorcher also acts as a near sure-fire Scizor check, though he must watch for Superpower.

Courtney (Froslass) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball

It was tough...I had to choose between Froslass, a Spikes user and possible Weather Inducer remover...or the Alakazam. I ultimately chose Courtney, my Froslass, for a few reasons. For starters, Spikes is an amazing hazard when coupled with Stealth Rock, forcing some Pokemon to take massive damage when switching in. This makes constant switch-outs pay dearly for the decision (like Weather Inducers). On top of that, Courtney can be kept for Spin-Blocking purposes as well, keeping the hazards her and possibly Scorcher have laid.
As a bonus, Destiny Bond comes in to go against Weather Inducers, particularly Choice-Locked Pokemon.

Annihilate (Kyurem) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 52 HP / 220 SAtk / 236 Spd
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Of all the Pokemon to choose for build-up, Kyurem came in first. I personally like to keep a Dragon-Type on a team and Kyurem fit the bill thanks to an immunity to Hail. Annihilate runs the SubRoost set. Once its biggest threats are removed by the team, it can come in and set up. I chose Ice Beam over Blizzard because Kyurem is meant to last out the opposition when push comes to shove, especially taking in that Hail won't always be up at the end. It's naturally powerful and has near perfect neutral coverage. Typically, it'd have problems, but the point of the team is to remove them for Annihilate to set up anyways.

Other Considerations:

Beartic was actually on a Hail Team of mine a while back. Thanks to Swift Swim, Beartic could outrun most Pokemon on the opposing Rain Teams. Stone Edge, Superpower, and Icicle Crash made for great coverage against some Rain Team Pokemon. The problem for Beartic is that it holds no moves to hit Water-Types Super-Effectively. Starmie, on the other hand, holds Thunder under Rain and Blizzard under Hail, giving it the ever-so-annoying BoltBeam Combo. I like Beartic, but...I'm sorry.

Articuno is much of the same with Beartic, but holds Hurricane against Rain Teams. Problem is, Ferrothorn exists and uses Gyro Ball. I like Articuno, but it isn't as great as first thought.

To be fair, Alakazam was close to being on the team thanks to his great mustache and ability to Revenge Kill. His attacks are powerful and he's quite fast, but I wanted a Pokemon to also support on top of being fast, so I chose Froslass over him. Perhaps I'll use him in my Sandstorm Team?

...just kidding. I hate this thing anyways.

This was...the hardest decision. I enjoyed Kyurem-B's natural Physical Strength, but it lacked closer Neutral Coverage that Kyurem had. On top of that, Kyurem-B doesn't seem like the kind of Pokemon I'd trust a SubRoost set with. I prefered Kyurem-O's natural bulk and better Special Attack. Plus, some people Taunt Kyurem-B the moment it hits the field, forcing it to attack instead of set up, unlike Kyurem-O, which not as many people taunt. I like Kyurem-B and all (and frankly, the power by itself should've been enough to make it Uber), but it's not for the team.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc. are all welcome. This...is my first RMT post...

Bump--I need this team rated for a tournament that my friend is holding next week and I want to know what people think of it--weaknesses, worries, extra suggestions. Please?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)