Hall of Fame

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
had no clue where in hell I could post this, all the pokemon forums are divided by game generations.

A while back, Fish started a project for a smogon Hall of Fame, which he never finished obviously. I thought it was kind of interresting however at the time, (especially considering he put me in it!) so I thought about asking him if he still had it to post it here for opinions.

I still think it would make a cool section on smogon eventually if completed. By that I mean being up to date, maybe allow 2-3 people per year and with section elaborating on why they made the list.

here it is :

------------------------------------------------------------------

Smogon Hall of Fame

Welcome to the Smogon Hall of Fame! This section is dedicated to honoring members of the community, past and current, who have played an influential role in our community over the years. Getting in to the Hall of Fame is no easy task, as a limited amount of people were inducted at inception and only a handful gain acceptance each year.

Pokémon was first released in the United States in 1998. The development of the online Pokémon community was immediate. Initially, it was just a place that people could come to talk about their common interest or discuss the game and relevant strategy. There was no way to battle online, and most competitive play took place in the form of annual mall tournaments held by Nintendo. This community is many years in the making, and some of the common features, such as online battling programs and tournaments, which may be taken for granted today, had important origins in the past. Not only will the Hall of Fame recognize these individuals, but it can also serve as a little history lesson for newer members.

Of course, Smogon is relatively new in the life of the online Pokémon community. How can the Smogon Hall of Fame be home to members of the community who were active before the turn of the millennium and may have never so much have heard of Smogon? To put it simply, today’s Smogon is the culmination of years of online Pokémon history. The community we are all part of now is the current step in the progression of a numerous different forums and groups that have existed over the years. Keep in mind that this does not encompass all of the online Pokémon community. The Smogon community, and those communities leading up to it, has always focuses on the competitive battling aspect. While there may have been other noteworthy achievements in the field of online Pokémon outside of this community, this Hall of Fame only recognizes those that were of influence to its development. Additionally, since this is an online battling community, this Hall of Fame does not officially recognize the winners of official Nintendo events, although some of those accomplishments may be added to a member’s profile when relevant.

There are three wings in the Smogon Hall of Fame.

Influence: The first wing houses members of the community who will be remembered for their influence to making Smogon what it is today. Inductees to this wing were pioneers in shaping the form of online Pokémon today. Creating online battle systems and managing the websites that keep the community together are no easy task. Some of the most influential are recognized here. One induction to this wing will be made per year.

Members-
1999 – Blizzard/PBS
2000 – Mr. K/Azure
2001 – StarCaliber/Sneakville
2002 – Fanha/IRCbots
2003 – TVsIan/Netbattle
2004 – MasamuneXGP/Netbattle
2005 – chaos/Smogon
2006 – Justin8649/Smogon

Excellence: The next wing that can be found in our Hall is the wing of Excellence. Here, you can find members of the community who are recognized for outstanding battling skills, innovation in moveset creation, or a combination of both. Many members here are recognizable names who have created memorable movesets. Others have been mainstays in the online community whose names surely command respect for their battling prowess. One induction to this wing will be made per year.

Members-
1999 – Wintermute/Tobybro
2000 – Deranged/RBY Influence
2001 – Fish151PKMN/Fishlax and Fishtauros
2002 – Vineon/RBY Prowess
2003 – Celia/GSC Influence
2004 – McGraw/McGar and ADV Influence
2005 – Hipmonlee/All Gens Prowess
2006 – Jumpman16/Boah, Espyjump

Triumph: The final wing that can be found here houses the members of the community who have been champions in our major tournaments. These have been two tournament series that have commanded attention and respect that normal tournaments have been unable to attain over the years. Sneakville featured the first successful online tournament and spawned a series of annual events that remain today as some of the most memorable over the years. Today, Smogon features an annual official tournament that attracts an incredible amount of interest, greatly increasing its number of contestants with every event. The winners of these great events are enshrined in this wing.
Members-
Sneak 1 – ET
Sneak 2 – Haste2
Sneak 3 – Nitro1010
Tournament 1 - CrazyStarwolf
Tournament 2 – Noobster
Tournament 3 - Loki

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whats everybody's thoughts?

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Some recommendations for 2007.

Colin for his work on shoddybattle.
Obi for building teams that everyone would steal.
MoP for building teams that everyone would steal.

Have a nice day.

By default I'd say Colin probably has to be in Influence for either 07 or 08, seeing as how most everyone else that has done a simulator is there.

Although for Triumph I would definitely change that whole thing up. Major tournaments sure, but then you have to add in like Vin's constant rambling of his like 1800 RBY tournament win streak, or JMC's 2 straight RBY IBT wins and his Sneak 3v2 win and high finish in ST3. VIL's 2 Smogon Tour and Goof's ST4+Smogon Tour. And then we can add me in there for actual most Smogon Tournament wins and *runs* but you get the gist of it.

Agreeing with Colin, husk, and goofball all deserving recognition. I think it would help show that smogon appreciates Colin's work, since a lot of the time it seems people believe we do not.

Agreeing with Colin, husk, and goofball all deserving recognition. I think it would help show that smogon appreciates Colin's work, since a lot of the time it seems people believe we do not.
Yeah, I'm agreeing with this.

Also, when are inductions made? I don't think it said when in the first post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)