Hemiswap! ~ The Trading Metagame [Play on Pandora!]

(Approved by Eevee General)

Overview:
Since the very beginning of Pokemon's multiplayer, back when you had to beg your parents for enough money to pick up a bulky Mad Catz link cable from the local EB Games, the game has always consisted of two core concepts: battling and trading. Showdown! cuts that down to just the battling (unless you count stealing people's teams off RMTs), but Hemiswap is about both...at the same time. Each match, your opponent graciously trades you half their team, and you trade them half of yours! Isn't sharing wonderful?

Here's how it works: think of your first three slots and your last three slots as separate "halves." Right before the match, Showdown! flips a metaphorical coin. Heads, it picks the first half of your team, tails, it picks the second half. Then, the Pokemon in that half are now a part of your opponent's team, and vice versa. Finally, the game progresses to team preview as normal.

This changes the entire concept of team-building. Ideally, you want to create two self-sustained, independent cores of three that not only support each other, but have options for dealing with your other core. After all, no matter which half gets traded, your two cores will always be going head to head. Your building skills will be put to the test, as your goal is not an unstoppable team, but a team that can stop itself...both ways. But don't forget that you'll also be using half of your opponent's team -- you might end up with half Stall and half Hyper Offense! You might even end up with two of the same Pokemon! Anything can happen in Hemiswap!

Ruleset:
- OU banlist, OU clauses
- Teams must have 6 Pokemon
- Half your team is traded to your opponent

Q&A:
Q: What's stopping me from filling half my team with garbage to screw over my opponent?
A: Well, you have a 50% chance of keeping that half. It might be funny if you trade a Magikarp, Caterpie and Unown to win a match, but your chance of doing that is the same as hitting Zap Cannon. Best case scenario is that you end up with a 50% win-rate, overall. Not a reliable strategy. Also, if you're playing against a friend, they not be your friend for very long. Fair warning.

Q: What if I end up keeping my Talonflame but losing my Defogger?
A: Your first three Pokemon and last three Pokemon will always stay together, so keep that fact in mind if you absolutely need to use two Pokemon together. If you have a Dragon-Fairy-Steel core, for instance, consider keeping them together in the first or second half.

Q: What if I end up with a Mega Manectric from my team and a Mega Altaria from my opponent's team?
A: You can use both of them, but only one can Mega Evolve, true to in-game mechanics. If you're using Mega Pokemon on your team, consider options like Scizor and Tyranitar, that work with or without Mega Evolving. You don't want to end up with a Beedrill and a Lopunny on the same team, because you'll have to choose one of them to be good and the other to be unusable trash.

Q: What if I end up with two of the same Pokemon?
A: Species clause does not apply in this case, so have fun with double Azumaril or whatever you end up with.

Q: So does that mean I can ignore Species Clause while team-building?
A: Nope. The challenge/ladder queue option will still stop you if you bring more than one of the same Pokemon.

Strategies:
Here are some tricks that could help you succeed in the magical world of Hemiswap!

#1:
VS.

Here are two thrown-together FWG cores. While putting both of these on the same team may seem foolish at first, keep in mind you'll only be hanging on to one of them. Each can adequately cover each others' weaknesses and can also function on their own. Notice the choices here: Blastoise can Rapid Spin for Talonflame, while Serperior can Leaf Storm through Suicuine's Calm Minds. You can even deliberately build with small details that might give you the edge, like giving Talonflame Safety Goggles to mess with Breloom or giving Heatran a Scarf with Stone Edge to surprise Talonflame. If you want Serperior to be more adequately walled by Heatran should your opponent get the Contrary snake, perhaps you should opt for Hidden Power Fire over Ground. If your opponent has Heatran, they won't know what coverage you have, and may even assume that since you made the team, you'd give it HP Ground simply to deal with Heatran. It's all up to you.
#2:
VS.

Lures can be very effective in standard play...provided your opponent actually brings what you're supposed to lure. In this metagame, however, you know at least half of your opponent's team, and can plan accordingly. Damage reduction berries can be especially evil, as if you end up with that Pokemon, your opponent won't know about the berry and may fall into your trap. But if you get that Pokemon traded to the opponent, then you'll know exactly what it's holding and how to play around it. Here's an example: if you bring Yache Berry Landorus on one half and Weavile on the other, then you can essentially bluff a Scarf and get off free U-turns or Stealth Rocks throughout the game without fearing Ice moves. If Weavile decides to stay in, you can invest yourself to survive any hit and get a kill in return. You can't be revenge-killed with Ice Shard either, allowing you to play Landorus much more recklessly. But if the opponent gets Landorus, you know not to fear Scarf or a damage boosting item. It's a win-win in either case.
#3:
VS.

While we're on the topic of lures, a more common sight in standard play is carrying an uncommon coverage move to destroy would-be counters. A famous one is HP Ice Terrakion, which with minimal Special Attack investment can 2HKO Physically Defensive variants of the dastardly Gliscor. Like the previous example, you will know about the lure no matter which side you get, but your opponent will only know if they end up with Terrakion. This means that if you're on the other side of the lure, you can toy with your opponent by switching an Ice resist into Terrakion.
#4:
VS.

"Speed creeping" is a well-established practice in standard play, where a player gives a Pokemon some unexpected Pokemon an uncommonly high number of Speed EVs to outpace Pokemon that would normally outspeed you. But "creeping" is taken to a whole new level in this metagame, as you can both intentionally invest positively and negatively to guarantee certain Pokemon to live or faint certain 2HKOs, etc. Maybe, in order to promote a Tail Glow Manapy sweep, you can spec Venusaur to die from a +6 Ice Beam. Or, in order to stop such a sweep, you can make a slow Manaphy that dies to Giga Drain. It's unlikely that opponent's will take note of your exact spread, so your knowledge of specific EV benchmarks could give you the upper hand in battle.

How to Play:

You can play it on pandora.psim.us, courtesy of Slayer95 who both coded and hosted it!

However, you can also play it manually on the main server, if you so choose. Here's how:

1) Create two separate teams in Teambuilder, each with only three Pokemon. These would normally represent the first half and second half of a single team. Designate one half-team as "hit" and one half-team as "miss." Maybe name them something like "Hemiswap 1 HIT" or "Hemiswap Trick Room HIT"
2) Click Export for each half-team and copy/paste the data on Pastebin as separate files. Post them and hold onto the links.
3) Challenge someone to an Ubers/custom battle using the following "team." Primal Groudon was chosen so you can't cheat the system by holding Bright Powder or Wide Lens. No weighted dice around here.

Coin Flip (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
- Dynamic Punch

If the first Dynamic Punch lands, you trade the half-team designated "hit." If it misses, you trade the one designated "miss." (NOTE: If you trust this person, you can save some time by flipping a real coin, and subbing in heads for hit and tails for miss. But isn't this way more fun?)
4) Send the person you challenged the Pastebin for the half-team that the "coin flip" chose.
5) Open the Import/Export menu in Teambuilder for the remaining half-team you didn't trade. Copy and paste the team data that was traded to you immediately under your current three Pokemon, with one line of space between Pokemon.
6) Highlight the entire team's data and copy it, but don't save. Instead, navigate out of that team and create a new one. Import the data you just copied, and save this as a team of six, naming it something like "Hemiswap TRADE A". This way, you can keep the half-teams for future trades without having to delete part of them.
7) Now, challenge the person to an OU or custom game using your completed team. If you ended up with a repeat Pokemon, then a custom game will be necessary to evade species clause. If you can, try not to pay too close attention to the Teambuilder data before battling. You normally wouldn't have the privledge of looking at the exact EV spreads. You can still see the stats by hovering over a Pokemon in battle, though!
8) Enjoy your battle! If you wouldn't mind posting a replay, it would be great if you shared them in the thread. I'll add them to the OP.

Replays:

[1]: [dusk raimon vs. AnybodyAgrees] = First legitimate Hemiswap game!
[2]: [AnybodyAgrees vs. Beta Ray Bliz] = Demonstration of HP Ice Landorus lure set
[3]: [Akumeoy vs. AnybodyAgrees] = Case study in the effectiveness of Pursuit

Last edited:
I actually love the idea of this metagame, not just to theorymon but to play. It really emphasises developing skills in everything that team building is about, which are transferrable to literally every other metagame, both standard and other. Building solid cores, lures and speed creeps, as well as being wary about a establishing an in-game strategy is vital and I can't think of another metagame that accentuates these skills to such an extent. Well done on creating such a great metagame, and I look forward to building teams very soon.

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
Well, I have a team. We can play by manually pming the other people their coin flip, just by the honor system.

I have a wonderfully devious team all ready for this. Let's just say that regardless of what my opponent gets, they're not going to be happy.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
I think we need to make it keep 4 give 2 to stop half trash teams from getting 50% win rates
Also you might get two megas vs 0 of your opponent
Seems really cool but has some fundamental issues :S

I think we need to make it keep 4 give 2 to stop half trash teams from getting 50% win rates
Also you might get two megas vs 0 of your opponent
Seems really cool but has some fundamental issues :S
I don't think the mega issue is a problem. You could simply build a team with a mega in each core. If you trade and get back a core with a mega in it, you are no worse off then you would have been. If you get a core with no mega in it, then you just use the mega in the core that you kept.

I also honestly don't think filling your team with trash pokemon would be a viable strategy either. Sure it may work for low ladder, but no one past that stage would do it. Because essentially then you are just play 3v3 instead of 6v6 and that defeats the whole purpose.
Also, the person (A) that bring the trash team is at a disadvantage, because they know only how to beat half off the opponents (B) team (the trash half) that they traded off. Meanwhile the opponent (B) can beat all of the other persons team (A) because half is trash, and the other half they made themselves!

I don't think the mega issue is a problem. You could simply build a team with a mega in each core. If you trade and get back a core with a mega in it, you are no worse off then you would have been. If you get a core with no mega in it, then you just use the mega in the core that you kept.

I also honestly don't think filling your team with trash pokemon would be a viable strategy either. Sure it may work for low ladder, but no one past that stage would do it. Because essentially then you are just play 3v3 instead of 6v6 and that defeats the whole purpose.
Also, the person (A) that bring the trash team is at a disadvantage, because they know only how to beat half off the opponents (B) team (the trash half) that they traded off. Meanwhile the opponent (B) can beat all of the other persons team (A) because half is trash, and the other half they made themselves!
I was writing a similar post but this says it better than I could.

But to elaborate: if this ever gets a ladder, I have some ideas about how to nerf this strategy, but I don't think it will come to that. A 50% winrate is actually considered pretty bad by decent players -- that's why the required winrate for suspect tests is so high. Ladder troubles aside, I feel like this metagame works better as a challenge format anyway. You'll mostly be playing with friends, and even if someone brings a bunch of LC Pokemon in one you half, you can just forfeit and lose nothing. Tournaments would probably have a "sandbagging" clause where wins can be invalidated if this strategy is being used. I don't foresee it being anything but a low-tier annoyance, all said.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First

Acutally now that I think of it the mega thing isnt an issue at all.

but come on half trash teams are an issue. Full trash makes it 3v3 yes but half trash teams make it 6v3 in one persons favor. Then the win rate will essentially be 50-50. If in chess black could guarantee a draw it would be no fun at all and this is the same. How are you supposed to get past the bottom of the ladder if you lose half your games? I standby the opinion that you should have 4 and trade 2. If you tech against your own team then your opponent might get the side with the techs and you will be screwed.

Acutally now that I think of it the mega thing isnt an issue at all.

but come on half trash teams are an issue. Full trash makes it 3v3 yes but half trash teams make it 6v3 in one persons favor. Then the win rate will essentially be 50-50. If in chess black could guarantee a draw it would be no fun at all and this is the same. How are you supposed to get past the bottom of the ladder if you lose half your games? I standby the opinion that you should have 4 and trade 2. If you tech against your own team then your opponent might get the side with the techs and you will be screwed.
If it's 4-2 there's no way to evenly divide up what you trade and what you keep -- it would have to be random. That means no cores, which kind of ruins the whole point. If it becomes a problem, I'm willing to add any number of these additional clauses in order, depending on how bad it is:

- All Pokemon must be level 100
- All Pokemon must have four moves
- All Pokemon must have full EV investment
- All Pokemon must be listed on the OU Viability Rankings (E Rank minimum)
- All Pokemon must have moves tagged as "usable" (they show up in the first area of the teambuilder...not sure if this is possible)

This doesn't solve the problem entirely (you can have a core of all 4x Rock-weaks, or run something like normal Pidgeot) but at least it still makes the game winnable for the player that got screwed over. Good players should be able to succeed with 3 good Pokemon and 3 potentially supbar sets, so players should still rise above 50% if they try.

I'll also say that if a player is using the strategy, they're probably unskilled in general. As long as your cores are solid enough, you should easily be able to sweep with only three good Pokemon when you're fighting bottom-ladder trash. Look up some replays of a solo-Shuckle sweep in Ubers if you don't believe me.

But this is all speculative. This is the last thing I'll say on the matter, because this isn't even coded, and it certainly doesn't have a ladder. I'm not changing anything until it becomes a nessecity.

I really like this meta, mainly because between competent opponents, it eliminates counterteaming, meaning that the outcome will be decided by either the opponents lack of knowledge of your team or by player skill. Even the best players in other metas can lose if they encounter something their team has trouble with. Now they are guaranteed to have an answer to the opponents threats.

Illusio

Bold and Brash
If it's 4-2 there's no way to evenly divide up what you trade and what you keep -- it would have to be random. That means no cores, which kind of ruins the whole point. If it becomes a problem, I'm willing to add any number of these additional clauses in order, depending on how bad it is:

- All Pokemon must be level 100 - That would eliminate FEAR mons, but other than that, I agree with it
- All Pokemon must have four moves I have no arguments against this one
- All Pokemon must have full EV investment I have no arguments against this one
- All Pokemon must be listed on the OU Viability Rankings (E Rank minimum) No. Not only are you removing certain niches from the meta, you're also removing viable mons that just aren't viable in OU, such as Dusclops
- All Pokemon must have moves tagged as "usable" (they show up in the first area of the teambuilder...not sure if this is possible) No. You still remove viable moves, such as Sleep Talk, and also most Hidden Power types,

This doesn't solve the problem entirely (you can have a core of all 4x Rock-weaks, or run something like normal Pidgeot) but at least it still makes the game winnable for the player that got screwed over. Good players should be able to succeed with 3 good Pokemon and 3 potentially supbar sets, so players should still rise above 50% if they try.

I'll also say that if a player is using the strategy, they're probably unskilled in general. As long as your cores are solid enough, you should easily be able to sweep with only three good Pokemon when you're fighting bottom-ladder trash. Look up some replays of a solo-Shuckle sweep in Ubers if you don't believe me.

But this is all speculative. This is the last thing I'll say on the matter, because this isn't even coded, and it certainly doesn't have a ladder. I'm not changing anything until it becomes a nessecity.
Comments in bold

1st: I just wanna say that this meta is amazing not just because it would be fun to play, but it honestly helps team builders soooo much in creating strong cores, utilising lures, and putting more thought into their EV spreads. The skills picked up in playing this meta will have a great impact on pokemon as a whole in which ever tier or meta game.

2nd: I feel like Shedinja may be something worth considering that is often unviable in other tiers/metas.

A team set up like this may prove to quite decent.
Pokemon 1, 2, and 3: Shedinja, a hazard remover/bouncer, any pokemon that benefits from what Shedinja walls on the other half of the team.
Pokemon 4, 5, and 6: 2 pokemon walled by Shedinja, 1 pokemon generally walled by Shedinja but with a lure move. None of these pokemon should have hazards or Sand Storm.

If you get the Shedinja, you know that you have the hazard support Shedinja needs, and that at least a 3rd of the opposing team is cock blocked by Shedinja. Also there is a good chance of your opponent not having a hazard setter.
If your opponent gets Shedinja, they will likely assume that you have a lure, but they will have no way of knowing which pokemon they can't block. Hence won't be able to utilise Shedinja nearly as effectively.

So yeah it may be effective. But it may also suffer from random Hidden Powers like HP Fire flying around from opposing lure sets.
Thoughts?

Comments in bold
I also agree. I probably should have made a clearer divide in that post, but the last two are desperation measures. As in "more than half the ladder is using this strategy" desperate. I'd really not rather use them, but I would of the OM was unplayable on ladder (which I will keep repeating is the only format this issue would come up in).

Here are some other ones that I considered, but require more manual effort on my part:

-Ban all NFEs except for a shortlist of those usable in RU-OU, like Doublade and Porygon 2
-Ban a list of moves that are completely useless (Splash) or unarguably outclassed (Ember)
-Ban Unown >:[

Let me know what you think. I'll start drafting up a shitty move banlist, because at least then, we're probably not losing much.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
I take it that having a team of less than 6 pokemon will also be banned? Otherwise it would seem possible to just run 3 pokemon for an even more complete 50/50.
However, I don't think you'll ever entirely get rid of the potential to make it a 50/50. It's perfectly possible to have one half of the team be complete setup bait for the other half, yet still be made up of perfectly good OU pokes.

I take it that having a team of less than 6 pokemon will also be banned? Otherwise it would seem possible to just run 3 pokemon for an even more complete 50/50.
However, I don't think you'll ever entirely get rid of the potential to make it a 50/50. It's perfectly possible to have one half of the team be complete setup bait for the other half, yet still be made up of perfectly good OU pokes.
Yeah, I should add that one. Didn't even consider that.

I agree with you, but you need to remember that you have three of your own Pokemon. Even if your other three are subpar, I don't think it will ever be an instant loss, unless you're playing a good player...but then why would they use this strat? My goal right now is to minimize trolling, because in a ladder setting, there's no way to fully eliminate it. That said, here is the first draft of my move banlist:
Absorb
Acid
After You
Air Cuter
Ally Siwtch
Aromatic Mist
Astonish
Aurora Beam
Barrage
Bestow
Bone Club
Bubble
Bubble Beam
Celebrate
Comet Punch
Confusion
Constrict
Crafty Shield
Cut
Disarming Voice
Double Hit
Double Slap
Dragon Rage
Egg Bomb
Electroweb
Ember
Fairy Wind
Feint Attack
Fire Pledge
Flame Burst
Flower Shield
Follow Me
Fury Attack
Fury Swipes
Grass Pledge
Gust
Happy Hour
Heal Pulse
Heart Stamp
Helping Hand
Hold Back
Hold Hands
Horn Attack
Hyper Fang
Ion Deluge
Karate Chop
Land's Wrath
Leaf Tornado
Leech Life
Lick
Magical Leaf
Magnet Bomb
Magnetic Flux
Mat Block
Mega Drain
Mega Punch
Metal Claw
Mirror Shot
Mud Bomb
Mud Shot
Needle Arm
Octazooka
Pay Day
Peck
Poison Gas
Poison Powder
Poison Sting
Poison Tail
Pound
Powder Snow
Quick Guard
Rage
Rage Powder
Razor Leaf
Razor Wind
Rock Smash
Rock Throw
Rolling Kick
Rototiller
Round
Scratch
Shock Wave
Simple Beam
Slam
Sludge
Smog
Sonic Boom
Spark
Spike Cannon
Splash
Stomp
Strength
Swift
Synchronoise
Tackle
Take Down
Teleport
Thunder Shock
Triple Kick
Twineedle
Twister
Vice Grip
Vine Whip
Vital Throw
Water Gun
Water Pledge
Wide Guard
Wing Attack

I went pretty conservative on this fist pass, but still let me know if anyone has ever seen a serious set that utilizes any of these.

I also can't think of any NFEs worth saving except:

Chansey
Magneton
Porygon 2
Doublade
Dusclops (arguably)

There are a lot that just pale in comparison to their evolved forms. Because this is an OU based OM, I don't really see a point in using Gligar when Gliscor is here (inb4 MUH BULK). Thoughts?

DoW

formally Death on Wings
I also can't think of any NFEs worth saving except:

Chansey
Magneton
Porygon 2
Doublade
Dusclops (arguably)

There are a lot that just pale in comparison to their evolved forms. Because this is an OU based OM, I don't really see a point in using Gligar when Gliscor is here (inb4 MUH BULK). Thoughts?
On gliscor, poison heal + defog is illegal, and evio gligar has more bulk than hyper cutter gliscor. I wouldn't say gligar's especially useful, however if you happen to want a ground-type defog user for some reason it arguably has a niche. Other mons that could potentially be argued for are Scyther and Combusken, however neither's really usable in the slightest.

This is an amazing concept, but fyi even with those restrictions there's still a way to make a trash core. Just have 3 mons with status moves only and assault vest, or alternatively 3 status moves, assault vest, and fake out. Maybe even 4 stat-boosting moves without an assault vest.

I honesty don't think trash cores should be much of a problem. Sure it may be a thing on the low ladder but eventually people will stop using stuff like that.

What if you run 6 trash Pokemon? Then after you swap, both of you would have 3 good and 3 trash.
That would be interesting if you run two sets of cores that appear to be trash except if you know exactly how to use them. That way, your opponent will be clueless about how to use your three Pokemon but you will know exactly how to use your three and your opponents probably won't be that clever (unless this strategy becomes common)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)