Houndoom

I did a search but could not find a post for this cute little Hell hound. Let's see what the new generation brings for this guy shall we?

Dark/Fire

HP: 75
ATK: 90
DEF: 50
SPA: 110
SPD: 80
SPE: 95

Resistances/Immunities:
Immune: Psychic, Fire (only with flash fire)

Resist: Fire, Grass, Ice, Ghost, Dark, Steel

Weakness: Water, Rock, Ground, Fighting

Abilities:
Early Bird: Pokemon will sleep for only 50% (rounded down) the normal length. Even if self induced.

Flash Fire: (copied from smogon) When this Pokémon is hit by a Fire-type move, it takes no damage, and all Fire-type moves used by this Pokémon deal 50% more damage. While subsequent hits by Fire-type moves will deal no damage, they will not provide a further increase in the damage of Fire-type attacks. Will-O-Wisp also activates Flash Fire, even through a Substitute; however, Flash Fire is not activated through Protect. If a frozen Pokemon is hit by a Fire-type attack, it will be defrosted and take damage without boosting Flash Fire. The power boost granted by Flash Fire is lost upon switching out.

Tension: Prevents opponent from eating their berry.

Moves: (bolded moves take note)

Level Up:
Lv1: Thunder Fang
Lv1: Leer
Lv1: Ember
Lv1: Howl
Lv1: Smog
Lv4: Howl
Lv8: Smog
Lv13: Roar
Lv16: Bite
Lv20: Odor Sleuth
Lv26: Beat Up
Lv30: Fire Fang
Lv35: Faint Attack
Lv41: Embargo
Lv45: [M492] (Trickery)
Lv50: Flamethrower
Lv56: Crunch
Lv60: Nasty Plot
Lv65: [M517] (Purgatory)

TM/HM:
TM05 - Roar
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - Taunt
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solar Beam
TM27 - Return
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM32 - Double Team
TM35 - Flamethower
TM36 - Sludge Bomb
TM38 - Fire Blast
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade
TM43 - Nitro Charge
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM48 - Troll
TM50 - Overheat
TM59 - Complete Burn
TM61 - Will-O-Wisp
TM63 - Embargo
TM66 - Payback
TM67 - Get Even
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
TM94 - Rock Smash
TM95 - Back Out
HM04 - Strength

Egg:
Fire Spin
Rage
Pursuit
Counter
Spite
Reversal
Beat Up
Fire Fang
Thunder Fang
Nasty Plot
Punishment
Feint
Sucker Punch

Gen IV/3 Exclusive Notables:
TM 79 Dark Pulse
Egg Move Heat Wave
FR/LG/E Tutor Double Edge

New Move Info:
Trickery: Physical, Dark, <!-- BODY,DIV,TABLE,THEAD,TBODY,TFOOT,TR,TH,TD,P { font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;; font-size:x-small } -->PP: 15, BP: 95, Acc: 100
The Higher the target's Atk stat, the more damage this attack does.

Purgatory: Special, Fire, PP: 5, BP: 100, Acc: 50
100% chance to burn opponent.

Nitro Charge: Physical, Fire, PP: 20, BP: 50, Acc: 100
User's speed increases.

Get Even: Physical, Normal, PP: 5, BP: 70, Acc: 100
Damage increased if ally was knocked out last turn.

Pros: Both of Houndoom's attack stats are pretty decent. He has decent type coverage as far as STAB goes. One interesting thing about this gen is that Houndoom is possibly the perfect counter to Shanderaa. Partner Houndoom with a fast U-turner, Volt Changer, or Baton Passer, and bring him in on a fire type attack, or just bring him in as a revenge killer. STAB Pursuit should easily take care of it if it chooses to flee. If you anticipate it staying, you still have STAB Crunch, and out speed it.

Cons: Houndoom is frail. 75/50/80 is pretty bad, and on top of that you are looking at weaknesses to 4 of the most common attack types in the game. He also has fairly low speed for this gen.

Other Notes: Houndoom had a somewhat shallow special pool last gen, though there is slight improvement now. I want to comment on his Tension ability, but I don't know enough about berries in competitive play. Help would be appreciated.

Move sets:
Revenge/Switch Killer
Houndoom @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Adamant, Flash Fire
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Pursuit
Flare Blitz
Crunch
Get Even

Either bring him in on a predicted fire attack, or as a revenge killer. Fairly basic beyond that.

Punisher
Flash Fire @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Adamant
252 Atk, 4 HP, 252 Spe

Swagger
Punishment/trickery
Pursuit
Nitro Charge/ Flare Blitz

Bring in Houndoom, and Swagger the opponent. Your now looking at a base 100 Punishment, or powered up trickery. Pursue switchers, Use the fire move for any of those pesky steels.

Spec Scarf
Flash Fire @ Choice Specs/Scarf
Timid/Modest
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP

Dark Pulse
Overheat/Fire Blast/ Flamethrower/Purgatory
HP (Fight/Ice/Grass)/Solar Beam/ Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball
HP (Fight/Ice/Grass)/Solar Beam/ Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball

A Special attack set. Pick to be faster or stronger. The filler moves depends on what you need to cover. If Houndoom is in a Sunny team, then Solar Beam is a solid pick.

Edited with notable moves of past gens.

Why aren't you using Dark Pulse on the Choice set? Houndoom gets STAB on it and it has the same Base Power as Shadow Ball.

I really like your observation about it countering Shanderaa. With all the craze about how good shandy is, this is certainly welcome....

However, because it's been confirmed the opponent will now see your pokemon before the match, they will KNOW you're packing it and might hesitate on shooting off fire attacks, opting instead for HP fighting on the predict. But that's all just theorymoning anyways. I just bring it up cause it's so common for ghosts to have HP fighting considering the coverage and etc.

However, because it's been confirmed the opponent will now see your pokemon before the match, they will KNOW you're packing it and might hesitate on shooting off fire attacks, opting instead for HP fighting on the predict. But that's all just theorymoning anyways. I just bring it up cause it's so common for ghosts to have HP fighting considering the coverage and etc.
From what I read, that is only for the Random battles, which is 3 Vs 3. Friend code, Wireless, and likely SB 2 will all keep teams hidden.

Pure- Physical Houndoom is not very good; the only two physical attacks he should be using are Sucker Punch and Pursuit. That being said, I think Nasty Plot+Sucker Punch will still be the standard set, with some Mixed still lurking to, like you said, counter Shanderra (although Tyranitar is better at that imo).
And that Swagger set is so gimmicky.....

The Swagger set is gimmicky, you can't resist the gimmick!!! In all seriousness I doubt Houndoom will go beyond UU. His 2 main advantages are scaring away the new shadow taggers, and switching into fire attacks. Tyranitar can be pretty scary, but as someone mentioned Shanderaa is likely to be packing HP Fighting, and can out speed him.

IF (really big if) for some reason you do get to see your opponent's Pokemon in a regular battle, Houndoom's mere presence will always keep your opponent tense and hesitant to switch Shanderra in, in fear that you'll predict and proceed to wreck it.

Houndoom has one of the highest attack of all Nasty Plotters, even still. It definitely deserves a mention, regardless of what tier he ends up in.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pure- Physical Houndoom is not very good; the only two physical attacks he should be using are Sucker Punch and Pursuit. That being said, I think Nasty Plot+Sucker Punch will still be the standard set, with some Mixed still lurking to, like you said, counter Shanderra (although Tyranitar is better at that imo).
And that Swagger set is so gimmicky.....
I'm agreeing with this statement; even with the perks that Generation 5 has brought Houndoom, I think that its greatest potential lies in its mixed nasty plot set.

I love Houndoom so I was disappointed to find he got virtually nothing significant this generation. Pretty sure I'll still be using the set I have been for the forth gen, unless it proves to totally fail this time around:

Houndoom @ Dread Plate
Mild / Flash Fire
4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPA
Sucker Punch
Pursuit / Super Fang
Fire Blast
Dark Pulse

His Dream World ability is pants, and the only interesting new move is Purgatory, but effectively being a fire Zap Cannon it's pretty gimmicky.

I was thinking about a build that would have him switch in on something he easily threatens, or a fire attack.

Houndoom @ Salac/Life Orb
Modest / Flash Fire
Nasty Plot
Substitute / Pursuit
Fire attack (take your pick)
Dark Pulse

You could run either Sub with Salac, or Pursuit with LO. The main reason for LO is that I don't expect him to stay standing anyways.

I'm troubled that the only way to use Dark Pulse on him is to transfer one over from Gen 4... unless it's added back into his move pool in the 3rd game, this really sucks for him, as it limits you in breeding new ones in BW.

I am a Houndoom so.. I always have one on most of my teams anyway. Nothing surprising going against me. But I'd prefer my Flash Fire.

FlameThrower/Fire Blast
Dark Pulse
HP-Grass
-Filler

Those are the attacks I like, But EV's are on personal use.

I love Houndoom so I was disappointed to find he got virtually nothing significant this generation. Pretty sure I'll still be using the set I have been for the forth gen, unless it proves to totally fail this time around:

Houndoom @ Dread Plate
Mild / Flash Fire
4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPA
Sucker Punch
Pursuit / Super Fang
Fire Blast
Darkpluse
I think replacing darkpulse for something else would be much smarter since you already have pursuit and suckerpunch. Taunt, substitute, hp fighting/ground are a few options but it all depends on the role you want for it.

i totally hate the fact that trollfreak didnt give houndoom Cheer Up !! i hope they fix this crap for pokemon gray or wathever it is that´s coming, since Houndoom is such a good mix UU pokemon.

Houndoom won't be using Tension, and it certainly won't like losing Dark Pulse (WHY is that not a TM anymore? It's the ONLY Special Dark move apart from Zoroark's Night Burst), so it looks like we'll just transfer him over anyway. All in all, he does look like he'll make a good Shandy counter as it is Immune to Flamethrower with Flash Fire, resists Energy ball and Shadow ball, and immune to Psychic, which are THE only notable attack moves Shanderaa gets outside of hidden power.

Houndoom is the king of Shanderaa counters, thats all really needs saying since that alone gives him the biggest niche in the game. Shanderaa doesn't have a single set which can take on Houndoom and in that sense he doesn't need anything new.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
King of Shandera counters says a lot actually. He does extremely well with my Shed Shell Foretress on my sunny day team. Kills the candle and then some.

Unfortunately, he's not the fastest guy out there and technician breloom and roobushin make his life hell.

Houndoom is the king of Shanderaa counters, thats all really needs saying since that alone gives him the biggest niche in the game. Shanderaa doesn't have a single set which can take on Houndoom and in that sense he doesn't need anything new.
Snorlax cries.

Anyway, Houndoom does get a niche on the metagame, being the only ark/Fire poke out there brings some key resistances.
I always liked this poke, and Sun support makes it "easier" to use too.

Cooky

Banned deucer.
You're missing his infamous mixed Nasty Plot set, by far his most effective set due to its high power and STAB LO Sucker Punch.

Houndoom @ Life Orb
~Nasty Plot
~Fire Blast
~Dark Pulse
~Sucker Punch
Hasty
Flash Fire
100 Atk / 184 SpA / 224 Spe

The speed is there to outrun +ve natured Rotom, the attack guarantees an OHKO on Dugtrio after Stealth Rock with Sucker Punch, and the remaining EVs are shunted into SpA to help it hit harder. For a measure of its power, a Flash Fire boosted +2 Fire Blast 2HKOs Blissey with SR. I can't remember who popularised this set last gen, it was probably Heysup, but it can be damn effective.

I really like the idea of having a bug use Butterfly Dance, then baton passing to Houndoom on an incoming fire attack. Anyone tried this?

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I think Venomoth can do that, but you have to keep in mind Houndoom can Nasty Plot himself. And furthermore, Venomoth doesn't resist Earthquake, a move Houndoom doesn't appreciate. The other Butterfly Dance passers are a bit meh.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Even if Houndoom's Speed isn't too up to the standards, he might do a fine job anyways amongst the ranks of slightly "slower" Pokemon, so he shouldn't be too pushed away yet. I do like his Special Stats, alongside a nice Attack that doesn't make him immediate death fodder in the faces of Espeon and friends.

Also, the OP post's sets don't look very...promising.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)