How Did You Get Interested in Anime?

Ahhh, Casshern. The anime precursor to The Matrix. I only remember the OVA in the 90's, though... the series itself was a bit before my time. Haven't heard of City Hunter, although after checking out Wikipedia, I might need to pick that up.

Mars is another one that seems to have slipped through the cracks, even though the tail end of it was well into the late nineties.

Yay Casshan!!! One of my best friends loved Casshan so much it became her nickname which I call her to this day. Another good oldschool movie was Venus Wars.

Also, Claddagh, you get props for your username. Irish power! =D

Like most people it seems by watching Toonami for Dragonball Z and later Dragonball and then liking other shows on it like Gundam Wing and G Gundam, YuYu Hakusho, Outlaw Star, Sailor Moon (though I wouldn't admit it at the time) and Cowboy Bebop. When I was in 10th grade (I just finished my first year of college this year) I would watch the anime that was on Adult Swim like Cowboy Bebop still, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Trigun FLCL, Full Metal Alchemist and Shin-chan. I watched some Naruto and really got obsessed at one point to where I read all the manga, ok I still keep up to date but one a week it's not much effort on my part. Now like 3 or so years later I felt like rewatching some of my favorites like Gundam Wing, G Gundam and Cowboy Bebop as well as some newer stuff like Lucky Star and I started Code Geass oh and I recently downloaded the original Gundam series and have been watching that. Oh and I forgot to mention that at one point I saw that some channel like AMC had a Miyazaki marathan on and since I had heard good things about his movies I watched that and have watched more since then. My favorites being Nausicaa and Castle of Cagliostro. My favorite animes are Neon Genesis Evangelion with Cowboy Bebop as a very close second. I tend to really only watch anime in the summer now. I still conceal my power level in real life and I guess I don't have much else to do from like 1 to 4 in the morning which I have gotten in a bad habit of going to sleep then.

I used to love some of the kids animes early in the morning on Cheese TV. I've grown out of most of them now though, and I don't really like most anime I've seen...

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
From what I can vaguely remember, it started off with Pokemon. I religiously watched new episodes every saturday morning. Soon after the first season and half way through the second season, I grew tired of it and became interested in Yu-Gi-Oh instead. My interest for the anime maintained throughout its long run; I watched every episode and then went onto Yu-Gi-Oh GX, until the end of the second season.

Amongst these, Duel Monsters and the obligatory DBZ craze was existant. I eventually stopped watching DM once I quit the TCG. Luckily I caught the second ever episode from the DBZ franchise on my first view, and it had me hooked from there on then; again, it was another anime where I watched every episode. I've also seen the vast majority of BeyBlade (yes, really) episodes.

Coincidentally, my favourite character from each of these animes happened to be very similar in appearence, attitude and strength: Vegeta, Kaiba, Kai and Kokujo. I can't say that I have ever grown on any of the Pokemon characters.

I don't watch anime now.

I used to watch Ronin Warriors, Pokemon, Digimon, Beyblade, Dragon Ball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh, all of those shows without knowing that they were actually anime. Then once people started jumping on the Naruto/Inuyasha bandwagon, I started detesting anime. Then, I became interested in manga through people I knew from CAP, and if I liked the manga enough, I went to go see the anime.

Well, my obsession began with Sailor moon and Dragon ball Z, when I was five years old. I'd watch it at my nana's house, on weekdays, on Toonami. Then, my anime obsession began to expand, as I got my first pokemon game, and began to watch pokemon as well, to see what the pokemon actually sounded like, while I played pokemon Sapphire. then, I kind of got into Yu-gi-oh!, but, that didn't last long, and then, as I got older, Naruto, and the japanese versions of these shows (mostly Sailor moon), began to enter my life, and, I'm now an anime nerd. Thoough, I'd still love to see Sailor moon Stars dubbed...we've seen all four seasons of Sailor Moon, why not just air the final season? Even if it has to be on Adult Swim, I'd still watch it. But, back on topic, that's my timeline of anime obsession.

Well, my obsession began with Sailor moon and Dragon ball Z, when I was five years old. I'd watch it at my nana's house, on weekdays, on Toonami. Then, my anime obsession began to expand, as I got my first pokemon game, and began to watch pokemon as well, to see what the pokemon actually sounded like, while I played pokemon Sapphire. then, I kind of got into Yu-gi-oh!, but, that didn't last long, and then, as I got older, Naruto, and the japanese versions of these shows (mostly Sailor moon), began to enter my life, and, I'm now an anime nerd. Thoough, I'd still love to see Sailor moon Stars dubbed...we've seen all four seasons of Sailor Moon, why not just air the final season? Even if it has to be on Adult Swim, I'd still watch it. But, back on topic, that's my timeline of anime obsession.
Good call, I miss Sailor Moon very much.

The first anime I've ever watched was Dragon Ball, when I was about 6 or 7, I forgot that. A year later, Dragon Ball Z started on German television, and I almost never missed an episode. I just couldn't get enough of it back then. Oddly, though, I disliked all the other animes, including Pokémon. Especially Pokémon. I was a big fan of the games at that time, yes, but I've never really felt addicted to the TV series.

Then shortly before my 12th birthday, I completely lost interest in anime. I had watched all the DBZ episodes, some of them multiple times and there was nothing else that I really liked. Besides, I had got a feeling that I was becoming too old for that kind of stuff, so I simply decided to stop watching them. Now, the only cartoon I watch comes from the USA, namely The Simpsons.

Well after Pokemon I got hooked on Inuyasha, Yugioh, Prince of tennis, Zatch bell, and Naruto. Thats pretty much it. I also read all their manga counterparts.

Well after Pokemon I got hooked on Inuyasha, Yugioh, Prince of tennis, Zatch bell, and Naruto. Thats pretty much it. I also read all their manga counterparts.

LoL well the Naruto one is obvious. I'm looking for new animes to get into, hopefully Otakon this weekend will help me out with that.

My brother was really into Dragonball Z, and being 8 years younger, he was my role model. I would watch DBZ with him (Dub/Subs/read the manga) all the time.

Soon, Cartoon Network started banking of animes like Gundam W, Yu Yu Hakusho, and stuff and I became huge fans, not to mention pokemon was going crazy when I was like 6-7 years old. Also, I've been watching Hayao Miyazaki movies since I was 7 (Mononoko gave me nightmares) and that played a roll as well.

Recently I got into Naruto, but when I ran out of episodes, I ended up finding onemanga.com and reading all of it. That led to reading Bleach, Death Note, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Eyeshield 21. That led to watching things like Code Geass.

Right now, I'm currently reading 3 ongoing series in Naruto, Bleach, and Bakuman (romance lol). I'm also partially through Cowboy Bebop.

Back in the day, I watched all that DBZ, Gundam, Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star, Ronin Warriors, and all those other anime series on Toonami, along with the Pokemon anime on Kids WB. From there, I ended up getting into my first manga series, Rurouni Kenshin, and then got ended up getting into anime for a bit, watching stuff like Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist (the original anime series at the time), and Code Geass.

Nowadays though, I don't really watch much anime. I'm much more of a manga person and do keep track on quite a few different series (which currently includes Naruto, One Piece, Bakuman, Fairy Tail, Gash Bell, FMA, Soul Eater, Detective Conan, and Shaman King, along with a few others).

I got into Anime back when DBZ was on Toonami. I really never watched some of the other animes on Toonami. About a year ago i got into naruto, and not long after that Death Note. I mostly prefer manga to anime though.

My favorite ones were:

DBZ, probably the one that laid the foundation. I couldn't wait for Saturdays as a ten year old.

Pokemon was awesome. I don't even think I watched any of the episodes in order if that even matters.

Yugioh was crazy and I was crazy about yugioh cards. I used to buy decks and packs and opening them was so much fun.

One piece is great but no new episodes in America any more. I hardly read the manga.

Naruto is my favorite right now. If anyone here reads it or watches it, knows what my avatar is. I can't wait for the next manga issue.

Childhood is a beautiful thing. Enjoy it while you can.

When I was younger I loved: Sailor moon, Pokemon, Dragonball Z, Inuyasha, Yu-Gi-Oh, and a couple of others I can't remember XD. Now, I like naruto (if it ever comes back on >_<) and probably a few more I can't remember atm XD. I never read any comic books or anything like that. I was just a TV junkie.

My favorite anime series

Inuyahsa, was great and watched all the episodes

Full metal alchemist, same as inuyasha ^

Bleach, is ok lost interest in it dont watch it that much anymore

Naruto is the best anime ever! ( sucks CN got rid of it but rumors are its coming back soon )

i hated the episodes of pokemon they are so stupid because ash always wins and it will be a pikachu against a rhyperior or something and pikachu will still win, and the stupid pokemon would only say their name it was just all stupid but the game is great apperently

okay, here's a list of most of anime and manga i've either a) finished, or b) am up to date with:

3x3 eye
666 satan
addicted to curry
aflame inferno
aiki
air
air gear
angel sanctuary
angelic layer
bartender
basilisk
bastard!!
beach stars
beck
beelzebub
bishoujo senshi sailor moon
black cat
black lagoon
blazer drive
blood +
blue seed
blue submarine number 6
boogiepop (all of it)
burst angel
cardcaptor sakura
change 123
city hunter
comic party
d.gray-man
the daichis
deadman wonderland
dna^2
doujin work
e's
eden (not cage of eden)
elfin lied
fairy tail
flame of recca
flcl
freezing
full metal alchemist
full metal panic (all the series)
gantz
gash bell (zatch bell)
get backers
ghost stories
ghost hunter
gto
hajime no ippo
hand x red
hellsing
highschool of the dead
historys strongest discipline
historys strongest discipline kenichi (they are 2 different series)
hokuto no ken (just the original series, not all the spin-offs)
holy land
hunter x hunter
kodocha
kodomo no jikan
kuro kami
kyo kara mao
law of ueki (haven't read plus yet)
love hina
loveless
mahou sensei negima (just the original)
MAR (not omega)
martian successor nadesico
melty blood
nana
naruto
negative happy chainsaw edge
no bra
nurarihyon no mago
onihime vs.
p.k.
pandora hearts
parasyte
psyren
psycho buster
rave
record of lotus war
saint seiya
saiyuki
saiyuki-reload
saiyuki-gaiden
shaman king
slam dunk
soul eater
soul taker
spice and wolf
spiral
spiral-alive
suicide island
tenjou tenge
trigun
trinity blood
umi no misaki
vandread
veritas
wind
wolf's rain
yakitatte!! ja-pan
yakuza girl

if you see anything missing from this list that i might like, please recommend it.

I was not all that big on Anime. I watched DBZ a few times, but then it just got annoying. Somebody introduced me to Naruto, but I never took much interest in it.

0_o ferron, that's a HUGE variety of comics for figuring out "what you might like"...

Anyway, Claymore manga is pretty good, it's a fairly dark fantasy series with plenty of fighting and action, but has a very decent storyline as well. Also, Mx0 is an oft-overlooked "high-school" manga.

And why no Rurouni Kenshin or Evangelion on the list? :(

@Lil Fox, only badgebolders can have pictures in their sigs

(PS: if someone knows of a good < 13 ep completed anime not named Kino's Journey, School Days, or Ga-Rei Zero, i'd love to hear it.)

yeah...i kinda read a bit of everything. in fact, i'm a straight guy that teaches a shounen ai for the straight guy panel at nekocon (and hopefully other cons soon)...

which reminds me, i forgot tsukihime, legal drug, kaze to ki no uta, from eroica with love, ai no kusabi, berserk, and yami no matuei. (only 3 shounen ai in that list, and 1 implied shounen ai, its just stuff i forgot)

rurouni kenshin doesn't deserve a mention. it starts great (ova), gets good (end of ova), gets great (beginning of series), gets confusing, goes to crap, gets great for the last battle, then ends shitty. fucking roller coaster series.

eva, i've seen all the series and read the manga, but i've only seen one of he movies (end of eva), so i can't say i'm finished with it yet.

i had started claymore, and i tried to like it, but it just takes a while to get into that manga (i always go manga first).

13 episode series? green green, an INCREDIBLY ecchi series, and the last episode is considered hentai. very funny though.
comic party, comedy about someone trying to start their own manga. it's based on an h-game, but isn't even ecchi (kinda like what happened with tsukihime)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)