How do you interpret the US Constitution?

vonFiedler, I gotta question for you:

What part of Thomas Jefferson's life do you agree with? Before or after he became president? Before he did not believe in implied powers and preferred states rights. He fought vehemously to take down the Bank of the US. Then, he flipped sides for a lot of his ideas when he became president. One reason is the Louisianna Purchase. He was worried about a Constitutional conflict, but decided to go with implied powers that a land purchase was a treaty.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
vonFiedler, I gotta question for you:

What part of Thomas Jefferson's life do you agree with? Before or after he became president? Before he did not believe in implied powers and preferred states rights. He fought vehemously to take down the Bank of the US. Then, he flipped sides for a lot of his ideas when he became president. One reason is the Louisianna Purchase. He was worried about a Constitutional conflict, but decided to go with implied powers that a land purchase was a treaty.
If I had to be honest, I'd say before he became president. I don't think he was a bad president, I certainly can't fault him for the Louisiana Purchase (having been born far west of the original colonies).

Like I said, if you want a document that states what is right and just by American standards, the Constitution is a poor source but the Declaration of Independence is a great one.

The Constitution was written by intolerant, narrow-minded, elitist racists.

It would make sense to actively amend it as our society progresses further and becomes more and more liberal-minded.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hah, I would wipe my ass with the constitution. Its just another piece of paper restricting what I can and do. Im gonna go out there and live off the land, learn to be one with nature, and not be a target of emulative society.
Thanks for giving us your ignorant, completely uninformed opinion. You made us all painfully aware that you know absolutely fuckall about the American Constitution. Lesson number #1: the only thing the Constitution restricts is the government. The whole point of the everloving document is to make sure the citizens rights are NOT impeded. I have to tell you, I almost broke my self-induced exile a couple weeks ago just to yell at your dumb ass.

That said, I find myself agreeing with Justice Thomas more often than not (making me a fan of strict interpretation). Also, I am of the opinion that not one person in this country properly knows the English language, because the placement of the commas in the Second Amendment lend to a completely different interpretation than the one we currently live under.

It would make sense to actively amend it as our society progresses further and becomes more and more liberal-minded.
What about the Republicans (aka: half the country) do you see as progressive or liberal-minded?

Wow that's some extreme counter-culture disillusionment right there, isn't America one of the few countries that idolizes their founding fathers?
What's this about liberals? Is he suggesting that the founding fathers were conservatively minded by our standards based on the fact that they owned land and some had slaves?

never vote please, you're the kind of person that doesn't read the ballot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)