How do you switch into T-Bolt/T-Wave?

There are a few things you can do if Thunder Wave is a major annoyance. I recommend having a status absorber in general, but if your team has a Gyrardos, you will need something that is immune to the inevitable electric attacks people will use to counter it.

Electric Absorbers. This has been pretty much covered with Jolteon or ground types. I prefer Choice Specs Jolteon (although I don't use baton pass on mine) over anything else. You do get walled by Blissey but she's set-up fodder for a different physical sweeper if you build your team correctly. You could also use Lanturn or Electivire to absorb these attacks, but Jolteon is by far the best.

As far as absorbing status in general goes, there are a few other things you can do.

1. Natural Cure -- a few pokemon, most noteably Blissey, Starmie, and Celebi, have the ability to heal from status when they switch out. Just switch in on the predicted status move, and switch out, and you're all healed up. This is less effective than other methods, though.

2. Use a Cleric -- Aromatherapy Blissey, Heal Bell on your Miltank, Dragonite, Celebi, or anyone else can heal your whole team from any status.

3. Refresh/Safeguard -- the addition of Latias to OU provides you with a couple of great options. You can put refresh on Latias, and swith in on status inflictors, refresh, and set up. You can also use safeguard as a preventative measure to protect your whole team from status. Other pokemon like Dragonite get these moves also.

4. Taunt -- Putting taunt on a set-up sweeper like Gyrardos or a baton passer like Gliscor makes it impossible for your opponent to status you.

5. Substitute -- If you're faster, you sub, and you block status as long as your sub is up. If you're lower, you can use the lum berry to block the 1st attempt at status and sub up, blocking further attemps.

6. Lum Berry -- The lum berry is a 1 time use item that will cure any status inflicted. Pretty self-explanitory.

7. Rest/Sleep Talk: Often Called Rest/Talkers, generally bulky pokemon with the moves rest and sleep talk (like Suicune) can use rest to eliminate status inflicted on them.

I use Lanturn...big surprise there.

Lanturn actually serves a lot of use outside of absorbing Electric attacks I've found, partially because of how underestimated it is. Also, Lanturn is a lot more useable now than in early DP, now that Blissey has fallen quite a bit in usage and Garchomp is Uber. I use the following set:

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Stockpile

The usefulness of this set stems from how much a punch it packs, which no one ever expects. Hydro Pump OHKOs Heatran, 2HKOs most Tyranitar, things which completely catch opponents off guard. Obviously you can catch things like an incoming Gyarados, Salamence, or Infernape on the switch in with your SE moves, but this is where Stockpile comes in. If you Stockpile on the switch, you can eat an EQ and still survive with a little under half your health left, which you can easily make back later on by switching into an Electric attack.

This is just to show that Lanturn CAN be something other than a deadweight on your team besides walling electric attacks and bulky waters.

Two Pokemon which really piss Lanturn off are Celebi and Zapdos (and Blissey of course) because Ice Beam does just under 50% on average. I've actually considered using a Specs set to deal with them.

Give Lanturn a try, and I'm sure you'll be surprised how useful he can be in Platinum. Quad Steel resistance is certainly nothing to pass up in today's metagame.

I have Latias, Dugtrio, and Hyper-Defensive CBTar on my team, so SpecsJolt/other Specsed Electrics aren't too problematic. As previously mentioned, Latias is great at absorbing any electric attacks not named T-Wave. If I can get Duggy in on a Choiced Electric attack it's homefree too.

heracross fears togekiss air slash, heat wave from zapdos, and tbh, he is hurt by specs thunderbolt very badly as well. And even though it activates guts, i would rather have my big physical sweeper at full speed, meaning i would never switch in on thunder wave.

heracross fears togekiss air slash, heat wave from zapdos, and tbh, he is hurt by specs thunderbolt very badly as well. And even though it activates guts, i would rather have my big physical sweeper at full speed, meaning i would never switch in on thunder wave.
Unless you were caught off-guard and didn't expect the pokemon to pack thunder wave.

Shaymin Land Forme doesn't look too bad as a Thunder Wave / Thunderbolt absorber, or as a status absorber in general. Natural Cure means he just switches out and *poof* he is healed. Aromatherapy would help with those stricken teamates that already have been statused.

I personally like Swampert to take Electric attacks (except from Zapdos or Jolteon, who often carry HP Grass.) Other than that, Rest-Talk Guts Machamp would be a menace. He doesn't care about being paralyzed because he is going to be a little bit slow, and he can hit back. Hard. A Guts boosted Cross Chop or Stone Edge would take a lot of the metagame out, and with Rest to provide recovery, he maintains the Guts boost and erases a hindering status.

There are a plethora of other Pokemon that can absorb T-waves and Electric attacks other than Ground types and those with good abilities, but these are the best, in my opinion.

Flygon is generally my first choice, but not my only choice. Mixed Hustle Togekiss doesn't mind too much being paralyzed (as it mostly uses ExtremeSpeed) and can 2HKO Blissey and Zapdos with said ExtremeSpeed. My Heatran is a lead/support set who will generally beat Zapdos in a 1-on-1 fight (heavy special defense investment, Will-o-Wisp to burn it and Magma storm to lock it in, then hit it with Earth Power on the Roost) and can always deal with Celebi. My Vaporeon also doesn't mind being Paralyzed, at least it keeps her from being Toxic'ed later. However, Vaporeon and Heatran can't do much to Blissey. Generally if Blissey is up I send in Flygon to absorb the T-Wave, then U-turn to either scout the switch or see that Blissey is staying in (in which case I can send in Tyranitar to laugh off the Ice Beam and scare Blissey off, setting up a Dragon Dance in the process).

For UU:

Steelix: The #1 candidate for switching in, even Thunder Wave from Delcatty won't mind this guy. Coming in the most strongest thunderbolt user in UU, Raikou and counters Raikou also, Steelix is your best bet. Coming in on Thunder Waves is good also, which gives you a chance to lay down your SR.

Shaymin/Roserade
: Resisting thunderbolt and fending off Thunder Wave because of Natural Cure is probably your best bet with these guys.

Torterra: Another one, it usually comes in on Thunder Waves rather than Thunderbolt (usually paired with HP [Ice] ) it could come in SpecsThunderbolt though, and is usually used to set up Rock Polish.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The answer is a lot simpler than you make it out to be. It's an "SDS's Sig" dillema you're presenting. No Pokémon in the game can carry and use every attack in its arsenal at the same time, and you should stop assuming that when looking for checks. In almost all of these cases you're assuming the worst case scenario when that almost never happens.

Ground types are great switch-ins to Thunderbolt and Thunder Wave, as are things with good Special Defense or slow shit that doesn't mind paralysis. I usually use Flygon to take Electric hits on resistance teams.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
I tend to use CursePert or rhyperior, although Flygon has been growing on me lately. When using cursePert though i tend to use 2 pokemon that help it sweep, CBTar to take random Choiced Tricks and Pursuit, and Life Orb Signal Beam Starmie to KO Celebi with any prior damage. Just some 2 cents

Rhyperior makes a damn good switch into most of the things you mentioned, and can easily setup on most of them too, except HP Grass Zapdos/Celebi. Pory2 can hurt him with Ice Beam, but he outspeeds and hurts with EQ. Most of them are easily setup on too, setup a substitute and SD/RP away

OU has evolved to the point where electric is actually extremely useful. That said, Blissey, Jolteon, and surprisingly Claydol can handle most of the threats you suggested, outside of Blissey itself. The other option is to use a tank like Snorlax or something with Rest that couldn't give a damn less about paralysis.

I use either my Cresselia or Blissey to absorb them for now, though hopefully I can breed a good Lanturn soon. . .

Ever since Garchomp was placed in Uber, I feel that ground types are kinda taking a drop in usage. Sure Gliscor and Dugtrio are still used often enough, but seriously, how many Ground Types do you actually see in OU these days. I may be wrong and I'm not getting the battles on the Smogon ladder which goes against my argument. Ok I tell a lie, I do see Swampert a lot, and that does a fantastic job of taking the Twave or Tbolt.

Personally, I feel that the best way to take any sort of Electric move, is to Absorb it. Jolteon does this best, but we don't want to stick Jolteon on our team just for that purpose. So we also have Natural Curers (Blissey and Celebi especially). P2 that traces Natural Cure also works (as said above). Bronzong is one of those pokemon that dearly love to get parahaxed. You give it enough EVs in attack, and while paralysed, it can 2hko Blissey, obvious flaw is that Blissey can Softboil, but Zong can take a Twave nicely and use it to its advantage.

Latias, or anything with Psycho Shift can also use being paralysed to it's advantage. Also resisting electric type attacks help also. Ursaring would probably also benefit being paralysed than Toxic'd by it's own Toxic Orb, because the paralysis does not affect Ursa and will still gain x1.5 Speed.

As long as you have something Bulky, and something that resists electric, and can status absorb, Electric Attacks can appear to be less effective than it needs to be.

Synchronize users with Lum Berries are great for the one-offs. Gardevoir doesn't mind Paralysis too much, and can also use Will-O-Wisp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)