Hydroelectric Blackout [Peaked #2]

Before the RMT:

This team was very succesful, but ShellPass is a very overpowered strategy, Garchomp is too luck based for the current Meta even though this particular team doesnt use Garchomp for that purpose. I would like to inform all readers that in round 4 I will be voting to ban ShellPass and Garchomp. This team is a prime example as to why ShellPass needs to be banned. This is a retirement of this team unless by some slim chance both ShellPass and Garchomp (umm no...), make it out of the voting.

Shell Pass:
This team was created by Me and Xtrashine who did quite well on the Smogon Ladder. There isn't really much to say about it as that will be done later. Recently I stopped using this team as I was no longer having fun with it. Xtrashine Peaked at #2 with 1570 Points and I peaked at #7 with 1539 Points. Now on with the show!

A Quick Look

Further analysis:

Espeon
@Light Clay
Nature: Timid
Ability: Magic Bounce
Evs: 196 HP, 60 SpAtk, 252 Speed

Moveset:
-Psychic
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Reflect
-Light Screen

Analysis:

Espeon while not 100% necessary for this team to be effective, is probably the reason that this team is able to get most sweeps off. Between Reflect and Light Screen, all direct attacks to my team are halved. It prevents Stealth Rock from getting up due to Magic Bounce, while also preventing Status to itself. While the loss of the lead position is almost dead, Sand Storm Teams or other Shell Smash teams are the only times that I tend to change the lead, Breloom for Sand Storm, and for Shell Smash the lead is changed respectively to give myself the most apparent advantage available.

Reflect and Light Screen are obvious, and through the use of Light Clay stay around for quite a long time, which can sometimes feel like an eternity for my opponent. Psychic was placed for STAB and over Psyshock to more effectively handle Conkeldurr. Hidden Power [Ice] was chosen just as filler initially, but really has become very crucial, without it Landorus can gain quite an advantage against this team, and due to the abundance of Hidden Power [Fire/Fighting] Espeons out there, Landorus is quickly disposed of. It also helps hit Lati@s, and due to the teams weakness to Dragons, OHKO’s Salamence, and will KO Multiscale Dragonite after it has taken some residual damage

The Evs are fairly simple, Speed has been maxed to get the jump on Virizion, Cobalion, Terrakion, and Infernape, as well as allowing for a speed tie against Lati@s. The HP Evs land me at 321 HP, for general bulk. The Special Attack Evs give me enough Special Attack to ensure an OHKO on 252HP/0SpDef Gliscor.

Gorebyss
@White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
Evs: 116 HP, 160 SpAtk, 232 Speed

Moveset:
-Shell Smash
-Baton Pass
-Surf
-Hidden Power [Electric]

Analysis:

Gorebyss, a Pokemon who was boosted immensely in Gen V. Its ability to boost any Pokemon on my teams Offensive stats to incredible levels was the reason this team was built around it. Strangely however as I ventured further up the ladder it has become less and less the reason I win games but rather a valuable player in the team. Many teams after a Shell Pass, are entirely decimated. But as I rose in the ranks, players were more aware of Gorebyss and made sure to stop it, now Gorebyss did not become useless. It eventually gets one Shell Smash off and can generally pass, if not Gorebyss is well in range to dent my opponent on its own, or with so many players focusing on it, give me a nice switch in for one of my other sweepers. Reflect and Light Screen also give me the defenses to do this and between the points of 1200-1300 caused many a rage quit.

Shell Smash and Baton Pass are rather obvious, and with White Herb restoring my defensive stats to normal, its only positive from there. Surf is here for obvious STAB and to deal damage if there isn’t a reliable beneficiary of the boosts at the time. Scald has been considered but due to the team’s offensive focus, Surf has seemed more reliable. Hidden Power [Electric] is not generally the move used here, as many try to use Substitute or Ice Beam. I originally had Ice Beam but noticed my team was weak to RestTalk Gyara who could easily phaze me out. This change initially scared me until I realized the rest of my team is well equipped to deal with Lati@s and Celebi who could otherwise cause problems.

The Speed Evs: were first of all meant to outpace Scarfed positive natured base 80 Speed Pokemon after a Shell Smash. I originally was going to go with the standard spread, but then changed. I went with 160 SpAtk Evs to Ensure a 2HKO on 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Skarmory without a Shell Smash due to the Sturdy which would allow Skarm to just phaze me out. The rest was then added to Hto ensure bulk.

Garchomp
@Lum Berry
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sand Veil
Evs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed

Moveset:
-Swords Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang

Analysis:

Garchomp was the first of the sweepers I chose to use on this team. Originally I wanted to use a Yache or Haban Chomp with Dragon Claw, but the raw power of Outrage and already having screens easily dulled the original two sets out. After Shell Smash is passed there is almost no pokemon that can outpace and take down Garchomp (until the day people start running Choice Scarf Deoxys-S :P). With Swords Dance here as well pokemon who cant do anything to chomp give me just another boost to my attack. However Shell Passing is not necessary. Garchomp alone is able to decimate the majority of Stall teams and with Screens up is a huge threat to any team hoping to outspeed and OHKO Garchomp. While Lum Berry is used to stop my confusion after Outrage, but it also comes in handy against Jellicents Will-o-Wisps and Jirachi’s constant Body Slamming.

The first two offensive moves came rather easily, Outrage (with Lum Berry), and Earthquake. I needed a Fire move next, I chose Fire Fang>Fire Blast. Now I realized Shell Smash boosted all offensive stats and that Fire Blast could be of more use, but if Gorebyss couldn’t get a pass off I still needed a way of hitting Bronzong and Skarmory harder so I went with the Bread and Butter SD, Outrage, EQ, Fire Fang, Garchomp.

The Evs are simple, max Speed and Attack and put that very little back into HP for that rare 1HP I need to survive.

Volcarona
@Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Evs: 4 Def, 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed

Moveset:
-Quiver Dance
-Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Hidden Power [Ice]

Analysis:

Volcarona was the second of the main sweepers on this team, at first I was slightly wary, Stealth Rocks gonna kill it! But Espeon somewhat alleviates this with Magic Bounce. Also the team’s offensive nature tends to force teams to deal with this team directly, rather than set up entry hazards. Often times even Stall teams attempt to Directly attack or Simply phaze me out in fear of being swept. With its two stabs Volcarona gets pretty good coverage and with those offensive stats is certainly no slouch. Just ask anyone who wasn’t prepared for one.

Quiver Dance was obvious, I needed a way for Volcarona to boost itself outside of Shell Pass, even after a Shell Smash I can often QD on an opposing pokemon that won’t be able to do much damage to me anyway. Bug Buzz was obvious for its STAB and high power. Next was Fiery Dance VS Flamethrower… in the end Fiery Dance was chosen, it gets so many boosts with it the Power Drop is unnoticeable in the midst of battle. Hidden Power is necessary for Coverage on Volcarona. Hidden Power Rock was used for some time until I came across an incredible weakness to Dragonite, at which point I tested HP Ice and found it to be irreplaceable, Garchomp tends to be a common switch in to Volcarona and with Hidden Power Ice is easily dispatched.

Evs are very standard, Max Special Attack and Speed for Sweeping and place the last in Defenses.

Scizor
@Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
Evs: 196 HP, 252 Atk, 60 Speed​

Moveset:
-Swords Dance
-Bug Bite
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break​

Analysis:​

Scizor became highly valuable after being chosen. It had the only resistance to dragon and had priority which became irreplaceable late game. It became a great counter for Lati@s, Reuniclus, and Scrafty who could otherwise deal strong blows to the team. One weakness in Fire was no problem considering among the first four pokemon I have 3 resistances to Fire and one neutrality. It became useful against Ferrothorn aswell, who I did not want spreading status and setting up hazards, and if my opponent did so, then my Scizor can easily set up and break down my opponent.

First moves chosen were Bug Bite and Bullet Punch, Later I chose Swords Dance and Roost and I felt confident the set would do well. But after time I wished time and time again I could beat Magnezone and Ferrothorn. So I switched Brick Break>Roost and have never looked back.

I used Max attack to do as much damage as possible. Speed came next I needed enough speed so after a Shell Pass I could outspeed Starmie and Scarf Magnezone and these Evs do just that. The Rest was then dropped into HP for bulk.

Breloom

@Toxic Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Poison Heal
Evs: 12 HP, 252 Atk, 244 Speed
Moveset:
-Spore
-Subsitute
-Seed Bomb
-Focus Punch

Analysis:

Breloom was the last pick for this team. It was originally Virizion but Breloom after a Shell Pass was too much to pass up, and had Poison Heal for recovery. Quagsire can be a threat to Shell Pass teams like these due to Unaware, but whether Quagsire is aware or not it has no chance of avoiding Spore or getting OHKO’d by Seed Bomb. It became a great Stall Counter by Decimating the Ferrothron Jellicent combo as well as denting SkarmBliss.

The Moveset is not too Complicated. Spore, Substitute, Focus Punch is Brelooms best set by far. It is a common misconception that I pass to Breloom often and that I should change the moveset. But Breloom is here to take on Stall without the boosts and put other sweepers in sweeping range. The last move would have been a harder decision but in this scenario I needed Seed Bomb for Bulky Waters especially Quagsire.

Evs: These are the standard Breloom Evs and Jolly was Chosen for the ability to Outspeed Standard Jirachi and Tyranitar.

Thanks for reading leave by a comment and rate thank you very very much for reading!

If Breloom is who you want to give the shell smash to wouldn't drain punch over focus punch be a better idea because with focus punch you lose the benefit of the +2 speed.

Focus Punch's extra power is needed if you don't have that +2, and is certainly appreciated with the +2 (since you get to the point where you are OHKOing Skarmory with it).

I'm liking this team, it looks quite impressive. I certainly wouldn't want to see it in Team Preview.

One question, though: Why 40 HP on Breloom? If my understanding of the mechanics are correct, while you do take 1 less damage than you would otherwise from periodic damage, you also gain 1 fewer HP from Poison Heal, right? Personally, I'd drop down to 12 HP so you hit 260 Speed (enough to outspeed all neutral natured Base 80s).

I have a similar team and i run metagross. Many times a shell smash to gross ends the game.

I use

Metagross@Lum Berry
Naive Nature
252 att, 252 spe, 4 def
Earthquake
Ice Punch
Thunder Punch
Grass Knot

The first 3 are standard, but i added in grass knot to hit swampert and quagsire.

You should add a Rapid Spinner on your team so that Volcarona can survive a couple of turns (if Stealth Rock is active, of course). Mmmh... actually, I'm not very sure which pokemon to suggest, but you definately need one. Keep that in mind, at least, when you do the changes on your team (:

I really like it, and I see why you and your friend laddered so high, but I was wondering you would deal with roar/whirlwind pokes. I don't have a damage calc on my phone, but I guess if you could OHKO skarmory with Focus Punch on a switch in it wouldn't be such a big deal, but albeit it is decreasing in usage, there is a calm mind alias set which could give you trouble. Like I said, it is declining in its usage but I was just giving you some thoughts. Really nice team and good luck with it.

Who cares if you OHKO Skarmory with a +2 Focus Punch? Two Drain Punches will kill it too, and give you lots of recovery to boot. There is absolutely no reason to be running Focus Punch on that Breloom.

Teams like this kinda make me seethe, because SmashPassing is such a cheap tactic seeing how counters for it just don't exist outside of Haze (and what gets Haze? Milotic and maybe Crobat as the only viable users?)

In any case, you're using that tactic, the team really doesn't need much help. Get rid of subPunching for Drain Punch and Mach Punch. There's no reason to SubPunch whenever you can just throw hard hits out with Drain Punch and get added recovery. You're already immune to status by virtue of Poison Heal. Mach Punch has the added benefit of acting as another form of priority in case Excadrill poses a problem.

There's nothing else I can really suggest. Enjoy using this team while it lasts.

Thank you for all the rates. Im certainly going to change to Drain Punch>Focus Punch due to all of the sound reasoning ive received for it. I should have mentioned this earlier, but due to my experience in Round 4, I will be voting to ban SmashPass and Garchomp. So this is more of a retirement than anything. Garchomp is too good, and I really used this team to prove that Shell Pass is too good to be legal.

Drain Punch>Focus Punch is the only legitimate recommendation this team needs. I'm glad that you're going to be using your vote to get rid of SmashPass, because it is obviously just way too insane. Nice team, though! Your team is the prime example of how to use this absurdly powerful strategy.

Yeah, I still feel as though Focus Punch is better to some extent because often times I pass to my faster sweepers and Focus Punch loom has gotten me out of many tough situations.

And yeah Xtra, its not the same as it once was, but it works to some extent haha, I used a mix of this and 2 other teams to get myself from the low 1200's back to 1450. If I had only used one team i wouldve lost my mind.

As I said, you really do need Focus Punch if you don't have that +2 Attack/Speed. After playing around with SmashPass a little, I'm kinda doubting whether Breloom is the best choice for the strategy after all. You basically need to choose whether it will be mediocre before or after the Smash, but it simply lacks the moveslots to be great in both situations.

Here are a couple things I'd test on Breloom:

Brick Break over Drain Punch - If you don't need the extra healing that badly, Brick Break is the better move, taking care of otherwise annoying opposing Screens. Your choice, obviously, but it's worth remembering as an option.

Facade over Mach Punch - I still think that Substitute is best for that slot (because without a Substitute up, Skarmory is pretty much guaranteed to stop your sweep cold since you can't OHKO him), but Facade gives you maximum damage against neutral targets. Mach Punch is only especially useful against Excadrill and priority users (of which only Ice Shard has ever felt like a huge concern).

Focus Punch in the end is much more effective, Breloom isnt really used to Sweep as much as Support the team with Sleep and high powered offense until I need to Switch after some battering with it Garchomp would be able to finish off most physicals walls after one SD (Pre-Ban of course).

I realize that Garchomp is banned. I voted for it to be banned in round 4.

@ShadowGengar
Use SeedBomb otherwise Quagsire can wreck the team.

So far Salamence seems to be the best replacement for Garchomp.

Mence is better all of my friends are saying he's better then Chomp with his attack stat and Intimidate. Also i played my friend with a team like yours. Except our leads are diffrent i use Deoxys-S i 6-0'd him i sent in Gorebyss then he switches to Gyrados while i Shell Smash then i HP electric the kill and he switches into Nattorei. I BP to Mence he spikes then i sweep with Mence. Has Espeon been working well? I fear that Espeon's ability is a little to predictable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)