ORAS UU Hyper Offensive + Stall M-Aggron

Hyper Offensive + Stall M-Aggron
|
|
|
|
|

I've fallen in love with the UU metagame a few weeks ago and have spent the majority of my time on Showdown in that room, despite my still present love for Mono and PU. I've climbed to the mid 1300's with the team (no where near amazing but it's brought results). As the title suggests, 5 members of my team are designed for sweeping while my mega's made for stall (bit unorthodox but I can't pass up m-aggron lol).

Flygon @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- U-turn​

My pivot and my lead. I fell in absolute love with Flygon's defensive typing as it's immune to both electric and ground based attacks. Outrage and earthquake are two reliable STABs that knock out most anything that doesn't resist with banded help. Crunch covers ghost and psychic types. Banded u-turn is where flygon solidifies itself on my team for being a reliable pivot.

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 92 HP / 170 Atk / 56 SpD / 190 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake​

Your standard sweeping Gyarados. A perfect revenge killer with Moxie as after a dragon dance and a revenge kill there's little stopping this beast from sweeping through an entire team. Waterfall is the main STAB for gyarados, Ice Fang covers grass and dragon types while also hitting flying super effectively and earthquake covers electric and poison. The main problem Gyarados runs into are water types, who resist all of his moves besides non-stab earthquake. However since they rarely have anything to hit gyarados super effectively with, he'll usually win a 1v1 with his boosts up.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
Toxicroak isn't the strongest mon, but once it gets a SD up + a life orb boost it can hit most things like a sack of bricks. Drain punch and poison jab are it's two main STABs, both with 100% accuracy. SP hits faster mons that otherwise would take advantage of Toxicroak's mediocre 85 base speed. His main niche is a reliable counter to fairy and steel type mons.

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick​

I used to run Yanmega in this spot, and while he's a great mon, I always wanted a fire type to counter grass and a ghost type to take fighting moves. Chandelure fits that role perfectly. Fire Blast and Shadow Ball are its two main STABs that are boosted even higher with specs. On top of that, fire blast can even dent mons that resist it if it can swap into a fire type move, activating flash fire. Energy ball is used to counter water types and trick can neuter opposing stall mons.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Wish​

The newest mon on this team. Shell Smash Cloyster used to fill this spot until I realized how easily it could be countered (with rocks to break sash, a strong attack, and a mach punch). Shaymin then used to fill this role as support, then it went to Celibi, then Sylveon, then Whimsicott, until I finally settled down with Slurpuff. I have always been a huge fan of the 'belly drum aqua jet' set for Azumarill, but adding an Unburden onto Slurpuff gives her not only a +6 in attack, but a +2 in speed that will outspeed most of the unboosted metagame. Her downside is her horrendous physical movepool, but Play Rough is reliable stab while Drain Punch hits steel types and also regains health. Wish is used for additional recovery or as a cleric before setting up.

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Heavy Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 212 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk​

Mega Aggron is, without a doubt, THE best defensive wall in the entire game, not just the meta. His sky high 230 base defense ON TOP OF filter ON TOP OF curse means that no physical move can ever break through him, minus multiple crits in a row. No joke, after a single curse I've had STAB earthquakes do 9% damage. His pre-mega ability Heavy Metal increases the power of Heavy Slam if I predict a swap. Rest/sleep talk allows him to set up, remove status, and (slowly) sweep. Don't get me wrong, he'll be OHKO'd by fire blast and special moves will break through him quickly, but that's why I try to take out all special attackers before I bring him in.

My Thoughts on the Team

I love the diversity the team has, with all mons (minus Slurpuff) being dual-typed and no mon sharing a single type. The thing I absolutely love about this team is that EVERY member is immune to at least one move, meaning that an accurate prediction can not only mean a free swap, but even boosts (such as Toxicroak dry skin or Chandelure's flash fire).

One thing I don't like about the team is that it's all basically cut-paste from the recommended formats from Smogon. That isn't necessarily bad, but I usually like to make at least somewhat unique sets (like 'swords dance weak armor' skarmory or stall escavalier).

Possible Overhaul Changes
  • Flygon: At present, Chandelure is the only special attacker on the team meaning, once he's taken out, a physical wall (such as an opposing M-Aggron) would be unstoppable.I'm thinking of switching Flygon to specs and making him a special attacker with Dragon Pulse, Earth Power, Boomburst, and U-turn. He has 100 base attack and only 80 base SpA, but it may be a good counter to offensive walls (plus Boomburst, while not STAB, is amazing).
Flygon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Boomburst
- U-turn​
  • Gyarados: I've been thinking of turning him into a support set. While this sounds crazy, as he's the mon that sweeps most often for me, it may bring some diversity to my otherwise pure offensive (+ 1 stall) team. Coupling him with intimidate and moves such as taunt, toxic, and whirlpool could make him into a surprise trapper.
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Gentle Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic/T-wave
- Whirlpool
- Waterfall
  • Toxicroak: I've been thinking for a while now to maybe swap Toxicroak for Heliolisk. Both have Dry Skin and both would primarily play the role of life orb attackers. While Heliolisk would be immune to ghost type attacks in addition to water, I went with Toxicroak primarily for its counter to fairy as well as hit normal and dark types hard. That being said, Heliolisk has a faster base speed (109 vs 85). It also has a slightly higher SpA than Toxicroak Attack (109 v 106) which would solve my problem for 'not enough special attackers'. Heliolisk could also serve as a second pivot to Flygon with STAB volt switch.
Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast

Minor Team Changes
  • Flygon: I used to run Thunder Punch > Crunch to hit water mons effectively, but I went with Crunch as it has higher base power. That being said, SP on Toxicroak is the only other dark type move on the team and no other mon has an electric move. In addition, locking into an electric type move while banded would allow an easy swap into a ground mon for the opponent.
  • Chandelure: My initial set for Chandelure had Psychic as the 4th slot and an AV as the item. An opponent of mine said that was pretty stupid (which in hindsight it kind of was) but I do realize that I may want to avoid being locked into a particular move for him. Perhaps giving him Life Orb > Specs or maybe even Leftovers > Specs to allow for it's wide movepool to be put better to use.
  • Slurpuff: Wish is a pretty useless move at the moment, but Slurpuff's offensive movepool is pretty terrible to fit anything else. She can run Heal Bell > Wish to be a better cleric but I think health recovery would generally be prefered. Smogon recommends Return but I don't think that would be the best option without it being stab. I could run Surf to counter fire types (which resist fairy) however it wouldn't get the Belly Drum boost so that doesn't seem too smart.
  • On one hand, I've been thinking I should look for a mon with Defog or Rapid Spin, however I've accepted the fact of just dealing with entry hazards up to this point. Flygon and Gyarados aren't affected by spikes or webs, only Gyarados and Chandelure are super effected by rocks, and m-aggron couldn't give less of a care about any entry hazards. I would have to take a mon off the team to give it one of the moves as well (or give Flygon Defog and take away the band), and that isn't something I think I'm willing to do.

Thanks for reading and feel free to share any and all constructive criticism you have.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)