Infernape

Status
Not open for further replies.

[OVERVIEW]

• Infernape can be a difficult Pokemon for some opponents to be able to handle because of its good mixed attacking stats, speed, and movepool.
  • Infernape has access to two decent abilities being Blaze and Iron Fist.
  • Frail defenses can make it difficult to find an opportunity to bring Infernape into battle.
  • The addition of Toxapex, Mantine, and faster offensive threats into the OU metagame with the arrival of generation 7 may limit some of Infernape's potential.

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Fire Blast / Flare Blitz
move 3: Thunder Punch / Gunk Shot
move 4: Grass Knot / Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb
ability: Blaze / Iron Fist
nature: Naive
evs: 192 Atk / 64 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Close Combat is Infernape's primary physical STAB Fighting-type move. 120 Base Power with 100 accuracy lets Infernape reliably hit with respectable power.
  • Fire Blast is the main Fire-type STAB. Flare Blitz can also be used, but it causes a lot of recoil with Life Orb.
  • Thunder Punch is to hit Water-types and Flying-types such as Mantine, Pelipper, and Gyarados.
  • Gunk Shot hits many of Infernape's checks for good damage, especially Fairy-types such as Tapu Fini and mixed defense Clefable.
  • Grass Knot can allow Infernape to overcome some of its checks such as Slowbro, Hippowdon, Starmie, and Quagsire.
  • Hidden Power Ice can be used instead of Grass Knot to hit Pokemon such as Landorus-Therian, Landorus, Gliscor, Zygarde, Garchomp, and Dragonite.

Set Details
========
  • The Blaze ability can give Infernape a 50% power boost to its Fire-type attacks if it drops below a third of its health. Alternatively, Iron Fist can boost the power of Thunder Punch.
  • 252 Speed EVs with a Naive nature maximizes Infernape's Speed stat while letting Infernape take as little damage as possible from physical priority attacks and not give Genesect an Attack boost.
  • Life Orb significantly boosts Infernape's firepower.
  • 64 Special Attack EVs gives Fire Blast just enough power to 2HKO defensive Landorus-T.
  • 192 Attack EVs maximizes physical power with the given Special Attack and Speed investment and gives Infernape nearly a 100% chance to 2HKO max Defense Rotom-W after Stealth Rock damage.
  • A spread of 100 Atk / 156 SpA / 252 Spe gives Grass Knot just enough power to guarantee a 2HKO against Slowbro.
  • If Slowbro is not an issue for your team or you're using Hidden Power Ice instead of Grass Knot, a spread of 124 Atk / 132 SpA / 252 Spe can be used to increase physical power while having just enough Special Attack investment to OHKO Choice Scarf Landorus-T with Hidden Power Ice.

Usage Tips
========
  • Infernape should generally be kept healthy to clean up weakened teams late-game once its checks and counters are weakened or eliminated.
  • It is thus advisable to bring Infernape into battle primarily with double switches or a VoltTurn core.
  • Infernape's unpredictable nature combined with good power and diverse attack coverage allow it to also be used as a lure to help out your team by weakening or eliminating an opponent's Pokemon if you take them off guard with a coverage move.
  • Infernape can very well be used as a check to certain threats such as Bisharp, Weavile, and Scizor, but you should generally avoid switching directly into these threats due to Infernape's frailty.

Team Options
========
  • Pursuit trappers such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Weavile can trap and eliminate Psychic-types such as Latios, Latias, Reuniclus, Cresselia, and Slowking which all give Infernape trouble.
  • Pokemon such as Mega Charizard X that benefit from Infernape's ability to lure and KO certain threats make good offensive partners.
  • Pokemon that can help bring Infernape into battle such as Volt Switch users like Rotom-W, U-turn users like Landorus-T, or Baton Pass users such as Celebi can improve the offensive momentum of your team as a whole.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Slack Off
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Low Kick
item: Leftovers
ability: Blaze
nature: Jolly
evs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 124 SpD / 48 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Fire Blast / Flare Blitz
move 3: Thunder Punch / Gunk Shot
move 4: U-turn / Grass Knot / Hidden Power Ice
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Blaze / Iron Fist
nature: Naive
evs: 128 Atk / 128 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========
  • A Choice Scarf set to specialize the use of Infernape for its speed might be prudent as the metagame gets progressively faster and new defensive checks stand in Life Orb Infernape's way with each generation.
  • If both Flare Blitz and U-turn are used, a fully physical spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with a Jolly nature is preferred.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Choice Band
  • Stealth Rock lead

Checks and Counters
===================

Last edited:
I understand this is a WIP, but what's with the Scarf EV set?
Oh my bad I didn't realize I accidentally put 128 HP and Atk and not Atk and Spa lol.

128 Atk / 128 SpA / 252 Spe is just a placeholder before I run calcs to find a reason to run a more specific spread though

Would Iron Fist be worth consideration when using Thunder Punch on the LO and Scarf sets? I'm thinking that it could help against Mantine and Toxapex.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The overview needs way, way, way less hype.

• Infernape can be a very difficult Pokemon for opponents to be able to handle because of its good mixed attacking stats, speed, and movepool.
  • Infernape's Fire-type attacks can potentially hit extremely hard and clutch a game with its Blaze ability.
  • Frail defenses can make it difficult to find an opportunity to bring Infernape into battle.
  • The addition of Toxapex, Mantine, and faster offensive threats into the OU metagame with the arrival of generation 7 may limit some of Infernape's potential.
Infernape is actually a lot easier to deal in gen VII now that Toxapex is a thing. It just says "no" to literally everything it does. Despite having high base power moves, it doesn't really hit all that hard though coming from those base 104 offenses, though it does get good coverage. Blaze isn't worth mentioning.

Haven't tested it, but Earthquake with max attack might be worth looking into, since it doesn't let Toxapex switch in for free. The damage is fairly unimpressive though (43.7 - 51.3%) against physical walls, though it naturally does a lot better against special defense tanks (55.5 - 65.7%).

Idk, it's not looking too good for Ape in gen VII. It matches up against the tapus decently, and it's typing makes it a passable check to things like Genesect but that Toxapex matchup is brutal... Will get back to you after testing.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I'm pretty sure the correct moveset is

Close Combat
Fire Blast / Flare Blitz
Thunder Punch
Grass Knot / HP Ice

Thunder punch covers Tapu Fini, Azumarill, Gyarados, Pelipper, AV Torn, Zard Y, and Mantine in one moveslot. It also has a pretty good chance of 2HKOing more specially defensive Toxapexs with rocks up which is kinda huge.

I think Gunk Shot isn't really that good anymore compared to other moves. It's supposed to kill Altaria, Clefable, Latios, and Azumarill according to the ORAS analysis. Altaria is not available, Azumarill gets hit by thunderpunch and Clefable is used a lot less than it used to be. While hitting Latios/Latias is nice, IT does about ~55% to them and Close Combat does ~45%, the extra 10% isn't really that all that valauble on something that outspeeds you and generally gets worn down not too easily.

Grass Knot and HP Ice do what they've always done, though HP Ice might be a bit more valuable this gen so youre not free set up for Zygarde.

Iron Fist Thunder Punch only 2HKOs physically defensive Toxapex if it's a max attack Choice Banded Nape set, and even then you need SR up to guarantee the 2HKO. Iron Fist Life Orb TPunch has a 56% chance to OHKO phys def Mantine though, and the scarf set with Iron Fist TPunch has an 69% chance to OHKO after rocks damage. I might include Iron Fist in the Set Details.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm not sure what you read but the latter two bulletins are clearly cons
The first two lines @_@
  • Infernape can be a very difficult Pokemon for opponents to be able to handle because of its good mixed attacking stats, speed, and movepool.
  • Infernape's Fire-type attacks can potentially hit extremely hard and clutch a game with its Blaze ability.
I hate to be blunt, but none of that is true...

Ash Borer

Iron Fist Thunder Punch only 2HKOs physically defensive Toxapex if it's a max attack Choice Banded Nape set, and even then you need SR up to guarantee the 2HKO. Iron Fist Life Orb TPunch has a 56% chance to OHKO phys def Mantine though, and the scarf set with Iron Fist TPunch has an 69% chance to OHKO after rocks damage. I might include Iron Fist in the Set Details.
True, it does still get walled by phys def Pex, but I'm not sure if that will be the only set.

ALso, I think something like 188 Atk / 252 Spe / 64 SpA makes a bit more sense. Slowbro's relevancy, with the advent of Toxapex is quite diminished. Getting the 2HKO on 252 HP Lando-T with Fire Blast and then dumping the rest into attack to increase your chances of 2HKOing Phys def Rotom, and requiring less chip damage on Toxy before you can get through it.

168 Atk Life Orb Infernape Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-Wash: 140-165 (46.2 - 54.4%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the correct moveset is

Close Combat
Fire Blast / Flare Blitz
Thunder Punch
Grass Knot / HP Ice

Thunder punch covers Tapu Fini, Azumarill, Gyarados, Pelipper, AV Torn, Zard Y, and Mantine in one moveslot
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 146-172 (42.4 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

I wouldn't exactly call that covering as opposed to

100 Atk Life Orb Infernape Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 169-200 (49.1 - 58.1%) -- 97.3% chance to 2HKO

100 Atk Life Orb Infernape Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 157-186 (52.8 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
100 Atk Life Orb Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 198-234 (66.6 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 268-317 (90.2 - 106.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 179-212 (60.2 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

100 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 231-273 (57.6 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
100 Atk Life Orb Infernape Gunk Shot vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 309-364 (77 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 265-312 (66 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Gunk Shot vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 351-413 (87.5 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

100 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-Therian: 257-304 (79.5 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
100 Atk Life Orb Infernape Gunk Shot vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-Therian: 172-203 (53.2 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-Therian: 294-346 (91 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Gunk Shot vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-Therian: 195-230 (60.3 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

100 Atk Life Orb Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 234-276 (72.4 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 317-374 (98.1 - 115.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

100 Atk Life Orb Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 291-343 (77.8 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 395-468 (105.6 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

TPunch only has a better HTK than Gunk against Torn and ZardY and only OHKOs Pelipper and Mantine if you run that max attack Iron Fist spread. Unless we're planning on running max attack Iron Fist then Gunk Shot is better against Azu, Tapu Fini, and Clefable while being just as good against ZardY and TornT, whereas TPunch is better against Mantine, Gyara, Pelipper, and Tentacruel. TPunch might be the way to go in gen7. I'll add Pelipper to the list of things that TPunch hits and switch up the move order for now

Ash Borer

I don't really buy that Fini is going to be only fully physically defensive. Its probably going to try and outspeed some threats as it uses Taunt, or run some special defensive being able to much more effectively deal with Greninja for example. Maybe some SpA to get some 2HKOs or OHKOs.

Last edited:
I don't really buy that Fini is going to be only fully physically defensive. Its probably going to try and outspeed some threats as it uses Taunt, or run some special defensive being able to much more effectively deal with Greninja for example. Maybe some SpA to get some 2HKOs or OHKOs.
Okay, thanks for the spread I think you're right about Thunder Punch being better.

Ash Borer

Make sure to include some lines about better and worse move combinations. For example Flare Blitz + Grass Knot is not that great, being walled by Lando-T really sucks. Flare Blitz + Gunk Shot is also kinda pointless, as you have a pretty good chance of getting past Clefable without it. If its unaware, or has take a shred of chip damage its all but guaranteed. Plus you 1 shot Tapu Lele anyways, which was another little perk of Gunk Shot.

252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 277-328 (98.5 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 192-227 (48.8 - 57.7%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The way I see it these are probably the best move combinations

CC / Flare Blitz / T Punch / HP Ice - 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA (You can't really hit any good benchmarks for HP Ice without huge investment, not worth it)
CC / Fire Blast / Gunk Shot / Grass Knot - 192 Atk / 64 SpA / 252 Spe (Thunder punch can make sense here, it still tags mantine and pelipper to name two, but it's less optimized)

After some thought, this Pokemon just doesn't seem worth it in the current metagame. Offensive sets are so unimpressive and there's very little reason that anyone would consider Infernape as their team's wallbreaker. Defensive is also very lacking, especially when Dark spam isn't as potent as last gen and the fact that there are just better Pokemon to use for more balance-inclined teams. Scarf is horrendous, I don't think much needs to be said there.

Locking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)