Intended for wi-fi, OU RMT

This is a team that I made recently. The only thing I knew that I wanted to use for sure going into it was CBTar as my lead due to the popularity of the “suicide leads” and because he is a decent lead as is. It’s by no means an amazing team that shreds its opponents into nothing but fragments of their former selves, but I have won more than I lost, so I guess it’s fairly decent. The whole point of this team is to keep offensive pressure on the opponent. Even the standard “walls” I use are more offensive than they are usually expected to be. I am open to glaring weaknesses, nitpicks, suggestions, critiques…anything that will help. Thanks in advance.
I'm now considering replacing Snorlax/and or Gliscor as they detract from the more offensively minded nature of this team. Suggestions greatly appreciated.
~Brute

The Lead

Tyranitar @Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sand Stream
252Hp/252Atk/6spd
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Pursuit/Ice Fang

I belong to the group of people that think a good lead can make or break your team. There will always be someone whose lead is THE perfect counter to yours, but as long as it is fairly reliable at getting you rolling in the right direction, what more could you ask for? CBTar’s crunch does 47.93% - 56.51% to Impish 252Hp/108Def Bronzong, one of the sturdiest leads around. I don’t even need to mention how good he is at destroying the new Azelf leads with pursuit and sand stream, and lead Gengars that don’t feel like putting him to sleep meet their demise as well. I love this guy as a lead, and the sand is an added residual bonus as only one member of my team is hit by it. As weird as Ice Fang on CBTar seems, most lead Azelfs just try and get rocks up rather than switching out, and I have another CB pursuiter for starmie and gengar. Ice Fang can hit Garchomps trying to get me when they switch in and hurts Gliscor severely as well.

Special Sponge

Snorlax @Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
252Atk/252Sp.Def/6Hp
-Pursuit
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake
-Body Slam

The ability to eliminate your opponents Gengar, Starmie, Azelf, or other unsuspecting pokes that normally see Lax as merely a nuisance as opposed to an actual threat is very sweet indeed. I hate the fat pink whore that is unfortunately the absolute best special wall in the game, but needed insurance against some of the more common special threats. CBLax covers them and is a powerful attacker in his own right. Say that about Blissey.

Anti-Hera Rape

Gliscor @Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Ability: Sand Veil
252Hp/252Def/6Atk
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Roost

I have used a Jolly SD Glisc before, but really felt that I needed max Def and Hp to stop both Luke and Hera. The one difference between this one and a standard set is the lack of Knock Off or SR. Aerial Ace is there to destroy any heracross I run into and for other random fighters. Ice Fang for coverage on the dragons, and Earthquake for reliable damage and STAB. If anyone has a different spread or set that still allows for switches into Luke and Hera but gives more offense on Glisc’s end, I’d be very appreciative.

Uber Abuse

Garchomp @Yache Berry
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sand Veil
252Atk/252Spd/6Hp
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Fire Fang/Stone Edge
-Swords Dance

Ah Garchomp, the much disputed and incredibly overused poke that has the ability to steam roll teams at will. Although lacking the “instant” power of adamant CBChomp, SDOutrage outdamages its CB’ed companion by a good margin while allowing the freedom to switch moves, which is always welcome. Yache abuse allows it to take out bulky counters or survive a hit from an unexpected ice user. He takes advantage of the sand provided by T-Tar, making him all the more annoying. Fire Fang would have to be the move that I’m most questionable about, because I never use it. Should I test/use Crunch, Fire Blast, or Stone Edge instead?

Prehistoric Awesomeness

Mamoswine @Nevermeltice OR life orb/muscle band?
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Oblivious
252Atk/252Spd/6Hp
-Ice Shard
-Ice Fang/Blizzard
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

STAB’ed ice attacks are always a welcome addition to any team, and Mamo is surprisingly speedy in his own right. Jolly Mamo outpaces Adamant and Modest Lucario’s and destroys them with EQ. He helps me to kill weakened enemies, the OU dragons, and is just a really strong poke overall. I’m in a rut about his item. Nevermeltice allows the allusion of CB unless they run calculations, but it does nothing for Mamo’s EQ or Stone Edge. Muscle Band is a 10% boost to all physical attacks, but nevermeltice gives his ice attacks a 20% boost. Life orb gives added power, but no CB illusion. Opinions are welcome.

End Gamer

Lucario @Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
252Atk/252Spd/6Hp
-Bullet Punch
-Extremespeed
-Close Combat
-Swords Dance

I absolutely love how good of a late, or even mid-game finisher Lucario is. +Speed nature because SD more than makes up for the drop in power. Because I already have T-Tar, I haven’t really had any situations that I needed Crunch on Luke. Changed Lucario's nature to Adamant. He appreciates the extra power.

I really like the general composition of this team. Two pokes with priority moves, and each member of the team is capable of dishing out damage on their own. I don’t think two stat uppers is too many, but creating opportunities for them to get an SD in is part of the responsibility of the player using the team. That’s pretty much it, so rate away. Thanks again!

Will be making changes in bold.

Threat list:

Tyranitar - Garchomp, Lucario, Gliscor, Mamoswine…
Gyarados - No real ‘counter’ so much as weakening it with constant attacks and finishing on a switch or with priority. Very threatening to most teams
Azelf - one of the main reasons I lead with Tar, but as mentioned earlier, Snorlax does pretty well
Rhyperior - Any number of my faster EQ users, and Glisc takes his hits fairly well. Not all that common
Electivire - with a couple of electric immune pokes and gliscor for non ice attacks, not too threatening
Heracross - Gliscor and good prediction
Salamence - Garchomp unless it DD’s, then Mamo earns his keep
Togekiss - T-Tar if he’s still around late game, or Mamoswine
Gengar - Snorlax is my main counter, as pursuit knocks it out cold, but Luke is carrying bullet punch…
Garchomp - Mamoswine ice shards it into oblivion, and Glisc can take a hit or two then Ice Fang it
Lucario - mainly gliscor unless they’re running a mixed set, but then Chomp counters if he still has his Yache
Tauros - never seen one
Starmie - snorlax, once again, but weakened ones don’t like Lukes X-Speed
Weavile - Yache abuse by chomp, and bullet punch from Luke. Quite threatening to this team if ran as a lead…
Dugtrio - yes, it can get off a revenge kill, but is overpowered by the rest of the team eventually
Alakazam - timid LO Zam is actually a decent late game cleaner, but not seen that often. Snorlax I guess
PorygonZ - Snorlax absorbs its hits, and good switches/prediction allow set ups for me or its death
Medicham - played around once it’s locked into a move
Staraptor - T-Tar if it’s locked into anything besides CC, and Gliscor
Slowbro - normally switches into Chomp who has just SD’ed and kills or severely wounds it
Machamp - Gliscor, like any other fighter, but I have to be wary of Ice Punch
Jolteon - very fast, but not very threatening. All out sweeper is Lax’s job, starter is pressured by T-Tar
Aerodactyl - usually a lead and gone within the first few turns, bullet punch if not
Snorlax - Close Combat, SD Outrage, any other powerful physical attack
Zapdos - really quite annoying, but leads are Stone Edged into the abyss by Tar
Blissey - see Snorlax
Suicune - haven’t seen one recently, but try to overpower it eventually, I guess
Sceptile - subseed never accomplishes much of anything…are there other types used?
Breloom - if it tries to switch in on Lax, it takes a CB’ed attack to the face, but something is going to sleep :(
Slaking - ummm…set up bait?
Tangrowth - not much, because of how heavily physically oriented my team is
Ninjask - almost always a lead, sand ruins its sash, and I just attack straight up
Metagross - handled by various EQ users on my team, or walled to an extent by Gliscor
Heatran - Snorlax can sponge SOME of its attacks, but scarfed poses a serious threat
Celebi - a huge pain in the butt to any team just because, Snorlax doesn’t mind getting seeded to pursuit it to death, and Tar does this even better
Jirachi - annoying if it has Wish+Protect but dies to Chomp, Mamo, Tar, etc..
Deoxys-S - priority moves, LO + SS damage adds up too

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Chiming in just to point out that Fire Punch + Pursuit is an illegal combination on Snorlax, since FP is an Emerald move tutor and Pursuit can only be bred onto Snorlax in DP.

You really think so? I'd have 3 choice banders then, and if I did CB him, I'd really consider running an Adamant nature on him. Do you think the mixed set with a Naughty nature and blizzard is viable or not?

Omega: Thanks, forgot about that. What should I swap it for then, because isn't selfdestruct illegal with pursuit as well?

You really think so? I'd have 3 choice banders then, and if I did CB him, I'd really consider running an Adamant nature on him. Do you think the mixed set with a Naughty nature and blizzard is viable or not?
Rofl, i didn't see you have 2 choice banders already.

I'd give Mamo life orb instead and add Blizzard instead of ice fang.

I had been considering using Blizzard, because more often than not, Mamo is just using Ice Shard as his physical ice attack. Any help on a LEGAL move for snorlax? Would using Fire Blast to hit defensive steel types be viable?

Just popping in to say if you don't want to Band Mamo, but want an item that could give the illusion of a Band, you could always give him Expert Belt.

Alright, Choice Band Tyranitar with only 6 speed EVs is a REALLY bad idea, what will tyranitar outspeed with 6 speed EVs I would suggest a tyraniboah as it sweeps a LOT better. Second, be careful of Gyra like you said as I just read your threat list. The first thing its gonna do is set up with Dragon Dance or Waterfall t-tar and you´d probably just be finished there. Next, there ARE gyra counters I would suggest a Slowbro or Vaporeon with HP electrick to ignore that taunt spam. The only thing this team vitally needs is a good defensive wall. But yeah

You could consider a Muscle band (10% boost to physical attacks) on Mamoswine if you really want to trick the foe into thinking you're banded.

Thanks for the item suggestions on Mamo, I'd really considered muscle band because it boosts all of his physical attacks, and expert belt might work as well if I'm just wanting added power to his ice shard and stuff. Tyranitar as a lead doesn't really need speed evs because the hp and his really strong defenses allow him to take hits. His speed is pretty abysmal at base of only 61. DDtar runs jolly and speed evs and still is outsped by some threats. I agree with the danger that Gyarados poses, and having a physical wall that's weak to water doesn't do much, but I don't know where to fit a counter, or if I even could. Keep the suggestions and rates coming!

Alright, Choice Band Tyranitar with only 6 speed EVs is a REALLY bad idea, what will tyranitar outspeed with 6 speed EVs I would suggest a tyraniboah as it sweeps a LOT better. Second, be careful of Gyra like you said as I just read your threat list. The first thing its gonna do is set up with Dragon Dance or Waterfall t-tar and you´d probably just be finished there. Next, there ARE gyra counters I would suggest a Slowbro or Vaporeon with HP electrick to ignore that taunt spam. The only thing this team vitally needs is a good defensive wall. But yeah
This is where I'd suggest having a DD Orb Jolly Ttar. With moveset: DD, SE, Crunch, EQ.

Stone Edge from this Ttar does about 60% damage on a standard Skarmory. And outspeed's Timid Azelf or Starmie after 1 Dragon Dance. It gives trouble to many common threats. Just demonstrating its power.

DDtar sounds pretty interesting, and is a decent late game sweeper. However, the lack of pursuit is what makes me kind of iffy about using him as my lead. I really appreciate and have implemented the suggestions that everyone has been giving. Are there any major fixes or gaping weaknesses that can be easily remedied? Any opinions about trying to squeeze stone edge in on either Lucario or Garchomp in order to try and damage Gyara a little? Thanks again.

As Omega already pointed out, Fire Punch and Pursuit are an illegal move combination because pursuit has to be bred onto snorlax in DP, and all of the elemental punches are move tutored in emerald. With 92 Sp. Atk evs snorlax is guaranteed to 2hko skarmory with Fire Blast, but I don't know if it's worth hurting his ability to soak up special hits just to kill off the stupid metal bird. I'm thinking about testing stone edge on Chomp, and I'm still not convinced about blizzard or mamoswine's item...

run pursuit/eq/body slam/self-destruct

i mean, there's no reason not to run one of the most powerful moves in the game :p CB STAB Self-Destruct? Better hope they resist it!

umm...except for the fact that pursuit with self-destruct/fire punch is an illegal moveset, i might. i'm really hoping for some actual in depth and thorough rates please. thanks!

I just finished saying the same thing in another RMT, but here goes again :P

Jolly Swords Dance Lucario is a huge mistake. Without that 10% boost in his Attack stat, he will never OHKO Skarmory, Bronzong, Forretress, Dusknoir, or Deoxys-E. This cut in power pretty much ensures that he won't accomplish anything.

Jolly doesn't outrun anything significant. Basically, you'll outspeed postive base 80's, base 95's, base 100's (who never max speed anyways). Extremespeed patches up your low speed anyways, allowing you to snag kills on those faster frail pokemon.

Oh yeah, don't replace Fire Fang on Garchomp. Skarmory and Bronzong are more popular than you think, and it's helpful against Celebi too. If you really want a different move, Stone Edge is a good choice, so you can hit Zapdos and other fliers without locking in.

This is probably not the in-depth rate you're looking for, lol, but there are some things I thought I'd point out.

Firstly, I'm not sure what your reasoning is for not having it is, but a team like this definitely appreciates Stealth Rock support. It helps solidify a lot of OHKO's on opposing pokemon, and is useful especially with Lucario whose main counters are usually weak to it.. Looking at Gliscor, Aerial Ace is probably the move that can go - Heracross is not going to last long with Sandstorm anyway.

As much as it pains me to say it too, Snorlax is simply not the end-all solution to Special Attackers like Blissey can be. A Life Orb Focus Blast from Gengar 2HKO's it (OHKO's your Tyranitar too btw), and with Sandstorm AND no leftovers it is not going to last long. At least make it a Restalking Lax for more durability, you already have T-tar as with Choice Band, Mamo too if you want.

You could still use a Sp. Wall that isn't hit as hard by Gengar and random pokes like Specs Luke though... Restalking Spiritomb is not bad if you still want your Gar-Azelf-Starmie killer... that is not my area of expertise though, so I'll leave it to others. :)

Thanks for the advice, I really was pretty sure about keeping fire fang on Garchomp, but I also wanted to try and hit Gyarados somehow. :( I also really did notice that 10% percent power drop as soon as I switched to jolly. I just hated automatically losing in the speed department to opposing Lukes. Changing it back to adamant now. However, Jolly Mamoswine does outspeed Adamant Lucario... :(

The suggestion to run Stealth Rock on Gliscor in place of aerial ace is a good one. I guess I was just being overzealous in making sure that hera got taken out. :) Gliscor has caused switches in plenty of games when switched into my opponents fighting type that using SR on him would really work.

I'm really unsure about changing Lax to the Restalk variety because his normal job on my team lasts only an average of one switch in per game, mainly to eliminate the specified threats and to possibly damage anything else before he dies. His spot on the team is the most questionable at the moment. Thanks for the help!

For Snorlax to beat Gengar on the switch-in, you have to have Focus Blast miss one out of two times. 70% accuracy - it's a bit of a gamble.

But anyway, a bit of a more pressing issue I just noticed is how HUGE a Mix-Ape weak you have. Four Pokemon hit by CC, the other two by Hidden Power Ice - your only chance of winning against it is revenge killing with ExtremeSpeed, which is never good seeing as it means you lose one Poke to it each time it comes out...

To be honest I'd definitely replace Snorlax or another of your Pokemon, as 4 Fighting weaknesses is too much even Infernape withstanding.

Yeah, I've ran into problems with both your standard Gyarados, and all-out mixapes lacking nasty plot. As I said earlier, Snorlax's spot is the most questionable, so any suggestions on how I could help solve these problems and stregthen the team as a whole? Gliscor takes CC from Infernape's like a champ, but hp ice destroys him and flamethrowers don't tickle either...

Most of the time, Gengar sees snorlax as an annoying enough special sponge that it switches out and dies to pursuit, but if it does sleep me or try and take me out with focus blast, I am pretty screwed.

Restalking Spiritbomb over Lax would help. Something like this:

Spiritbomb@Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP, 114 Def, 112 SpDef
Nature: Calm
Ability: Pressure
~Rest
~Sleep Talk
~Shadow Ball
~HP {Fighting}

Restalk to take status for your sweepers and stops spinners from blowing away your Stealth Rocks.

Changing Lax to the Restalk variety has been suggested earlier, and that spiritomb set could help stop Gengar, Starmie, etc...but I feel that putting in something rather lacking in its offensive capabilities really hurts the speed and attacking prowess of this team.

I'm at a loss about the glaring fighting weakness that just slapping Gliscor into my team can't really cover if the opponent has more than one fighting user capable of overpowering him. :(

Well I just wanted to share something with you that works pretty well. I know it is not standard but it is good to have. In my opinion I think Spiritomb is not a great Pokemon but is a little bit underrated. It might be nice just to have a ghost Pokemon on your team, although you don't really have a special wall.

Spiritomb@leftovers
Nature: Careful
EV's: 252 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 6 def
Sucker Punch
Pursuit
Pain Split
Taunt

This set takes does 316 to 372 damage to the normal Gengar without any defense EVs and the right prediction.

This set does 241 to 283 damage to no def Starmie and the right prediction.

This set does 281 to 330 damage to no def Azelf and the right prediction.

This set does 230 to 270 damage to no def Deoxys-E and the right prediction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)