International WiFi Tournament -International Challenge- WON BY Cybertron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I just had a Japanese opponent with only level 1 pokemon, looked like they were all random stuff. Battle Video: 92-08553-10124

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I legitly think I am going to quit the tounrment and never take part in anything run by the American Pokemon Company again. I contacted them about all the dc'ing issues and they said, essentially. that while "there is a penalty system in place for disconnectors" they also say the whole point of the tounrment is for fun and shouldn't be taken seriously....this proves once again that no one at the pokemon company actually cares about competitiveness, just money from selling the games and other merchandise. Which while is obviously true, it's still annoying that they don't help competitive players at all directly.

Edit: The Japanese Company, however, are much kinder about messages and actually agreed about the issues of dc'ing and agreed to work on a harsh punishment (For japanses dc'ers they said). They also actually care about competitive players from some of the messages I've recieved from them (I play japanese versions, and am fairly good at communicating with japanese people)

Edit2 (To stop from gaining post count): At 1st post on page 40 of forum. I am talking about how they sell the game to people to make money. Please learn to read because I never said that they make money from the tournaments they do.
The Pokemon Company International has no control over disconnects. The game doesn't recognize who disconnected. They are not the developer. They cannot do anything. If you'd like, TPCi can lie to you and tell you they're working on it. It's not going to help the situation. We've talked with TPCi employees who do care about competitive play and have done a lot for it, so please don't disparage the company because you're sending the wrong place e-mails and not getting the replies you expected.

Oh and out of over 70 battles, I've received only 4 disconnects (aside from 2 before Team Preview and 2 right after Team Preview where one of our connections must have dropped).

The Pokemon Company International has no control over disconnects. The game doesn't recognize who disconnected. They are not the developer. They cannot do anything. If you'd like, TPCi can lie to you and tell you they're working on it. It's not going to help the situation. We've talked with TPCi employees who do care about competitive play and have done a lot for it, so please don't disparage the company because you're sending the wrong place e-mails and not getting the replies you expected.

Oh and out of over 70 battles, I've received only 4 disconnects (aside from 2 before Team Preview and 2 right after Team Preview where one of our connections must have dropped).
To add to what Firestorm said, they have no incentive anyway to fix the disconnections. They've already implemented the rule that should any player have above the average % of disconnections, they'll disqualify them from the tournament. This tournament has no material prize, it's all for the sake of fun. It's also a good opportunity to gain a ton of practice for the upcoming Video Game tournaments.

I'm sure if people were competing for something more than bragging rights, heavier rules for disconnecting would be enforced.

Well I think I a done with today guys......only the 1 loss but had way more DC's than the last 2 days combined.
53-11-22

Edit: Oh yeah close match between me and Showsni (a rematch from top8 UK) a crit near the end kinda messes the battle up though. 48-51073-26233

Just had a match with "Ash" that had 1741 points. He had a clamperl, zangoose, and dusclops. I really wanted to record it because it was so much fun to battle against, but he D/C'd. :/

Just battled a Japanese girl using a Lopunny and a Pachirisu. Pachirisu had a Red Card and used Light Screen, don't know the rest of the set but it looked nice.

Finally got into the 1700s. 19 wins and 2 losses(I think,I rely on the no. of battles on the card thing). I've fought so many people with under 1500 rating and only like 2 with 1700+, I haven't had to think in a single battle so far.
Edit:Just lost a battle to confusion hax.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I really don't think calling people out as "Ash" is working. I think a lot of people just use it as a name based on the Anime, not as it's their name. I've faced about 6 trainers with this name, some DCing, some not. But, tracking who is who is nigh on impossible.

Also, I think i'm getting some luck in finishing all of my battles. The ones that have dc'd seems to have an itchy trigger finger on it though. One bit of luck, and they're gone. Still much lower than autumn though.

Had an awesome game with someone whose nick is ..well "NICK"
I targeted his heatran with a risky double mach punch to turn the tides to my side, and it worked out.
A battle of prediction, GG.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Tonight's battles. Started off at 46 battles, 1673 rating:

1. Pawn200, unknown location, < 1200 rating. Using all level 43 Pokemon. Won 4-0.
2. M.K.R (japanese cart), no location, 1529 rating. Win 4-1 by forfeit.
3. Japanese, Kanagawa, Japan, 1500 rating. Win 3-0.
4. Daniel, no location, 1510 rating. Win 4-1 by forfeit.
5. JULI015, Mexico, 1500 rating. Win 4-0.
6. Japanese, Tokushima, Japan, 1659 rating. Lose 3-4 by forfeit.
7. Japanese, no location, 1618 rating. Lose 3-1 by forfeit.
8. Japanese, Hokkaido (Wakkanai), Japan, 1714 rating. Lose 3-1 by forfeit.
9. Japanese, Fukushima, Japan, 1407 rating. Win 4-0.
10. Japanese (4 japanese characters, letter T), Kanagawa, Japan, 1668 rating. Win 2-1 by forfeit.
11. Japanese, Mie Japan, 1481 rating. Win 3-0.
12. Japanese, Tokyo, 1513 rating. Win 3-0.

9 wins, 3 losses, 0 disconnects.

Notes:
1. Used all level 43 Pokemon for some reason.
3. Note to self: Flying types that use Dig are not vulnerable to Earthquake.
6. Yes, it was that bad. Brilliantly outplayed by my opponent.
7. Haxed to hell by Substitute + Thunder Wave + Bright Powder Froslass, in and out of Hail.
8. I just plain played horribly.
11. Significant misplays on my part, I feel like an idiot for doing what I did.

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm done for the night. Ran into someone again and it led to... an interesting rematch to say the least.
Well considering that a lot of people must have dropped out from the tourney already + you battling a lot it doesn't seem THAT unlikely to face him again.
Still curious why didn't you go for the double protect in the last turn?

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well considering that a lot of people must have dropped out from the tourney already + you battling a lot it doesn't seem THAT unlikely to face him again.
Still curious why didn't you go for the double protect in the last turn?
Nidoking had a Choice Scarf. If I had used Protect with Alakazam that would have only delayed the inevitable.

I played Paul too, lost 1-0 after a low damage roll. Curious as to who he is, I don't recall of a VGC player named Paul from NJ in general, he's a high quality player. I think I'm done with this tournament in general, poor connection + general disconnections don't lead to fun battles. Might play a game or two tomorrow, but this was definitely great practice for actual VGC's and playing the Japanese gave me some really cool ideas/strategies!

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
Nidoking had a Choice Scarf. I thought Alakazam could KO Garchomp but I was wrong.
riiiight I knew I was missing something when nido outsped chomp >_<!
Well there's always a chance for the tie break if you find him (yet) again :p

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I came across someone using what I think is a Choice Scarf Slowbro. Either that or it was just speed invested.

I searched for a battle for about 10 minutes+ and couldnt find a battle. I hopped on random matchup find battles instantly. Did this happen to anyone else?

I lost to Paul from the Ferrothorn Rocky Helmet incident earlier, I think. If it wasn't then it was when I attacked him and left him with 1 HP and then he killed me. Either one.
Yeah, this is really good practice for VGCs. I went on a losing streak, but after experience playing the Japanese, I got out of the streak. I also feel more confident in myself. I hope I can dominate Philly!

I was confused earlier, I thought tomorrow (Sunday) was the last day of the tournament, but we have two days left. Doh.

I'll be pretty hungoveer tomorrow, so I dson't know hos many I will do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)