Introducing Vanguard, unpredictability incarnate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
These several weeks, I've been in a Poke-slump. I didn't post anything especially revolutionary in Stark after the creation of Pepper. Then, it came to me: What if you totally tweaked Medicham to bring one of its several counters, and then instantly set up another Pokemon with substitute? Done right, it adds such a grand layer of unpredictability to a Pokemon not known for it. Without further ado, I present, Vanguard:

Vanguard (Medicham) @ Lum Berry
Jolly Natured, 176 Attack/ 252 Speed / 98 Sp. Def

Substitute
Baton Pass
Hi-Jump Kick
Psycho Cut / Ice Punch

The basic idea here is entirely simple. Using your SR resistance, you bring our front line scout in on predicted switches or set up moves. The Sp. Def EVs allow you to bring it in on weak special walls, and the Lum Berry safeguards against Status. You then Substitute as they switch to a counter and Baton Pass to further increase your momentum, it's the perfect plan. The fact that Medicham causes so many switch ins can be exploited by setting up entry hazards as well! Medicham has two rare weaknesses, so you probably should worry too much about that, it has few resistances, however, so try to predict and bring it in to begin the fun. That's the only difficult part in the whole plan! The two attack moves are standard STAB fare, you'll be able to threaten and OHKO several metagame Pokemon with those moves alone. For better coverage, you can always try Ice Punch over Psycho Cut.

So, as a summary of how to use this pokemon for maximum effect:
-Bring in on predicted switch, on weak special attack, after another pokemon dies.
-Substitute as a counter Pokemon is brought out.
-Aid teammates or kill the Pokemon, keep them thinking.

The whole point of this Pokemon is as a helpful scout, one that case, however, use a 400 attack stat to KO, scare and otherwise speed up your game to an unrealistic proportion.

Vanguard, get with it.

Just putting this out there, but would Psych Up be a viable option here? If he's a scout, he shouldn't be doing a whole bunch of damage, and if something that walls him comes in to set-up, then you can steal it.

This set is pretty useless against most offensive teams, and by weak special wall, that really limits Medicham's choice of switch-ins to just Blissey. This set does counter most Breloom nicely, but that's the only positive thing I can think about it.

I like the idea but I would just just go for thunderpunch over ice punch as I see gyarados switching in more than gliscor, really cool for midgame mindgames.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The problem here is that Medicham has to predict a switch, status move (though that only works with the first Substitute), or set up move to get in, or else he WILL die. If he were speedier, I'd be a bigger fan of the set, but 284 isn't that fast.

How about Focus Punch as a ridiculous option? I mean, if you're playing it to get a Sub in and they expect the CB version, they could send in something to sponge that Ice Punch that they predict that you predicted to a Gliscor or something.

I don't see the point of the Special Defense EVs unless they are required to take <25% from an 80 SAtk Blissey Ice Beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)