It takes a Metal Bug and a Washing Machine to Tango [Successful Non-Weather Team]

Hello Smogon,

After toying around with random teams in 5th Generation for some time now, I decided to really focus on creating a new and successful team that I could use for a long time and never get tired of using it. I had pretty much played with nearly every type of OU team I could think of: (Rain, Sun, Sand, Dual Screens, Trick Room, Stall, etc..). The most success I had was with any team involving weather, for good reason. It seemed that if I didn't use weather, I would not nearly have a high enough win-percentage to my liking. However, this just made me more determined to create a successful non-weather team in this metagame.

~~ Team Building Process ~~

To start this team off, I needed a decent core of 2 Pokemon who compliment each other. As I was scrolling through a thread with possible Pokemon combinations, I noticed Scizor and Rotom-W. They balance each others weaknesses and can both be offensive powerhouses, just my kind of playing style.

These two Pokemon create an interesting core. Not only do they counter most of each others weaknesses, but they also get access to moves such as U-Turn/Volt Switch. Also, using those "run-away" moves are not the only thing they can do. If needed, they can hit back hard with their STAB moves such as Bullet Punch on Scizor or Hydro Pump on Rotom. With moves like U-Turn and Volt Switch in their arsenal, they are bound to force many switches. I would be a fool to not abuse this through entry hazards. But who can I use, without being TOO predictable..

Deoxys-S seemed to fit this role perfectly. It has enough of a surprise factor to keep my opponent on his/her toes until I have revealed all 4 moves. Not only can it set up Spikes or Stealth Rock, but it can also be used as a threatening wall breaker with moves such as Superpower and BoltBeam. As you will see below, I believe that I run an interesting set-up. I am still rather Ferrothorn weak and need another Pokemon to cause a few more switches.

The most used OU Pokemon from last generation makes another one of his appearances on this team. I cannot think of another Pokemon that can force as many switches as Heatran does. Whether he be an Offensive Tran or a Bulky Tran, he remains a threat to most teams. With the immunity to Toxic and Fire moves, he can come in on many walls not named Blissey or Chansey and threaten them away with his myriad of possible moves. He usually ends up pitted against Ferrothorn or Scizor who he rightfully forces to switch. At this point, I still needed a powerful wall breaker capable of coming in late-game and cleaning up. With Heatran covering Ferrothorn and other Steels, I knew just who to use.

Haxorus has to be one of my favorite Pokemon of this generation. Massive attack stat, pure dragon typing, has blades on his face... It was love at first sight. I feel as though Haxorus makes this team frightening. With Ferrothorn and other popular steels gone, Haxorus is free to spam Outrage all he wants, as long as he can outspeed it. With his speed being a slight issue, I still needed a reliable revenge killer. Scizor can be considered one with Bullet Punch; however, I needed one with a bit more versatility.

I am not sure why I do not see people use Scarfed Hydreigon much. With his large special attack stat, decent speed, and an abundant movepool, Scarf Hydreigon is a force to be reckoned with. He rounds out this team as a solid check to the Lati siblings and can revenge kill any Pokemon faster than Haxorus. Now it is time to go in-depth...

~~ Let's Take a Closer Look ~~

Deoxys-S @ Expert Belt
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Naughty
252 Attack/168 Sp Attack/88 Speed
~ Ice Beam
~ Fire Punch
~ Superpower
~ Stealth Rock

Deoxys-S is 99 times out of 100, my lead. The only time Deoxys-S would not lead is if I have played my opponent before with this team and they know how it works. In that case, I may lead based on what I believe they will lead with. Anyways, this is an Anti-Lead Deoxys. Some people may say that Anti-Leads are not necessary in Generation V, due to Team Viewer; however, so many people use Pokemon such as Tyranitar or Politoed as their leads, to get weather up. Superpower OHKOs Tyranitar, unless they run a ton of HP and Defence EVs, while Politoeds generally run away from Deoxys, expecting a Thunderbolt. The EVs allow me to hit targets hard while still being an incredibly fast Pokemon. Superpower is obviously there for Tyranitar, Fire Punch 2HKOs Ferrothorn, Ice Beam damages those pesky dragons, while Stealth Rock is there for support when I feel safe enough to use it. Deoxys is very effective at its lead role.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
248 HP/252 Attack/8 Speed
~ Bullet Punch
~ U-Turn
~ Superpower
~ Pursuit

This is pretty much the standard Choice Banded Scizor set. Technician to boost CB STAB Bullet Punch's Base Power while Adamant is there to give myself a boosting nature. The speed EVs help me outpace Magnezones that do not invest in speed while the rest are dumped into Hitpoints and Attack. Bullet Punch hits anything that doesn't resist hard and is also a great revenge killing move because of priority. U-Turn is mainly to scout or hit Dark/Psychic Pokemon hard. Superpower is for Magnezone and Tyranitar, if I predict them switching in, and Pursuit traps the Lati crew and other Psychics. He is a very useful Pokemon to me, with his awesome partner Rotom to balance out his weaknesses.

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
252 Sp Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
~ Volt Switch
~ Hydro Pump
~ Hidden Power Ice 70
~ Trick

SpecsRotom is a wonderful thing. This is the second Pokemon in the ScizorWash core and is the second Pokemon on the team with a "Damage Switch" move. His typing allows me to switch him in on a predicted fire attack aimed at Scizor or an Earthquake aimed at Heatran. Timid is to outpace other Non-scarfed Rotoms, which is rather important. The Specs give Rotoms attacking moves incredible power. As long as it isn't resisted, Rotom's Volt Switch is a force to be reckoned with. I usually Volt Switch if I do not know the opponents team well enough to Hydro Pump. If a Ground Type switches in, I can always switch out to my other Pokemon, so that is usually not an issue. Hydro Pump is my most powerful move and can take down many of my opponents Pokemon. HP Ice lets me hit Lati@s for super-effective damage and KOs Salamence. Trick is for the pesky blobs, Blissey and Chansey; however, I also trick other walls and Physical set-up sweepers. Rotom has saved me in many battles.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Calm
252 HP/252 Sp Def/4 Def
~ Lava Plume
~ Toxic
~ Protect
~ Roar

Heatran provides an incredibly useful resistance to Fire, Grass, and Toxic. He is usually sent in on Ferrothorn or Scizor. 90% of the time, this is at the beginning of the match, and my opponent switches out into my incoming Toxic. If my opponent sends out a Latios against my Heatran, I will almost always Protect to scout for what Choice Move he chose. The Nature and EVs give me added Bulk on the Special side, since Heatran would not be able to take any Physical Fighting or Ground moves, anyway. Lava Plume is to hit for damage and the 30% chance of burn while Toxic is for those Bulky Walls. Protect is probably my favorite move, since it can scout for Choice attacks and can rack up Toxic damage while I gain a little bit of health through Leftovers. Roar is pretty much a filler move to phaze those sweepers who think they can set up on me. It was either Roar, Earth Power, or Substitute for that move slot and since Heatran isn't quite fast enough for Substitute and since I have other methods to deal with enemy Heatrans, Roar seemed the most viable.

Haxorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Nature: Adamant
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Brick Break
~ Dual Chop

This is the beast that cleans up after all of the steels have been taken out. With 432 Attack, a Choice Band, and a STAB 100% accurate 120 Base Power attack, Haxorus is capable of annihilating an entire team. The EVs are there for maximum damage and maximum speed with an Adamant Nature. Outrage is my clean-up move while Earthquake is for dealing super-effective damage to Rotom and Fire Pokemon. Brick Break hurts Tyranitar pretty badly and Dual Chop is just for if I am not comfortable to spam Outrage, yet. My strategy with Haxorus is to not reveal him until the end of the game, when he can outspeed and KO the rest of my opponents Pokemon. A pure beast.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
252 Sp Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
~ Draco Meteor
~ Fire Blast
~ U-Turn
~ Focus Blast

My final Pokemon is Hydreigon. For some reason, I do not see this type of Hydreigon floating around. He makes a perfect revenge killer because my opponents do not expect the scarf and is capable of hitting many Pokemon for super-effective damage. Draco Meteor is my most fearsome attack and I use it on almost anything that doesn't resist it. Fire Blast hits those steels for me while Focus Blast is for Tyranitar. My last move is U-Turn and is primarily for scouting in the early parts of the match; however, I prefer to also use him later, with Haxorus, to clean up the scraps.

~~ The Crew ~~

~~ Threat List ~~

Excadrill - Usually have to hope he doesn't get a Swords Dance. But Scizor and Rotom can fare decently.
Conkeldurr - Rotom and Deoxys
Hydreigon - Deoxys followed by Scizor BP
Volcarona - Rotom or Heatran, if it doesn't have HP Ground.
Terrakion - Scizor
Landorus - Deoxys
Chandelure - Rotom
Haxorus - Hydreigon
Virizion - Hydreigon or Scizor
Thundurus - Hydreigon
Scrafty - Deoxys or Hydreigon
Reuniclus - Scizor or Haxorus
Victini - Rotom
Mienshao - Scizor, Hydreigon, and Rotom
Darmanitan - Rotom or Hydreigon
Keldeo - Rotom
Genesect - Hydreigon or Heatran
Tornadus - Rotom
Latias - Hydreigon or Scizor.. or even Heatran's Toxic.
Salamence - Hydreigon or Rotom
Cloyster - Hydreigon or Rotom or Scizor.. Heatran if it doesn't have a water move.
Politoed - Rotom or Hydreigon
Venusaur - Hydreigon or Heatran
Ninetails - Rotom or Haxorus
Toxicroak - Haxorus with Dual Chop for the Sub
Breloom - Have one of my useless Pokemon eat the sleep.. then send out Scizor or Heatran
Ditto - Hydreigon
Scizor - Heatran or Rotom
Ludicolo - Anyone except Heatran or Rotom, really
Metagross - Hydreigon
Infernape - Rotom or Deoxys
Heatran - Deoxys or Rotom
Dragonite - Rotom, Hydreigon, or Haxorus
Whimsicott - Haxorus Dual Chop
Jirachi - Hydreigon or Heatran
Rotom-W - Hydreigon or Deoxys
Gyarados - Rotom
Suicune - Rotom and Scizor spamming Volt Switch/U-Turn
Kabutops - Scizor or Hydreigon
Tyranitar - Hydreigon or Deoxys
Gliscor - Deoxys or Rotom
Blissey - Deoxys or Scizor
Bronzong - Hyrdeigon
Chansey - Scizor or Haxorus
Deoxys-S - Hydreigon and Scizor
Espeon - Scizor
Ferrothorn - Hmm.. Deoxys, Hydreigon, or Heatran should do the trick haha.
Forretress - Deoxys, Heatran, or Hydreigon
Gorebyss - Haxorus or Hydreigon
Hippowdon - Rotom
Jellicent - Rotom
Mew - Anyone really..
Porygon2 - Heatran, Scizor, Hydreigon.. many options
Skarmory - Hydreigon, Heatran
Tentacruel - Rotom
Vaporeon - Rotom
Sableye - Unless I know the set, anyone..

Agree with you about Haxorus, I have been running the exact same set and it is great :D
Anyway, your team is weak to Infernape and other fighting type pokemon. Even if you say you have a counter to it, half of your team is still weak. The only solution I can think of is replacing Heatran with bulky Gyarados, though it may mess up your team...

The only fighting type that I can think of that has given me some sort of issue was Conkeldurr. After he gets a bulk up for 2, I'm pretty much toast. So what I usually do is send in Rotom and hit with a Specs Hydro Pump. I do see what you mean with my fighting weakness, however, Heatran, in my opinion, is too valuable to give up for Gyarados. Thanks for the rate!

Well I like the setup but conkeldurr as you've said is a pain. If you want to keep the double dragon theme is psyshock latios out of the question?

I'm sure I could find a way to put Latios in.. What are you suggesting I replace? I'm always looking for new tests haha.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good concept and choices. If you're trying to abuse VoltSwitch-U-turn to rack up hazard damage, SR seems insufficient. I understand the utility of Protect on a team that really can't afford to make a mistake, but Stealth Rock can really fit that slot on Heatran. Roar is good to rack up hazard damages and to phaze any boosts, such as from Volcarona, so I prefer you keep it.

Give Heatran SR and then replace SR on Deoxys-S for Spikes.

If you want a revenge-killer other than relying on Scizor's CB Bullet Punch, I'd recommend either Terrakion, Infernape, Landorus, or Mienshao. You really want to check those Dancers like Salamence and Volcarona. Although, you have Heatran, Volcarona may occasionally carry HP Ground. Scarfed Terrakion is a solid choice, resisting Volcarona's STAB moves and being faster even after the butterfly dances. Same goes for Infernape, but it also has U-turn. Landorus and Mienshao can't switch into Volcarona as readily, but it can still revenge-kill Salamence and Volcarona, packs a U-turn, and hits hard.

I am disturbed by the lack of coverage against Water and to a lesser extent Fighting Types. You may want to try out Latias / Latios, which offers you a better partner for Heatran than Rotom-W. Latias can wear its counter with Roar whenever you predict them to switch in.

Calm Mind | Dragon Pulse | Roar | Recover. You can possibly give it Substitue > Roar to provide status protection from the likes of Gastrodon who likes to put a damper on Heatran and Specs Rotom's disruption. If you poison Gastrodon with Heatran, than Substitute would quickly wear out Gastrodon. Substitute also provides protection from Pursuit, which allows Latias to switch out from Scizor and Tyranitar safely. Max out its EVs in Speed and HP. This will probably replace Haxorus as your clean-up Sweeper.

Latios provides more offensive presence. Calm Mind | Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor | Surf | Psyshock / Trick @ Life Orb or Choice Scarf is the recommended set. If you are replacing Haxorus, go with Life Orb and Psyshock. If you want to replace Latios for Hydreigon, I'd go with Trick and Choice Scarf.

Another option you can try is Dragonite. It provides you priority to hit things that Scizor has trouble hitting. Extremespeed | Aqua Jet | Outrage | Fire Punch @ CB should be good. Aqua Jet is primarily for Excadrill, for which your team doesn't really have an answer. Extremespeed is good for revenging everything else. Dragonite should have enough bulk to survive Volcarona's hit even without Multiscale and hit it hard with Outrage, which would be more than enough to take it out, especially with hazards up. I'd replace Dragonite for Hydreigon, since it is your 2nd revenge killer. Since it is redundant with Haxorus, I would make Haxorus a DDer to really be able to sweep teams. Dragon Dance | Outrage | Taunt / Dragon Tail | Earthquake @ Lum / Dragon Fang.

Yo, looks like a p. sick team!

Threats
  1. Sand Sweepers (Rock Polish Landorus, Swords Dance Excadrill)
  2. Stall
This seems like a solid team, however there are a few threats out there which may trouble you. Right off the bat sand teams are very threatening to face, especially their sweepers. Rock Polish Landorus and SD Excadrill are quite difficult to face for your team. Landorus and SD Excadrill can set-up on Scizor's Pursuit (Landorus can also set-up on Superpower), Haxorus's Earthquake (Excadrill with Air Balloon, Landorus can also set-up on its Brick Break), Rotom-W locked into Volt Switch, and on a -2 Hydriegon. With a boost under their belt, both can rip apart your team with prior damage and backed up by sand. Seeing as you have 4 choice users, Stall teams will be problematic finding many opportunities to switch in and set-up entry hazards or cripple one of your members through status. A core of Blissey+Skarmory+Jellicent can be quite annoying to face for your team seeing as you don't have something that break through this core, they will set-up their hazards, cripple you with status, and then stall you out.

Solutions:
  • Swords Dance + Taunt Gliscor over Deoxys-S; Alternate Heatran set
IMO, you're not using Deoxys to its fullest extent if you're just using it to lead off your matches to just set-up Stealth Rock. Instead, you can convert Heatran to an Air Balloon variant with SR/FB/HP ICE/Earth power, this will also alleviate your RP Landorus and SD Excadrill weakness as long as you keep your balloon intact, you can take a hit (barring Earthquake) and KO these guys with the appropriate move. What Gliscor brings to the table is a valuable stall breaker to this team as well as extra insurance against SD Excadrill (who could be troublesome with Heatran's balloon gone) and non-HP Ice RP Landorus. Gliscor also serves as an appropriate check against sand teams, and can bring out Pokemon such as Jellicent for your juggernauts to switch into and rip apart. Also the change of Heatran's set to the more offensive variant fits the offensive nature of this team, your current Heatran kind of slows down the pace and the things Substitute Heatran is meant to tank hits from, your team can already handle.

Optional Changes:

Be vary, Volcarona becomes a bit tougher to handle with Heatran being an offensive variant, so you might want to add Quick Attack over Pursuit on Scizor, it usually is the least used move on its move-set as a way to go up against Volcarona. If Volcarona proves to be too troublesome with Heatran's moveset change, use the standard Sdefensive Heatran with Earth Power and Stealth Rock basically over your current Toxic and Substitute with a Balloon. However, Landorus (RP + HP Ice) will require you to use either Lava Plume or Fire Blast to get it to ~50% so Scizor can finish it off with Bullet Punch. You also need to watch out for Rock- type attacks, I didn't suggest any change for that as it will mess up the synergy you have, and Gliscor can handle most of the threats that use Rock- type attacks, but still, just warning you.

Movesets:

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice
- Stealth Rock

OR if Volcarona becomes too problematic with the above set use this:

Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm (+SDef, -Atk)
- Fire Blast / Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

So to summarize:
  • Taunt + SD Gliscor > Deoxys-S
  • Offensive Heatran or Alternate SDefensive set > current set

GL

@ Pocket - I see what you mean about needing something other than Stealth Rock as my entry hazards. I will test Deoxys with Spikes and Heatran with SR and see how that goes. Also, I like the idea of Scarf Latios over Hydreigon. Provides nearly the same coverage but also is effective to deal with Conkeldurr. I'll test that as well.

@ LK - Thanks for taking the time to post such a helpful review :); however, the way I use Deoxys is not to just set up SR and let it get knocked out. Instead, I only set up the Rocks if I am not at all scared by their lead. I try to keep Deoxys alive for quite awhile since it has such great coverage in moves along with its incredible speed. That being said, I will test Gliscor over Deoxys and see how that plays out. As for Heatran, I think I will go with the latter Sp Def version as it was also suggested by the rater before you. I'll try it with both Air Balloon and Shuca to see which is more helpful. I'll let you all know how the tests go.

Thanks for all the rates guys!! Keep em coming!

I'm sure I could find a way to put Latios in.. What are you suggesting I replace? I'm always looking for new tests haha.
I might suggest hydreigon but it's really a diverse monster but conk could really hurt it's dark typing. You might be able to find another solution but that's my suggestion

Seems like a good team with a good strategy, but unless you've implemented some of the changes, you still have 4 choiced 'mons, although 2 of them have switching moves.

Hey there.

On Deoxys-S, I would replace Ice Beam with Spikes, as Spikes are always a major help to heavy offense teams. Ice Beam is your most replaceable move as well, as the other 2 are much more important. With Ice Beam gone, take out the special attack evs and put them into speed. Also, run Focus Sash over Expert Belt. Focus Sash is especially important when you have both SR and Spikes, as it allows you to set up both on pokemon such as Politoed and Rotom-W. You have enough attack to where Expert Belt isn't really necessary anyway.

I don't really see the point in having a specially defensive Heatran on a heavy offense team. I recommend running a Calm Mind Latias over it, as that will give you a much more reliable way to take powerful water attacks, as atm, a specs Politoed can 2hko every pokemon on your team with Hydro Pump. It would also give you an answer to Rotom-W without having to let your Hydreigon and Haxorous take entry hazard damage.

Latias @ Leftovers
252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Speed
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Recover
~ Hidden Power Fire
~ Calm Mind

Latias is chosen over Latios because it is bulkier, and can take moves such as CB Bullet Punch from Scizor much better. Hidden Power Fire allows you to destroy Scizor and Ferrothorn, which will allow your Haxorous to be even more of a threat.

Also, with Heatran being replaced in favor of Latios, change Scizor to a more defensive spread, in order to take hits such as Specs Latios Draco Meteor better. A spread of 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 Special Defense with an Adamant nature will do. CB still allows Scizor to hit pretty hard, so the drop in attack is not really that important.

Swords Dance Excadrill is a huge threat to your team. It can set up on Hydreigon locked in Draco Meteor, Rotom-W locked in Hidden Power Ice, Scizor locked in Bullet Punch or Pursuit, or Haxorus locked in Earthquake (if it carries Air Balloon). It then outspeeds and OHKOes all of your team members bar Deoxys-S at +2. Rock Polish Landorus is even more dangerous, seeing as he also outspeeds and KOes Deoxys-S.

Therefore, a good change would be using a Skarmory over Deoxys and using Stealth Rock on Heatran, using the set LK suggested. Skarmory can take on the aforementioned threats and phaze them out. Skarmory can also set up Spikes, something your team would really appreciate. Skarmory also makes a good switchin to opposing Choice Band Haxorus, something your team lacks at the moment.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell | Sturdy
Impish | 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Brave Bird / Roost / Whirlwind / Spikes

Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)