"It's time to shine" Sunny Day UU Team

Hello. I wanted to show my Sunny Day team. I wanted to create new team after my previous Trick Room one for UU and I like this one. But I guess it needs a bit more improvement, at least in my opinion. Anyway, Sunny Day isn't popular. It has some potential, but most people prefer to use Rain Dance team and they're easier to create then Sunny Day ones. Anyway, here's the team.

Uxie @ Heat Rock

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
~ Sunny Day
~ U-Turn
~ Stealth Rock
~ Psychic

I chose Uxie for my Sunny Day starter. Some of you may ask why not something like Jumpluff or Persian for faster Sunny Day ? Reason is simple - I hate fragile leads and I needed something with access to Stealth Rock. I prefer to use bulky ones and now with Crobat gone that Uxie makes her job even better. Throw up rocks, activates Sunny day and handles some strong physical hits. Also this little fella counters fighting types, which are troublesome for the rest of my team. Anyway, it's good and I don't think that I need to replace it.

Porygon2@ Heat Rock

Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
~ Sunny Day
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt
~ Recover

Another Sunny Day user and thanks to Recover one of the best. Sorry folks, no Download this time, but I think to use Download Life Orb set here. But I needed second Fire absorber (thanks to Trace and pokemon with Flash Fire ability it absorbs fire attacks), which wasn't Fire type. And only Pory2 has that ability, so I put it in this team. I think to make this Pory2 bulkier to handle hits better, but sometimes those SpA EVs saves me. Anyway, it's quite hard decision. But cyber duck is good in setting up Sun and taking hits.

Vileplume @ Leftovers

Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
~ Sunny Day
~ Solarbeam
~ Sleep Powder
~ Sludge Bomb

Vileplume - almost forgotten pokemon, which is surprisingly good. You may say it's totally outclassed by pokemon like Shaymin or Venusaur. It's true, however it still has it niche and it's sweeping Chlorophyll set ! Also it's my next Sunny Day user and quite bulky even without any defensive investment. With Modest Nature and Max SpA Evs it hits surprisingly hard and really not many things switches on it safely. This guy saved my ass so many times it's not even funny ;). Moveset is pretty standard - SolarBeam and Sludge Bomb for STAB and Sleep Powder for any counter, which tries it's luck to counter mine poisonous plant. Max HP Drapion takes 40% from Solarbeam on switch, so really don't underestimate this guy. Why him ? Bulkiness was the most important thing here. Victreebel may hit harder, but it dies to any random super-effective hit. Anyway, I needed something which hits hard and is bulky enough. Vileplume fits those criteria well enough. Also Vileplume is my Toxic Spikes absorber, which is also important. I think to change Sleep Powder for some attack, but I guess it's not that neccesary.

Tangrowth @ Life Orb

Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 200 Atk / 80 SpA / 228 Spe
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
~ Power Whip
~ Earthquake
~ Hidden Power Fire
~ AncientPower

Mixed Mojonbo ;). Good and solid wall breaker. Those moves gives him probably the best coverage that this guy can have. Power Whip of course for deadly STAB, which OHKOes for example most Milotics which tries their luck taking a hit. Sometimes 85% accuracy ruins my fun and stops my sweep, but this is the only thing which makes Tangrowth really unique choice for any Sunny Day team. Earthquake for steels, which wants to ruin my fun. HP Fire thanks to sun gains some STAB and it's probably my best bet against Shaymin and bulky grass types. AncientPower is mostly filler, but it hits those flying pokemon (especially Moltres and Charizard) for super-effective. It would love to have higher base attack, but if I gain that boost to all statistics early enough, it's gg. And Tangrowth is bulky on physical site, so it can handle some hits if neccesary. But I'm ready to replace this guy. But he makes his job most of times.

Arcanine @ Life Orb

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 228 Atk / 92 SpA / 188 Spe
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
~ Flare Blitz
~ Overheat
~ Hidden Power Grass
~ ExtremeSpeed

'UU Mixmence'. It's good nickname for that beast. If I get Flash Fire boost and sun is still active, I don't think that many things can handle it. Bulky Azumarill takes 77% from Flare Blitz if I get Flash Fire boost for example. ExtremeSpeed gives me important priority move, which may help me to finish up some frail sweepers. And priority was one of reasons why I put this guy in my team. Anyway, it's beastly in wall breaking and I use this guy late-game or in mid-game to clean up battlefield or just to deal with heavy stall. Works good with or without sun. I think to replace HP Grass for HP Ground, but I guess it's not that neccesary, but I'm not sure here though. I needed badly Flash Fire pokemon and Arcanine helps here with that niche, as Typhlosion under sun would be too deadly in my opinion.

Primeape @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
~ Close Combat
~ Ice Punch
~ U-Turn
~ Earthquake

Primeape. It may looks like a really strange choice for Sunny Day team, but I have few reasons here for this guy. For first it fixed my Altaria (ok, Altaria is rare, but sometimes it's possible to see it in some battles) and Umbreon weaknesses. Choice Scarf Primeape is solid revenge killer, which switches in and kills any troublesome stuff with his attacks. Close Combat for obvious STAB, which deals good damage on many opponents pokemon. Ice Punch is for flying type pokemons and Altaria, but I guess I'm ready to replace it for Stone Edge. U-Turn is good move for scouting and Primeape with Scarf is probably the fastest user of this move with Staraptor being suspect right now. Earthquake is good move for UU and it deals with some annoying Poison types, which loves to switch on fighting attacks. I didn't chose Punishment as it's quite situational to use it with really good effect, so I think it's not worth it. But this guy is probably my most replacable member and I really look forward for replacements here. But it's not that bad. And has good speed, which was my main decision here to choose this guy. And I needed good STAB fighting user for Umbreon and Clefable and this guy helps me to beat them.

Anyway, here is it. Hail is annoying as hell, but now with Abomasnow being suspect is not that troublesome. I need to seriously fix Linoone weakness and if it sets up, it's gg. I'm also thinking about throwing here 4th Sunny Day user, but I don't need it that much. Probably faster Scarf user would help here, but I'm not sure who would fit here. Anyway, this team works most of times, but I'm sure it can be improved. I'm looking forward for any constructive ideas ;). Cheers.

Well made team, just a few things to think about.

Uxie seems fine as you are not abusing ScarfPhlosion. If you were to make that change, Jumpluff is the better lead because she can sleep away SR for a few turns, allowing Typhlosion to spam Eruptions.
Pory2 is a great Sunny Day set up. I would keep Leftovers and Trace for the Flash Fire, that was a good catch I hadn't thought of :)
With Vileplume's slot, I would consider Exeggutor or Shiftry. The point if a weather team (outside of hail) is to overhelm the opponent. You are looking for bulk in your weather changers, not sweepers. Both Eggy and Shiftry are great for blasting a hole in the opponent's team and Tangrowth is happy to pick up the pieces afterward. On Eggy, run Solarbeam/HP Ground/Psychic/Explosion and on Shiftry Solarbeam/Dark Pulse/HP Fire/Explosion. To use them, get them in with the sun up and start sweeping. When they send out something you can't kill in 1-2 shots, explode because it is very likely that would be Tangrowth's counter as well. I would prefer Eggy because he has useful resistances to spam like a resistance to Fighting.
I believe AncientPower on Tangrowth is useless filler. It hits Moltres. Period. You increase your sweeping potential ten-fold with Swords Dance over AncientPower on Tangrowth. With Exeggutor blowing up on Shaymin or other problems for Tangrowth, he can probably win the match with one Swords Dance under his belt.
Okay on Arcanine, but ScarfPhlosion is there. It would require some reworking of the team to put him in here, but that 337.5 (150 x STAB x Sun) base power move is tough to pass up. If you were to use him. I would make Jumpluff your lead and drop Poy2 while keeping Uxie for Stealth Rock. Still with no way to stop Stealth Rock at the moment, Arcanine seems great and deadly in the sun.
Primeape definitely needs to drop Ice Punch for Stone Edge. It still hits flyers, but most importantly, hits Moltres who falls most of your team.
Congrats on a well made team and good luck with it.

With Vileplume's slot, I would consider Exeggutor or Shiftry. The point if a weather team (outside of hail) is to overhelm the opponent. You are looking for bulk in your weather changers, not sweepers. Both Eggy and Shiftry are great for blasting a hole in the opponent's team and Tangrowth is happy to pick up the pieces afterward. On Eggy, run Solarbeam/HP Ground/Psychic/Explosion and on Shiftry Solarbeam/Dark Pulse/HP Fire/Explosion. To use them, get them in with the sun up and start sweeping. When they send out something you can't kill in 1-2 shots, explode because it is very likely that would be Tangrowth's counter as well. I would prefer Eggy because he has useful resistances to spam like a resistance to Fighting.
I use Vileplume also for Toxic Spikes absorb. I'm not sure that I can handle with this team Toxic Spikes on really heavy stall, so I'm not sure about Exeggcutor or Shiftry. But I'll try them, in the past I used Exeggcutor in my OU Sunny Day team and it worked. So I guess it'll work here. Anyway, there's always Victreebel to try if neccesary. But I'm going to try both of them.

I believe AncientPower on Tangrowth is useless filler. It hits Moltres. Period. You increase your sweeping potential ten-fold with Swords Dance over AncientPower on Tangrowth. With Exeggutor blowing up on Shaymin or other problems for Tangrowth, he can probably win the match with one Swords Dance under his belt.
I agree, Swords Dance sounds appealing. And with it Tangrowth may sweep quite easy. Ok, this sounds good enough.

Okay on Arcanine, but ScarfPhlosion is there. It would require some reworking of the team to put him in here, but that 337.5 (150 x STAB x Sun) base power move is tough to pass up. If you were to use him. I would make Jumpluff your lead and drop Poy2 while keeping Uxie for Stealth Rock. Still with no way to stop Stealth Rock at the moment, Arcanine seems great and deadly in the sun.
I would prefer to use SpecsTyphlosion for total domination and killing most Milotics in two shots with Eruption sounds really beastly. And Typhlosion is fast enough even without Scarf. But I guess I prefer to just create new team based on Sun, I don't want to totally rebuilt this one and Typhlosion really needs support from other members and it likes Rapid Spin, which I can't put here without drastic changes. But yeah, it sounds really appealing and I remember facing SpecsTyphlosion under sun. It's a BEAST.

Primeape definitely needs to drop Ice Punch for Stone Edge. It still hits flyers, but most importantly, hits Moltres who falls most of your team.
Congrats on a well made team and good luck with it.
Ok, you convinced me enough. I'm going to change Ice Punch for Stone Edge. And thanks for your nice words.

Pory2 is a great Sunny Day set up. I would keep Leftovers and Trace for the Flash Fire, that was a good catch I hadn't thought of :)
With only 3 Sunny Day users I prefer to stay with Heat Rock. Thanks to Recover Pory2 lack of Leftovers doesn't hurt that much. And Pory2 being the bulkiest user of it in my team needs to guarrantee as much Sunny Day rounds as possible. But I'll try to use Leftovers.

Thanks for your rate, some advices were really usefull. Any other ideas ?

Last bump.

Few changes: Changed Vileplume on Shiftry (Sunny Day/Solarbeam/Explosion/HP Fire), Primeape right now has Stone Edge and Tangrowth uses Swords Dance in AncientPower spot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)