ORAS LC Jack of All Trades, Master at None

Gummy

...three, smiles go for miles!
Hello! I'm Gummysaur, I've been dabbling in and out of the LC tier for quite a while now. I made an RMT around a year ago and I've made a few changes to my team. The core is mostly the same, but I'm sure the tier has changed since then and I'd like another opinion.

(edit 7/27/16: i've updated the rmt with new movesets and teammates, but since the team structure is still mostly the same i didn't want to make an entirely new thread. hope thats ok!)

The Squad

replaced:

Magnemite @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 5
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Recycle
- Hidden Power [Ground]

As much as I loved Ferroseed for being able to switch into practically anything, I love Magnemite's longevity and Fletchling check-iness more. Sturdy + Recycle is a dangerous combo, especially combined with the ability to use Volt Switch. He works incredibly well with Spritzee, being immune to poison and resisting steel. I do miss Ferroseed's ability to check Shellder, Tirtouga, and Omanyte, but Magnemite can pull that off as well with a Volt Switch for Shellder and HP Ground for everything else. He also takes care of Chinchou, provided it doesn't carry HP Ground as well. The thing I lose most from chucking Ferroseed is that my team can no longer set rocks.

Carvahna @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

I feel a bit cheap using Carvahna. It's an absolute beast (provided the opponent doesn't have priority). Protect is obvious, it gives a free speed boost. Waterfall and Crunch are powerful STAB attacks that can OHKO nearly anything that doesn't resist it. Aqua Jet cleans up any pokemon that Carvahna couldn't quite finish off, and is good as a last-resort move if Carvahna is either about to faint or is dead weight for the rest of the match.

Ponyta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 Atk / 156 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Wild Charge

Ponyta is arguably the best fire-type in the tier, with good bulk and great speed. Flare Blitz is powerful STAB, Morning Sun is reliable recovery, Will-O-Wisp not only stops physical attackers in their tracks but is good when you're playing Sucker Punch mindgames with Pawniard, and Wild Charge is there to at least poke a hole in things that aren't touched by Flare Blitz. It's the simple, everyday Ponyta set, I don't know what else to say about it.

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 116 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpDef
Nature: Impish
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- Defog
- Roost

The oddball. Vullaby is fun to use, however, with its STAB Brave Bird and Knock Off. Immune to Psychic, it's a good switch-in on Psychic types. It's EVs and Eviolite let it survive a Dazzling Gleam or Stone Edge from Abra or Archen respectively. It's also the only team member that can get rid of entry hazards. It also totes reliable recovery in Roost. My only wonder is if I should give it its hidden ability, Weak Armor; while raising his sweeping capability with Brave Bird, it defeats the purpose of being a mixed tank/sweeper combo.

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Nature: Bold
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

Spritzee is essentially Ferroseed's replacement, more so than Magnemite. She can take literally any hit that isn't super effective, so she's a very reliable switch-in. Unaffected by Taunt, she can easily set up a Wish for herself or to pass onto others. She completely walls Timburr and Mienfoo. Aromatherapy is an awesome move to have as well, taking care of any status conditions that may hinder the team.

Mienfoo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- U-turn

The wincon himself, Scarf Mienfoo is dangerous, to put it simply. HJK decimates Pawniard and all the common Rock-types like Onix, Dwebble, and Drilbur. Knock Off takes care of Gastly and Abra on switch-in. Drain Punch is easy recovery and U-Turn activates Regenerator. He can lure out pokemon like Archen and hit them with HJK. The only problem with this guy is when HJK misses, which is a little ridiculously often considering its a 10% chance, but I digress. That's just Pokemon itself, not Mienfoo.

In Summary!

This team is designed to be adaptable to the foe's team. A tanky team sometimes fails if the opponent has anything that can PP-stall; a hyper-offensive team can fail if the opponent has pokemon with powerful priority. This team is designed to do both; take at least one hit (unless you're Carvahna) and go back as hard as it can before falling. Help is appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there I really like your team structure, but some EVs spread are completely wrong, and you have some problem dealing with Swords Dance Fletchling if it manages to get at +2 and Ferroseed is weakened enough.
  • First I reccomend you to run Baton Pass over Fake Out on Mienfoo because this will give you a way to pass boosts to other teammates, which will appreciate the pass a lot (Bunnelby and Carvanha at +2 are absolute monsters) and you won't lose momentum. Then an EVs spread of 76 HP / 76 Atk / 116 Def / 196 SpD with an Impish Nature will give Mienfoo a much better bulk in order to pass boosts better.
  • On Ferroseed move 36 EVs from Attack to Speed in order to increase the speed stat of 1, and these EVs didn't do anything in Attack anyway.
  • On Carvanha I suggest you to run Aqua Jet over Destiny Bond, with this change you will be able to clean in late game againist some priority users like Fletchlinder, Timburr, and Pawniard. Destiny Bond is a cool move on Carvanha but it works better on teams that want to remove some threats like Fairy and Fighting types, but Aqua Jet can work better on this team because of the boosts Mienfoo passes. Also lower the HP IVs to 0 in order to reach a stat of 19 and take less recoil from the Life Orb, which is cool :)
  • On Larvesta use an EVs spread of 76 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD / 36 Spe in order to check some physical threats better, and with the EVs spread you were using you were wasting many EVs. An Impish Nature will help Larvest in its work of checking things.
  • Now I'm kinda reluctant on what to do with Bunnelby, because even if it appreciates the boosts Mienfoo passes it makes you weak to fighting types as you have 3 weakness and a single resist which is x4 weak to Stealth Rock. So the roads you can follow are 2:
    • Keep Bunnelby, with a Jolly Nature so it can work better because it will be faster of scarf Magnemite or Tirtouga at +2 (unless it's jolly o_o). Also Earthquake over Quick Attack can be a change you might appreciate so you can hit harder Steel and Rock types.
    • Use Snubbul over Bunnelby. This is the only change that came to my mind. Snubbul give you a nice fighting resist, a good cleric and something that can still abuse of the SD pass because of his good coverage and decent attack. With this unluckily your team became slower but you should be able to deal with faster threats good anyway. With this change you will also have a decent Fletchling check, which you really need.
  • Another option change is Archen over Vullaby, with this change you will have some more problem againist Gastly and Abra, but you can still check them with Ferroseed, and Archen gives a solid Fletchlinder answer, while still also providing Defog support.
This is everything I have, I hope this helped you :) Good luck with everything and hang on the LC PS! chatroom if you need any help. Also for future reference if you need a set for a pokémon you can look at the smogdex so you can see what set work and you won't have problems with EVs spread anymore! You can also find a direct link to the pokémon's analysis in the teambuilder in the EVs box.

Snubbull @ Berry Juice
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Atk / 196 Def / 116 SpD / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thief
- Play Rough
- Earthquake / Fire Punch
- Heal Bell

Archen @ Eviolite
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 236 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Rock Slide
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Gummy

Thank you so much for the help! EV spreads always trip me up. Aqua Jet definitely sounds like a good idea too. Fletchling is a definite threat for my team, so I'll also consider the pokemon changes! Thanks again!

Gummy

bump -- i've edited the team members and movesets. The structure is pretty similar so I didn't want to clutter the boards with a new thread. thanks!

You should really keep Overcoat. It makes you immune to Stun Spore and Sleep Powder from Bellsprout, which makes it a true counter to the flower.

I'm partial to Zen Headbutt on Carvanha myself, which surprises switching-in Croagunk and Mienfoo with an OHKO.

Just a little thing, I think you should run Flame Charge over Wild Charge on Ponyta. It'll allow you to deal with Diglett more easily and while it does make Ponyta weaker to fire resists, it is usually very useful and can basically allow Ponyta to "set up". That's all really, very nice team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)