Monotype Jack of Blades

Hey, this is Stun, and this time I RMT'd a Dragon Team that has been giving me success in tours as well as mild success on the ladder! I decided to make this because I noticed on Monotype's all-new Hub, we were lacking Dragon sample teams, with the same one being posted for a year+ (not to mention it's begun to become a bit outdated in our current metagame). That being said, I decided to pull out my own that I've been working on for some time now. This is a very bulky offensive team with a plethora of wallbreakers, making it relatively ease to switch around and sponge attacks, and prepare for late game sweeps a little easier. The name for this RMT derives from one of my all time favorite games, where the villian at the very end is fought as a dragonous beast, so I thought it would be fitting here. Without further ado, here's my team!

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 232 HP / 16 Atk / 188 Def / 68 SpA / 4 Spe
Lax Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Tail

This is the typical lead set used on most Dragon teams. The special attack EVs ensure a 2KO on Ferrothorn/Skarmory, without the need to run Fire Blast and risk misses, and get it up to 300 Attack, with the rest being put into HP and Defense. Dragon Tail allows it to phaze and prevent it from being boosted on (not to mention force your opponent to pivot randomly though mons, and hopefully take hazard damage). Rough Skin + Rocky Helmet punish Physical attackers, by dealing more than a 3rd of health, which is rather handy.

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Defog
- Recover

Latias was the Mega of choice, due to access to Defog, absurd bulk, and relative ease to boost. The EVs here give it enough speed to completely outpace max base 60s (Breloom especially), with the rest going into HP and Defense. Stored Power can literally 2KO almost anything after about 3 Calm Minds, reaching about 140 BP, STAB, and +3 Special Attack. It's bulk is also highly apreciated to keep it around as long as possible along with Recover, so you can ensure hazards stay off your side of the field. It is good to note, however, it is completely useless vs Dark types, and all Dark types must be taken out before it can deal any damage (and if your against a Dark team, its pretty much useless other than hazard control). Other than that, fantastic Mega to use!

Latios @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam / Hidden Power Fire

Choice Scarf Latios may seem silly at first, and for good reason because it's already naturally very fast, and you lose out on firepower without Life Orb or Choice Specs. However, with a Choice Scarf, its a phenomenal revenge killer, reaching one of the highest viable speed tiers possible! It tremendously helps vs opposing Dragon teams, and Cloyster especially! It's equipped with pretty good all-around coverage, so your sure to hit majority of the metagame outside of Steel with a fair amount of damage. It's a fantastic late game sweeper to have, hence why I took advantage of it and put it onto this team.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower

Dragonite is extremely valuable to have on Dragon teams, due to its amazing ability to take nearly any hit at full health, and provide a good form of priority. Here I opted for the Dragon Dance set over Choice Band, because it allows it to function as a secondary sweeper, not to mention after 1 Dragon Dance, it is just as strong s Choice Band, with a fair speed boost, for the loss of maybe one coverage attack. Lum Berry is used to ensure it doesn't get statused once, ruining its sweep or attempting to break Multiscale. Superpower is used over Earthquake to hit Air Balloon Heatran (and Steel in general), as well as Normal teams.

Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast / Draco Meteor / Iron Head

Kyurem is almost always obligatory to have, because it provides a reliable neutrality to Ice Attacks. Here I am taking complete advantage of that fact, and giving it an Assault Vest! This makes it incredibly bulky, and a very reliable Special Defensive Tank. Both of its offensive stats are still very strong, allowing it to dish a lot of damage. The EVs allow it to outspeed Bisharp, who would threaten Kyurem otherwise. The last slot of its move set, I personally prefer to run Focus Blast as a way to hit Steel types not Super Effective to Earth Power, as well as Ice types. However Iron Head can be used as a means to hit Fairy Types, or Draco Meteor as an incredibly strong Dragon STAB.

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Tyrantrum may seem like an odd choice for the final slot, however it is unbelievably strong! I was lacking a dedicated Physical Wallbreaker, so I resorted to him. Rock Head allows it to spam the strongest recoiless Head Smash in the game, with no penalties! It has the ability to 2KO even mons that resist rock attacks, which is a real testament to this guy's strength. Outrage paired with Choice Band is also mindlessly strong, with perfect accuracy, so you don't also have to risk the 20% chance of Head Smash missing. Superpower and Earthquake are for general coverage.

Threats:

Fairy Teams: This is something Dragon as a whole cannot do very much against. You might as well click x.

Mega Gardevoir is very threatening to this team. Your best bet is to save Dragonite's health as much as possible, so Extreme Speed at the very least 3KO's. Afterwards you can have Latios revenge kill later.

Other than that, there's nothing else that threatens it to the degree these 2 things do. Notable pokemon include Weavile, opposing Kyurem-Black, Cloyster (with Ice Shard), and Mega Medicham.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 232 HP / 16 Atk / 188 Def / 68 SpA / 4 Spe
Lax Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Tail

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Defog
- Recover

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower

Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Thank you for reading my RMT, and I hope you get good use out of my team!

Confluxx for helping me with this overhaul. Great guy, extremely active in the community, and a pretty chill guy to talk to.

scpinion to update the hub! But, in all seriousness, awesome RO, contributes more than one culd ever imagine, and incredibly personable to talk to. Thank you so much! :)

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey, nice team! I have a few suggestions that might help you out.

• 4 Spe --> 96 Spe ; 96 EVs in Speed lets you hit 264 which not only outspeeds Pokemon with base 70 Speed such as Bisharp and Breloom, but it also outspeeds Pokemon that creep those such as Mew and Zapdos.
  • Energy Ball --> Shadow Ball ; It looks like Mega Gardevoir literally 6-0's you, so without making too many changes to your team, putting Shadow Ball on Latios can at least help you get damage on it so you can hopefully revenge kill it with Dragonite afterwards.
  • 176 Spe --> 252 Spe ; With the current Speed stat you miss out on outspeeding stuff like Raikou and Starmie at +1, so I recommend you run max Speed so you can outspeed as many Pokemon as possible after setting up.
  • Assault Vest --> Life Orb ; Running an Assault Vest on Kyurem-B wastes its wallbreaking potential in my opinion so I would strongly recommend running Life Orb to increase its damage output and make it an amazing wallbreaker.
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 224 HP / 188 Def / 96 Spe
Lax Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Tail

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Iron Head / Roost

Hope I helped, good luck with the team!

Hey, nice team! I have a few suggestions that might help you out.

• 4 Spe --> 96 Spe ; 96 EVs in Speed lets you hit 264 which not only outspeeds Pokemon with base 70 Speed such as Bisharp and Breloom, but it also outspeeds Pokemon that creep those such as Mew and Zapdos.
  • Energy Ball --> Shadow Ball ; It looks like Mega Gardevoir literally 6-0's you, so without making too many changes to your team, putting Shadow Ball on Latios can at least help you get damage on it so you can hopefully revenge kill it with Dragonite afterwards.
  • 176 Spe --> 252 Spe ; With the current Speed stat you miss out on outspeeding stuff like Raikou and Starmie at +1, so I recommend you run max Speed so you can outspeed as many Pokemon as possible after setting up.
  • Assault Vest --> Life Orb ; Running an Assault Vest on Kyurem-B wastes its wallbreaking potential in my opinion so I would strongly recommend running Life Orb to increase its damage output and make it an amazing wallbreaker.
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 224 HP / 188 Def / 96 Spe
Lax Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Tail

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Iron Head / Roost

Hope I helped, good luck with the team!
These are some great suggestions! I really like all of them but Kyurem's. While it is a very good set, its already naturally strong, and I wanted to have a good Special Defensive sponge, especially for Ice Attacks. Thank you so much though man, I will definitely try these!

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist
Wouldn't a scarfed Tyrantrum be better? It helps handle your two biggest threats as well as outspeeding almost any ice mon bar ss cloyster.

252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Avalugg: 236-282 (60 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 214-253 (88.7 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 16 HP / 8 Def Mega Gardevoir: 327-385 (116.3 - 137%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Tyrantrum Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Medicham: 213-252 (81.6 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
No because I felt it would be more necessary to have it as a Physical Wallbreaker, which I was lacking. Not to mention, I'm already running Scarf Latios, and it isn't at a very optimal speed tier to abuse a Choice Scarf to the fullest and really make it a good enough revenge killer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)