ORAS OU Just Sit Down and Don't Die [OU Balance]

* Click the shiny cover art for neat music.*
ORAS is winding down, and with the Sun/Moon demo only a day or so away, it's only a matter of time until the dataminers get their mitts on the full data-dump and send the hype train into the heavens like that one scene in Dragon Quest 9.

Might as well post the only team I've made that I consider "almost always consistently good".

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

Clef + Chomp is a very standard, tried-and-true core that's lasted since the dawn of gen 6. It's changed a bit with multiple passing meta trends, but the meat of it still remains the same. For this instance, it's CM Toxic Clef + Lum SD Chomper. Clef handles opposing dragons and physical walls in general, while Garchomp outspeeds and stops most steels and wallbreakers aimed at Clef.

I have a hard-on for balance, as well as a weakness against opposing fairies and hard-hitting special attackers, so SpDef Skarm is the natural third option here. SR + Spikes never hurts, and Whirlwind is a great emergency move in case something dangerous starts setting up, like M-Slowbro or Reuniclus.

Any Dark-types with a method to beat Clefable, as well as some seriously beefy dragons like Char-X can still send that core to hell, so Heatran got thrown into the mix. More Steel-types always helps, and burning things never hurts. This team also has no way of keeping hazards off the field unless you pre-empt the setter, so Taunt is especially useful in this case.

Dark-types still suck, and give this team a hard time, namely Specs Hydreigon. The team also has no real answer to Fighting moves, especially if they run something that Skarmory can't stomach. To top it off, the team currently has no form of immediate, powerful hits, since Garchomp is best left for the lategame. CB Azu helps me against the Fighting weakness, and a little bit against the Water weakness (bar stupid Scald), while giving me priority against faster threats and a solid wallbreaking presence.

The team still has a water weakness, and has a lot of trouble against electrics. It also doesn't have a mega. Mega Latias fits the role well, because the rest of the team can handle Dark-types and Dragon-types for it, while Latias beats most CM users without resorting to Toxic, resists Water and Electric moves, and generally adds another fat body to the team.

LA PANDILLA

ANALYSIS

treble n bass @
| Magic Guard | if you use alto n tenor, you're a nerd.
Calm | 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD

Calm Mind | press button to build wall.
Moonblast | at least dragons didn't dish out stat drops too smh
Toxic | it ain't yellow magic, but it'll have to do.
Soft-Boiled | ...where does it get the egg from?

I don't know how it'll look in Gen 7, but Clef is just good. It does what you want it to do, and it does that more consistently than almost any other 'mon in the game. With things like Specs Hydreigon and Vincune making the rounds, Clefable still manages to keep its role as a mainstay in almost every team.

The EVs speak for themselves - it's the standard I-wanna-make-every-thundurus-cry spread. CM, Moonblast and Soft-Boiled are standard moves, so the only point of discussion here is Toxic. This used to be Stored Power, until I realized I wanted a better way of contending with non-Magic Guard CM sweepers, especially since I lost handily to Psyshock from M-Slowbro and the like. While Stored Power lets me handle Unaware Quag better, Toxic does largely the same thing and still cripples CM sweepers not named Suicune/Reuniclus/opposing Clefable.

quaker oatmeal @
| Rough Skin | enough fiber to shatter a toilet bowl.

Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Sneaky Pebbles | cutting a talonflame's hp bar in half = sneaky, apparently.
Outrage / Dragon Claw | dclaw is for pussies... but it's still pretty good.
Earthquake | who runs the world? ground-types!
Swords Dance | yes, i'd like to order two helpings of 'BTFO'.

Chomper used to be defensive on a really early iteration of the team, before I realized it was probably better in the meta as a sweeper (considering the really obvious lando-t uptick for the past couple months). Garchomp is just very good at handling the things that trouble Clef, like Heatran, while Clef handles things like Thundurus and M-Manectric that Garchomp can't take a hit from.

Moves are standard, EVs are standard, Lum Berry over Focus Sash / Yache because I'm using Outrage to beat everything up to M-Slowbro that aren't max/max Bold EV spreads. Considering Garchomp will either eat a Scald burn or get confused in the lategame sweep, it's best to have Lum on it to better facilitate that.

If you want a move that doesn't lock you in, or is better in general to hit Ground-immune things like Lando, you can opt to go with Dragon Claw. Do note this makes it a little harder to beat defensive CM sweepers, so be wary.

issa knife @
| Sturdy | not 21 of them though, that'd be too savage.

Careful | 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Roost | sit down, and don't die.
Spikes | place 2 layers, get another one absolutely free! (not really)
Whirlwind | setup sweeper? i don't see any setup sweepers here.
Iron Head | whoever came up with the idea for 'fairy wallbreakers' should be shot.

Skarm is Skarm. There's really not much to say about it other than the fact that it cock-blocks fairies and a large variety of special attackers alike. Spikes + SR lets Clefable deal more damage than it has any right to, and softens up the enemy team so that Garchomp can come out faster and clean house. Hazard stacking with Garchomp is a old and powerful strategy that's been used in everything from low ladder to WCoP, and this team definitely enjoys its presence.

Moves are standard, EVs are mostly standard except for 4 speed to speed-creep opposing Skarm and base 70 uninvested mons (whatever those may be). If Magnezone is a problem, then Shed Shell is a viable alternative, but the rest of the team really shouldn't have that much trouble with it. Just be careful if you see one in team preview.

hot cream @
| Flash Fire | like a chocolate fondue, except it's lava and you're dying.

Timid | 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Lava Plume | 30% chance for barn.
Earth Power | heatran vs heatran? not for long.
Taunt | 'come at me, bro, i bet you don't even - oh wait that's an earthquake'
Will-O-Wisp | 100% chance for barn. (85% of the time)

Heatran + Clef is also another core that comes from the early days of XY, alongside VenuTran. Since Garchomp is an offensive spread, it can't deal very well with things like Bisharp, M-Scizor, Breloom and sometimes opposing Heatran if it really cannot risk a burn just yet. While Heatran doesn't seem to solve that problem at all in theory, it can actually do so with Will-O-Wisp. WispTran forgoes Toxic (since Clef has it) to better check physical attackers that Garchomp can't deal with since it's not rocking a defensive set.

EVs are the standard fast support variety, and the moves simply facilitate for the most burn chance I can squeeze onto any one 'mon + EPower for Char-X and electrics + Taunt for general stallbreaking. M-Latias should be your main answer against electrics, but don't be afraid to fire off an Earth Power if the opportunity is right.

marill streep @
| Huge Power | tbh, i don't think i've seen any of her movies.

Adamant | 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Aqua Jet | water move 1.
Waterfall | water move 2.
Play Rough | kill-things-that-resist-water move.
Superpower | fuck-ferrothorn move.

Azumarill makes it onto the team by sheer virtue of two facts - this team is weak as sin if chomper's gone, and water/fairy typing covers the weaknesses of this team very well (case in point, specs hydreigon). While it's not the best answer to Scald spammers like Keldeo, it can still pull its weight against faster threats and walls alike with its solid priority and generally awesome move in Play Rough. Just like Char-X + Azumarill, the bunny pairs up well with a Dragon like Garchomp due to its ability to sponge Ice-type moves and general punishment, while forcing a switch into (hopefully) a field full of rocks and spikes.

EVs are standard, moves are standard... really, the only thing not standard would be its nickname, maybe.

little green @
| Levitate | my name is dende.

Timid | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Calm Mind | 150 base spdef with calm mind, what can go wrong?
Recover | again, just sit down and don't die.
Psyshock | cm wars are for pussies.
Surf | when in doubt, throw water at the problem.

This team still has no answer for bullshit mindless scald spam and speedy electric types, as well as no mega at all. M-Lati fulfills this role by beating non-Roar variants of Suicune (whereas Roar variants can be phased out by things like Skarm) as well as Keldeo and electrics in general. It also serves as a tertiary wincon if Clef and Chomper are somehow gone as well.

Standard spread, standard moveset, but be careful of trying to beat M-Slowbro in a CM war. Protip, you can't. You'd need Stored Power for that, and it's not particularly great.

Side note, please be careful against NP Thundurus. Latias and Clef are your main answers against it, and even they can be taken down, so don't screw it up and you'll be okay. Opposing MG CM Clef can be annoying, so make sure Heatran and Skarm are healthy enough to keep it down.

EL FIN

s/o Littlelucario and Finchinator for helping fine-tune this.

IMPORTABLE
treble n bass (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled

quaker oatmeal (Garchomp) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance

issa knife (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

hot cream (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

marill streep (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

little green (Latias-Mega) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Surf

REPLAYS

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-458608783 : Played by DeltaRott when I shilled the team out on discord :^) . This displays an M-Slowbro match and the various ways this team can circumvent it.

My own replays will be coming whenever my midterms are done, which isn't for a good long while.

Last edited:
Nice team you got there. I absolutely love CM M-Latias and glad to see that other people use it too. However, I notice the team has trouble with Gengar (no switch in, Sub + 3 Attacks set just runs rampant) and TG Manaphy (Scald + Ice Beam + Energy Ball 6-0 the team). My suggestion would be to change Azumarill into Thundurus-I to help deal with the aforementioned threats.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave​

Thundurus outspeeds gengar and offers a reliable way to revenge kill it. Thunder Wave helps vs Zard X as Azumarill is removed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)