ORAS NU Kang 'n Calamari

Kang 'n Calamari
OR/AS NU RMT

INTRODUCTION

Hi friends, this is Kevin - Noble DAB. I've been a long time Pokemon fan and recently decided to get into the competitive scene. I wanted to start in a lower tier to start out with and after stumbling across Kiyo's YouTube channel I was pretty convinced to start in NU. For the past couple months I've been trying to learn the metagame on my own by using sample teams and such. I really doubted my teambuilding skills since so much thought goes into building the "ideal" team. I finally decided to give it a shot and the team has been doing decent, it's a bit weak to certain mons, but it's situational. The team also looks disturbingly familiar I feel as if I've seen a similar variation of it, nontheless enjoy!

TEAM_DEVELOPMENT

After trying multiple playstyles I found I quickly became a fan of hazard stack and Kangaskhan, I'm not sure how well this playstyle works higher on the ladder, but it's been extremely fun. Kangaskhan's natural bulk up and good physical attack as well as access to Scrappy makes it appealing.

Garbodor is one of the best - if not best spike stacker in the tier with access to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Garbodor also has a slight offense presence to it so it doesn't become complete set up fodder.

I needed Stealth Rocks support to work in conjunction with Spikes. I had originally gone Sash Lead Archeops, but it seemed too expendable. I decided to opt for Steelix with Sturdy it practically guarantees a Stealth Rock.

Rotom serves as a spin blocker. The team itself is kind of slow and Scarf Rotom offers momentum with Volt Switch and possibly cripple foes by tricking them a Choice Scarf. However, against more offensive teams I find myself holding onto the Choice Scarf. I played around with Mismagius as well with Taunt support to prevent Defog. Rotom punishes Defoggers with exception of Skuntank.

Defog is rather tricky to deal with since it really be blocked. I wanted something at the very least would somehow benefit from hazards being Defogged away. Malamar is also an extremely solid win con. and status absorber.

Lastly I needed some kind of hazard control for my team. Defog doesn't quite work due to the nature of the team and the reliance on hazard stacking. AV Hitmonchan seemed pretty solid and sort of serves as a special tank for the team.

DETAILED_ANALYSIS

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf | Scrappy
Adamant | 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Fake Out
Double-Edge
Earthquake
• Sucker Punch

• overview:

I covered briefly on Kangaskhan during the teambuilding process. Kangaskhan's good natural bulk allows it to tank a hit in the neutral and normal is just a pretty balanced typing with one weakness to fighting and an immunity to ghost. Access to Scrappy let's Kangaskhan take on ghost types which would otherwise wall normal types. Adamant nature is preferred since Kang relies heavily on priority Fake Out and you want to make the most of it. Kangaskhan was what the team was built around and supporting; the set is also really standard. I don't really know what else to say.
    _
  • set details:

Silk Scarf gives Kangaskhan a boost to it's normal stabs Fake Out and Double-Edge. Due to Scrappy Double-Edge is pretty "safe" to spam after checks are gone now that ghost is ignored. Fake Out is great utility just to get off damage and break sashes if hazards are not yet up. Trick Room and Weather seem to be running around in NU Fake Out will allow you to stall out one turn. Fake Out is practically free damage after Kang switches in. Double-Edge is the main stab move, and will put a dent in anything that doesn't resist it. Earthquake let's you to hit Aggron for super effective damage, as well as take on opposing Garbodor without suffering from Rocky Helmet or Aftermath. Sucker Punch is Kangaskhan's second priority move. Sucker Punch, to my experience, is pretty mind game heavy so I'm kind of reluctant to ever use it on fear the opponent will set up or status Kangaskhan. It works extremely well with Fake Out regardless and has that clutch factor if you're successful with it.
    _
  • alternative options:

Facade can be used over Double-Edge, it's pretty situational however most teams will have at least one status inducing mon. Having Facade allows Kangaskhan to be a second status absorber. Lum Berry may also be something to try, but I'm not too sure how viable of a set that would be, and you're missing the Silk Scarf boost on Fake Outs. Extra HP EVs also make Kangaskhan even more bulky, but you would want that speed so slower threats don't outspeed.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet | Aftermath
Impish | 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Gunk Shot
Spikes
Toxic Spikes
Seed Bomb

• overview:

Standard set once again. Garbodor supports Kangaskhan with Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and one of the only mons in NU with access to both. Rocky Helmet in combination with great defenses allow Garbodor to punish physical attackers. Aftermath makes the opponent lose 1/4 the total HP if Garbodor is knocked out by a contacting move, thus bringing them further in range for Kangaskhan. Garbodor also has offensive presence due to it's access to stab Gunk Shot. With Gunk Shot's 30% chance to poison you can usually fire one off pretty safely. Impish nature to increase Garbodor's physical bulk to better take on physical hitters.
    _
  • set details:

Gunk Shot is Garbodors go to stab. With a relatively high percent chance to poison your pretty safe going for one even on resisted mons. 80% accuracy should not be too problematic, but Pokemon is a game of emotions sometimes. Spikes is meant to be used in conjunction with Stealth Rocks for non grounded foes. Having a mon take 16%-25% just from switching in is really nice. I'm usually pretty modest with Spikes usually only getting one layer or two if potential Defog is coming. Toxic Spike is really neat utility that can be used if the opponent does not have a poison type. One layer is good since regular poison deals more damage the first two turns. Seed Bomb is more specific for this team as it cannot really touch Gastrodon otherwise, unless I can cripple it with Rotom.
    _
  • alternative options:

I've seen people run Weak Armor, but it opens you up to incoming priority. The final move slot can really be filler for what your team is lacking - Seed Bomb in this case. Drain Punch is rather good for hitting Aggron. Explosion can also be used to block Defog. Haze is pretty neat utility to counter set up sweepers.

Steelix @ Leftovers | Sturdy
Adamant | 224 HP / 124 Atk / 140 SpD / 20 Spe
Stealth Rocks
Earthquake
Heavy Slam
Toxic

• overview:

Steelix is the team's Stealth Rocker. I really enjoy how bulky of a mon it is on the physical side. Having Sturdy ensures I get rocks up assuming it's round one. Steelix can dish damage right back having access to strong stab in Earthquake and Heavy Slam. Steel was nerfed in the sixth generation, but regardless it's still a very solid defensive typing. Leftovers recovery unfortunately is the only recovery Steelix gets unfortunately - bar Rest. Sturdy is the preferred ability and should be kept intact to strike back at threatening mons. Adamant nature is preferred since Steelix has over 400 defense in the neutral, Adamant will give it some offensive presence.
    _
  • set details:

I admit I sort of bandwagoned on the EV spread. The particular spread is from Orphic. It's only slightly different than the one posted on Smogon, but it's been working. I believe it has to do with having optimal Leftovers recovery; I'm probably wrong. For the most part standard except the extra speed EV. Stealth Rock is probably one of the best moves in the game. Also seeing how the team does not have a switch in to fire it's nice to wear those mons down. Earthquake is very nice stab hitting grounded foes in the neutral for good damage. Heavy Slam offers a secondary stab hitting what Earthquake cannot. Heavy Slam also breaks Mega Audino to an extent if it isn't packing fire coverage and Steelix is kept healthy. Toxic is for bulky annoying mons with reliable recovery.
    _
  • alternative options:

Given the nature of the team, Roar could be very good to shuffle the opponent so they get hit by Spikes and Stealth Rocks. Roar also stops Steelix from becoming set up fodder allowing it to phase out a mon setting up. You could take advantage of Study and run Custap Berry Explosion to block Defog and possibly take a mon down with you or weaken for Kang.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf | Levitate
Timid | 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
ivs: 0 Atk
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Trick

• overview:

Rotom gives some speed to the team. The set is the standard Choice Scarf set. With the absence of ground types and Lanturn, Rotom can freely Volt Switch around a team and Scarf Rotom is pretty good at forcing switches. Rotom acts as the spin blocker so it does get really pressured very quickly also being the teams only special attacker. I found I am forced to make aggressive doubles with Rotom to avoid it being choice locked or pursuit trapped. Trick is nice to cripple mons with, but Rotom really needs the added speed. Levitate makes immune to ground type moves that would otherwise be super effective in addition Rotom isn't hindered by Sticky Web. Timid nature let's you outspeed other scarfers in lower speed tiers.
    _
  • set details:

Standard spread of max speed and max special attack. Volt Switch for the momentum. Lategame you can usually lock yourself into Thunderbolt once all checks have been removed from play. Shadow Ball is nice stab allowing Rotom to hitting psychic types such as Claydol. Scarf Rotom also outspeeds +1 Vivillion which can easily sleep powder and proceed to set up on me since I have no sleep powder blocker. Trick is to cripple annoying mons such as Gastrodon.
    _
  • alternative options:

I'm a really big fan of Colbur Berry Wisp + 3 Attacks. It allows you to switch into one Knock Off from Hariyama burn it (I was told most Hariyamas are AV + Thick Fat). Colbur Berry sacrifices speed for more versatility. On this team in particular the extra speed may be more handy. I've also seen Will-O-Wisp on the Scarf set, but I probably could not make that work.

Malamar @ Leftovers | Contrary
Careful | 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Superpower
Knock Off
Rest
Sleep Talk

• overview:

Malamar was added to the team was a Defog blocker and it's slowly becoming one of my favorite mons. Malamar is a very solid win con. for the team and works quite well with Garbodor tanking U-Turns. The combination of Contrary and Superpower is very nice making Malamar more bulky each time you use it. You lose nothing from going for Knock Off on a switch in most of the time. With the +1 evasion from Defog, Malamar becomes extremely threatening on the chance of a whiff. Malamar does get stopped by Haze and Clear Smog, as well as the phasing moves. It isn't the most reliable switch in to special moves, but I found it can hold it's own at times. Due to Rest and Sleep Talk Malamar doesn't really mind burns and can continue setting up.
    _
  • set details:

Superpower works in conjunction with Contrary boosting attack and defense each time the move is used. Knock Off is stab and another one of the top moves in the game. Knock Off is rather free eighty percent of the time and the utility offered in removing items is great. Rest allows Malamar to heal up to full while healing status and combined with Sleep Talk can make Malamar threatening, though a bit of luck is involved on Sleep Talk rolls.
    _
  • alternative options:

You can opt for more speed and attack on a Resto Chesto set, and replace Sleep Talk with Psycho Cut allowing you to hit Weezing and Garbodor for considerably more damage. Trick Room is a fun option that can be used and I've been testing that out. However, Rest Talk is probably the most forgiving set in terms of gameplay.

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest | Iron Fist
Adamant | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Drain Punch
Mach Punch
Rapid Spin
Ice Punch Stone Edge

• overview:

Hitmonchan was the spinner of choice for the team. Though easily walled by bulky psychics Hitmonchan does pretty well in supporting the team. Mons that resist fighting can be chipped away at upon switch in with Iron Fist boosted for Kangaskhan. Hitmonchan also works pretty well with Malamar while being cautious of Signal Beam. Assault Vest was the item of choice to make use of Hitmonchans already high special defense. Drain Punch offers semi reliable recovery for Hitmonchan. Adamant nature is preferred to hit harder and since you really won't outspeed much with Jolly. Hitmonchan is also my answer for Pyroar as Mach Punch OHKOs after rocks.
    _
  • in-depth analysis:

Drain Punch recovers HP previously lost by Hitmonchan, though Hitmonchan probably can't eat most physical hits. Priority stab Iron Fist boosted Mach Punch is great in picking off weakened mons when they switch in, assuming spikes and rocks are still on the field. Ice Punch allows you to mons who resist fighting for decent damage chipping away at their health. Rapid Spin is essential as it gets rid of hazards on my side of the field while sparing my own, but it can be blocked if the opponent has a ghost type.
    _
  • alternative options:

Life Orb Hitmonchan with the same moveset works just as well and hits a bit harder. Drain Punch with Life Orb wears down Hitmonchan less quickly as opposed to a Life Orb mon with no recovery, but you do take the loss in special defense. Close Combat is more raw power but less longevity and Hitmonchan really needs to be kept around to spin.
THREATLIST
-Charizard: I have no real switch in to the coverage this thing gets. My only hope is to force rocks to stay up and either keep scarf rotom around or Kangaskhan shenanigans
-Rain: An unfavorable match-up but it may be because of my match-up unfamiliarity.
-Dual Dance Rhydon: I just realized this thing has a lot of fun against the team there isn't much to be done
-More to come as I work with the team more.

POSTFACE

I apologize if the information provided got rather bad after a while. I did this RMT late at night and really just wanted an opinion on how to make it more optimal. This was the first team I sort of tried to build on my own it's not really the best but I've had some success on it. I'm also not really the best yet at explaining my thought processes, hopefully I provided enough information.

IMPORTABLE

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Seed Bomb

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 124 Atk / 140 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
One thing you can try to limit the amount of things zard can come in on is running Stone Edge > Ice Punch on hitmonchan. Edge still manages to hit ghost types and has an added bonus of hitting defoggers and the aforementioned charizard. Not much else to suggest since this is a pretty standard take on Kanga + Toxic Spikes, although I am curious as to how you struggle versus rain with this team. spike stack like this tends to have a pretty favorable matchup versus most weather teams in the tier. In any case, hope my small suggestion can help. Good job on the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)