OU Kartana

[OVERVIEW]
* Kartana's massive Attack stat is its selling point; it can beat even those that resist its moves after activating Beast Boost.
* Kartana is a ridiculous wallbreaker, primarily due to its STAB moves hitting the three relevant Unaware users in the tier, Quagsire, Pyukumuku, and Clefable, for supereffective damage.
* It has excellent coverage in Sacred Sword and can use Z-Moves to choose its counters.
* However, its special bulk is pathetic, making it KOed by resisted hits such as Tapu Koko's Thunderbolt, Latios's Draco Meteor, and Greninja's Hydro Pump.
* Base 109 Speed, while great, still leaves it outpaced by the likes of Gengar, Mega Metagross, and others.
* It forfeits a good matchup against bulkier or more offensive teams depending on its item.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Leaf Blade
move 3: Smart Strike
move 4: Sacred Sword
item: Fightinium Z / Steelium Z
ability: Beast Boost
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Leaf Blade is Kartana's primary STAB move and strongest attack with which to beat down Pokemon such as Toxapex and Sableye after a Swords Dance boost.
* Smart Strike has great neutral coverage and gives Kartana access to Corkscrew Crash if it's holding Steelium Z.
* Sacred Sword rounds off its coverage by hitting Ferrothorn, Celesteela, Scizor, and Magnezone for supereffective or neutral damage.
* Swords Dance is essential for Kartana to break bulkier teams and make sure its Z-move nets its KO.

Set Details
========

* A Jolly nature is mandatory in order for Kartana to use its awkward Speed tier to outpace Pokemon such as Terrakion, Keldeo, Garchomp, and Mega Pinsir. Maximum Speed EVs are needed to cover as many Pokemon as possible and Speed tie with opposing Kartana.
* Maximum Attack is preferred, as any investment in bulk is negligible due to its paper-thin Special Defense and already decent Defense.
* Fightinium Z is the preferred item, as it provides Kartana the ability to OHKO Pokemon that otherwise check it such as Skarmory, Celesteela, and Mega Metagross; this is something Life Orb can only dream of accomplishing.
* Steelium Z is an option, however, if your team struggles with physically defensive Tangrowth, Venusaur, and Alolan Marowak, as Kartana can OHKO all three at +2. In addition, it allows Kartana to OHKO Pokemon such as Mega Pinsir and Garchomp, making Kartana a solid revenge killer for wallbreakers that can otherwise get out of hand.

Usage Tips
========

* Kartana should setup on Pokemon it naturally forces out, such as Tapu Fini and Hippowdon.Its defensive typing allows it to also set up on Ferrothorn and non-Hidden Power Fire Amoonguss.
* Kartana's Z-Move should be used on Pokemon it cannot otherwise break such as Mega Venusaur and Skarmory, depending on its Z-Crystal. While one may be hesitant to use it, expecting a switch out, it is better not to predict because Kartana will have Beast Boost backing it up.
* Kartana should be your primary win condition against stall due to it easily beating both Unaware users.
* Kartana's matchup against offense is obviously its downfall, so it should spend its time trying to spam its STAB moves as soon it has an opportunity.

Team Options
========

* Pokemon that can get entry hazards up against stall are great teammates, as Stealth Rock and Spikes help to wear down Toxapex and break Dugtrio's Focus Sash, meaning it can no longer revenge kill Kartana. Greninja, Clefable, Heatran, and Excadrill fill this role.
* Offensive Water-types such as Keldeo, Sharpedo, Manaphy, Gyarados, Volcanion, and the aforementioned Greninja appreciate Kartana luring in and knocking out bulky Grass-types.
* Magnezone traps Celesteela, Scizor, Skarmory, and opposing Magnezone for Kartana to excel at its wallbreaking capabilities without having to use Fightinium Z.
* Kartana appreciates priority users that can mitigate its only decent Speed stat. Ash-Greninja, Weavile, and Zygarde-10% can pick off targets that Kartana weakens.
* Due to Kartana's low special bulk, Assault Vest Magearna and Tapu Fini are great partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Choice Scarf turns Kartana into a fast cleaner that can snowball very quickly with Beast Boost. However, as a revenge killer, it cannot do its job as it finds itself losing to Salamence, Mega Charizard X, and Volcarona. These are Pokemon that other Choice Scarf users such as Nihilego and Garchomp can take out with ease.
* Life Orb seems like a viable option, but it does not remedy the fact that it is still walled by Skarmory, Venusaur, and Tangrowth. Using a Z-Move to beat such targets makes Kartana much more threatening while not cutting into its longevity for a negligible boost.
* An Adrenaline Orb allows Kartana to take advantage of Landorus-T and proceed to sweep the opponent after a Swords Dance boost.
* Psycho Cut can be used to deal with weakened Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur, but it is far more situational than Night Slash and even Defog.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Special Attackers**: The most common set, Swords Dance, has counters based on its Z-Crystal, meaning revenge killing Kartana is the best way of dealing with it. Latios, Greninja, and Gengar all easily outpace Kartana and OHKO it with their strongest STAB moves.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Skarmory, Celesteela, Scizor, and Choice Scarf Heatran can switch in with little fear and then force Kartana out or regain momentum. The former three must watch out for All Out Pummeling, however.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur, and Tangrowth can deal with Kartana if Corkscrew Crash isn't available.

**Physically Defensive Volcarona**: If Stealth Rock is kept off the field, Volcarona is the best counter to Kartana in the tier due to it being able to Quiver Dance safely against Kartana and Roost off the damage from a +2 Corkscrew Crash. It may also burn Kartana with Flame Body if it decides to go for an attack.

Last edited:

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
in the overview you should probably include that Kartanna has a pretty weak offensive typing since there are only 3 notable types in OU it can hit for super-effective damage (water, ground, fairy, the other types it can for supereffective hit are rock and ice).

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Woah, also don't forget to add a slash for Night Slash in the SD set, since there are quite a few mons hit super effectively by it, and Dark is a great typing for neutral coverage.

BTW you should probably work on Jirachi too.

Is there really any point in throwing your last 4 EVs in SpD?
Is there anything you are now guaranteed to survive that you wouldn't otherwise?
Because if not, I can't really understand how you could justify SpD over Def or even HP.
If Kartana is hit by a special attack, it dies unless it's an uninvested resisted hit.

in the overview you should probably include that Kartanna has a pretty weak offensive typing since there are only 3 notable types in OU it can hit for super-effective damage (water, ground, fairy, the other types it can for supereffective hit are rock and ice).
i think you mean it suffers from low base power moves because its stabs don't hit much of the tier super effectively. sure, will add that. thanks.
Woah, also don't forget to add a slash for Night Slash in the SD set, since there are quite a few mons hit super effectively by it, and Dark is a great typing for neutral coverage.

BTW you should probably work on Jirachi too.
night slash is ass on sd. it won't be getting a slash or even a mention unless you can justify why.

yes, i will work on jirachi. don't rush me lol
Is there really any point in throwing your last 4 EVs in SpD?
Is there anything you are now guaranteed to survive that you wouldn't otherwise?
Because if not, I can't really understand how you could justify SpD over Def or even HP.
If Kartana is hit by a special attack, it dies unless it's an uninvested resisted hit.
252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kartana in Electric Terrain: 213-252 (82.2 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana in Electric Terrain: 211-249 (81.4 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

pretty big difference when investing in your weaker defense :0

252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kartana in Electric Terrain: 213-252 (82.2 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana in Electric Terrain: 211-249 (81.4 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

pretty big difference when investing in your weaker defense :0
From what I can tell, you have a somewhat increased chance to survive Tapu Koko's thunderbolt after Stealth Rock, a single layer of spikes, or Hail damage if the damage roll is high, or two layers of spikes or a single round of Life Orb recoil if the damage roll is low.
Still, it's SOMETHING, and from what I can tell boosting your physical defense doesn't offer the same, so thanks for those calculations.
It's also yet another reason why Life Orb Kartana is a bad idea.

Edit: Also, Synthesis may be worth mentioning in other options. It's not the best healing option in the world, but it's something at least.

night slash is ass on sd. it won't be getting a slash or even a mention unless you can justify why
It does cover some threats. Marowak, Lati twins, Necrosma, Jirachi, Metagross, Dhelmise, random psychic and ghost types like Uxie, Cresselia or Banette or something :/ it's not completely useless

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok first off the majority of the Pokemon you mentioned aren't getting anything close to an OU analysis. The only things mentioned that are getting OU analyses are Jirachi, Latios (Latias is too but it is pretty ass rn), Metagross, and Necrozma.

Secondly, three of these (Lati@s and Necrozma) are hit neutrally by Smart Strike which is still STAB and can be boosted via Corkscrew Crush and Swords Dance. Alolan Marowak has piss poor recovery and can be worn out, Metagross is still vulnerable to All-Out Pummeling if it takes prior damage to, and Jirachi is kind of uncommon at the moment.

Last edited:
* Kartana is a ridiculous wallbreaker, primarily due to its STAB moves hitting the two relevant Unaware users in the tier, Quagsire and Clefable, for super-effective damage.
Maybe add Pyukumuku on that list ?

You got me while I was editing to add something else w/e.

It does cover some threats. Marowak, Lati twins, Necrosma, Jirachi, Metagross, Dhelmise, random psychic and ghost types like Uxie, Cresselia or Banette or something :/ it's not completely useless
+2 252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias: 319-376 (87.6 - 103.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock > can outspeed and kill but aint surviving a hit so NS isnt relevant
+2 252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dhelmise: 211-250 (61.3 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock > aint doing anything relevant (Steel/Grass coverage is resisted and Shadow Claw aint a big threat with that defense stat.)
+2 252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 240-283 (54 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery > Can't do much.
Don't get me started on Uxie and Banette.
+2 252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Necrozma: 270-318 (67.8 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Its only relevant against wak and steel/psychic types who can threaten it. (Gross has Hammer Arm, Jirachi has Fire Punch.) And even then, Marowak is threatened with SR up : +2 252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Marowak-Alola: 127-150 (39.1 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, it only needs a bit of prior damages (like, to put him at 60% or so) and Kartana most likely wins the duel.

To elaborate:

Pyukumuku is not getting an OU analysis, so like Vertex said above "No."
Thanks for the heads up, a tad better than a simple no.

You put in the set details of the choice scarf set that it doesn't care about most priority, but couldn't this go pretty well in the overview? It's a pretty good reason for using Kartana on any set, and you can expand on it to say that it has naturally high defense and resists both aqua jet and bullet punch.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
A friend of me told me about this EV spread

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 19 Atk
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

I know, it's weird, but it lets Kartana to boost its speed via Beast Bost after a KO, it could be used in late game to make it hard to revenge kill, I'm not sure if this EV spread is worthy to be mentioned here

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
As I said, I know it's a weird option, but this unorthodox EV spread is just to make Beast boosts increases speed rather than attack, maybe I didn't explain my point, but if you think it's not worth to be mentioned, it's okay for me then

A friend of me told me about this EV spread

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 19 Atk
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

I know, it's weird, but it lets Kartana to boost its speed via Beast Bost after a KO, it could be used in late game to make it hard to revenge kill, I'm not sure if this EV spread is worthy to be mentioned here
timid you mean jolly right

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
timid you mean jolly right
The meme behind the set is Timid with 19 Attack IVs lowers Kartana's Attack one below its Speed - thus Beast Boost raising Speed instead of Attack.

In turn this makes you weak as shit, though. Hence why it is a bad meme.

Also in case anyone is wondering:

- No Timid Kartana. Anywhere. Outside of saying it is shit in OO. No further discussion on Timid Kartana please.

Last edited:
the damage diference isn't that much:
0- Atk Life Orb Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 187-220 (54.8 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 189-223 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 jolly is way better i know, but the sets work in a diferent way, the max atk is an awesome wallbreaker, that can demolish walls or weaken walls for a late game cleaner shine latter in The game, while The timid set is used to clean games late game, +2 timid will still KO/2KO a lot of shit. The best thing about Max atk is that with fightium-Z he can 6x0 ABR stall.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
the damage diference isn't that much:
0- Atk Life Orb Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 187-220 (54.8 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 189-223 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 jolly is way better i know, but the sets work in a diferent way, the max atk is an awesome wallbreaker, that can demolish walls or weaken walls for a late game cleaner shine latter in The game, while The timid set is used to clean games late game, +2 timid will still KO/2KO a lot of shit. The best thing about Max atk is that with fightium-Z he can 6x0 ABR stall.
please, just stop. Equating Life Orb damage to no-item damage is just stupid, the 10% HP cost on the Life Orb is very high. If you want a speed boosting snowball use Salamence or Celesteela, they're both very good in that role. Kartana is either a wallbreaker or scarf sweeper/revenge killer. It is simply inferior to other speed boosting sweepers.

please, just stop. Equating Life Orb damage to no-item damage is just stupid, the 10% HP cost on the Life Orb is very high. If you want a speed boosting snowball use Salamence or Celesteela, they're both very good in that role. Kartana is either a wallbreaker or scarf sweeper/revenge killer. It is simply inferior to other speed boosting sweepers.
i just calculated the best item on each set, if your going to use timid you need LO, but fightium/steelium is the best choice for max atk

Not to mention the fact that running Scarf will net you the speed you will gain from a KO with Timid Kartana and you'll get a free life orb boost if you manage to KO someone with Jolly set. The only difference is that Kartana will be stuck with a single move, but it doesnt matter when you can sweep with it.

EDIT: If you are running anything BUT Life Orb with Timid Kartana, then it might as well be not a cleaner so much as dead weight.

scarf kartana is a better revenge killer, and definetly can late-game clean some matches, but being able to switch moves and boost both atk and spe is way better to a late-game cleanner than being locked into a move.

Should Lucario be included in the team options of the second set? I don't think that Lucario should be named as the second idea of a teammate. I mean, Lucario isn't a OU staple anymore

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)