Kick the Meta in the Face (A UU RMT ver. 1.2)

EDITS IN ITALICS

Now version 1.2, wow!

Greetings Smogon, it's time for a UU RMT! Aren't you excited? Well you should be because here comes a team that's different from all those stall teams in the tier, Mienshao kicks the meta in the face and asserts its dominance. Welcome to the dawn of a new UU.

At a glance:

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Here comes our trusty lead, scarf Mienshao. The scarf variety I find to be much better than the more common fake out variant, due to it being the second fastest common scarfer in the tier. (outsped only by scarf crobat, who does considerably less damage and can be killed by basically anyone else in the team) Reckless gives Hi Jump Kick a ridiculous amount of damage, able to OHKO many threats not expecting it, including common pokemon such as Hydreigon and Darmanitan and take chunks off of whatever else switches into it. Stone edge for coverage against mainly Chandelure and Victini who can be OHKOed after stealth rock damage, and U-turn for momentum. Knock Off is here instead of Drain Punch for utility against walls. By far the most valuable member of the team, leads to scout and cleans up at the end, the full package.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 HP
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Next up is specs analytic Magnezone, replacing Specs Noivern for resident wall breaker slot. Noivern worked well in the team before, but the meta shift with the addition of previous OU mons prompted a switch to Magnezone who covers said mons better. Flash cannon eats fairies alive, thunderbolt is STAB, volt switch for momentum and free hits, and HP grass deals with those annoying Swamperts. With its ridiculous damage output and ability to maintain momentum, Magnezone has earned a place in the team.

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

It's Toxicroak, the really really really underrated pokemon! Seriously let's consider the meta of stall + fairy right now. Toxicroak handles both with impunity. Florges, the most common wall in the tier, becomes a free setup for Toxicroak due to its inability to 2HKO. Simply switch in, SD, and then poison jab if Florges stays. Walls and Stall teams anguish at Toxicroak's toxic immunity and substitute, and Mega Blastoise is reduced to a whimpering husk from dry skin. Many common walls in the tier are actually free setup bait for Toxicroak, and it can usually take out those looking to revenge kill with sucker punch. By far the best counter to fairies and walls, Toxicroak carves out a permanent spot in the team.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SDef /
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Ice Punch

Rhyperior has replaced Mega Aggron as the resident Stealth Rock setter.
Stealth rock support is crucial to dealing with threats such as Victini, and doubling as a very bulky threat doesn't hurt either. EQ and rock blast are STAB with rock blast also breaking subs, and ice punch is taken for ground types who think they can bully Rhyperior around. Also, Gligar is annoying, so screw that. With ice. 0 speed IVs because why not trick room teams still exist. Rhyperior fulfills and important role as electric type counter to the previously unchecked Magnezone, and earns his stay on the team.

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse

Good old Blastoise. Serving UU since Gen I, and for good reason too. Through several iterations of this team dating back to Gen V he and Mienshao have been the only constants. Now he becomes even more threatening with his mega evolution. He rapid spins, he toxics, he deals TONS OF DAMAGE, what more could you ask for? An all around solid support/tank/damage/whatever the hell else he does, Mega Blastoise's consistency makes him the mega evolution of choice for this team.

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Symbiosis
EVs: 20 SDef / 248 HP / 240 Def
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Florges is the queen of UU, reigning as THE special wall of the tier. Aromatherapy is much appreciated by especially Blastoise, and wish protect serve as nice recovery and scouting tools. Moonblast gives it something to do when taunted or faced with dragons and such. Don't ask me about the EV spread, someone told me it was optimal.

Threats Encountered (will be updated as they are found):

- Magnezone:
Wow this thing does a number to my team. My only special wall is weak to its STAB, and Aggron can't switch in due to analytic. If this thing has more than half health and I don't have Aggron or Mienshao it's game over. Probably the biggest hole in my team.
Rhyperior has since covered this threat. Takes HP grass like a boss and EQs for days. Requires some prediction, but Mienshao can also threaten it with HJK.

Last edited:
This is quite a solid team. That being said, I do notice a few major threats. To start, AV Tornadus-T can be a bitch to you, being quite difficult to take down especially with regen, and with it's great mixed weaponry it can be difficult for you to take down. Strong Electric types such as Mega-Manectric, Specs Magnezone, and the slightly less prominent Jolteon and Heliolisk all deal a major number to your team, and thus should be dealt with as well.

To start off, I would suggest Rhyperior over Mega Aggron. Not only does this completely resolve your electric weakness (Solid Rock means you can tank a weakened HP Grass and fire off a STAB EQ), but it also gives you a solid check to VoltTurn, who currently can be annoying for you to deal with. It's ability to break subs with Rock Blast, set up rocks, and check the electric types which could be annoying for you. It also takes down Tornadus-T more easily than Mega-Aggron, with a STAB rock blast.

Next, I would recommend changing Blastoise to Standard Mega-Blastoise. This is because standard blastoise is honestly a huge momentum suck for an offensive team like yours. Running 112 speed helps you beat max speed base 60's such as Magnezone, Empoleon, and Abomasnow. While these pokemon rarely run max speed, there are rare occasions which they do, and jumping them to smash them with an Aura Sphere is always nice. The most important thing is that Mega-Blastoise does not loosen the offensive pressure your team packs, thus letting you continue to hit tremendously hard and not lose any offensive momentum.

I would run U-Turn on Noivern, as even though it is Choice Specs, it is due to the nature of this item that it forces many switches. By capitalizing on this and gaining switch initiative, you can potentially bring the win towards your side.

Cool team! Hope I helped!

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 112 Spd / 252 SAtk / 144 HP
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump / Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 208 HP / 44 SDef / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast / Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

This is interesting because the rhyperior switch was actually the exact change I was thinking of making. Previously when I didn't have Toxicroak on the team I had used those two pokemon, and threw Aggron on there mainly to deal with fairies. Now that I have Toxicroak I'm going to implement that idea of yours, but will be keeping toxic on blastoise instead of aura sphere and running 252 HP due to having no other statuses. I doubt I'll be using U-turn much because I just prefer hitting whatever switches in with hurricane, usually getting at least 30% damage, but focus blast is mostly redundant anyways. Thanks for the help man.

0 Spe EVS on Rhyp.
On Blastoise, Aura Sphere>Toxic.
On your team, you have no real win condition. I would suggest Specs Analytic Magnezone>Toxicroak/Noivern,
Magnezone@Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVS:252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Flash Cannon
tl;dr
0 Spe EVS on Rhyperior
Mega-Blastoise: Aura Sphere>Toxic
SpecsZone> Toxicroak/Noivern

Yeah my bad on speed EVs. I'm not going to run aura sphere just because it's standard, I need toxic as a failsafe for any walls toxicroak can't deal with or if he dies. My win condition is mienshao HJKing everything. I don't find a need to mess up my team synergy when I don't have any problems closing out games.

That's not really the point of mienshao on this team. Your suggestion gives him an entirely different role that's different from what I want him to do. Please don't give suggestions like this that change the team unnecessarily and messes up the synergy while not having a particular purpose.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Not being negative but Rhyperior doesn't deal with Magnezone.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 208 HP / 44 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 483-571 (114.1 - 134.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Grass vs. 208 HP / 44 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 297-351 (70.2 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
The second calc is a scarfed HP Grass which does the same as Flash Cannon roughly. So after only a bit of residual damage that will usually come from setting up rocks or something like that Magnezone is guaranteed a kill pretty much every time it comes in even for the scarf variant which is almost never seen nowadays.

That being said, he can only really come in when you're choice-locked into a resisted hit or on Florges. He comes in on Florges all day and ruins your life but if you predict correctly and go for aggressive double switches you can really put the pressure on with Mienshao who forces Magnezone out with STAB High Jump Kicks. Or you could attempt to sub something out for perhaps a bulky Mega-Ampharos or something similar. Umbreon could also work over Florges providing a similar moveset while not hurting your synergy too bad. Umbreon is also a cold stop to Starmie who can muscle its way past Florges and do some good damage to the rest of your team.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Ability: Synchronize
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Moves:
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell / Toxic
-Foul Play

Hope I help, Magnezone is a real pain to deal with.

Yeah Rhyperior's not a hard counter but if I predict correctly I can switch in when he's locked on thunderbolt or volt turn, and yes Mienshao can come in for revenges. Something that was suggested way above with replacing noivern with magnezone is going to be put into effect now. I said before that I didn't think I needed Magnezone's coverage but with the new OU drops into UU I think Magnezone will be better in that slot.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm new to UU and all, but how do you deal with Nidoking?

The only way you seem to handle it is either to revenge it with Noivern, or Knock Off its LO with Mienshao which isn't enough.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I cant think of many issues on this team. i would recommend running 0 Atk IVs on Florges for obvious reasons. and for some reason ive been finding a lot of things that blastoise could kill with ice beam for some reason. i would recommend ice beam or aura sphere over toxic on mega blastoise just to kill more stuff.

I dont know if this will mess this up but maybe you could run Swampert over Rhyperior. it can still set up rocks, has a better defensive typing, access to scald, and has better special bulk.

THESE CALCS ARE MADE UP FOR THE SAKE OF SHOWING BULK!!! DO NOT ACTUALLY CONSIDER AS THEY ARE UTTERLY RIDICULOUS!!!

0 SpA Hydreigon Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rhyperior: 63-75 (14.5 - 17.2%) -- possible 6HKO

0 SpA Hydreigon Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 43-51 (10.6 - 12.6%) -- possible 8HKO

this may not do exactly what you want it to, but it might be worth considering. i know you have blastoise but hey, you know?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)