Pokémon Krookodile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Name
: Krookodile
Type: Ground / Dark
Ability:
Intimidate: Upon entering battle, the opponent’s Attack lowers one stage.
Moxie: Attack is raised by one stage when the Pokémon knocks out another Pokémon
Base Stats: 95 / 117 / 80 / 65 / 70 / 92

Notable Moves:
Knock Off
Earthquake
Pursuit
Stone Edge
Dragon Tail
Taunt
Stealth Rock
Toxic

Strengths:
  • Dark and Ghost resists are difficult to come by with the steel nerf.
  • STAB Knock Off, possibly one of the most useful utility attacks to have.
  • Intimidate and usable 95 / 70 physical defenses make him surprisingly bulky.
  • Wide utility movepool to improve his role as a team player.
  • Moxie allows Krookodile to function as a late-game cleaner.
Weaknesses:
  • Unfortunate defensive typing gives weaknesses to Fight, Fairy, Ice, Water, and Grass, all very common attacking types.
  • Lack of reliable recovery other than leftovers or rest-talk.
  • 92 speed is better than most defensive mons but is outpaced by many offensive ones.
  • Mediocre special bulk.
  • Encourages criminal behavior.

Krookodile is a forgotten relic from Generation V that has begun to prove itself in the sixth generation​
through a combination of several factors that contribute to its improved viability. The nerf of the steel defensive type makes having a dark and ghost resist quite useful, even moreso on a defensive pokemon that can take a hit and remain reasonably healthy. The buff of Knock Off to 97 base power when removing an item, coupled with usable attack, great physical defense with intimidate and STAB make Krookodile an excellent user of the move. This point is also bolstered by his ability to cause switches after the intimidate attack drop takes place. Simply switch in on a mon you force out and remove the item of their next teammate.

Krookodile is also blessed with a plethora of support options other than Knock Off, including Taunt,​
which is quite useful for defeating other defensive pokemon, letting him function as a potent stallbreaker. He can deprive defensive pokemon of both leftovers and their support moves with this deadly combination. Due to all of the switches that Krookodile will force, he can find ample time to set up Stealth Rock for his team, and also make use of Toxic to put potential switch-ins on a timer to wear them down and also Dragon Tail for shuffling enemy pokemon around, possibly racking up hazard or sandstorm damage or just phazing a dangerous threat out.

On the offensive side, Krookodile can instead opt for the Moxie ability to potentially clean​
a team of ailing pokemon in the late-game. Useful dual-STABs in Dark and Ground, coupled with 117 attack is more than enough to make him succeed in this role, and his effectiveness can be further improved by careful play: simply pursuit-trapping a very weak or dark-weak pokemon to get the Moxie rolling. 92 speed is certainly workable but Krookodile appreciates faster threatening pokemon being removed or crippled with a status before being brought out to do his janitorial duties.

It is worth mentioning however, that Krookodile suffers from a number of problems which offset his​
usefulness and must be considered when placing him onto a team. If used with synergistic teammates and played to his strengths, he will certainly be a useful addition, but he is not a general-purpose pokemon by any stretch of the imagination.

--------------Sets--------------

Defensive
Krookodile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Dragon Tail

This is probably Krookodile's most useful set in OU, allowing him potent effectiveness against defensive​
pokemon and the ability to strip enemies of their items. The EVs give maximum physical bulk coupled with Intimidate to allow more switch-in opportunities. Krookodile's Earthquake is a reliable STAB option that does hurt coming off of 117 attack, allowing him a secondary form of offense. The final slot should contain whichever support move your team will make the most use of.

Cleaner
Krookodile @ Dread Plate, Expert Belt, Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

This set aims to fulfill a more offensive role, picking off weakened and pursuit-weak pokemon and​
gathering up Moxie boosts along the way. The EV spread is to give Krookodile as much effectiveness as a late-game cleaner as possible, bolstering his 92 speed and maximizing his offensive power. The choice of item here depends on how you want to improve his attacking power. Crunch could be useful instead of Knock Off or Pursuit if you prefer more reliable power.

Rest Talk
Krookodile @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Knock Off
- Dragon Tail

Krookodile is capable of utilizing a Rest-Talk set with his impressive bulk and ability​
to tank dark and ghost-type attacks, resting off whatever damage he may acquire and shuffling the enemy team around while removing their items. This set is ideally paired with hazards to maximize the usefulness of Dragon Tail's forced switches and rack up passive damage.

All in-all, Krookodile is a fairly useful pokemon who, similar to Mandibuzz, received​
a massive improvement in usability with the metagame shifting in his favor. What do you guys think of him, perhaps you have tried a set of your own? Discuss teammates that are suitable for Krookodile and ways that he can be played to optimal effectiveness.

Last edited:
I think it can make a good lead

Evs:252hp/252atk/4spe
Adamant nature
Move 1: Taunt
Move 2: Stealth rock
Move 3: Knock off
Move 4: Earthquake

This set is good because you can taunt and remove the item of opposing leads. It can set up rocks. It is pretty bulky with max hp and intimidate. It can actually hit very hard unlike some other leads.

Also, put a Choice scarf on the cleaner set.

You might want to put Crunch as an option in the RestTalk set because you don't want to keep getting weak Knock offs.

There's not too much to talk about with Krookodile but here is my contribution :)

Last edited:
STAB Knock Off and Earthquake are brutal. With Intimidate he is Aegeslashe's natural enemy. max/max with Intimidate makes Sacred Sword a 3HKO always, and EQ laughs at Kings Shield. Having Knock Off and Dragon Tail on the same set causes brutal mind games with the enemy with hazards out. Switch and they get hit with Dragon Tail causing extra hazard damage, or have something lose their item. Terrakion and Lucario that would normally abuse Justified and switch into Knock Off dare not with Krookodile's EQ waiting in the wing. This could potentially be really brutal with Entei for example where both put massive switch pressure with Sacred Fire and Knock Off/Dragon Tail, not that they have the best type synergy though.

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Krookodile: 118-141 (29.9 - 35.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Krookodile is actually a good switch into Talonflame already spamming Brave Bird. Stone Edge will obviously take him out but Knock Off is a safe 2HKO as is with recoil factored as well as good against the potential switch. Rotom-W unfortunately has Hydro Pump and WoW. Fortunately you are still faster against minimum speed versions no matter what so if Krook is actually close to biting it getting rid of Rotom's Leftovers or Chesto Berry will be a good memento.

While Moxie can work, I think you're better off sticking with Gyarados or Salamence for that purpose. Better offensive movepools, Attack stats as well as Dragon Dance are definitely in their favor. Krook's defensive niche is its strong suit, being a great check to Aegeslash, Excadrill and Talonflame that don't spam U-Turn, and Tyranitar as well that don't carry Ice Beam. Knock Off/Earthquake/Dragon Tail and Stealth Rock/Taunt seems like a great set.

EDIT: Losedude, learn to edit your posts rather than double posts going forward if you need to add something, cool?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, the thing that i love so much about Krookodile is that it manages to keep SR up as long as he is on the field, because he either beats faster Defog/Rapid spin users with his STABs (Latias, Excadrill, Tentacruel, Latios, Starmie) or beats / Taunts slower ones (Mandibuzz, Scizor, Skarmory, Excadrill, Togekiss). Combine him with some strong offensive Pokemon or a Volt-turn chain, and it is incredibly easy to keep SR up for the majority of the game, hindering monsters such as Talonflame, Dragonite, Thundurus, Mega Pinsir, both Mega Char formes, and Kyurem-B, which is incredibly useful. Not only this, but it also finds a lot of switch-in chances with its great physical bulk, and countering one of the biggest threats in the metagame (Aegislash) is no small feat either. Finally STAB Knock Off is pure win.

tl;dr Ability to set and keep SR up + STAB Knock Off + Aegislash counter + amazing physical bulk pretty much sum this Pokemon up.

No Scarf Moxie set? Wasn't that his go-to set last gen? Even with things like gyarados with DDance scarf moxie at least deserves mention. How about:

Krookodile
Moxie
Adamant/Jolly@Choice Scarf
252 Atk 252 Spe 4 Def
Earthquake
Knock Off
Stone Edge
Crunch?

I'm sure there's something better for the 4th slot this just the first thing that came to mind.

tl;dr Ability to set and keep SR up + STAB Knock Off + Aegislash counter + amazing physical bulk pretty much sum this Pokemon up.
How is he an Aegislash counter, though? If Aegislash is currently in (and maybe even sweeping), it can hit you with a SE Sacred Sword.

How is he an Aegislash counter, though? If Aegislash is currently in (and maybe even sweeping), it can hit you with a SE Sacred Sword.
-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Krookodile: 174-205 (44.1 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

You'll be fine in the majority of circumstances.

Also, just because a set was good last gen doesn't mean its appropriate or well suited for this one. Defensive Krook is a particularly unique niche and in the current meta something of value. There are few competently defensive Dark types outside of SpD Tyranitar.

-1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 192-228 (57.8 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Arguably not even the defensive set listed in the OP which if at +1:

+1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Krookodile: 298-352 (75.6 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Krookodile: 50-59 (12.6 - 14.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Not even guaranteed with say rocks up and junk. Cant even attempt to sneak it to death unless you had a high damage roll on Sacred Sword. Arguably a very good counter as his Earthquake still hits it for....

0 Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 174-206 (53.7 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'd say a fairly good counter. Not as great as Hippowdon (who can be made to move slower than min speed Aegislash and heal and really to be worse than Hippowdon isn't a necessarily bad thing since he is one of the best physical walls), but a good one.

No Scarf Moxie set? Wasn't that his go-to set last gen? Even with things like gyarados with DDance scarf moxie at least deserves mention. How about:

Krookodile
Moxie
252 Atk 252 Spe 4 Def
Earthquake
Knock Off
Stone Edge
Crunch?

I'm sure there's something better for the 4th slot this just the first thing that came to mind.
I recall a lot of Krook running Superpower last gen in the fourth slot, but with Dark now able to not be resisted, would he be able to carry a Fire type move to great effect?

-1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 192-228 (57.8 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Arguably not even the defensive set listed in the OP which if at +1:

+1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Krookodile: 298-352 (75.6 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Krookodile: 50-59 (12.6 - 14.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Not even guaranteed with say rocks up and junk. Cant even attempt to sneak it to death unless you had a high damage roll on Sacred Sword. Arguably a very good counter as his Earthquake still hits it for....

0 Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 174-206 (53.7 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'd say a fairly good counter. Not as great as Hippowdon (who can be made to move slower than min speed Aegislash and heal and really to be worse than Hippowdon isn't a necessarily bad thing since he is one of the best physical walls), but a good one.

I recall a lot of Krook running Superpower last gen in the fourth slot, but with Dark now able to not be resisted, would he be able to carry a Fire type move to great effect?
Just got through looking through his (somewhat barren) movepool. Things that stand out are Superpower, F+T fang, pursuit, and aerial ace. Also has generic return and dragon claw for those interested in coverage that krook doesn't/barely needs.

Just got through looking through his (somewhat barren) movepool. Things that stand out are Superpower, F+T fang, pursuit, and aerial ace. Also has generic return and dragon claw for those interested in coverage that krook doesn't/barely needs.
Well when looking at his dual STABs, he is resisted by a few key pokes:

Togekiss, Hawlucha (lol), Mandibuzz, Chestnaught, Breloom, Heracross, Hydreigon, Whimsicott, and I believe that's all. (Just went through the pokedex with those that could resist his dark stab and see what could also get past Ground).

So In many ways Rock move is almost mandatory as that helps cut that down a bit, meaning only Heracross and the two Grass/Fighting pokes aren't hit neutrally. Fire or Flying coverage or you could go with Poison and just ignore Heracross all together. I miss anything?

Togekiss, Hawlucha (lol), Mandibuzz, Chestnaught, Breloom, Heracross, Hydreigon, Whimsicott, and I believe that's all. (Just went through the pokedex with those that could resist his dark stab and see what could also get past Ground).

So In many ways Rock move is almost mandatory as that helps cut that down a bit, meaning only Heracross and the two Grass/Fighting pokes aren't hit neutrally. Fire or Flying coverage or you could go with Poison and just ignore Heracross all together. I miss anything?
It has Aeriel ace so fly coverage would be easy

So KO, EdgeQuake and aerial ace seems best. I definitely wouldn't wanna ignore hera if i had a surefire way of ending it's sweep or just ohkoing it whenever i want to.

U-turn huh. Talonflame u-turning put, i can see that. But even then after intimidate it does little damage

So KO, EdgeQuake and aerial ace seems best. I definitely wouldn't wanna ignore hera if i had a surefire way of ending it's sweep or just ohkoing it whenever i want to.
I've been running a scarf set with these moves for a while and it gets the job done. I've only seen one herracross while using it and it completely walled me.

with initimidate helping on physical side, good supporting attacks like pursuit or dragon tail, krook also makes a good AV User.

Krookodile
Moxie
252 Atk 252 Spe 4 Def
Earthquake
Knock Off
Stone Edge
Crunch?

Pursuit, always Pursuit.

Krookodile always forces switches when played well and it makes it much easier to pick off or pile on additional chip damage which only makes it's odds of a Moxie sweep all that easier. In addition you do realize what the most common scenario is going to be whenever Krookodile comes in? You see your opponent running to a token bulky Fairy, odds are your 80BP Pursuit on even a bulky neutral enemy is going to do a hell lot more damage than a Knock Off on the incoming Fairy switch.

Pursuit, always Pursuit.

Krookodile always forces switches when played well and it makes it much easier to pick off or pile on additional chip damage which only makes it's odds of a Moxie sweep all that easier. In addition you do realize what the most common scenario is going to be whenever Krookodile comes in? You see your opponent running to a token bulky Fairy, odds are your 80BP Pursuit on even a bulky neutral enemy is going to do a hell lot more damage than a Knock Off on the incoming Fairy switch.
well, it does have 2 immunities. Electric and Psychic. But due to the gen 6's new type which is fairy, Krokodile face a new problem this gen. :(

On one of my teams I've been using Krook with Impish max HP/max Def Knock Off/Earthquake/Stealth Rock/Taunt and it's been pulling its weight massively. I was really surprised. I originally had Toxic over Stealth Rock, but I found myself not using Toxic all that often and saw many opportunities where I could have set up Rocks, so I changed my team slightly and slotted Stealth Rock in. It helps that it can go toe-to-toe with Pokemon like Skarmory to Taunt the Defog/Roost, Knock off its item (or anything that wants to switch in after the Taunt) and tank its hits due to the Intimidate.

That is a pretty interesting setup, defensive support Krook didn't work at all last gen but between the environment change and Knock Off's buff it could now. Hhowever are you sure full defense/HP is the best idea? Seems to me you could invest a bit of speed too to speed creep faster tank/sponges like Gliscor, Roserade, Drapion, Tentacruel and the pixies so you could Taunt or finish them off.

That is a pretty interesting setup, defensive support Krook didn't work at all last gen but between the environment change and Knock Off's buff it could now. Hhowever are you sure full defense/HP is the best idea? Seems to me you could invest a bit of speed too to speed creep faster tank/sponges like Gliscor, Roserade, Drapion, Tentacruel and the pixies so you could Taunt or finish them off.
That's what I was wondering myself. I remember the Lando-T pivot set had a fairly mixed spread with Attack EVs and Def with Spd. Could a more manageable set be usable with Krook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)