ORAS UU Krook's Volt-Turn Devastastion

What Pokemon do you think deserves to move up to BL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greetings fellow UU players. After the success of my first RMT, I couldn't wait to post another. I'm quite familiar with the tier (currently sitting at #16 on the ladder at the time of writing this post) and I'm still new to the Smogon forums. Now, this team was sort of an experiment (but still familiar enough with a fire/water/grass core). I love the UU tier because it allows for many Pokemon that are well, under-used to shine! But even this tier has it's "top dogs" such as Mega-Aerodactyl, Suicune, Hydreigon, and such. Wanting to use something different, I looked through the mega evolutions in the tier and came across Ampharos. A Pokemon not completely foreign to me, though I was never able to construct a team to use it to its full potential. Mega-Ampharos is a very powerful Pokemon when used correctly and supported properly. With all the intro out of the way, let's break down the team!

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch
  • Although horribly slow, Mega-Ampharos' special attack with a modest nature reaches a gargantuan 471. The pure power, excellent bulk, (an unfortunate loss in speed), and dragon typing makes Ampharos a devastating threat within the UU tier. However, this only comes after mega evolving. With this in mind, it is essential that Ampharos "megas" as soon as possible. Static is the preferred pre-mega ability due to its chance to paralyze Pokemon that make contact. Although this is rare as you will be evolving early in the game, it's still worth mentioning. Mold Breaker is an excellent ability, ignoring Filter, Lightning-Rod, and Volt-Absorb allowing for more damage and momentum respectively. The spread is standard and is the only thing I'm not really sure is being optimized. Thunderbolt and Dragon Pulse are the main STAB attacks, bolt hurting anything without a ground typing and pulse blowing away anything that does. Focus Blast is the standard unfortunate coverage move found on many special attackers. I don't find myself using it too often, unless I'm facing Aggron, want the KO on Krook, or more damage on Blissey. Volt Switch is really the star of the show here, as momentum is the name of the game. When the Volt-Turn vortex gets started, it's hard to stop, especially against the many stall teams found on the UU ladder and the surprising amount of teams without a ground type. Ampharos is susceptible to all forms of hazards and lacks recovery, but its bulk and useful resistances allow it to tank hits and dish them out as well.

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Overheat
  • Rotom-Heat is the next part of the Volt-Turn core. With its unique typing and decent special attack, Rotom is able to keep up momentum weakening teams with Volt Switch, as well as pick up kills or critical damage (252 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Krookodile: 246-289 (74.3 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) with Overheat and Hidden Power Grass. Levitate is a blessing, bringing Rotom in freely on predicted ground type moves often stopping Celebi in its tracks after luring Earth Power out with Empoleon. Rotom is the fastest Pokemon on the team, checking threats such as Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Beedrill, Scarf-Cross, and Crobat. Thunderbolt much like Ampharos is there to pick up kills when Volt Switch can't, and Overheat deals major damage to threats such as Krookodile, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen in addition to dealing with pesky steel and grass types. Hidden Power Grass is preferred over ice. This is primarily for Swampert, who can cause much trouble for Krookodile and slow Gyarados' sweep (252 SpA Rotom-H Hidden Power Grass vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert: 208-248 (51.8 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO).

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Taunt
  • Whimsicott at first glance doesn't seem like much. With only decent defenses and typing, it's a wonder why anyone would use it. However, upon closer inspection, it's clear to see that Whimsicott's appeal is in its fantastic utility due to speed and the coveted ability Prankster. I love this Pokemon, and it's one I've begun to use much more often. Physically defensive Whimsicott shuts down set up sweepers and even some of its counters, (trapping greedy Doublades into Swords Dance). It's bulky enough with its max/max spread to survive Swampert's Ice Punch, (even naturally out-speeds out of rain), and completely sponges ground, water, and dark type moves. The strategy is as follows: switch in to a resisted move, U-Turn for momentum, OR, switch in on a boosting move, encore because you missed it the first time, then U-Turn. Moonblast is the STAB attack of choice damaging the annoying Conkeldurr, pressuring a boosting up Sharpedo, and Krookodile. Taunt is as essential as Encore, keeping up rocks on a predicted Defog from Empoleon, Mandibuzz, or Crobat; Taunt also keeps water types and dragons from setting up as well as preventing clerics from Wish passing or healing, etc.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
  • Gyarados' fall from OU provided UU with a brand new toy. Not much really needs to be said about Gyarados. It's a set-up sweeper in the purest sense. Max attack, max speed, and a Dragon Dance and you easily out pace half the tier. Gyarados' unique typing and natural special bulk also allows it to set up on many bulky water types, which in a tier where Empoleon, Swampert, and Milotic are on nearly every team, is a blessing. Gyarados thanks to intimidate can sponge many hits for its teammates when necessary, but its primary role is a late game cleaner. Once Krookodile, Ampharos, and Rotom have worn the team down, Gyarados can set up on the remaining Pokemon with a Substitute. That said, knowing when to sub is essential, because getting greedy and "going for game" too early can have unfortunate consequences. Waterfall is Gyarados' main STAB attack and when combined with Bounce is nearly impossible to switch in to.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpD / 76 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
  • Empoleon is the glue that holds this team together. Specially defensive Empoleon counters Sylveon, Tentacruel (to a degree), Hydreigon, Scarf Gardevoir, and Forretress. Empoleon's main job is to sponge attacks from special attackers and in return get up Stealth Rocks or clear away hazards. The team is very vulnerable to attacks such as Kyurem's Ice Beam, the popular Choice Specs Sylveon's Hyper Voice (252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 180 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 99-117 (27.9 - 33%) -- 88.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery) and Draco Meteors from the aforementioned Hydreigon (252 SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 180 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 74-87 (20.9 - 24.5%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery). I run a lot of speed on my Empoleon mainly for other Empoleon, Aggron, Donphan, and Umbreon allowing for the chance to burn with Scald, get up last minute rocks, or toxic. Defog is used for hazard clearing, since two of the six are weak to Stealth Rocks, and the others are severely weakened by Toxic Spikes. Scald is the staple mindless water STAB with the nifty chance to burn, and Stealth Rock aids in punishing switches once the vortex has begun. Finally I have Toxic, putting many sweepers on a timer as well as rendering Calm Mind Cresselia (without Substitute) useless.

Krookodile @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Superpower
  • Ah my namesake and third favorite Pokemon. The team required a heavy hitter and wall breaker and Krook was the answer. Its valuable ground/dark type provides crucial resistances and immunity's (especially stopping opposing Volt-Switchers). Krookodile is easily the best Choice Band abuser in the tier. Choice Band Earthquake in tangent with Knock Off absolutely destroys really anything in the tier. Krook's job is to Pursuit trap threats, weaken Gyarados' defensive checks, and pick up niche kills. Intimidate adds to Krookodile's bulk and allows Krook to survive Mach Punch from a weakened Conkeldurr and revenge kill it with Earthquake. Krookodile, with max speed, can Pursuit trap Entei or out right kill with Eq since 9/10 Entei are Adamant. Pursuit works to a lesser degree on Mega Beedrill, OHKOs Metagross, Chandelure, and Doublade. Superpower is just for coverage killing rival Krookodile etc.
And there you have it folks, My Volt-Turn team featuring Mega Ampharos. This team is very successful when used with the tips above in mind. Momentum is KEY. Staying one step ahead of your opponent with Volt Switch and U-Turn maintains pressure, providing opportunities for Krookodile to pick up a kill or Gyarados to sweep. I really wanted to share this team because it really is a lot of fun. If anyone has any questions just leave a reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Have fun and enjoy!

Threats:
  • (Faster than Amp and can kill with Ice Beam, not OHKO'd by Rotom, and occasionally carries Aura Sphere to counter Empoleon)
  • (Just too bulky to be OHKO'd and with the versatile sets and coverage moves available to Conk makes it hard to take down)
  • (Without clever doubles or predictions, Heliolisk can beat Empoleon with its STAB moves, is faster than the entire team with the exception of Rotom, 2HKO Krook with Hyper Voice, and reverse momentum with its own Volt Switch)
  • (If Empoleon falls, these Pokemon become huge threats)
  • (The team is a bit fire weak, but these two are very easy to play around)
upload_2016-8-13_2-55-33.png

upload_2016-8-13_2-55-47.png

IMPORT
Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Taunt

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpD / 76 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Overheat

Krookodile @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

COMING SOON:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Hi, I love Mega Ampharos and am glad someone else likes to use it despite the fact that everyone seems to dump on it. I have some changes that hopefully help you out:

>

So Rotom-H has far too much role overlap with Ampharos to justify being used. Outside of checking Mamoswine, it offers very little that Ampharos does not (Fire/Flying check with access to Electric STAB), so we can replace it with a pokemon that supports the team better. It offers much needed speed control to this team, as the fastest member without Rotom-H is Krookodile with a measly 311 speed. Another thing I noticed is your VoltTurn lacks a strong U-Turner, and Whimsicott won't cut it. So, Scarf Ape > Rotom-H remedies this with a strong, fast U-Turner that can take advantage of the special walls and Electric resists Amphy tends to bring in (think Whimsicott, Shaymin, Celebi). Ape's great speed tier also gives you a pokemon that outspeeds the entire metagame (except super obscure Scarfers), including +1 Mega Sharpedo. This comes in handy for revenging stuff like +1 Gyaras (which can easily sweep if it carries Earthquake), Scarf Hydreigons, and Scarf Darmanitan. Here is the set:

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Thunder Punch

Max SpA, Speed with a Timid Nature and Giga Drain > Taunt. As a VoltTurn team, the last thing you wanna do is lose momentum. Unfortunately, unboosted Whims hits as hard as a baby garden snake, so you have to invest in SpA. The Speed is to creep Mega Absol primarily, and doing so also lets you outspeed Cobalion, LO Mienshao, LO Infernape, and Hydreigon. Particularly, you really want to outspeed Hydreigon (which you already correctly noted as a threat) and Cobalion (can sweep with SD + Stone Edge if Ape is killed and can't revenge). Taunt is redundant since if anything tries setting up on Whims, you just Encore them. Giga Drain improves longevity which is really helpful since you rely on it quite a bit to check bulky Waters (most notably Swampert since Amph can't switch in). An early Scald burn would cripple it, but Giga can mitigate that.

Hope these help

Last edited:
Sorry for the late response, I was on vacation! I appreciate your edits and I look forward to applying them. Ape really should have been more obvious to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)