VGC Kyogre/Yveltal Core Team

I've made another VGC team and I really like this, but I could definitely use some help to improve it. However I'm not planning on changing neither Kyogre nor Yveltal anytime soon. I noticed that a major threat to this team is Ferrothorn and maybe scarfed Smeargle, but it holds up pretty well. The team is this:

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Pretty standard moveset, with the EV spread to make it a little bulkier while being able to hit hard with modest nature. I decided to run Thunder instead of Water Spout to check opposing Kyogres and to have a consistent damage output no matter how low HP Kyogre has.

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Feint
- Protect

Scizor is my main Xerneas check, with Superpower as a coverage move against Pokemon like Kangaskhan or Ferrothorn. Bullet Punch is an awesome priority move with both STAB and Technician boost. Feint also receives some Technician boost and can catch off guard my opponent.

Yveltal @ Black Glasses
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 220 HP / 100 Atk / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
- Tailwind

I like this moveset although I'm not 100% satisfied by it. I used to run Tailwind on Scizor instead of Feint and had Yveltal have Knock Off instead, but somehow I believe Tailwind works better on Yveltal. The EV spread also makes Yveltal bulkier than it is already.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger

The main reason I run him is because Swagger combined with Prankster and Yveltal's Foul Play or Mawile's Play Rough make up for some massive damage output. It's a combo I like a lot. Taunt checks Xerneas' Geomancy and Smeargle's Dark Void, as well as any incoming Protects. Thunder Wave is also another reason of why Prankster is so damn good, and Thunderbolt is probably the best STAB option for Thundurus.

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Protect

I decided to try Mawile and I don't regret it at all. It has some nice bulk and Intimidate is a very good ability; it gets better when combined with Landorus' own Intimidate, to the point of sometimes forcing an opponent to switch out and allow me a free turn to deal some damage. Also Sucker Punch combined with Yveltal's Dark Aura is another good combination. It works nicely against both Dragon types and Xerneas, which can't really touch it without Flamethrower maybe or any other type of super effective move.

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 52 HP / 196 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Landorus works as my primary Groudon, and Ferrothorn check (that's why I'm running Superpower), works pretty well against common Flying types such as Zapdos, Crobat and Talonflame, and can take Icy Wind without instantly fainting thanks to the Assault Vest. I considered maybe Choice Scarf or Choice Band but I kinda want to have the ability to use all of its attacks depending on the situation instead of switching out.

So that's that. Any feedback is welcome!

hi Negative Shadow, i'm glad you have made a solid rendition of a yveltal / kyogre team, as it is a strong and effective archetype. there aren't many flaws with this team; most of them lie within the spread on some of your pokemon. as always, this rate will hope to smooth out the ev inconsistencies and hope to create a more solid yveltal / kyogre team.

there is a rule that you are violating here; you posted your last rmt less than two weeks ago, which is something clearly stated in the rules. just make sure you don't do it again.

running water spout on kyogre would be fine here, especially with the spread that you have, which is engineered to kill mega kangaskhan with a water spout. you aren't that weak to other kyogre either, so changing thunder to it shouldn't be detrimental.

the first thing i see strange here is scizor. while serving as a reliable xerneas check, it struggles to consistently check primal kyogre (or at all for that matter). since your team needs a reliable switchin to kyogre, ferrothorn is an easy switch. this doesn't limit your team's effectiveness much at all, and having a reliable and consistent primal kyogre check will help in the long run. the standard spread, set and item works here.

the yveltal spread seems a bit all over the place. i understand the speed investment, but the attack and hp seem to be cluttered in some type of mess. having a bulkier spread would work better here, specifically 244 HP / 4 Atk / 28 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe. with a jolly nature, this outspeeds base 90s by two, which gives you a bit more leniency against other pokemon that creep the same speed tier. this is a super bulky spread, able to take many attacks which i will list below. there are more offensive spreads, but this fits the nature of your team more, possibly allowing multiple tailwinds to go up throughout the game. knock off is an option over one of your stabs, but be wary as if you drop foul play, you lose out on a way to revenge kill rayquaza and primal groudon, and if you drop sucker punch, you lose on a form of priority.
  • 252 Atk Zap Plate Raichu Volt Tackle vs. 244 HP / 28 Def Yveltal: 194-230 (83.6 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 244 HP / 36 SpD Yveltal in Heavy Rain: 195-231 (84 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 244 HP / 36 SpD Yveltal: 190-226 (81.8 - 97.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Wild Charge vs. 244 HP / 28 Def Yveltal: 187-221 (80.6 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-W Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 36 SpD Yveltal: 186-218 (80.1 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • -1 252 SpA Life Orb Turboblaze Kyurem-W Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 36 SpD Yveltal: 159-190 (68.5 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • -1 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 244 HP / 28 Def Yveltal: 194-230 (83.6 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 244 HP / 36 SpD Yveltal: 216-254 (93.1 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 244 HP / 28 Def Yveltal: 188-224 (81 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 244 HP / 28 Def Yveltal: 182-218 (78.4 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

as for thundurus, i would run more speed and a timid nature. modest thundurus isn't really worth the slight boost in power; timid hits a much more favorable speed tier. a spread change to 180 HP / 60 Def / 4 SpA / 164 SpD / 100 Spe is better. this outpaces base 90s by two points while having the bulk to live attacks such as mega kanaskhan's double edge, primal kyogre's origin pulse, and -1 mega mawile's play rough just to name a few.

as i say on almost all mawile teams with tailwind, 108 speed is a good benchmark to hit. underspeeding primals and outspeeding base 100s and below in tailwind is almost too good to give up. i prefer to take out of hp so you don't miss out on any offensive benchmarks, however taking out of attack is another fine alternative.

this is an optional decision, but a choice band landorus-t can work here. its ability to fire off very powerful earthquakes allows you to get primal groudon out of the field as quickly as possible and it can really dent things with explosion. speaking of which, replacing u-turn with explosion is better on band sets to dent pretty much every pokemon in the format. if you choose to go with this variant, a spread of 4 HP / 156 Atk / 92 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe is preferred. this makes brave bird from adamant life orb talonflame a 3hko with max speed and the rest in attack.

that's pretty much it. this team was already solid to begin with so i didn't have to change much. this should hopefully make a more effective kyogre / yveltal team.

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Yveltal @ Black Glasses
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 28 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
- Tailwind

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
252 HP / 148 Atk / 108 Spe* (optional)
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Protect

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 180 HP / 60 Def / 4 SpA / 164 SpD / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Swagger

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 156 Atk / 92 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Explosion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)