Kyurem Discussion Thread

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion

A.k.a frozen chicken
Dragon/Ice
Pressure
HP: 125
Atk: 130
Def: 90
SpA: 130
SpD: 90
Spe: 95

Introduction
Kyurem is undoubtedly one of the most dangerous Pokemon in UU currently. Though hampered by the (somewhat) redundancy of its typing and Stealth Rock weakness (coupled with its vulnerability to all the other entry hazards), Kyurem's insane stats and passable (still bad) movepool have proven that it is a capable fighter and more. Adding in Hail support to the mix, Kyurem becomes almost unstoppable with ridiculously powerful Blizzards. There are many people who would like to ban Kyurem in a heartbeat. Will this wish come true?

Sets:

Choice
Kyurem @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Blizzard
- Ice Beam / Endeavor

Straightforward stuff. Use this in Hail and tear things to shreds. Endeavor is there to mess up stuff when he's at 1 HP (for the lack of better last move).

Sub + 3 Attacks

Kyurem @ Leftovers
EVs: 52 HP / 240 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest / Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam / Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Eases prediction a bit and with Lefties Kyurem can live longer. Also a neat Smashpass receiver.

and my personal favorite

Staller

Kyurem @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 216 SDef / 24 Spd Sassy
OR
248 HP / 176 Def / 64 SDef Careful
- Substitute
- Protect
- Dragon Tail
- Hone Claws / Ice Beam

Despite Kyu's seemingly bad typing, 125/90 HP and Defenses is ridiculously bulky (+Pressure). Kyurem also packs neat resists to Water, Electric, and Grass, while not being weak to Ice, and its Substitutes can withstand a surprising amount of hits. Seriously with Spikes and Toxic Spikes this thing is near unstoppable. Tbh I prefer Ice Beam to hit stuff hard and not have to resort to negative priority every time I attack (and killing Donphan is big too), but Hone Claws could work if you have nothing else to do. Once again, Blizzard is an option in hail.

If you are feeling adventurous (or desperate), you could use Imprison on the last slot to run over opposing stall Kyurems, as well as shutting down further attempts to block Dragon Tail with Substitute. However, this is rather...situational.

Countering Kyurem: Uhhh....Registeel I guess?? Escavalier too

only Chansey and Regi have a chance at surviving 2HKO, not gonna lie, this this is way to good, still the CS/Fblast/Blizzard/Dragon Claw killes her, and HP fire kills him

Steels such as Durant, Cobalion, Escavalier, and Registeel can all deal with Kyurem, Durant outspeeding and OHKOing with Iron Head, bulky variants of Escavalier OHKOing with CB Megahorn, Cobalion setting up CMs and OHKOing it after +1 Flash Cannon, and Registeel can tank its hits. Chlorophyll sweepers can outspeed Timid/Jolly Scarfed, although I could see how it could be a problem if Sun is banned.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I personally love BRemu or the Stall set as you listed here. The spread I use is a bit different, 248 HP / 176 Def / 64 SDef Careful. This gives it a bit more bulk on the Physical side and helps it take more hits without sub breaking. I use Dragon Claw over Tail to avoid negative priority, and because I don't use this on a team with Hazards outside of SR. I have also found Hone Claws to allow it to set up on a wide range of threats, like Chansey who can't break its subs. Milotic's Dragon Tail is also unable to do this, which makes Kyurem an amazing set up poke. If you plan on using Dragon Tail, just set up hazards and watch the foe literally disintegrate.

Also everyone should start calling it BRemu. That is what it is.

empoleon is a pretty solid check to it, and if it has boosts you can just roar it away. i'm not sure how much focus blast does to specially defensive sets, but if people are so confident in cobalion i'm sure empoleon will be good enough.

it's annoying because you need to run steels to check kyurem but in doing so you are making yourself weak to drought. :/

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
^Keep in mind that Kyurem outruns Empoleon, and can Dragon Tail it before it gets Roared.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
cobalion with flash cannon/iron head does massive damage to kyurem

also in sandstorm alone, a 252hp/252spd adamant/careful regirock with curse, drain punch, stone edge, and coverage move can beat this taking acceptable damage from ice moves and recovering the health with drain punch

Kyurem's physical movepool may leave a bit to be desired, with Outrage (and to a lesser extent, Dragon Tail and Endeavor) being its only viable physical attack. Is it viable enough to use Outrage in a mixed Choice Scarf set?:

PlatinumDude: He also gets Stone Edge. But not much else.

I run an odd mixed set:

Kyurem @ Lefties/Life Orb
Naive
252 SpA/252 Spd/6 Atk
Hone Claws
Dragon Claw
Blizzard
Focus Blast

If only there was a move that boosted Special Attack and Accuracy...

Kyurem's physical movepool may leave a bit to be desired, with Outrage (and to a lesser extent, Dragon Tail and Endeavor) being its only viable physical attack. Is it viable enough to use Outrage in a mixed Choice Scarf set?:
What about Stone Edge? Edit: Didn't read post above -.-

It would be nice with a physical ice move.

Bulky Escavalier and Registeel should be mentioned as counters. They both laugh at what Kyurem has to pack, although Registeel should be wary of Focus Blast. Cobalion could have some difficulty with switching in because of its pitiful Special Defense. Empoleon with not have a very hard time walling Kyurem and his Special Defense is top notch, meaning it can absorb a Focus Blast and hit Kyurem back with a stab Flash Cannon.

Ehh, this is a bit sketchy, but Cobalion outspeeds and might KO with Close Combat. Still might be worth it though.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
I run an odd mixed set:

Kyurem @ Lefties/Life Orb
Naive
252 SpA/252 Spd/6 Atk
Hone Claws
Dragon Claw
Blizzard
Focus Blast

If only there was a move that boosted Special Attack and Accuracy...
Yes, a Special version of Hone Claws is what many Pokemon like Kyurem and Starmie are waiting for, but for the time being, this actually looks like a solid set. Using Hone Claws on a predicted switch gives you the opportunity to throw a 91% accurate Focus Blast if your opponent decides to bring in, say, Registeel to counter Kyurem. It also allows Blizzard to be useful outside of Hail. However, without any Attack investment, I'm not sure how useful Dragon Claw is going to be even at +1.

Kyurem looks to be an amazing Baton Pass receiver to say the least. And if being used on a Hail team, perhaps a Salac Berry would be viable over Leftovers on the Sub-3 Attacks? Kyurem packs huge attacking stats, and with +1 Speed and a few priority users left in UU (Hitmontop), Kyurem would be able to sweep weakened teams.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kyurem looks to be an amazing Baton Pass receiver to say the least. And if being used on a Hail team, perhaps a Salac Berry would be viable over Leftovers on the Sub-3 Attacks? Kyurem packs huge attacking stats, and with +1 Speed and a few priority users left in UU (Hitmontop), Kyurem would be able to sweep weakened teams.
Just a note, Salac Berry hasn't been released yet. However, Kyurem is commonly seen as a receiver, and that can usually get him the Speed boosts you're talking about.

Milotic @ Leftovers (Max HP / Some SpD)

Haze / Scald / Dragon Pulse / Recover

Beats almost every variant of Kyurem except for a lucky Choice Specs set with Draco Meteor and some entry Hazards.

Cobalion @ Leftovers (Some HP Investment required)

Similar to Milotic, beats almost every variant, especially since it outpaces it and deals loads of damage with STAB Iron Head.

Cirnosaur/Kyutie-pie is awesome and super cute. Hopefully its UU prowess will give it the respect it deserves in OU, and it may even become OU if enough people decide to use it after seeing it in UU.

And another physical move it has is Shadow Claw.

Shroomisaur

Milotic @ Leftovers (Max HP / Some SpD)

Haze / Scald / Dragon Pulse / Recover

Beats almost every variant of Kyurem except for a lucky Choice Specs set with Draco Meteor and some entry Hazards.

Cobalion @ Leftovers (Some HP Investment required)

Similar to Milotic, beats almost every variant, especially since it outpaces it and deals loads of damage with STAB Iron Head.
Milotic (if running Dragon Pulse specifically for Kyurem...) can be an effective counter, depending on the sets. It counters Scarf easily and sub+3 attacks. But it is in trouble against Staller Kyurem in Hail (awesome set, Jibaku), and struggles against Specs or Mixed sets depending on the EVs. Using standard specially defensive Calm Milotic (252hp, 192 def, 56+ SpD, 8 Spe) vs. some Kyurem variants, I got these calcs:

Choice Specs:
Timid Specs Draco Meteor: 62.4% - 73.4% (31.2% - 36.8% at -2), likely 2HKO, guaranteed with any hazards (OR Hail damage at end of turn).

Mixed Life Orb:
Naive 240 SpA Life Orb DM: 53.6% - 63.2%
Naive 0 Atk Life Orb Outrage: 52% - 61.7%, easy 2HKO

Don't underestimate Kyurem's power... now Some calcs for Cobalion:

Jolly 252 Atk Iron Head vs 0/0 Kyurem: 58.3% - 69.3%
" Sacred Sword: 66.1% - 77.7%
" Close Combat: 87.1% - 102.9%

And Kyurem vs. Cobalion:
Timid 252 SpA unboosted Focus Blast vs. 4 SDf Cobalion: 105.3% - 124.5%
Timid 252 SpA Specs Draco Meteor: 69% - 81.4%

So Cobalion is outsped and OHKO'd by Scarf variants, and is defeated if it switches into sub or FB from the sub+3 attacks set (70% of the time, of course...), and takes massive damage just coming in against Specs. Hardly a comfortable counter, but it does work well once it gets in.

Escavalier seems like the best counter, being neutral to Focus Blast and resisting every other move Kyurem can throw. It can take hits much better than Cobalion, and strike back with a much more powerful Iron Head:

Timid 252 SpA unboosted Focus Blast vs 252/0 Escavalier: 35.7% - 41.9%
Timid 252 SpA Specs Draco Meteor: 46.7% - 55%
252 Adamant Escavalier Iron Head vs 0/0 Kyurem: 85% - 100.8%

Jibaku

Heh thanks. Don't credit me though. The set was made by Bad Romance according to ifm.

Anyways, here's something to keep in mind:

no SAtk Milotic Dragon Pulse vs 248/252 SDef Careful (am I the only one who runs this?) Kyurem: 22.5%-26.5%

That means Milotic may not be able to switch in and come out successfully as Kyurem's Substitute can withstand a Dragon Pulse. In the meantime, Milotic gets Dragon Tailed away and Kyu's substitute remains intact.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Heh thanks. Don't credit me though. The set was made by Bad Romance according to ifm.

no SAtk Milotic Dragon Pulse vs 248/252 SDef Careful (am I the only one who runs this?) Kyurem: 22.5%-26.5%

That means Milotic may not be able to switch in and come out successfully as Kyurem's Substitute can withstand a Dragon Pulse. In the meantime, Milotic gets Dragon Tailed away and Kyu's substitute remains intact.
Exactly. I find that the more offensive versions have a lot more trouble with Milotic. However, the defensive versions you and I use, IMO, struggle against Cobalion and Escavalier. I've seen a few Swords Dance Escavaliers lately, and it seems that if that is able to come in on defensive Kyurem, you better have something that can take Escavalier out, and fast.

Shroomisaur

Well, you at least brought it to my attention! That specially defensive spread is also very interesting, I'll have to give it a try. Being able to potentially sub against Milotic's Dragon Pulse is amazing, and it would also defeat any Dragon Tail attempts. It's amazing how versatile Kyurem is depending on the set.

Exactly. I find that the more offensive versions have a lot more trouble with Milotic. However, the defensive versions you and I use, IMO, struggle against Cobalion and Escavalier. I've seen a few Swords Dance Escavaliers lately, and it seems that if that is able to come in on defensive Kyurem, you better have something that can take Escavalier out, and fast.
Yes, packing a tough Fire attacker is a must since Escavalier is such a threat. But if you suspect a Swords Dance Escavalier, you can use Substitute on the first turn. If it attacks, you lost only 3/16 of your HP (thanks to leftovers), and Escavalier lost 1/16 to Hail damage and you've now scouted it's set. If, however, it SD's, you lose only 1/8 of your HP as it breaks your sub, and you get to Dragon Tail the Escavalier away and deal more residual damage to the switch-in.

Regidragon seems extremely potent. Most teams have a LOT of trouble dealing with it. And no, Jibaku, you are not the only one who runs 248/252.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can attest to the staller set being an absolute beast, my god. I'm a fan of hone claws over ice beam though, boosted D-tail actually pumps out some decent damage, and who cares about resistance when they just get phazed out anyway.

The staller is a monster but I always found Hone Claws to be fairly useless, I like Toxic. It's like Walrein w/o Ice Body.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)