Last Bastion

Approved by The Immortal and Eevee General
Art by Temporaryanonymous (better art will come from a very talented Smogon approved artist if this wins OM otm sometime)

Last Bastion
Raises Attack and Defense when...allies have been defeated.
Last Bastion was an ability that was introduced and only present in the side game Pokemon Conquest. However, it was one of the most powerful abilities in the game, and this was emphasized by the powerful Pokemon that had this ability: Charizard, Tyranitar, Dragonite, etc

What if this ability, one that could easily turn the tide of the game was applied to the conventional Pokemon games and battles? Thematically, Pokemon get angry (and stronger) when their partner is defeated, so what better meta to implement this in than doubles?

Rules:
  • Battles are done in the Smogon doubles format, with a 2v2 battle structure and up to 6 pokemon on each team
  • Standard Smogon doubles banlist applies
  • When a Pokemon's ally faints, the Pokemon immediately gains +1 atk, +1 def, +1 spA, and +1 spD
  • If using an AoE attack and the attack would knock out both Pokemon, no Last Bastion boosts will occur (AoE attacks in doubles are treated as simultaenous)
  • For the sake of balance (and a bit of thematics), moves that cause the user to faint will not trigger the Last Bastion effect and give its partner the boost
  • Another point of balance and thematics, moves that knock out a Pokemon's partner (be it a direct attack, or accidental like surf or eq) will NOT trigger the Last Bastion boost
List of moves that will not trigger last bastion:
  • Explosion
  • Final Gambit
  • Healing Wish
  • Lunar Dance
  • Memento
  • Self-Destruct
  • Recoil moves that knock out the user
In general, a good rule of thumb is that when one of your Pokemon faint, if the proximate cause was not something you caused, the boost will happen.

I expect the meta to be a style where players might often have a single sweeper or two, ready to be boosted with the new mechanic, and protect will be move valuable than ever, now that boosts can quickly add up and snowball. There will also be interesting strategies, such as harming one's partner, but not knocking them out, to pull a loophole abuse, or perhaps using Perish Song to set up interesting scenarios.

Moves to consider banning:
  • Follow Me
  • Rage Powder

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
5 level 1 fear mons without sashes and a sweeper. Kill me or I endeavor you. Tbh I had been thinking about a conquest meta, but this ability seems really cool, I imagine perish song users could get big, as well as fear being useful (especially if tyranitar is the partner)

Gonna be nasty trying to decide whether you want to KO an enemy right now or not.

I anticipate spread moves being particularly popular, so you can wipe both enemies at once.

I also anticipate Mega Aggron seeing a lot more use. Normally in Doubles you can just ignore it and kill all its buddies, and then finish it off at the end of the match. Doing that here would lead to Mega Aggron with +5 in everything except Speed, at which point it can afford to Rest through stuff and its Rock Slides/Earthquakes are murderous and so on.

This looks like the perfect meta for Spikes stacking; if you opponent stops you from stacking by killing it, you have some hazards up and you get an offensive buff. If they don't, nothing can stop you from continuously phazing them until they all die one by one, with nothing they can do to stop you by revenging with priority.

Or it would be, if this wasn't doubles, and was singles. ;-;

Psych Up is a lot better here than in standard play, as Pokemon accumulating boosts is a constant and not a gamble. Klefki has Prankster Psych Up to consistently steal boosts, as does Mega Banette, which has more offensive potential but worse usability due to the turn required to Mega Evolve. Espeon is a quick user of Psych Up that can't be statused/phazed/taunted, and it has shown to be a scary boost-builder with the whole Baton Pass debacle. Porygon2 and Suicine are disgustingly bulky and can hold on to their boosts and recover off the damage. This move has absurd distribution, so a ton of scary Pokemon of all walks of life can learn it via TM, from Keldeo to Terrakion to Rotom-W to Alakazam to Altaria.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)