Let's make it rain!

Well, here I am with my first RMT! This team is a LC team based around rain! Without further ado, here we go!

Well, I started off with what i'd used in the past to set up rain. Voltorb.

And, of course all good rain teams need a core. I figured that Croagunk and Tirtouga provided a good offensive core, with dry skin and swift swim.

Seeing this pretty good offense, I thought about who to use for defense. Murkrow is a solid option, and I knew that Foongus would be able to act as another rain setter and a good defensive option.

So there, a pretty solid team. I needed a 6th mon to use, and i decided to use Porygon as a mon there, rounding out 2 attackers, 2 defenders, 2 special attackers.

After a bit of testing and chatting on IRC, someone suggested that i use Omastar in place of Tirtouga. I found that the swift swim/SR combo worked pretty well. So in he went, and we have the final team!

THE TEAM

Voltorb

The Offensive Rainmaker

SOUNDPROOF
TIMID NATURE
196 Spd / 76 SDef / 236 SAtk
RAIN DANCE / VOLT SWITCH / TAUNT / HIDDEN POWER [ICE]

Voltorb is one of those pokemon that you rarely see in Little Cup. However, I've been using Voltorb as my main rain setter, as well as a Murkrow counter. Voltorb can fight most Murkrow with HP Ice, as well as taunt and Volt switch. Charmander suggested using a damp rock on Voltorb, as Voltorb outspeeds everything without a choice scarf and can stop stealth rockers like dwebble, drilbur, and ferroseed in their tracks. As soon as i made this change, i loved it.

TO BE COMPLETED

TO BE COMPLETED

Omanyte

The Hazard Guy

SWIFT SWIM
MODEST NATURE
236 Spd / 76 SDef / 196 SAtk
SURF / STEALTH ROCK / ICE BEAM / EARTH POWER

Omanyte, my completely underrated hazard setter. On this team, Omanyte has two roles: set hazards, clean up their pokes. Swift Swim allows him to outspeed a max speed Drilbur in rain, and counter him with Surf. Earth power allows him more coverage, as he is now able to take on the Chinchou, Larvesta, and the Magnemite that come his way. Ice Beam for the extra coverage, and another eviolite to him too, because eviolite is the most broken item in LC.

TO BE COMPLETED

TO BE COMPLETED

CROAGUNK

The Bruiser

DRY SKIN
LONELY NATURE
188 Atk / 188 SAtk / 116 Spe
FAKE OUT / DARK PULSE / DRAIN PUNCH / VACUUM WAVE

Croagunk is a bulky attacker whose main job is to stop momentum from building on the other team. Fake out allows him to to that, and vacuum wave (with life orb) allow the extra damage needed to stop people in their tracks. Chinchou also has a hard time dealing with Croagunk, because Dry skin can soak up that surf that was meant to kill of one of the other pokemon on my team. Dry skin also works well with drain punch, making Croagunk pretty tough to kill.

- FRILLISH
- SCRAGGY
- SNOVER
- MISDREAVUS
- HOUNDOUR

- ABRA

Murkrow

The Defender

PRANKSTER
CAREFUL NATURE
180 Sdef / 148 Atk / 180 Def
SUBSTITUTE / RAIN DANCE / ROOST / BRAVE BIRD

SubRoost + T-wave and Brave bird. Meinfoo, have fun.

But in all seriousness, Murkrow is a solid pokemon in LC. He can take a few hits, he can slow down their pivots, he can deal tons of damage. A great member of the team, and he has saved my butt quite a few times.

- MIENFOO
- FOONGUS

TO BE COMPLETED

Porygon

The Tank

TRACE
CALM NATURE
76 SDef / 196 Def / 236 HP
RECOVER / TRI-ATTACK / THUNDER WAVE / SHADOW BALL

This Pokemon was originally here to disrupt pokemon.

However, a glaring snover weakness had become apparent. This set is made to counter pokes like Missy and Snover, and do it in a simple way. Slow them, Wreck them.

- MISDREAVUS

- SCRAGGY

Foongus

The Disabler

EFFECT SPORE
MODEST NATURE
240 SDef / 36 SAtk / 236 Def
HP FIRE / SPORE / GIGA DRAIN / CLEAR SMOG

Foongus is made for tanking meinfoo and scraggy hits, whilst either putting them to sleep or removing their stat boosts. Effect spore is also the reason that Foongus is so dangerous. as soon as a physical attack comes around, Foongus can easily punish for that. Foongus is also my counter to the annoying pokes such as Snover and Pawniard.

TO BE COMPLETED

- Snover

Well that sums up the team, give me your questions and feedback!​
~ Gem​

Voltorb @ Eviolite
Trait: Soundproof
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Spd / 76 SDef / 236 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Volt Switch
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Omanyte @ Eviolite
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 236 Spd / 196 SAtk / 76 SDef
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Croagunk @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 188 Atk / 188 SAtk / 116 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Dark Pulse
- Vacuum Wave

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 180 SDef / 148 Atk / 180 Def
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Rain Dance
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Porygon @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
level:5
EVs: 76 SDef / 196 Def / 236 HP
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave

Foongus @ Eviolite
Trait: Effect Spore
EVs: 240 Def / 236 SDef / 32 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog

Last edited:
The reason Voltorb is a good rain lead is because it can get rain up really quickly despite being frail. Since you basically get guaranteed rain, you should take advantage of it and run Damp Rock on it. Especially since Voltorb is still frail with Eviolite.

At the moment, you're really weak to Snover and Murkrow (especially when paired together) because you're relying on Omanyte to take hits from both. If Snover sneaks Giga Drain in on Omanyte, you're pretty much done. Fortunately, simply changing your Porygon set can make your team much more formidable against both these threats. I would recommend something like:

@ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 76 SDef / 196 Def / 236 HP
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave

Also, Murkrow can probably help you out a lot when you're in need of rain because it has access to Prankster. Replacing Thunder Wave with Rain Dance gives you access to priority rain in an emergency :)

Good luck on your team!

Hey cool rain team!

Ok so Charmander has already identified your Snover and Krow weakness and gave you a suggestion to help with that so I definitely agree with him. On rain teams, I find that there aren't really to much changes to be made Pokémon wise since you need rain setters and rain sweepers. However, you could trying a Life Orb>Eviolite on Croagunk would be goodsince with rain and Dry Skin you can get the recovery that will somewhat make up for the loss of Eviolite. with a Life Orb and priority, Croagunk becomes an even better check to strong set up sweepers like Scraggy, Shell Smashers and Pawnaird. Like I said, the loss of bulk on Croagunk isn't to bad with rain and Dry Skin healing letting Croagunk have increased longetivity. To help this Croagunk be a good check to Scraggy and Pawnaird who btw can set up on Charmanders Porygon set. Using Vaccum Wave> Knock Off and an ev spread of 188 Atk / 188 SpA / 116 Spe could be good with a lonely nature. Vaccum Wave gets Stab and hits Scraggy for 2x and Pawnaird for 4x super effective damage.

Good luck with the team I hope I helped!

Set

Croagunk @ Life Orb | Dry Skin
Lonely | 188 Atk / 188 Spa / 116 Spe
Fake Out / Drain Punch / Sucker Punch / Vaccum Wave

Tl;DR
Croagunk
.Eviolite--->Life Orb
.Knock Off---> Vaccum Wave
.Adamant--->Lonely
.188 Atk / 124 Def / 196 SDef--->188 Atk / 188 Spa / 116 Spe

~SPD

i'm playtesting both sets now, and they work very well.

thanks to you both, i'll edit the OP soon.

GEMEDIT: also, added some counters/weaknesses. gonna need some help with that.

Ice beam added to Omanyte
Dark Pulse to Croagunk.
some other changes

EDIT: also will need help with working out the counters.

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Use Shadow Ball over Dark Pulse on Croagunk, it just gives you an easier time against opposing Croagunk. The normal immunity doesn't really matter since no normal-type is gonna switch into Croagunk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)