Let's talk offensive status

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Like the title says, let's talk offensive status!

People generally will lump Status attacks in as a "stall thing", but I am here to tell you that this is a terrible mindset to have! Offensive team and especially balanced teams can use the extra turns or reduced damage granted by status effects in order to set up, or else to remove a nasty threat.

In this topic, I will be going over some of my own favorite offensive status users, as well as addressing the benefits and shortcomings of each status on an offensive team. I obviously encourage you to discuss them and share your own.

Heatran

Heatran is probably my favorite offensive Status user. Fire Blast and Earth Power discourage both Steel- and Fire-types from switching in, making Heatran an excellent user of both Toxic and Will-O-Wisp. What helps is that its common switch-ins include Bulky Waters, Tyranitar, and Salamence, all of which become pretty terrible when hit with either Toxic or Will-O-Wisp (well Salamence is still a total dick with poison). Both Substitute and Explosion can make this set even more deadly; however there is not enough room for both, and the choice should be made based on what your team needs. Suicune is a perfect pair for this set, as it can stall out pretty much anything while it takes poison damage, and Suicune appreciates having Vaporeon and company out of the way as well.

The big wrench in this set’s plan is Blissey, which easily takes all this set’s attacks, and shrugs off status with Natural Cure. Having a reliable Blissey switch-in is vital here (CM / STalk Suicune makes another appearance); Explosion can also deal with Blissey, but you (obviously) will lose Heatran in the process.

Heracross

Toxic Heracross was a total beast back in the Garchomp days, when Gliscor was often a vital asset to stop Lucario, Garchomp, Salamence, and Heracross itself. Even in today’s metagame, however, Toxic Heracross can be a huge threat. Since few Steel-types can safely switch into its STAB Fighting and Bug attacks, Toxic will frequently hit vital members of your oponent’s team, such as Salamence, Gyarados, Zapdos, and Rotom. What helps further is that many of Heracross’ counters are weak to Stealth Rock, so you will likely rack up Stealth Rock damage in the process; additionally, none of the Natural Cure Pokemon have a habit of switching into Heracross.

Heracross’ STAB Megahorn often encourages Steels to switch in, which is sometimes a pain, but if you use Magnezone alongside this then you can deal with Skarmory. Note that this set works well even with Choice Band or Scarf.

Rotom

Anyone who has used Choice Scarf Rotom can attest to it being a fantastic offensive Pokemon. And with access to three separate status attacks, Rotom has a good answer for pretty much anything you will have to worry about switching into it. Will-O-Wisp is the most common choice, but it is really a double-edged sword: it deals with Tyranitars which love to switch in and trap Rotom, but it also boosts Heatran’s Fire Attacks, and with 130 base attack and Fire Blast that is often a really bad deal for an offensive or even balanced team. So honestly I would only recommend using Will-O-Wisp if you have an excellent Heatran counter such as Snorlax, Suicune, or Blissey.

Thunder Wave is probably the next best option. It deals a huge blow to Heatran, and even though it will not stop Tyranitar from Pursuiting Rotom (unless you get lucky and TTar gets an FP), it makes Tyranitar quite a bit less useful. Thunder Wave is also a nice pair for Trick, since the received speed boost becomes totally irrelevant when your foe’s speed is cut to a quarter of its value anyway. With both Thunder Wave and Trick, Rotom has the potential to incapacitate a good portion of the foe’s team and give your other Pokemon free turns to set up and switch around.

Maximizing the effects of status

Poison
:

Be sure you have something bulky to stall out your opponent. This is not a good status to use on a “glass canon” offensive team, since your opponent will simply continue sweeping, or will at least use the turn you wasted to attack your Pokemon. Toxic works best on offensive Pokemon which discourage switch-ins from Steels, Poisons, and Natural Cure Pokemon; however, it is equally important that your Toxic user draws switch-ins from Pokemon that dislike poison. The best targets are things which can heal damage but not status, such as Zapdos and the Bulky Waters, or else bulky sweepers which your team otherwise has trouble dealing with (perhaps Tyranitar or Gyarados).

Burn:

Unfortunately, Heatran is a common switch-in to every single viable Will-O-Wisp user. Unless your team has a really good Heatran switch-in, it is a good idea to scout for it first with another attack, since Will-O-Wisp is generally pretty easy to see coming. Infernape is a great burn user in theory, since it discourages Heatran and all of the common Natural Cure Pokemon from switching in, but Infernape itself is so difficult to get in that it is often not worth it. The Ghosts are generally the best Will-O-Wisp users, since they easily draw in Tyranitar, which becomes pretty pathetic after being burned. If you can pull off burn then that’s great, as a single WoW or Psycho Shift user can cripple entire offensive teams, but the low accuracy and the frequency of Heatran make it a large risk to take on.

Paralysis:

Paralysis is probably more usable in general than any other status, since the speed drop destroys offensive Pokemon and the chance to fully paralyze is a nuisance for anything else. Add to that the fact that the main paralysis move is 100% accurate, and you’ve got some annoying shit going on. As far as uses for offensive teams, paralysis is a huge help when setting up. Sweepers that use substitute are the way to go here, since you can scout for full paralysis and create more switches in general. CM Jirachi is a greate choice here, since once it gets a substitute and a Calm Mind up there are really only a couple pokemon that can stop it (Heatran and Tyranitar) and both of them cannot come in repeatedly, especially if you have paralyzed them. Another standout is Breloom, who can sub continuously to scout for full paralysis, and greatly appreciates that it base 70 speed suddenly became a lot more valuable. The obvious downside of using Thunder Wave is that there are several Pokemon in OU which are immune, and most of the Thunder Wave users cannot do much to Blissey and even Starmie. Celebi is probably the best Thunder Wave user there is, since with Grass Knot and HP Ice there isn’t a Pokemon in OU that can safely switch in besides Blissey, and Blissey is easy enough to dispatch with fighting types or strong physical attackers.

Sleep:

Although it has become increasingly uncommon, sleep is another extremely useful status for offensive teams. There are two main ways that offensive teams can use sleep successfully: First, it can be used on a Pokemon that need time to set up. Probably the best example is Roserade, which can use the extra time to set up Toxic Spikes. Breloom and Gengar can set up Substitute after putting the opponent to sleep, and with 130 in each of their strongest attacking stats, both can tear apart entire teams. Second, extremely offensive teams will often never give a sleeping Pokemon time to wake up; if your entire team is capable of one or two-hit KOing most Pokemon in the game, sleep becomes an essential KO. Still, Sleep moves are generally innacruate, and since most of the Sleep users are frail it is often a huge risk. Considering also that a sleeping Pokemon can wake up in a single turn, sleep is probably the least useful status in the game. The risk is generally very high, the effect is not permanant, and the reward is potentially very low.

-----------------------------------------

Now that I have shared my thought’s on offensive status use, it is time to share yours! What offensive Pokemon are your favorite status users? How does status help your offensive teams? Which status is easiest for offensive teams to make use of? Discuss!

Will-O-Wisp Heatran is way good. I run Heatran with Will-O-Wisp, Magma Storm (it's a lead, so this destroys sashers and can be used later to layer Will-O-Wisp damage on Natural Curers), Stealth Rock, and Earth Power. Definitely a good time. Frequently cripples or removes multiple Pokemon, and setting up rocks is invaluable.

toxic heracross seems like kind of a bad idea. Gyarados,zapdos,and salamence are hit extremely hard by stone edge.So your only getting rotom who might just rest it off, and gliscor who isnt that common.

edit: i don't use a lot of status attacks most of the time on offense but i think attacks like lava plume and discharge can be really helpful if the effect activates at the right time.

I personally always run blast/wow/ep/dp on my heatran because WoW wrecks a bunch of common heatran switch-ins, most notably ttar and gyarados (mence dies to pulse with sr damage).

That's the condition for using status on offense imo: it needs to be able to lure a common switch and cripple it.

In ubers, thunder wave groudon has become extremely common, in fact i don't think i've seen one without it all week. Pretty much anything coming in is crippled besides other groudon.

Just want to add that Discharge is also a excellent status move on Rotom. It has a good enough chance to paralyze while still being a decently powerful attack.

Also I think it's really neat to call Tricked a status (I'm assuming that was Rotom's third move?). I never thought of it that way but it's a totally valid description.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Something I used to find very useful for a team was Toxic Garchomp. Normally, people would use stuff like HP Ice Lucario/Toxic Heracross to lure out Gliscor for Garchomp, but that's what made it so useful; nobody expected a Toxic Garchomp. I can't credit myself for the discovery though, I remember Earthworm used to use it. But it was very good at doing its job, I liked it more than Chainchomp because I could Toxic Cresselia and screw her over a bit.

I ran a double Status Rotom (Will-o-Wisp and Thunder Wave) a while back that was awesome. I ran it at max speed (295) which helps it get above and beyond a ton of pokemon that linger in the 270-280ish range. Thunder Waving Heatrans, Wisping Tyranitars, etc. was always great. It has the Heatran syndrome - you need a way around Blissey to maximize effectiveness. Against pure offensive teams he was just a pain to deal with as they have problems with balancing status absorbers with their offense. You can even just bluff a form you want with the Wisp/TWave as well (Thunder Bolt and Shadow Ball being the other moves to fill it out). If you don't want to worry about a Heatran trying to sneak into a Wisp run the Wash form and they will think twice about swapping him in - even if you don't carry Hydro Pump.

Thunder wave latios has been a great asset to me lately, ensuring victory against faster sweepers like weavile and choice banded scizor. I just basically use the hax from the thunder wave to kill off latios's potential counters using his stab moves or just escape. Not to mention thunder wave latios can cripple scarftrans to the point it can't revenge kill anymore.

(personal favorite)

Groudon utilizes Thunder Wave+Swords Dance very well; easily my favorite set because it keeps Groudon's great bulk, but still lets him beat Lugia and a lot of other stuff. Also lets him avoid using Life Orb, and use Lefties instead.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

RL-atias @ Life Orb
Modest
40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe

- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psycho Shift
- Recover

This, I feel, is the very definition of offensive status. Latias' useful resistances and excellent SpD makes it a valuable addition to offensive teams in need of a little insurance against MixApe, offensive Zapdos, and Heatran. The fact that it can launch Draco Meteors off 110 base Sp, gets near-perfect coverage with 2 moves, takes less than half its health from bulky water Ice Beams even with no defensive investment, outspeeds the majority of the metagame, and can protect its team from all kinds of status, is often overlooked because of its 'defensive' stereotyping. Latias fits in excellently on offensive teams which often struggle to take Burns and Paralysis, and then Latias can then go on to further support the team by handing the Burn back to Rotom, or the Toxic back to Vaporeon.

Really a great and under-appreciated set.

I made a team once that was based off of spreading Paralsyis then going to town on the opponent with Machamp and SDHera. It wasn't amazing but I feel that it was really easy to work with and wasn't hard to execute.

But yeah I really feel Sleep should be on here as its probably the most offensive of the statuses (unless that's the very reason you kept it off the list!)

Toxic is a fairly good move in Ubers for Garchomp, since it completely wrecks Lugia's ability to wall very well.
I completely agree and can attest to the success of throwing out a random Toxic on a predicted switch, as many teams carry Lugia to stop Rayquaza and is the most practical answer to Garchomp. That said, I see no reason to use Stone Edge over Toxic on Choice Band / Scarf sets.

True, this does make me think about using status more. The only status I really see is paralysis, and on the common spreads and Pokemon. Not much Toxic or Will-o-Wisp.

But yeah, they are really useful, when paired with the right teammates.

I completely agree and can attest to the success of throwing out a random Toxic on a predicted switch, as many teams carry Lugia to stop Rayquaza and is the most practical answer to Garchomp. That said, I see no reason to use Stone Edge over Toxic on Choice Band / Scarf sets.
IMO stick with Stone Edge on the CB set because you do actually 2hko Lugia with Stone Edge all the time, with or w/o rocks. And even if Lugia switches out, it won't be able to switch in again because of it is very likely it'll end up with less than 25% of its HP after getting hit by Stone Edge and SR.

The CS set is probably better of with Toxic, because it only has a 27% chance of 2hkoing Lugia anyway, and combine that with Stone Edge's poor accuracy, and you are probably just better off crippling it with Toxic so that you can Outrage more freely later.

You guys are forgetting an offensive Pokemon that has a status move on almost every set it runs: Breloom. Without Spore, subbing Breloom wouldn't be such an annoying fucker to take down. I mean think about it, how many other sweepers love having this move for how crippling it is?

I'm quite surprised than Celebi's Tinkerbell set was nowhere mentioned on this post. You'd be surprised at just how effective Thunder Wave can be, either by crippling the Gyarados (making it rather ineffective) or the opponent's Heatran switch-in. Also, I notice that many people switch in Scizor to Celebi, and Celebi just laughs with HP Fire (coming from personal experience). Tyranitar also falls to Leaf Storm.

RL-atias @ Life Orb
Modest
40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe

- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psycho Shift
- Recover

This, I feel, is the very definition of offensive status. Latias' useful resistances and excellent SpD makes it a valuable addition to offensive teams in need of a little insurance against MixApe, offensive Zapdos, and Heatran. The fact that it can launch Draco Meteors off 110 base Sp, gets near-perfect coverage with 2 moves, takes less than half its health from bulky water Ice Beams even with no defensive investment, outspeeds the majority of the metagame, and can protect its team from all kinds of status, is often overlooked because of its 'defensive' stereotyping. Latias fits in excellently on offensive teams which often struggle to take Burns and Paralysis, and then Latias can then go on to further support the team by handing the Burn back to Rotom, or the Toxic back to Vaporeon.

Really a great and under-appreciated set.
I like this set it allows Latias to stay in against Togekiss, Blissey and Vaporeon and do something. I actually used it so I'm not just blowing steam, Blissey really hates Toxic and forcing her out is always a plus.

My favorite offensive statuser is Snorlax. He is able to tear up offensive teams with Body Slam's paralysis and he is a pretty bulky poke. Once he racks up 3-4 curses there are VERY few moves that are OHKOing him...if any. He also can tear apart stall teams.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You definitely need to include the sleep status in here as well, Tay. Sleep is so incredibly useful for offensive teams, both in direct offense or simply for setting up a sweep.

Some basic examples are Spore for Breloom and Hypnosis for Gengar (especially Substitute Gengar), or Belly Drum Poliwrath in UU. The Sleep status gives the Pokemon an extra turn to either Substitute (or simply attack) or set up.

Regarding setting up a sweep, I'm sure we can all attest to the effectiveness of Pokemon like Smeargle with Spore or Roserade with Sleep Powder, either setting up some sort of field hazard or potentially baton passing away.

I always liked Paraflinch pokemon and used them an awefull lot. I rarely lost as the whole stratagy was to paralyze their whole team, take out their status absorber, and then demolish with scarf Jirachi, or for a short time, Skymin. I liked skymin more becuase it could take out the grounds that stoped the theme

Will-O-Wisp Heatran is way good. I run Heatran with Will-O-Wisp, Magma Storm (it's a lead, so this destroys sashers and can be used later to layer Will-O-Wisp damage on Natural Curers), Stealth Rock, and Earth Power. Definitely a good time. Frequently cripples or removes multiple Pokemon, and setting up rocks is invaluable.
i like the idea of this set a lot.

what item do you use?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)