SM UU Life Orb Clefable's Bait & Punish Offense Team

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
The goal behind this team is to be as offensive as possible and punish your opponent making seemingly good switchins. I wanted to build around Life Orb Clefable as much as possible with options that can absorb status and not have to worry too much about entry hazards and just kill predicted switches and wallbreak as an offensive team should.

Clefable (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled

One of the best things about Clefable is its unpredictability It's one of my favorite Pokemon purely for looking objectively dumb and yet has so many strong options to work with. You see one from the preview but you have to GUESS which variant it is. Clefable especially looks very out of place surrounded by offensive monsters. Most people run the Calm Mind set for the wincon. Some run Unaware so you can't sweep them. A few run the Stealth Rock-Knock Off support. Me? I choose the benefit of Life Orb power negated by Magic Guard so that if you think you can switch in that pesky prioritized praying mantis you call Scizor, I get to burn it to a crisp. I was running Fire Blast but then I realized Flamethrower's gonna kill most Steels anyway and I don't have to risk accuracy. Scizor and every other offensive Steel has to be Banded to knock it out from full. Latias and Keldeo have to be Specs to do anything to you but I have options for those as well. Any offensive Steel in the tier not named Empoleon (or the rare Heatproof Bronzong) is gonna get 2HKOd by Flamethrower. It's a guaranteed OHKO if you opt out for Fire Blast. I choose Ice Beam for my last coverage move because I found myself playing mind games with Nidoking when I run Thunderbolt and I'd rather just kill it. You catch Gliscor on the Taunt too The team support deals with bulky Waters anyway. It is my opinion that the Life Orb Clefable set is much more viable in UU than in OU. My reasoning: You never have to run Focus Blast just for Heatran. Instead, you can focus on your other coverage moves.

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt

Being Steel-Electric, it really helps to come in and find out which status of either Thunder Wave or Toxic my opponent is running so I can capitalize off it. Also makes for a good Flying resist and supports Clefable by coming in on Poison except for those bear-rhinos, the Nido monarchy. Volt Switch initiative is to gain momentum with Specs plus Modest doing huge chunks and avoiding staying locked. I run Hidden Power Grass so I can bait in the Ground-Waters of salamanders and slugs that would otherwise be able to win and wallbreak them. I have plenty of answers to Scizor to not need HP Fire, Thunderbolt does like 60% minimum to max SpDef ones and Flash Cannon off Modest Specs keeps any Clefable trying to relax their thoughts and boil eggs from wiping me.

Volcanion @ Grassium Z
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Solar Beam

Ever used Bloom Doom Heatran in OU? Same concept, lower tier. Yet another good mon that puts Scizor on the ropes and it supports my other teammates by coming in on stuff like Primarina and covering them with Sludge Bomb. You bait in bulky Waters either into staying in even after they hit you with Scald and you can blow them up in a beautiful flowery explosion of perfumed death. Offensive Waters like Megarpedo can't touch you and die to Steam Eruption guaranteed after SR and Keldeo is 2HKOd after SR, so don't bother with the Bloom Doom on those. Save your Z-Crystal.

Aerodactyl (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Roost

The Landorus-T of UU. This is the only thing I'm running a Speed Nature on as I find myself using it as my revenge killer alot by having it come in after something dies. That being said, I really don't feel secure running Stone Edge. I HATE missing. Like REALLY hate missing. So you can see why I would run a Tough Claws boosted no-miss STAB Flying move in Aerial Ace on my Megadactyl and no Stone Edge. With Earthquake as the second move, you cover everything. Nothing really resists Flying-Ground coverage except Gliscor. I was running Aqua Tail for a while on it but then I realized my other options can deal with it. Pursuit guarantees the opponent can't just withdraw stuff and annoy me with it again later, namely Ash's dragon ex-girlfriend Latias.

Conkeldurr (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch

With 3 Special Attackers on my team, the last thing I want is for Jessie's dropout nurse school classmate Blissey to have her way with me and that's where the clown-nosed construction worker comes in. With support from Magneton and Gliscor, I can avoid Paralysis as much as possible to get the GOOD statuses on this thing in the form burns and deadly poisons. Ice Punch also aids in catching Gliscor and the Mag plus Glisc support keeps it from the malicious set of car keys called Klefki from Thunder Waving it so it can do its job of just punching you in the face for poisoning it or giving it lethal burns. Being dressed up for his work in the army, the Assault Vest lets me tank Special hits and destroy with maximum attack power, removing Ghosts by hitting their stuff out of their hands with Knock Off and the helpful priority of Mach Punch aiding in revenge kills if MegaDactyl doesn't need to risk anything. Mag support also helps it deal with angry jellyfish Tentacruel.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 196 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

I added a bat-scorpion because I needed some switch initiative via U-Turn plus Stealth Rock residual to insure that things are more likely to see death after some rock poke them. Usually, I'm going to have this thing lead off if not Clef and toss some pebbles at my opponent and if I can survive an incoming hit, I break the driving laws and U-Turn out especially if there's a Speed advantage for the residual to get a good check or counter out safely. It also supports Clef with its Poison and Steel resistances and is supported by Mag and Volc with their Ice resistances and Volc's Water immunity. I don't really need him as a Defogger cuz only 2 members of this team care at all about about the dirt, rocks and poison traps laid upon the ground.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)