ORAS Doubles OU Life story of Barack Obama

Alright. So I've been working on this team for quite some time. As you may see it's been awhile since I've posted. Now I think I've hit a dead end and j may need some help to get out.

White Obama (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 208 HP / 12 Def / 228 SpA / 60 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Blizzard
- Energy Ball
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Here's the main guy of the show and you should never ever underestimate Obama. This guy can 2ohko almost anything put in front of it. To top it off it can take almost any hit as well. It only really struggles with steel types, but I have my checks for that. I choose double snow warning over soundproof because no damage from a hyper voice and winning weather wars are in a whole different class. Now I hate ice shard. I HATE IT. But it is the best move for that slot. If you have any bright ideas I'll go for it. There is nothing stopping me from thinking this Pokemon is a S+.

Obama's Raichu (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

This is the first of my problems. I really don't like setting up belly drum, especially since I like having my way with switching. There is no other decent physical water type to take his spot either. Other than that Aqua jet has that nice priority which usually makes play rough a joke. It also means I shouldn't have talonflame, as well, but I'll get into that. The other bad thing is that once I get belly drum up. Azumarill become the biggest target on the feild. Which the opposite effect I want for my one of my main sweepers. Most people don't think mega Obama is a threat, and then he destroys them. If there was a good replacement for Azumarill that's what I would be looking for.

Child Obama (Scrafty) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Def / 36 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Now I used to never like scrafty, but he's grown a lot on me, and he's become a useful gadget in all my team. This time it's stone edge. My team has a BIG weakness to sun and whipping out the stone edge on an unexpected Charizard is very helpful. I always lead with this guy for fake out support for trick room. Knock off can also be a life saver. Just to help with annoying mons with useful items. Too many to even list. Drain punch has saved my life on multiple occasions by healing me just enough to live another day. Since I'm using all attack moves now, I should use an assault vest. If you can provide a good EV spread for assault vest that would be very beneficial.

Mustache Obama (Jellicent) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 92 SpA / 100 SpD / 4 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

This is my first of two trick room setters. As of right now he has a Sitrus berry. I don't know wether I should use that or mental herb. There's not much to say but BULK. This guy can really last a battle if used properly. I usually don't lead with him unless reuniclus can't be lead. Which almost never happens. I thought about water spout, but since jelly will be targeted a lot it won't work very well. Also hail along with burn is very useful for slowly depleting my opponent's Heath. Cursed body has also saved me many times by taking out powerful moves from the playing field.

Obama Care (Reuniclus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 152 HP / 36 Def / 252 SpA / 68 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Protect

I picked reuniclus because it has some bulk and a lot of power. Which is the opposite of jellicent. Over coat was also a big factor as I don't need to worry about being put to sleep. Since it freed me up of an item, safety goggles, I was able to pick life orb, which really helps with this suicide lead. Though it may not seem like it, it is a suicide lead. I lead with it, set up room, do decent damage, and get killed because they think I'm the threat. I don't think any other trick room setter could replace reuniclus. With overcoat, decent bulk, and amazing power.

They have the same base attack. It's really sad.

Thanks Obama..... (Talonflame) @ Charti Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Def / 40 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Protect

Now I'm not much of a fan of talonflame. To me he's too weak, with the 70 base attack it very underwhelming. I picked purely for being physical and having fire type coverage. Now as you may have noticed this talonflame is bulky. I see zero reason to use fast talonflame, other than to outspeed prankster t-waves, which aren't that bad in the first place. Bulky talonflame is quite useful, as it can take a good amount of hits and still get out bravebirds. One thing I really like is roost. When talonflame is nearly finished everyone expects it to finish itself off with bravebirds and die. What I'll do is roost and preform even more bravebirds. Charti Berry is there so talon flame has a chance of taking out opponents with rock type moves.

As you may know by reading this, my main two concerns are talonflame and azumarill. I just can't figure out what to do with them. If you could provide a nice assault vest scrafty Spread that would be highly appreciated! Other than those main things any clever Obama nicknames would gladly be accepted. Thanks for reading this and make sure to post your thoughts.

Thank you so much for reading this. Have a merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hey dude, nice team...just a couple of changes
-your team really needs a counter to char-y, so instead of talon i think some one like a lando, actually incarnate one would do good for you, You can also run heatran with ancient power to counter char-y and it also checks aegi and mawile.
- also use choice band azu, its really effective under TR , I myself have used it a lot superpower from it KOes mega kanga and acts as a excellent check to heatran and co with totally run over your team, also checks mega camerupt under TR with aqua jet.

Hi Vert84 and merry Christmas :) Cool looking team, it reminds me a lot of Checkmater's infamous team with a different mega and different fire/fairy Pokemon. You said that you didn't like setting up a Belly Drum and I can see why, you don't have any redirection support so I would suggest trying out Life Orb Azumarill with Knock Off/Super Power/Waterfall over Belly Drum all are decent options. With both of setters being weak to Dark(which like 90% of tr setters are) I would suggest using Colbur Berry on Jellicent over Sitrus which doesn't make much sense when you already have Recover. I really like Talonflame it's proablably one of the best Pokemon in doubles but not with a bulky roost set. I've tried bulky sets in the past and they just don't work because Talonflame is naturally frail and with the possibility of 2 things attacking it at once it can't take those hits. I would suggest using either Life Orb or even Choice Band. With Life Orb because you don't need Tailwind or Will-O-Wisp I would use either Taunt or Quick Guard to help support the team and get Trick Room up. With Choice Band I would use 4 attacks: Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, Steel Wing, and U-Turn. Talonflame's speed on Trick Room can be a little tricky and depends on whether or not you want to outspeed things you don't Brave Bird in TR or out of it. If you want to outspeed those things IN Trick Room I would probably ev it to live an opposing Talonflame's Life Orb Brave Bird or a Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt. Those are just 2 things that come to mind. Ok for Scrafty I do think an Assault Vest would be a better fit but the only set I could find didn't tell me what the spread did so I don't want to give you something without knowing what it does so if you could tell me what your spread does so I can mold the 2 together and not step on any of your benchmarks that would be great. Also I would suggest using Low Kick over Drain Punch because it does more damage to popular things like Heatran, Kyurem-B, and Kangaskhan while DP usually doesn't recover enough health back to merit its use.

Ok that's it hope I was helpful. If you could tell me what your spreads do(primarily Abomasnow bc that one is really odd lol) . They look fine I'm just curious that's all. If you have any questions about the changes or doubles in general feel free to ask. Also sorry I couldn't give you any good Obama names 3:

Azumarill @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Protect

Jellicent (M) @ Colbur Berry
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- U-turn

Hey dude, nice team...just a couple of changes
-your team really needs a counter to char-y, so instead of talon i think some one like a lando, actually incarnate one would do good for you, You can also run heatran with ancient power to counter char-y and it also checks aegi and mawile.
- also use choice band azu, its really effective under TR , I myself have used it a lot superpower from it KOes mega kanga and acts as a excellent check to heatran and co with totally run over your team, also checks mega camerupt under TR with aqua jet.
For char y I have scrafty with stone edge. Now that may not sound like an effective counter, but I almost always lead with scrafty. And you know what else is always lead: charazard y.
I do like your suggestion of choice band Azumarill and I will do some testing with it. Thanks for rating!!!

Last edited:
Hi Vert84 and merry Christmas :) Cool looking team, it reminds me a lot of Checkmater's infamous team with a different mega and different fire/fairy Pokemon. You said that you didn't like setting up a Belly Drum and I can see why, you don't have any redirection support so I would suggest trying out Life Orb Azumarill with Knock Off/Super Power/Waterfall over Belly Drum all are decent options. With both of setters being weak to Dark(which like 90% of tr setters are) I would suggest using Colbur Berry on Jellicent over Sitrus which doesn't make much sense when you already have Recover. I really like Talonflame it's proablably one of the best Pokemon in doubles but not with a bulky roost set. I've tried bulky sets in the past and they just don't work because Talonflame is naturally frail and with the possibility of 2 things attacking it at once it can't take those hits. I would suggest using either Life Orb or even Choice Band. With Life Orb because you don't need Tailwind or Will-O-Wisp I would use either Taunt or Quick Guard to help support the team and get Trick Room up. With Choice Band I would use 4 attacks: Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, Steel Wing, and U-Turn. Talonflame's speed on Trick Room can be a little tricky and depends on whether or not you want to outspeed things you don't Brave Bird in TR or out of it. If you want to outspeed those things IN Trick Room I would probably ev it to live an opposing Talonflame's Life Orb Brave Bird or a Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt. Those are just 2 things that come to mind. Ok for Scrafty I do think an Assault Vest would be a better fit but the only set I could find didn't tell me what the spread did so I don't want to give you something without knowing what it does so if you could tell me what your spread does so I can mold the 2 together and not step on any of your benchmarks that would be great. Also I would suggest using Low Kick over Drain Punch because it does more damage to popular things like Heatran, Kyurem-B, and Kangaskhan while DP usually doesn't recover enough health back to merit its use.

Ok that's it hope I was helpful. If you could tell me what your spreads do(primarily Abomasnow bc that one is really odd lol) . They look fine I'm just curious that's all. If you have any questions about the changes or doubles in general feel free to ask. Also sorry I couldn't give you any good Obama names 3:

Azumarill @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Protect

Jellicent (M) @ Colbur Berry
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- U-turn
I think life orb azumarill would work very well. Now if do keep life orb then I will probably choose waterfall over Aqua jet, as I really don't like the double priority. Unless I use a choice band like darksylvion suggested. I never really thought of colbur berry myself, but I think it's a really great addition. Allowing jelly to last even longer than before. As much as I don't want to, I'll try the choice band talonflame. It probably is better, but I'm ignorant. I'll be trying low kick and see how it does in action.
Now for the Aboma spread. It's a bit dull but I believe it lives talonflames bravebird and hydregons dracometor. It's okay about the nicknames though. Thank you so much for rating me!!!

I think life orb azumarill would work very well. Now if do keep life orb then I will probably choose waterfall over Aqua jet, as I really don't like the double priority. Unless I use a choice band like darksylvion suggested. I never really thought of colbur berry myself, but I think it's a really great addition. Allowing jelly to last even longer than before. As much as I don't want to, I'll try the choice band talonflame. It probably is better, but I'm ignorant. I'll be trying low kick and see how it does in action.
Now for the Aboma spread. It's a bit dull but I believe it lives talonflames bravebird and hydregons dracometor. It's okay about the nicknames though. Thank you so much for rating me!!!
You could use Waterfall over Aqua Jet it's up to you. Aqua Jet just has a good chance to OHKO Talonflame and it goes before Brave Bird if you're in Trick Room and it also OHKOs Mega Camerupt which isn't that common but a huge threat to your team. If you don't like Banded Talon make sure to try out the Life Orb set with Taunt or even Quick Guard that I mentioned. A majority of Hydreigon use Fire Blast as their coverage move so I would just max out Abomasnow's special attack and put the leftover evs in special defense.

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 224 Atk / 44 Def
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge

This set lives a Keldeo Life Orb Secret Sword and the rest is thrown into attack. When I suggested Low Kick I was thinking of the Life Orb set where it can actually OHKO things but with Assault Vest I would definitely use Drain Punch to better handle Kyurem-B and Heatran sorry for misleading you.

Last edited:
You could use Waterfall over Aqua Jet it's up to you. Aqua Jet just has a good chance to OHKO Talonflame and it goes before Brave Bird if you're in Trick Room and it also OHKOs Mega Camerupt which isn't that common but a huge threat to your team. If you don't like Banded Talon make sure to try out the Life Orb set with Taunt or even Quick Guard that I mentioned. A majority of Hydreigon use Fire Blast as their coverage move so I would just max out Abomasnow's special attack and put the leftover evs in special defense.

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge

This set lives a Keldeo Life Orb Secret Sword and the rest is thrown into attack. When I suggested Low Kick I was thinking of the Life Orb set where it can actually OHKO things but with Assault Vest I would definitely use Drain Punch to better handle Kyurem-B and Heatran sorry for misleading you.
So first off I have been enjoying banded Talonflame. As much as I prefer it being bulky, I think the power is better. Thank you SO much for the assualt vest scrafty, as it will be very helpful. I also commend you for pointing out your mistake, as some people won't do that. I also appreciate you pointing out my EVs for Obamasnow, as they did need to be fixed. Now we have the small azumarill conflict. What I'm thinking is: I'll keep life orb, and j won't run waterfall over aqua jet. I'm going to run waterfall and aqua jet. I looked over the pros and cons of waterfall/aqua jet, superpower, and knock off, and I think waterfall with aqua jet is the best option. I already have knock off, and lots of other moves that hit similar things a dark type move would hit. Superpower really only checks kang and Rock type. With rock types being checked by aqua jet already. Aqua jet does what you already listed and waterfall takes out similar threats, but the bulkier ones. Once again I thank you for you're amazing help!!!

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge

Oh one more thing. Why impish and not relaxed. Also why keep the 31 speeds IVS?

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
tbh even on tr talonflame kinda still wants speed because a lot of the time its still gonna have to function outside trick room like against fake out leads and shit where you wont get tr up right away, or in between sets, and it really sucks to get popped by opposing prio before you attack. I recomend trying this out 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe Adamant Nature on bird. it hits 300 spe so its faster than max neutral 100's like kanga and it always lives opposing brave birds so you beat them with the cool slower bb, and also always lives lo bisharp knock offs even when you're holding an item so you can pop it with the flare blitz even under trick room. BTW bisharp is not a fun matchup for your team, so u might wanna look at that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)