Lilligant

Doredia

Doreidia is an unassuming and kindly looking Grass-type, with middling stats to match. With access to a deep supportive movepool as well as an incredible new boosting move, where will this lovely lady find herself among the powerhouses of Gen V?

Code:
[B]#549 Doredia
[/B]Typing: Grass
Ability 1: 
   Chlorophyll
    Boosts the Pokémon’s Speed in sunshine. 
Ability 2:     
   Own Tempo
    Prevents the Pokémon from becoming confused.  
Ability 3: (Dream World)
   Leaf Guard
    Prevents status problems in sunny weather.     

HP:  70
Atk: 60
Def: 75
SpA: 110
SpD: 75
Spe: 90

[B]Pre-Evo Moves:[/B]
Lv1: Absorb
Lv10: Sleep Powder
Lv19: Magical Leaf
Lv22: Stun Spore
Lv26: Giga Drain
Lv28: Aromatherapy
Lv31: Helping Hand
Lv35: Energy Ball
Lv37: Assemble Crew
Lv40: Sunny Day
Lv44: You First
Lv46: Leaf Storm

[B]Level-Up Moves:[/B]
Lv1: Growth
Lv1: Leech Seed
Lv1: Mega Drain
Lv1: Synthesis
Lv10: Teeter Dance
Lv28: Butterfly Dance
Lv46: Petal Dance

Assemble Crew: Normal Other PP: 15 / Power: --- / Accuracy: ---
Makes target's ability the same as the user's.

You First: Normal Other PP: 15 / Power: --- / Accuracy: ---
Makes the target move immediately after the user.

Butterfly Dance: Bug Other PP: 20 / Power: --- / Accuracy: ---
Raises Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed by 1 stage.
[B]
TM Moves:[/B]
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solarbeam
TM27 - Return
TM32 - Double Team
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Echo Voice
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM75 - Swords Dance
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
HM01 - Cut

Echo Voice: Normal Special PP: 15 / Power: 40 / Accuracy: 100
Deals more damage if used every turn.

[B]Egg Moves:[/B]
Natural Gift
Charm
Endure
Ingrain
Worry Seed
Grasswhistle
Sweet Scent
Bide
Healing Wish

Butterfly Dance
Simply put, this move is amazing and is one of the few things separating Doredia from similar Grass-types. Surprisingly enough, Doredia's stats work extremely well with this move with her focus on SpA and Speed. Unfortunately, Doredia's typing lets it down here. Her STAB isn't very good offensively and her offensive movepool is miniscule. (More on that below.)

Support

Doredia has access to almost any support move you'd expect from a Grass-type. She can spread status with Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, or Teeter Dance or cure your team of them with Aromatherapy. Other support moves include Leech Seed, Healing Wish, Safeguard, Charm, Swagger, and Light Screen

Typing/STAB
Like most Grass-types, Doredia's offensive movepool is just awful. The only options she has for a secondary special attacks are Hidden Power and Dream Eater. Although she has access to powerful Grass attacks (included a buffed and Confusion free Petal Dance thanks to Own Tempo), Grass isn't normally seen as a good offensive type.

Stats
Doredia's stats aren't horrible but they're not great either. She's somewhat bulky at 70/75/75 but her 110 SpA and 90 Spe are dwarfed by the increasingly powerful Pokemon of the 5th Gen.

Here is a potential set:

Doredia @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid/Modest
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Hidden Power (Fire)/Hidden (Ground)
-Butterfly Dance
-Sleep Powder

So what do you think of our new Grass-type?

Edit: Could a mod please change the thread title to "Doredia"?

She can be an possibly effective lead under Sunny Day teams. Oh, and wow, she has Sleep powder. Basically, she's Roserade with a bit more bulk, no weakness to psychic moves and faster under sunlight. Whoopee-doo.

Doreida @ Focus Sash/Heat Rock
Chlorophyll
I suck at EVs. Sorry :(
- Sunny Day
- Energy Ball/Solarbeam/Leech Seed
- Hidden power ~ Fire
- Sleep powder

A standstill here. Cross you fingers, hope that Sleep powder hits, and Sunny Day. To annoy even more, use Leech Seed. :D

I've theorized sets based on its two other abilities :D

Doreida @ Life Orb
Own Tempo
N/A
- petal dance
- sleep powder
- Leech Seed/Hidden power Fire
- Butterfly Dance

I really hate the lack of even at least Focus Blast :/

Doreida @ Heat Rock
Leaf Guard
N/A
- You First/Helping Hand
- Stun Spore/Sleep powder
- Safeguard/Sunny Day/Leech Seed
- ???

A more supportive Doreida. Either use You First and Helping Hand on one of your teammates. Considering that strategy will play a bit more in Double and Triple Battles.

Stun Spore can help slow down base 95s and above that will outspeed Doreida and its partner if sunlight isn't under effect. To stall a bit more, Sleep powder is the way.

A more supportive option is to use Safeguard in conjunction with Leaf Guard. Aromatherapy is Toxic bait. Ofc, Sunny Day, and possibly even Leech Seed

Last slot can be any attacking move. Maybe a Grass-type one, hmm?

I really like her. She might not be good enough for OU but she will definatly be an option for UU. I can't imagine a decent poke with Butterfly Dance and Sleep Powder won't see any use.

I really like her. She might not be good enough for OU but she will definatly be an option for UU. I can't imagine a decent poke with Butterfly Dance and Sleep Powder won't see any use.
True, it's just a shame that her offensive movepool is that bad.

Also, a note for anyone else thinking of movesets, Giga Drain is 75 power this gen.

Personally I use a roserade lead a lot (Focus sash with sleep powder). So I can see this being the sunny day equivalent.

Might be an idea to give stun spore to hit people as they switch out there sleeping pokemon (I very rarely ever encounter anyone that leaves a sleeper in).

Modest/focus sash
252 S.Atk 252speed 4hp

Chlorophyll
Sleep powder
Stun spore
Sunny Day
Giga drain

Mono attacking may not be perfect however you have taken out two of there pokemon with status (ideally) so may be lacking with grass resists, can always switch out after second status to another sunny day(er) then switch back in and continue with status.

Not sure for the last one. I'm seeing this as a suicide lead, I think I'll try to use this as one. Get as much status around as possible.

Leaf Storm would work in that last slot.

I think the Sunny Day setup will probably be done better by Erufuun or Jumpluff though. (Or Ninetales, of course xD)

Well probably all of her sets are going to include Sleep Powder (I can't see why not) and of course you're going to want her STAB so that's 2 move slots taken. Without Sun I would think Butterfly Dance is a must (with sun you could probably get away without it) so you really only need one other move anyway (which HP covers). It sucks that HP is her best coverage option but a number of poke have the same problem so it's not that bad.

Now what to pick if you don't grab Butterfly Dance is a much tougher question.

Is a possible set...
Doreida @ Life Orb
252 S.Atk 252speed 4hp
Own Tempo

Sleep Powder
Dream Eater
Petal Dance
Butterfly Dance

Sleep Powder does have good accuracy and dream eater could possibly help in advancing her coverage (which would be useless to Dark types but good for other things that may resist her Petal Dance). While it would help to recover her from recoil from life orb, which would add to boost her damage together with Butterfly dance.

Well, at least her support movepool will make up for the lack of offensive options: Toxic, Light Screen, Leech Seed, Sleep Powder ,Stun Spore ,Aromatherapy, Teeter Dance and Butterfly Dance.
Yep so basically she is a Roserade without poison typing, though Chlorophyll and Own Tempo (lol Machamp) differentiate her from Roserade.

Is a possible set...
Doreida @ Life Orb
252 S.Atk 252speed 4hp
Own Tempo

Sleep Powder
Dream Eater
Petal Dance
Butterfly Dance

Sleep Powder does have good accuracy and dream eater could possibly help in advancing her coverage (which would be useless to Dark types but good for other things that may resist her Petal Dance). While it would help to recover her from recoil from life orb, which would add to boost her damage together with Butterfly dance.
The problem is if they switch out after being put to sleep (and most people do from my experience) you're left with nothing to Dream Eater and no fourth move at all.

I would use HP Fire over HP Ice on the SubSeeder if you're intending to use this in the sun. Either way you're walled by Heatran (though you outspeed with Chlorophyll activated and can seed him) but here you can hit Nattorei for SE and that's important because its Gyro Balls will hurt and it prevents it from setting up Spikes on you, and it's boosted by the sun so it's going to be hitting harder generally. Especially consider the slew of new grass types - in particular Venusaur with its special bulk and access to Chlorophyll - so you'll be wanting to get rid of them quickly to continue your strategy.

I think she has the ability to do really well. When I first saw her I thought, she would probably be good in sun. With her speed doubled in the sun and sleep powder she is more useful in OU then you think. For example, if politoed or tyranitar tried to come in when she is out nd change the weather, you can sleep them and go back to ninetales to turn the weather back.

Any word on if Petal Dance got the "stops if the attack is not effective" thing that Outrage supposedly got?
This is the first I've heard of that. I honestly think it sounds a little out there, so I'm going to say no until proven otherwise.

Leaf Storm would work in that last slot.

I think the Sunny Day setup will probably be done better by Erufuun or Jumpluff though. (Or Ninetales, of course xD)

Ah yeah makes sense, well then dream eater could be an interesting option for mind games.

Forgot about those two. I like jumpluff and Eruffun seems pretty similar (speedy cotton weed). I'd personally save ninetails for a switch in later for sun or at the very least have a few with sun. Keep ninetails hidden, although may be rather annoying to switch it in, although if CB scizor is still just as common might have some time

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well that sucks. Guess we have to stick with grass knot/energy ball.
Running Energy Ball over Giga Drain is absurd, Energy Ball only has 5 more base power than Giga Drain, and Giga Drain helps a lot with restoring HP.

(Giga Drain's power is 75 in Gen 5.)

The problem is if they switch out after being put to sleep (and most people do from my experience) you're left with nothing to Dream Eater and no fourth move at all.
HP ice or fire could take up the other slot. Though the issue with Doreida - which should be obvious - is that the poor thing lacks coverage. Grass is hurt big time by the introduction of many viable bug Pokemons - whose mixture actually help them to resist grass further and even possibly could resist her HP fire or ice (thanks to some being mixed with steel/ground/fire). Another thing I worry about is what coverage does she have against grass from sunny day teams?

Perhaps looking into making a more supportive set would be more viable for her since she just doesn't have the coverage to be a sweeper :(

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
A LO Sun Sweeper seems perfect for this Pokemon (Ninetails :'D) Butterfly Dance Up, and send out STAB SolarBeams. She might even take a hit due to Butterfly Dance. Sleep Powder anything that you can't kill, and Butterfly Dance more so that you can kill it.

Doreida @ Life Orb
252 Sp.Atk /252 Speed / 4 HP Modest
~SolarBeam
~Hidden Power Fire / Ice
~Sleep Powder
~Butterfly Dance

HP ice or fire could take up the other slot. Though the issue with Doreida - which should be obvious - is that the poor thing lacks coverage. Grass is hurt big time by the introduction of many viable bug Pokemons - whose mixture actually help them to resist grass further and even possibly could resist her HP fire or ice (thanks to some being mixed with steel/ground/fire). Another thing I worry about is what coverage does she have against grass from sunny day teams?

Perhaps looking into making a more supportive set would be more viable for her since she just doesn't have the coverage to be a sweeper :(
I don't think she needs to worry about grass coverage so much as Fire coverage. Hp Fire seems like a must for her fourth move which means she is walled by fire types. Outside of hitting Fire though Grass/Fire isn't the worse coverage possible (and works well with Sunny Day).

On the other hand, does she have the defenses to be a support poke? 70/75/75 isn't super terrible but it's not good either. Is she good enough to take Meganium's spot as a cleric (who is sporting an 80/100/100)? Or Venasaur/Roserade/Jumpluff's spot as a status/leecher?

It really seems to me that Butterfly Dance is her claim to fame and without useing it she ends up a slightly more offensive but a fair bit less bulky Venasaur (and without Vena's Poison Type).

It's a shame it doesn't get Spore, but at least it has access to Sleep Powder. Own Tempo + Petal Dance seems useful if you don't have sunlight, but Sunlight really helps Doreida, especially since it wants insta-solar beams and a possible boost to HP Fire. Being an even faster leech seeder under the sun isn't bad either, though having Own Tempo + Petal Dance lets it function on other teams.

I think Doreida will probably be one of the better UU Grass types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)