(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I had to credit the fact that they added Nidoran (and I think Mankey too? can't remind) to the early catchable pokes, and iirc they actually added Double kick to its move pool in Yellow, specifically so trainers could get a realistic way to beat Brock even with just Pikachu.
People playing Blue had a sizeable advantage over Red due to Caterpie being present in the forest and learning Confusion shortly after evolving, though.

As for me... I thought a bit out of the box at the time. I caught like 3 pidgeys, spammed Sand Attack to drop Onix's accuracy, and then EVENTUALLY grinded it down with gust/tackle.
Oboi it wasn't fun but hey... it worked I guess.
I remember Mankey was available on Route 22 in FR/LG, but not either Nidoran... And I don't know if this reflects Red or Blue's encounters.

I had to credit the fact that they added Nidoran (and I think Mankey too? can't remind) to the early catchable pokes, and iirc they actually added Double kick to its move pool in Yellow, specifically so trainers could get a realistic way to beat Brock even with just Pikachu.
lol i beat brock with a level 15 pikachu in yellow once. just the pikachu

What I'd do with Onix would be... just making it much smaller. The stats don't fit the large frame, and tiny Rock-types with large defensive stats do exist (Nosepass), while also helping its strangely alright Speed stat. Perhaps reducing it to, say, Arbok or Seviper's size. Big, but not "how could this thing be so weak with its size" big.

In regards to "hardly any Dragon/Fire Pokemon", we could go a little further and talk about Dragon-type Pokemon that are associated with breathing fire. There are barely any. Outside of Dragonite, Salamence and Mega Charizard X, there are no stereotypical european fire-breathing Dragons, and only one of them is a Fire-type as well. There's Reshiram, fine, but wyverns are not as often depicted of breathing fire like other mythological european dragons, though I guess it could count.

And of course, then there's Turtonator which is a Mata mata turtle and it makes even less sense but whatever.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*Watched Part 22 of HFC's Ultra Sun Playthrough where they get walled by a Comfey*

Huh, you know, I don't really know what Comfey stats are. Let me check.

Yeah, high defensive though low HP... It has 100 in Speed?!

Of all Gen VII Pokemon, a generation filled with slow mons, COMFEY is one of the fast ones? Why? It's a wall healer. It's Ability, Triage, gives healing moves increased priority!

*Watched Part 22 of HFC's Ultra Sun Playthrough where they get walled by a Comfey*

Huh, you know, I don't really know what Comfey stats are. Let me check.

Yeah, high defensive though low HP... It has 100 in Speed?!

Of all Gen VII Pokemon, a generation filled with slow mons, COMFEY is one of the fast ones? Why? It's a wall healer. It's Ability, Triage, gives healing moves increased priority!
I dunno but Comfey pissed me off in USUM Lurantis fight. Seriously. It sucked xD

In regards to "hardly any Dragon/Fire Pokemon", we could go a little further and talk about Dragon-type Pokemon that are associated with breathing fire. There are barely any. Outside of Dragonite, Salamence and Mega Charizard X, there are no stereotypical european fire-breathing Dragons, and only one of them is a Fire-type as well. There's Reshiram, fine, but wyverns are not as often depicted of breathing fire like other mythological european dragons, though I guess it could count.

And of course, then there's Turtonator which is a Mata mata turtle and it makes even less sense but whatever.
A pretty high number of dragon-types do learn Fire moves, though.

I really dislike how generic the male player is compared to the female player across the franchise. Basicly all consist of only 3! colours and it almost always the same. Red cap, blue jacket, black trousers or shorts. Sometimes they swaped the colours around like Brendans red shirt or FRLG Red trousers but come on. In comparision the female players are much more colourfull and differentiated. I know that you can change your outfit in newer games but still, this shit is not aceptable. A lead player should not be such a generic mess untill you get some new clothes.

I really dislike how generic the male player is compared to the female player across the franchise. Basicly all consist of only 3! colours and it almost always the same. Red cap, blue jacket, black trousers or shorts. Sometimes they swaped the colours around like Brendans red shirt or FRLG Red trousers but come on. In comparision the female players are much more colourfull and differentiated. I know that you can change your outfit in newer games but still, this shit is not aceptable. A lead player should not be such a generic mess untill you get some new clothes.
I'd pin the blame on this one to gender fashion stereotypes, though I'm not entirely sure if it's the same in Japan as it's in the western countries.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Though to be fair the girls too have a bit of fashion staleness, apparently in the Pokemon world no girls wear pants, only skirts or shorts (and they're really short). Also long hair with hair hanging out on either side of the face (not sure what you call that).

But yeah, the default designs really hammer down the male's default designs to primarily blue clothes and a red hat. I don't really mind since the new games have customization so I'm going to change their clothes anyway (though even then boys have limited options).

Though to be fair the girls too have a bit of fashion staleness, apparently in the Pokemon world no girls wear pants, only skirts or shorts (and they're really short). Also long hair with hair hanging out on either side of the face (not sure what you call that).

But yeah, the default designs really hammer down the male's default designs to primarily blue clothes and a red hat. I don't really mind since the new games have customization so I'm going to change their clothes anyway (though even then boys have limited options).
Of course the female default designs arent perfect but in contrast to the male counterpart they are like day and night. While most of them have long hair (though Kris, May and Lyra have shorther hair) and wear a skirt or shorts ALL of the male players wear the same throwaway bluish-black trousers and have basicly no hairstyle.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It's also kind of worrying how all the female designs wear skirts whose edge is closer to their crotch than their knees, usually by a factor of two. Heck, May has underpants three times as long as the sling-like thing that goes for her shorts, and they still abide to the "closer to crotch than to knees" rule. Hilda is pantsless for all practical purposes (her wrist sleeves are longer than her shorts, and her socks probably constitute more than half the fabric she wears from her waist down), and Dawn's Platinum art has her wearing a microskirt over bare legs as her winter clothes. At least Rosa was allowed to cover up somewhat, although her wetsuit looks like it's painted on her, and apart from it she has the shortest skirt of all.

I mean, "underdressed" doesn't even begin to describe it. And these girls are meant to be eleven.

It's also kind of worrying how all the female designs wear skirts whose edge is closer to their crotch than their knees, usually by a factor of two. Heck, May has underpants three times as long as the sling-like thing that goes for her shorts, and they still abide to the "closer to crotch than to knees" rule. Hilda is pantsless for all practical purposes (her wrist sleeves are longer than her shorts, and her socks probably constitute more than half the fabric she wears from her waist down), and Dawn's Platinum art has her wearing a microskirt over bare legs as her winter clothes. At least Rosa was allowed to cover up somewhat, although her wetsuit looks like it's painted on her, and apart from it she has the shortest skirt of all.

I mean, "underdressed" doesn't even begin to describe it. And these girls are meant to be eleven.
Male character designs are boring and use the same bland color palettes. Female character designs are borderline sexualizing girls aged as young as ten.

Now, of course "Japanese cultural practices are different", but I personally don't consider that a "little thing".

I don't even know if that actually is supposed to be a skirt on Dawn, as it looks more like it's all part of her coat. Point still stands though of these girls showing off an uncomfortable amount of leg for their supposed age.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Furthering onto that point how tf are any of these characters 11 years old, just don’t give a definite age so you don’t double take every time an npc asks you if you’re 11 in game, doesn’t make sense to give the silent protagonist a set age when the player is supposed to project onto the avatar (which is helped by the ambiguous 12-16 year old look they’ve all had recently)

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Furthering onto that point how tf are any of these characters 11 years old, just don’t give a definite age so you don’t double take every time an npc asks you if you’re 11 in game, doesn’t make sense to give the silent protagonist a set age when the player is supposed to project onto the avatar (which is helped by the ambiguous 12-16 year old look they’ve all had recently)
Usually they don't even state the actual age of the PC (think there was some interview somewhere that said the design team went for a look around 16 for the BW1 protagonists), but then of course Gen 7 bucked that trend by having a really explicit statement that both Hau and the PC were 11 via Wicke.

Male character designs are boring and use the same bland color palettes. Female character designs are borderline sexualizing girls aged as young as ten.

Now, of course "Japanese cultural practices are different", but I personally don't consider that a "little thing".
I'd also argue that Japanese cultural differences shouldn't come into this or be an excuse for it. Pokémon is marketed as an english game towards huge english-speaking audiences, most of which include children. It's not exactly something like a sub of an anime or a kamen rider series where the person knows they'll have to be prepared for cultural differences since it wasn't made for them; but the way Nintendo and Game Freak make their games they are completely intended for American, UK, European etc. audiences as well as Japanese -- if you're making a game for a worldwide audience, you need to take into account worldwide sensibilities and not just your own country's sensibilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)