Local Tourney Warstory: Me vs. nomargu46

We had a pretty exciting local tournament in Boston recently and i made it to the finals with a fairly standard team that im sure you guys are familiar with. Prizes at the end of this tournament included a Strategy Guide, a Pokemon Pearl cartridge, and $50 in cash money. So basically, i was in it for that cash, and only that cash. when i reached the final round, i faced off against an opponent who i know fairly well through battles and trades, nomargu46. i have a great deal of respect for nomargu; he's a great breeder who i havent seen battling very often, so i didnt really know what to expect of his team other than "the unexpected." anyways here's how the battle went down:

-Sleep Clause
-Evasion Clause
-OHKO Clause
-Species Clause
-Item Clause
-Ubers Clause (Manaphy, Celebi, and Jirachi disallowed)

as far as the clauses go, pretty standard with Item Clause.

My team:

nomargu's team (ingame name D-Guert):

Let the games begin!

Turn 1:
I sent out Gyarados!
D-Guert sent out Jolteon!
Gyrados' Intimidate cuts Jolteon's attack!

~Intimidate wasn't a complete waste because it could help a bit to stop a sub-passing Jolt, but the obvious switch for me was to Electivire to try and get a sweep this early in the match. Since a switch (in this scenario) was really obvious, i didnt really know what to expect from nomargu other than to just plug away and try to finish off my 'Dos quickly.

I switched out Gyarados!
I sent in Electivire!
Jolteon used Hidden Power! It's Super Effective! (100% damage)
Electivire fainted!

5-6

~Hopefully you fellow Smogon battlers can feel my pain in how tough that is. HP Ground on Jolteon? sure, i expected Hidden Power, but why couldnt he just use Ice or Grass? This got me a little bit flustered early in the match but i played on. HP Ground did a lot, i thought, so for some reason i expected a JolteSpecs (worst name ever?). i brought in the least common jolt switch-in ever, but fairly confidently.

I switched in Skarmory!

Turn 2:
D-Guert switched out Jolteon!
D-Guert switched in Magnezone!
Skarmory used Protect! But it failed!

~So much for scouting... this is a crappy position to be in now, isnt it? at least i found out that it is indeed a probable specsjolt because otherwise it'd most likely just stay in.

Turn 3:
Magnezone used Thunderbolt! It's Super Effective! (100% damage)
Skarmory fainted!

4-6

~Nothing i could've done. the worst part was that i got sooo close to giving my Skarm Shed Shell because this was an item clause tourney, but i decided that Leftovers would be more beneficial to him. in this match, not so much.

I switched in Garchomp!

~I'd already seen one weird HP on his electric pokes, and wasnt exactly sure what to expect out of magnezone. still, noone keeps a magnezone in on garchomp, HP Ice or not. so i decided to Dance.

Turn 4:
Garchomp used Swords Dance!
Magnezone used Hidden Power! It's Super Effective! (100% damage)
Garchomp fainted!

3-6

~Completely outplayed. Props to my opponent. At this point the battle was not looking warstory-able.

I switched in Blissey!

~Magnezone can't do shit to Blissey (other than explode!)

Turn 5:
D-Guert switched in Swellow!
Blissey used Thunder Wave! Swellow was paralyzed!

~At this point I reflected to myself, damn how badly am i playing? It had been going so well today up until this point too...

Turn 6:
I switched in Heatran!
Swellow used Facade! It's not very effective... (70% damage)

~Not very effective my ass

Turn 7:
Heatran used Hidden Power! It's Super Effective! (100% damage!)
Swellow fainted!

3-5

~I suppose even Guts pokemon hate paralysis

D-Guert switched in Sceptile! WTF?

~I know Sceptile is faster than me, and yes i'm Choice Spec'd so i need to switch because HP Electric wont hurt him much, but wtf is Sceptile doing switching in on Heatran? anyways most sceps these days are Spectiles, so i switch in this ho.

Turn 8:
I switch in Blissey!
Sceptile used Swords Dance!

~Fuck. I have Counter, no Ice Beam, to counter a physical attacker, but i dont feel comfortable Countering a Swords Dancer. So i switch.

Turn 9:
I switch in Heatran!
Sceptile used Earthquake! It's Super Effective! (30% damage)
Heatran fainted!

2-5

~GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

I switch in CounterBliss.

Turn 10:
Sceptile used Leaf Blade. A Critical Hit! (100% damage)
Blissey fainted!

1-5

~I'm getting outplayed, outlucked, outEVERYTHING'd. and i Countered on that turn too...

I switch in Gyarados.

Turn 11:
Sceptile used Leaf Blade! (80% damage) Gyarados' Salac Berry raised its Speed!
Gyarados used Dragon Dance!
Gyarados' Attack raised! Gyrados' Speed raised!

~Bullshit Item Clause hold items finally benefit me. actually, throughout the course of the day, my Gyara's salac activated quite a few more times than i expected it to. Also, no Crit is nice.

Turn 12:
Gyarados used Ice Fang! It's Super Effective! (100% damage)
Sceptile fainted!

1-4

D-Guert switched in Jolteon!

~Surely i'm faster than a regular old Jolteon. if this is his switch-in to a +2 Spd, +1 Atk Gyarados, dare i hope for a sweep? I also hoped this wasnt a bullshit Choice Scarf Jolt.

Turn 13:
Gyarados used Earthquake! It's Super Effective! (100% damage)
Jolteon fainted!

1-3

D-Guert switched in Metagross!

Turn 14:
Gyarados used Earthquake! A Critical Hit! It's Super Effective! (100% damage)
Metagross fainted!

1-2

~I don't think i needed that crit. But crits are always appreciated during a late-game sweep (as long as they benefit me).

D-Guert switched in Infernape!

~Before selecting a move for Infernape and Gyarados this turn, I cockily told nomargu "gg" and he said, "well played my friend." then he stopped and told me his Magnezone was holding Brightpowder. We joked about it, but he was telling the truth (apparently his Leftovers were taken up on Metagross).

Turn 15:
Gyarados used Waterfall! A Critical Hit! It's Super Effective! (100% damage)
Infernape fainted!

1-1

~Again, I really don't think i needed that Crit.

D-Guert switched in Magnezone!

Turn 16:
Gyarados used Earthquake! Gyarados' Attack missed!
Magnezone used Thunderbolt! It's Super Effective! (20% damage)

0-1

D-Guert (nomargu46) Wins!

~I was speechless. To tell you the truth, I still don't know what to say about this. i suppose Brightpowder hax had been happening all day up until this point, but this was absolutely the WORST time for it. nomargu immediately burst into somewhat held back laughter, but he was really in a world of hilarity at this. he kept saying "I told you it would work! I told you he was 'Powdered for a reason!" He then accepted his prizes and handed the strategy guide to me, joking, "take this. judging by that PowderZone sweep, you clearly have a lot to learn." I guess I didn't really notice it, but Magnezone really can deal out some damage. it killed off half my team.

Props:

HP Electric Heatran finally pays off
Made it to the final round
SalacDos FTW!

Slops:

Overall, even though i lost on hax, i was outplayed for the most part
nomargu's outprediction was just ridiculous
decision against Shed Shell on Skarmory
fucking brightpowder cost me 50 bucks...

Turn 6:
I switched in Heatran!
Swellow used Facade! It's not very effective... (70% damage)

~Not very effective my ass
I actually loled at this part, you made alot of bad moves in that match like the immediate Electivire switchin but it was an enjoyable warstory due to the commentary....good job. Your opponents prediction was nice although a bit reckless in his play style :P

That was a pretty funny warstory, nice read. Alot of hax though. So, how many people were attending? Where was this? (I mean, inside Boston).

Whoa, those were some amazing predictions on Nomargu's part (And HP Ground Jolt? First time I've seen that one).

It also goes to show just how deadly Gyarados really is, basically getting a complete sweep only stopped by hax that wouldn't even have happened if it weren't for Brightpowder.

Wow. Brightpowder. Wow.
I've spent hours working my way through Battle Tower offline to get swept by Brightpowder/Lax incense hax. You surely got outplayed, which is somewhat disappointing while reading the Warstory, but overall a very enjoyable read.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Heh, nomargu pulled off some amazing predictions there. You didn't play that badly, you just got outpredicted. That was a really good warstory though, nice balance of commentary and battle, heh, way to go. Amazing comeback at the end.

I loved reading this. I honestly thought he was bluffing with the BrightPowder thing, and I lold in the end. Good warstory.

Lol, I've lost to Brightpowder hax as well, so I know your pain. Not a bad battle, nomargu pulled off some amazing prediction sequences. And I've never seen HP Ground of Jolteon before, but I suppose that may be why he carries it.

Awesome prediction on his behalf; and awesome comeback on yours. Btw, where was the tournament? GyaraEvire is so common; you shoulda just switched to Blissey right away so he would think there was no Evire then you coulda got your speed boost when he tried again? Iono. LOL short; but some-what amazing battle if you get what I mean.

haha i remember this tournament strawberry, come on that happened like 2 months ago it wasnt that recent. anyways i just read over it and remembering how sick of a final battle this was. i didnt really get any close matches until this final one when my B-Powder prevailed just as i had planned it to. i know i've said it before, but a very gg. and props for actually typing up a losing warstory too.

i notice a bunch of people commenting on HP Ground Jolteon above me. I originally bred him to be an HP Ground Espeon to hit Metagross, Tyranitar, Heatran and Houndoom with one move, but i kept the baby Eevee of course and trained up this Jolteon right before the match. as far as i can remember, pretty much any time Gyarados is a lead, the 'Vire is waiting at the helm. i brought this Jolt in slight anticipation of that, but moreso just expecting you to use a Heatran and Metagross. i guess the game is totally turned around when you know your opponent's battle style as well as i've come to know yours and a few others. thoroughly surprised at no CBGross on your team though.

I like your commentary, it was snide in the way you were trash-talking throughout the whole match.

and as a final note,
Wow. Brightpowder hax is one of the WORST ways to lose.
it's also the funniest way to win :naughty:

Whoa, those were some amazing predictions on Nomargu's part (And HP Ground Jolt? First time I've seen that one).

It also goes to show just how deadly Gyarados really is, basically getting a complete sweep only stopped by hax that wouldn't even have happened if it weren't for Brightpowder.
To be fair, Nomargu did have quite the Ice/Ground weakness, so Ice Fang/Earthquake Gyarados was almost tailor-made to sweep his team. It surely would have done if it weren't for some costly mistakes early-game such as switching in Vire instead of Blissey first turn, and boldly assuming that Magnezone would switch in front of Garchomp.

good warstory one of the most interesting I have read in quite a while. props to both of you but damn Nomargu you were in the zone with all those predictions I was really impressed, awesome breeder and battler!.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Here's my "for the record" statement: You did need that critical hit to OHKO Metagross. Without the critical hit, it would have done at most ~80%, unless the Metagross had poor Defense IVs or a negative nature, which based on your opponent's decent skill level is a possibility that I can discount.

wow i guess Gyara isnt as powerful as i thought... man i suppose there may have been luck balancing out on both sides of the EQuation. also, for those of you hoping to find local tourneys in the Boston area, this particular one was held exactly in Lincoln, MA (about 15-20 minutes out of the center of the city). after making a splash in JAA, i get notifications every month or so about upcoming tournaments. they're cool and all but many are pay-to-play, and i aint made of money.

wow great prediction skillz by the guy you're up against... i wanna battle one of u guys soooo bad now. this was one of the more enjoyable warstories to read. brilliant!

haha strawberry, now you've got people posting in my trade thread asking for HP Ground Jolt... i guess it's time to go and revisit that old friend of mine.

i love the support here for good predictions in this match.

where exactly was this tourney. I am just curious cause I am from Boston :]
Lincoln, MA -- exact location was the Lincoln Recreation Center. went down this summer, i kinda delayed posting this for a while because it takes some time to type up a whole warstory. i've got all the other battles recorded but this was by far the coolest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)