Other Looking Ahead to Gen VI Mark II (SEE POSTS #818 & #858)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think the boosting sets would be the most viable, since they can switch to a coverage move or secondary STAB to defeat fairies (Garchomp could use earthquake for instance). Choice locked dragons are just asking for fairies to switch into their Outrages and Draco Meteors.
Well, LO all-out attackers, attack+support or sub+attack options would theoretically be the best.
The reason boosting dragons would be worse than now is because by nature they have limited moveslots and due to having worse type chart match ups now the sweep may be ended by missing a KO due to lack of coverage.

The three I mentioned don't worry as much as Choiced or boosting sets about bad match ups.

I would think the boosting sets would be the most viable, since they can switch to a coverage move or secondary STAB to defeat fairies (Garchomp could use earthquake for instance). Choice locked dragons are just asking for fairies to switch into their Outrages and Draco Meteors.
oh in my earlier post i talked about sets like Sub/roost,DD dragonite and Sub/Roost/CM latios. I was just saying that they will really no longer be viable

That's NOT how Outrage will work. It will be the same as if the opponent had used Protect that turn. So if they switch into turn 1, nothing happens and you switch out. If they switch in turn 2-3, the rampage ends in confusion automatically and you get confused.
You can try it with Thrash on Ghosts or even put Normalize on a Dragon type vs a Ghost in Hackmons.
Of course, they could change this in Gen 6, but I doubt it.
But you do have a good point with parashuffle Dnite and CM Latios losing the freedom to rock a single move with great coverage.
In Pokemon Showdown if Outrage were to last three turns and you protect on the second, Outrage ends and you are not confused. But if Outrage were to last two turns and you protect on the second one Outrage ends and you are confused. Isn't it like this in the game? This might be nitpicking, but if dragons aren't automatically confused they could see safely choose another move to attack fairies.

I think the real problem with Outrage in gen 6 will actually be what happens after you get a kill with it. For example, say if Salamence KO's Rotom-W with outrage, and THEN you bring in your Fairy. Presumably you'll have to use Outrage again, which the immunity soaks up. At that point the rampage will stop, and you can switch. However, this effectively gives the Fairy pokemon 2 turns of set-up; the first when it takes the second Outrage, and then the second on the switch. This is actually a pretty big deal, as it could allow a fairy user to either boost twice, set up 2 layers of spikes, or spikes + SR, or even just get a free revenge kill to take the dragon out of the game.

Of course, this means that you lose a pokemon which isn't great; but it's kind of like revenging Latios with Tyranitar after a Draco Meteor. It's not an ideal situation, but it certainly allows you to minimise the offensive impact of your opponents' dragon.

you can also just switch out to your fairy if they fail to KO your pokemon on the first outrage attack. You will take no damage from the second one and then you can set up or get an attack off when the dragon very likely switches out. I'm totally stating the obvious but the point I'm trying to make is using outrage vs a team who has a fairy type is probably a bad idea and will likely result in outrage seeing a significant drop in usage. Physical dragons in general could take a big hit. dragon claw is quite a bit less powerful, so is dual chop which can miss... will anyone risk the low accuracy on dragon rush? probably not. Honestly special attacking dragons like latios may be the way to go in the dragon department.

Correct me if I am wrong,but I have not been seeing Cresselia being a fairy type (or fairy/psychic) discussion in the past few pages.It is a VERY likely possibility,as Cresselia is a member of the lunar duo and moonblast is a legitimate fairy-type move.Furthermore,Darkrai causes nightmares,while Cresselia prevents them and dark is the opposite of fairy.

Cress will become the best dragon counter in OU thanks to absolutely monstrous bulk,and it does not need to waste a slot for ice beam and opt for a STAB instead.If it is pure fairy,Latios is the only dragon that will give it minor problems,as it can just trick it a specs (psyshock ain't doin nothin to max/max Cress).Furthermore,it even if it is a psychic/fairy type,it will no longer fear Scizor and Tyranitar(in fact,Tyranitar may be scared of switching in).Levitate grants it the ability to switch in to a +6 Garchomp running the current standard SD set with no worries.

Countering dragons is not all it does,a better defensive typing means that it is a more reliable dual screener,and a better teammate to have in stall teams.Current things that demolish stall teams,like Hydreigon,MixMence,Breloom and SubRoost Kyu-B will be all properly handled by Cress(though it will add a weakness to stallbreaker Crobat,which is not common at all).Getting access to Draining Kiss maybe will be the icing on the cake,because it won't have to rely so much on that semi-unreliable moonlight anymore.A wide distribution of a fairy healing move (like roost) will spell doom for all dragons,and will be a huge boost to Cress.

Overall,I think that Cress will easily crack the top 30 usage statistics in the beginning of the generation,though everything may turn out differently as the generation progresses.

Last edited:
Hey, out of curiosity, do we know whether or not Team Preview will be making a return in these games? If we don't, do we think it will return?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't have a source at hand, but I remember an interview earlier in the year that said team preview will be returning in the next gen.

Yeah i believe there was something that confirmed team preview; can't remember where either.

Also I really can't see Cres being a fairy type.

Speaking of new typings, I think we can see Mismagius as a potent Ghost/Fairy. In Gen V, Mismagius is offensively completely outclassed by Gengar, who has higher offensive stats and Giga Drain and Focus Blast as extra coverage moves. Now, if Mismagius is Ghost/Fairy in Gen VI, it has four immunities (Normal, Fighting, Ground, Dragon), which is an excellent set with three of the four most common offensive types in Gen V. In addition, it no longer has to run HP Ice to beat Dragon-types or Psychic to beat Fighting-types.

Mismagius (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Fairy Wind
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt/Power Gem
-Hidden Power Fire

The new Mismagius sweeper makes an entrance, and is no longer outclassed by Gengar! Fairy Wind is the main STAB to handle all the Dragon and Fighting-types around, letting Mismagius capitalize on its immunities to both types. Shadow Ball is the secondary STAB for Psychic and Ghost-types, and is very reliable. The third slot depends on the weather dominance in Gen VI (assuming auto-weather is not banned to Ubers). If Politoed continues to dominate, Thunderbolt will be a good move to handle it, but if MegaCharizard lets Sun rule, Power Gem will be a good move for MegaCharizard and friends such as Volcarona. Lastly, Hidden Power Fire lets Mismagius combat its Steel-type weakness and better handle Ferrothorn, Scizor, etc.

Of course, this is all assuming Mismagius gets the typing I propose, but it would almost definitely be a boost for it.

That Mismagius idea is pretty interesting, assuming it does in fact get the fairy typing. It's certainly a possibility, and if it does happen, those beautiful immunities would be fantastic (seriously, that thing would be a hard stop to any Dragons that rely on Dragon/Ground coverage). Actually, I think that raises an interesting question; what are some pokemon that have a good chance of getting the Fairy type, and what kind of an impact would that have on the metagame? Mismagius is one possibility, what are some others?

I don't really get what we're basing pokemon like mismagius becoming fairy type on
The Mismagius line is based off of a Banshee, with elements of a witch. It's classification is the Magical pokemon.

Cresselia is probably the most fairy-like pokemon after Celebi, with it's focus on the moon and being a counterpart to Darkrai's nightmares. It's based off the legend of the sandman I believe. Both of these pokemon would be appropriate candidates; not everything has to be small, pink, and cute to qualify.

Personally, I'd rather see Missy run a Sub (or Protect, even) + 3 Attacks or SubCM set. It has the resistances to set up and out speeds Garchomp, making it a viable option. Sub would protect it from Bullet Punch.

Depending on the power of its strongest fairy attack, Specs might be a 3rd option, relying on the powerful coverage of Fairy and supplementary coverage of Ghost. 105 SpA is respectable after all.

I think we can assume that many of the Pokemon in this list will gain Fairy typing:

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/egg/fairy.shtml
Now, while it is quite likely that a good few of the pokemon in the Fairy Egg Group will get the typing, it's almost certain that a good few of them won't. Being in an Egg Group named after a specific type does not guarantee that said pokemon actually has the type; for example, pokemon like Charizard, Gyarados, Arbok, and Scrafty are in the Dragon Egg Group, yet are not actually Dragon types. That being said, we probably will be seeing a few more pokemon of the Fairy Egg Group becoming Fairy types, the most likely candidates being some of the many Normal types of the group such as Clefairy and Togepi. Also, it's already been established that Fairies can come from other Egg groups, as Gardevoir, part of the Amorphous Egg Group, is a Fairy as well.

So bottom-line, what can become a Fairy is not so rigidly defined as simply what's in the Fairy Egg Group. There's a lot more possibilities out there then that.

Can we please stop with all these theories of what will be a fairy-type ESPECIALLY if you are theorizing these already dual typed pokemon will have one of its types replaced by a fairy typing? All the pokemon confirmed to have a type change were mono-typed. Talking about pokemon like Jirachi and Celebi becoming a fairy type is ridiculous.

So bottom-line, what can become a Fairy is not so rigidly defined as simply what's in the Fairy Egg Group. There's a lot more possibilities out there then that.
Absolutely

And yes G-Von, I would like to avoid speculating about potential fairy type additions/replacements such as the mismagius thing. While I don't think everything on the list will be fairy, it would seem it is a guideline (azumarill, mawile, etc). Speculate about azumarill all you want, but a thing that we don't know about yet doesn't seem very likely at all and isn't confirmed doesn't really merit conversation, although I think it would be cool, this thread is almost becoming "Hey, what if X happened". Stuff like Fairy type Cress and Fairy/Steel rachi are too far out there (at least for now)

I mean the speculation of it doesn't bother me, its the pokemon chosen for speculation. Mismagius doesn't really bother me since its a mono-ghost type, but I also do not understand the points of it being a possible fairy. The game comes out in like 3 weeks and then the speculation will be over and we will all know for sure what will be a fairy and what won't be.

I mean the speculation of it doesn't bother me, its the pokemon chosen for speculation. Mismagius doesn't really bother me since its a mono-ghost type, but I also do not understand the points of it being a possible fairy. The game comes out in like 3 weeks and then the speculation will be over and we will all know for sure what will be a fairy and what won't be.
Exactly. I'm saying at least have some VERY solid back up for the pokemon you want to discuss.

The main point of this thread is to discuss megapokemon (go back to the first page to see).What people have turned this into is a Gen 6 speculation thread,talking about fairy-types,outrage mechanics,to the point where they start talking about what pokemon may turn into a fairy type.(I know I am being hypocritical,but stick with me here.)

I know even I started doing that,and maybe I will delete my previous post,but my main point here is:

Stop talking about fairies now and go back to megapokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)