Magic Bounce

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't see why you care? If a pokemon's usage statistics are enough to push it into OU, then that's the end of it. If Espeon is providing enough of a benefit to be put on a team, then it is not a liability.
As long as Electivire is in OU, this argument will never, ever work. Magic Mirror Espeon is a slightly annoying gimmick, but that's all I'm giving it credit for. Annoying + effective is more Breloom's territory.

This is a Magic Mirror thread, not an Espeon thread.

Xatu @ Flame Orb

Ability: Magic Mirror
Timid; 252 HP, 252 Spe, 4 Def
- Night Shade
- Psycho Shift
- Thunder Wave/Confuse Ray
- U-Turn

Switch into a spiker/seeder/whatever and reflect whatever comes at you while Flame Orb activates. Psycho Shift the burn onto the Tyranitar switch-in, and U-turn to safety...

Oh, and Xatu's Grass resistance makes it a better candidate for dealing with Erufuun.

This is a Magic Mirror thread, not an Espeon thread.
In general, Espeon does a better job of using Magic Mirror than Xatu. Of course people are going to pay more attention to it.
Oh, and Xatu's Grass resistance makes it a better candidate for dealing with Erufuun.
Erufuun rarely uses any damaging grass-type moves. U-Turn is much more common.

Hmm, I've always liked Psycho Shift, though. Don't know if Xatu is the best pokémon to use it, especially since it doesn't exactly appreciate being burned (unlike those Psycho Shift + STalker sets, which don't mind status at all). Why not just use the Psycho Shift/Night Shade/Rest/Sleep Talk set on the analysis?

Xatu has a nice thing Espeon has not. Guard Swap, which means that he can act as a bulky thing against foes who have high defense. I dunno if the Swap lasts long, though.

Xatu has a nice thing Espeon has not. Guard Swap, which means that he can act as a bulky thing against foes who have high defense. I dunno if the Swap lasts long, though.
... that's not what Guard Swap does. "Guard Swap switches any changes to the user's Defense stat and Special Defense stat with any changes to the target's Defense stat and Special Defense stat. The effect of Guard Swap may be Baton Passed." Defense boosters are very rare, so it's not particularly useful. (And if you meant Guard Share, Xatu doesn't get that.)

What I like about this ability is, other than getting outright murdered, you are guaranteed to get Trick Room off. Focus Sash certainly helps, which would actually be better on Xatu since he's immune to Spikes/Toxic Spikes (which I assume is only reflected when the move is actually used, not after it's already down, but if entry hazards are up and you've still got this guy in your party, you did something wrong). Weather effects could be a problem and they are both too fast to actually use in the trick room for anything themselves. Also, Magic Mirror counters Gen IV smeargle quite well, however his ability to Baton Pass the Gen V stat-ups are going to make Esp/Xatu look silly when they switch into Smeargle and then smeargle raises his Attack, Sp. Attack, and Speed two stages in one flippin turn.

Edit: Just thought about it, this is probably one of the only counters to those Mischievous Heart pokemon other than faster priority moves and the overuse of Lum berries lol. They can still Sub and Baton Pass on the Magic Mirror duo though.

I kinda like this idea for a support Xatu.

Xatu@Red Card
Jolly 252HP, 252spd, 4 attack
-U-Turn
-Roost
-Reflect/Light Screen
-Tailwind

Predict a SR/Spike/status setup and switch in to reflect it, set up a Tailwind and U-turn out to have a nasty sweeper run them down. Or if you have enough time setup a screen too with Roost to keep Xatu annoying your opponent.

There should be some more love for EspyJump :<

Espeon @ Leftovers
200 HP/56 Sp. Def/252 Spd
Magic Mirror
~Calm Mind
~Substitute
~Baton Pass
~Psychic

Unlike most set-uppers, Erufuun can't screw this one over with Taunt/Encore thanks to Magic Mirror, not to mention you cannot be Phazed by the likes of Skarmory and Suicune.

Erufuun rarely uses any damaging grass-type moves. U-Turn is much more common.
In that case, Xatu is neutral to U-Turn while Espeon is weak against it.

Hmm, I've always liked Psycho Shift, though. Don't know if Xatu is the best pokémon to use it, especially since it doesn't exactly appreciate being burned (unlike those Psycho Shift + STalker sets, which don't mind status at all). Why not just use the Psycho Shift/Night Shade/Rest/Sleep Talk set on the analysis?
I'm not sure if Sleep Talk is compatible with the Dream World ability, as it isn't a TM this gen, and there doesn't seem to be any way to get old moves bred onto a Dream World mon. If there is, I think Early Bird Xatu would be a better user of the RestTalkShift set.

The Xatu I recommended is more to bait out Physical-based Pursuit users and cripple them with Burn (or Paralysis) when they switch in.

couldn't you just pokeshift an Xatu from last gen with sleep talk into B/W then put that Xatu into dreamworld to get his DW ability then just breed it until it has sleep talk and it's DW ability?

unfortunately no, because first you hafta find a Xatu on the dream world with the ability. As far as I know you can't teach pokes new abilities.

I've been running Xatu lead for the last few weeks, a few of you might have come across it :P It was a simple set like this:

Xatu @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature [+Spe -SAtk]
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Toxic
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-U-Turn

It was originally just to start off a Rain team, instead of leading with Rain i'd set up screens and then go to Toed.

What's really fun is keeping Xatu alive and then switching it in against Nattorei as it tries to SR/Spike/TWave/Seed you. Unfortunately Payback/Gyro Ball hurts without Reflect up :(

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I've been running the same build as Dan Dan for quite some time now. Except I run 252 def with a bold nature and thunder wave instead of toxic. This lead makes my own setups much easier to pull off and allow for my shell break cloyster to live through early game revenge killers not named ditto.

Also, this ability automatically checks Breloom (Spore-Substitute-Focus Punch set obviously). Switch in to his Spore, put him to sleep, one free turn to do whatever you want.

Also, this ability automatically checks Breloom (Spore-Substitute-Focus Punch set obviously). Switch in to his Spore, put him to sleep, one free turn to do whatever you want.
Which is exactly why Breloom should always Substitute before using Spore. Not that it would accomplish too much in this case, but it would allow it to smack Xatu with a Focus Punch for free.

hahahaha Magic Mirror.

Darkrai @ Lum Berry
Bad Dreams | Timid
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~Dark Void
~Nasty Plot
~Dark Pulse
~Hidden Power [Fighting]

What can the Magic Coat Pokémon do to this? I'm actually curious. I've been running this and from what I can tell, Espeon and Xatu both lose every time.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I personally run bold Xatu, but even without the defensive investment he is 4x resistant to focus punch.

And Magic mirror is easily bypassed. We understand this. ;_;

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
You seem a little too pleased with yourself for discovering that [faster Dark type] beats [slower Psychic type]. Espeon and Xatu can just switch out to something that beats Darkrai.

In that case you just switch to a sleep absorber, and then give you U-Turner some work to do.

Come on, you don't expect Magic Mirror users to work in every case right?

PS: Ninja'd twice

Yeah, I was just curious if there's something I'd missed that allowed them to beat Darkrai, aside from crippling with a predicted HP Fighting if I were switching him in.

If either one of them have a sub up when Darkrai switches in, he's not doing much back to them either. Espeon has Signal Beam to severely hurt it, maybe even KO with SR, and Xatu can U-Turn out harm-free, and both have access to HP Fighting, like you said.
On a side note, Darkrai can use Focus Blast, can't it? Why would it use HP Fighting?
Besides, with the new sleep mechanics, I just don't see Darkrai being used in the same tier as Espeon and Xatu. Yeah, Magic Mirror is a boon to both, but I still doubt they can compete in the same league as Darkrai, whatever tier that may be.

Important note for espeon builds is that so far people have been getting male Eeveelutions, which means people can't breed DW abilities. No baton pass and no wish on espeon.

Another note: Xatu resists Nattorei's Power Whip and is immune to Hippowdon's Earthquake, meaning it can switch into either for almost no cost and Psycho Shift a Burn onto them. Roost gives it great survivability, and I've outstalled Hippowdon due to Roost's removing Stone Edge weakness. As far as I've seen, every Spiker/SR user is Physically-based, and thus can't do anything to Xatu if they're Burned. The only designated Spiker/Rocker that could pose a problem is Payback Forretress, but Espeon doesn't hold any advantages over Xatu in that respect.

Sounds like subseeders or anyone else trying to wear people down with Status, especially Jalorda, is stopped cold by anything with that ability. :0

As long as Electivire is in OU, this argument will never, ever work. Magic Mirror Espeon is a slightly annoying gimmick, but that's all I'm giving it credit for. Annoying + effective is more Breloom's territory.
Dude have you seen Electivire usage statistics lately their getting lower meaning that he is not used a lot, if their weren't a new gen coming he probably be UU borderline is aiming way too high.

EDIT: tiers are not based on strength there base on usage if they were based on strength then Roselia would be UU

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)