Move Magic room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you might not know what this move does because it is never used competitively:
For 5 turns, all held items have no effect.

Don't build a team around it, just have one setter of it on your team to deal with certain pokemon and make sure your team doesn't suffer too badly under Magic room. Magic room is like a double edged sword in the sense that your items don't work either. However, embargo will always be gimmicky. Yes I know that pokemon can still mega evolve under the effects of Magic room. First of all, let's go over some pokemon that are easier to deal with under the effects of Magic room.

-Gliscor
-Resto-chesto Rotom-W
-Smeargle
-Alakazam
-Most walls
-Anything with the Unburden ability
-Acrobatics users
-Eviolite users
-Scarfers

Let's go over the list. Gliscor can't activate it's Toxic orb under magic room meaning that it has no way of recovery (roost is very uncommon). It is also very common so it makes Magic room slightly less situational. Resto-chesto Rotom-w is literally the most used pokemon at the moment. Try and use Magic room and make that low health Rotom just suicide itself(This works for other resto-chesto users as well but Rotom-w is the most common). Smeargle relies heavily on it's Focus sash because it can't take a hit otherwise and there are a lot of pokemon outspeed it and OHKO it. Alakazam is a lot easier to deal with if it's sash is broken and if it is a mega set then you can still OHKO it quite easily >.>. Most walls rely on their leftovers recovery and don't have any reliable way of healing. Pokemon with the Unburden ability (Hawlucha sems to be common at the moment) need the item to activate their ability and, since they never run speed boosting natures, they are slightly easier to kill. Acrobatics users are really hindered in Magic room (Before they use up their item) as their strongest STAB is halved in power. The most used example is Talonflame and I guess Hawlucha but that isn't too common. Eviolite users suffer greatly as their defenses are only average without their item. Chansey is the most common Eviolite user and it can't take physical hits without it's beloved item (It can still tank special hits quite well). Other less common Eviolite users suffer a lot more. Some scarfers are a lot easier to deal with under the effects of Magic room (Especially Genesect).

Now let's look at some Magic room setters:

Banette
Item: Banettite
EVs:252hp/252atk
Ability: Frisk
Adamant nature
Move 1:Taunt
Move 2:Magic room
Move 3:Phantom force
Move 4:Pain split

Banette is probalby the best user of this move because of both of it's ability Frisk, it can still use it's item under Magic room and it's ability Prankster after mega evolution. it also get's Taunt which is nice. I don't want to go into too much detail about these sets but those are the reasons why Banette is a good user of Magic room.

Klefki
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252hp/252spdef
Calm nature
Ability: Prankster
Move 1:Magic room
Move 2:Spikes
Move 3:Thunder Wave
Move 4:Foul play/Dazzling gleam/Flash cannon

Klefki is a good choice because it is already a good supporter and has the ability Prankster. Also, like Gardevoir, it usually has a free moveslot and Swagger still sucks.

Gardevoir
Item: Gardevoirite
EVs:252spatk/252spe
Ability: Trace
Timid/Modest nature
Move 1:Magic room
Move 2:Hyper voice
Move 3:Psychic/Psyshock
Move 4:Taunt/Will-o-wisp/Focus blast

Gardevoir is a decent option. Mega Gardevoir usually has a free moveslot open so why not give it Magic room? That's pretty much all this set it. It's an offensive Magic room setter.

If Magic room is active, try not to use pokemon that rely on their items too much. Most things are just fine to use under Magic room but these pokemon are good to use:

-Mega pokemon are completely unaffected
-Choiced pokemon have some time to choose their move before locking themselves into something.

Leave your thoughts on Magic room here. Like I said, don't build a team around it and only use it when appropriate. Only have one setter per team and, while it does have some uses, it's not completely game-changing. Still it doesn't suck and helps deal with some common pokemon.

As creative (and gimmicky) as Magic Room is, I don't know if its too viable in the higher tiers. Yes, you can really screw with a ton of scarfers, but I would rather just use Taunt to shut down most walls instead of making them lose their leftovers (and mine). Since most Smeargle are used as leads and often become death fodder once they have done their jobs, its pretty useless to make its Focus Sash useless as Smeargle will most likely spore you on the first turn anyway unless you're using Bannette and taunt on the first turn.

If Magic Room would have prevented Mega Evolution, then I could see it as a much better move, but right now its just way too situational.

As creative (and gimmicky) as Magic Room is, I don't know if its too viable in the higher tiers. Yes, you can really screw with a ton of scarfers, but I would rather just use Taunt to shut down most walls instead of making them lose their leftovers (and mine). Since most Smeargle are used as leads and often become death fodder once they have done their jobs, its pretty useless to make its Focus Sash useless as Smeargle will most likely spore you on the first turn anyway unless you're using Bannette and taunt on the first turn.

If Magic Room would have prevented Mega Evolution, then I could see it as a much better move, but right now its just way too situational.
It is kinda situational so that's why im saying it shouldn't be taken TOO seriously and no teams should be built around it. Howevr, there are some pokemon that rely on their items.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It is very gimicky and definately not worth it. Also it gives a free turn to for the opponent to set up on
-Gliscor
-Resto-chesto Rotom-W
-Smeargle
-Alakazam
-Most walls
-Anything with the Unburden ability
-Acrobatics users
-Eviolite users
-Scarfers.
It doesnt beet gliscor, as long as it is poisoned.
it stops resto chesto rotom for 4 turns and they still get all their health back
if you use magic room, they will spore you and are guaranteed at least 1 hazard, maybe 2
with zam, break its sash instead of magic rooming (same with smeargle)
No ou pokemon have unburden, most users are fast naturally, e.g sceptile
Acrobatics is sean less because of lack of gems.
Eviolite users, doublade wow
scarfers>>>>>> sticky web

Hmm. People are taking this too seriously. This thread was intended to show how a previously overlooked move could have some kind of use in ou and make some people consider it if they have a lot of problems with the pokemon I listed at the top.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
But...it doesn't have any use in OU? The only thing magic room has over knock off is that it prevents mega pokemon from mega evolving (I'm assuming this is the case. But mega stones aren't treated like normal items so someone else will have to confirm this). Except for mega gardevoir, all of the users are so subpar that they're hurt by the loss of an item more so than their opponent. Hell, the move could even hurt your prediction. It lasts for only a few turns and removes your ability to guess or know what item your opponent's pokemon could be using.

Removing items' effects aren't a huge concern, add to the fact that Mons that have access to it usually have better support options and won't find it easy to fit on a moveslot. To put it bluntly, it's a gimmick.

But...it doesn't have any use in OU? The only thing magic room has over knock off is that it prevents mega pokemon from mega evolving (I'm assuming this is the case. But mega stones aren't treated like normal items so someone else will have to confirm this). Except for mega gardevoir, all of the users are so subpar that they're hurt by the loss of an item more so than their opponent. Hell, the move could even hurt your prediction. It lasts for only a few turns and removes your ability to guess or know what item your opponent's pokemon could be using.
No, it does not prevent Mega Evolving.

Last edited:
The other problem with this move is that, because it also prevents your items from working, you would really have to go out of your way to find things, that don't need their items (not many, and probably not enough to support a full team). Since it doesn't prevent mega evolution anyway, it would make much more sense to tack off items with Knock Off.

I'm sorry? Klefki has a LAWNG list of support moves, Banette on the other hand doesn't have AS much, but still a good number of moves it can abuse with Prankster.d Magic Room just doesn't have that much of a threatening presence in OU. This might be better used in a different tier.

It seems to be completely outclassed by Knock Off, which also does damage and doesn't gamble to see whether it pays off or not.

I'm sorry? Klefki has a LAWNG list of support moves, Banette on the other hand doesn't have AS much, but still a good number of moves it can abuse with Prankster.d Magic Room just doesn't have that much of a threatening presence in OU. This might be better used in a different tier.

It seems to be completely outclassed by Knock Off, which also does damage and doesn't gamble to see whether it pays off or not.
Yeah maybe not Klefki. Its not completely outclassed, you would have to hit the things on the switch and use up a turn to use the move. I see where you are coming from but for some of the examples at the top of the thread, Magic room is more convenient.

I could see magic room being viable. It could be deadly when combined with a Mega Sweeper like Lucario as once they reach their Mega Form, I assume they wouldn't be affected. It'd require a good chunk of team support but could definetly be useful.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I think magic room is way more viable in doubles or triples where you still have one or two pokemon free to do something else that turn

The only way I can see magic room being viable is used offensively instead of to beat items on the opposing team. This is how magic room could be useful: it allows you to bulk up scarfed, specs and banded mons. For example, if you send out lets say scarfed Porygon-Z in magic room Porygon-Z can nasty plot up then once its over take advantage of the scarf speed boost to sweep. Magic room as an offensive option is outclassed by Knock Off but as a team support option it can have some potential... I think this is all just theorymonning. It is gimmicky but this is the only way I see magic room played without being a completely inferior Knock Off.

It is very gimicky and definately not worth it. Also it gives a free turn to for the opponent to set up on

It doesnt beet gliscor, as long as it is poisoned.
it stops resto chesto rotom for 4 turns and they still get all their health back
if you use magic room, they will spore you and are guaranteed at least 1 hazard, maybe 2
with zam, break its sash instead of magic rooming (same with smeargle)
No ou pokemon have unburden, most users are fast naturally, e.g sceptile
Acrobatics is sean less because of lack of gems.
Eviolite users, doublade wow
scarfers>>>>>> sticky web
Porygon2 is still a viable eviolite user that could be countered with magic room

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Porygon2 is still a viable eviolite user that could be countered with magic room
So you use gimmicky move just to counter one not too common pokemon which is barely a threat, especcially when you can use knock off, like the person above suggested.

Just saying about Banette, it can't use Pain Split and Phantom Force in the same set as Pain Split is Gen V tutor move and Phantom Force is Gen VI Egg...

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you're not going to use Knock Off to get rid of items, I'm not sure why you would use this over Embargo, which is already a situational move. Yeah, Embargo lasts until the opponent switches out...but Embargo can cause switches and doesn't hurt you.

I've tried and failed to get Magic Room to be anything but a fun gimmick in OU. I normally play a Magic Room team in UU. Sweeping with a choice banded +6 Azurmarill, +2 Talonflame, or +4-6 Aegislash's priority is fun, but most teams can stop you from setting up. I did find protect and rock head essential on Aegislash for avoiding status during the last turn of magic room and OHKOing Mandibuzz, as well as substitute on Azurmarill to keep it alive to get off a +6 play rough against any counter they switch in before magic room ends. I can't find any powerful base ~80 speed pokemon in OU that desperately need both a scarf and boosts to sweep effectively, probably because if they needed that they would be in UU. The boost in power isn't as impressive in OU either, as plenty of OU pokemon can set up perfectly fine in 1 turn without magic room support, and all the powerful dragon dancers get both a band and a scarf boost in one turn anyway.

Last edited:
So you use gimmicky move just to counter one not too common pokemon which is barely a threat, especcially when you can use knock off, like the person above suggested.
I think your missing the point of me saying that it was a viable eviolite user. I didn't mean you should waste your time with magic room. The post above had said eviolite users wow doublade and I was just pointing out another viable user of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)